Character Builds, Ability Points, & How to Kick Ass Thread

+

Character Builds, Ability Points, & How to Kick Ass Thread

• Primarily Combat Build. Blood and Fear!

Votes: 193 34.9%
  • Mostly Signs. Your Mind Is Mine.

Votes: 74 13.4%
  • Alchemy. Mutant and Proud of It.

Votes: 82 14.8%
  • Hybrid, some of each. Polymath!

Votes: 215 38.9%
  • I also love the General set! Lots of use.

Votes: 27 4.9%
  • Can't decide. Many Respecs lie ahead!

Votes: 37 6.7%

• Total voters
No wonder Death March is like easy mode.

The whole mutegen system was kind of poorly thought out and it's pretty damn bland on top of that. If you go for a hybrid build it's mostly fine since you just get a nice decent bonus to everything but if you go all out with gear and mutegens specing into just one thing like sign intensity it damn near breaks the game

It makes no sense to seperate them in 4 groups with 3 slots...

They could have just had one skill tree with 4 slots for the muts.

I also am not a fan of having to spend points in things that you never use just so you can advance to the next tier.

It makes no sense to seperate them in 4 groups with 3 slots...

They could have just had one skill tree with 4 slots for the muts.

I also am not a fan of having to spend points in things that you never use just so you can advance to the next tier.

Hope there's a mod with TW2/Skyrim system.

So where do you find trolls? I need a liver for an oil.

There is an easy to farm level 10 troll available. In is under a bridge near the crossroads sign post that is directly south of the tree with the spirit that you kill/free. Now the first time there it will be a bandit camp. Kill them. Then leave the area to a different map (White orchard etc.). Save and reload. The troll should be now under the bridge.

Mixing armor and builds viable?

I was thinking of trying a hybrid build to enhance all aspects of my combat style. It goes a little like this;

Defensive: Rolling/dodging and Quen shield. Parry often. Rarely block.

Offensive: Attacking from behind and Igni.

Skills/Abilities: Igni, Quen, fast attacks, Light armor buff, Adrenaline points to cast signs, generate Adrenaline using Signs, attacks from behind and anything that helps gain Adrenaline faster. (Maybe extra health).

So with that I would think boots, gloves and trousers should be Feline, chest should be Griffin. Steel Sword would be Ursine and Silver Sword would be Griffin.

I don't really like the Feline swords because they improve Aard which I never use and the bleeding effect doesn't seem to be all that damaging. Ursine builds Adrenaline and if I have the ability that allows Signs to cast using Adrenaline I could build it much faster. With full Adrenaline I can put up Quen and then cast Igni like 3 times in a row lol.

Oh and I never use potions all that much, not being able to take some of them while in combat seems counter-productive. I could have 3 melee skills in one tree, 2 more melee with 1 yellow with red mutagen in the other. 3 Sign skills in one tree with blue mutagen and 3 yellow in their own with green mutagen. Also, is Witcher armor all that great? I've seen armor with vitality and attack power with some other good stats that are not on Witcher gear. I feel like I should be able to take on enemies 6 levels above me, but I can't.

Last edited:
@Slevin424 A word of advice. Once you're around level 20 or so, the Aquired Tolernace skill in tier 1 of the Alchemy tree is really, really good. It increases your toxicity so much you can pretty much drink every potion in your eventory. Since it's only a tier 1 skill you don't have to get other Alchemy skills to get it.

On top of this, there is a way to drink more than two potions mid-combat. Just go to your inventory screen, click on a potion, and press whatever button it is that says "drink." I understand this method is more tedious with a console controller, but I'm playing on PC and I typically drink 5 or 6 potions every battle. Then, when my bouses expire mid-combat, I drink White Honey to clear my toxicity and drink all 6 potions agian. This way, the only thinf you really need equiped to your "quick drink slots" is food for a little extra mid-combat health regen.

@Slevin424 A word of advice. Once you're around level 20 or so, the Aquired Tolernace skill in tier 1 of the Alchemy tree is really, really good. It increases your toxicity so much you can pretty much drink every potion in your eventory. Since it's only a tier 1 skill you don't have to get other Alchemy skills to get it.

On top of this, there is a way to drink more than two potions mid-combat. Just go to your inventory screen, click on a potion, and press whatever button it is that says "drink." I understand this method is more tedious with a console controller, but I'm playing on PC and I typically drink 5 or 6 potions every battle. Then, when my bouses expire mid-combat, I drink White Honey to clear my toxicity and drink all 6 potions agian. This way, the only thinf you really need equiped to your "quick drink slots" is food for a little extra mid-combat health regen.

Meh, I don't ever think I'll use potions that much. Oil and combo potion maybe heals and that's it. But thanks for the advice, what about the armor and sword mix is that a good idea?

I think I'm pretty much settled on my final build. Currently level 18, but I can see the end build. It will be as follows:

- 9 Sign abilities
- Griffin School (for stamina regen and Sign intensity)
- Acquired Tolerance (for decoctions)
- Synergy (for more mutagen boost)

All 4 Greater Blue Mutagens. All griffin gear. Swords can be whatever. I am looking at Feline swords to start with, but might change as stronger weapons become available.

Igni can easily kill off the strong monsters that ignite. Weak stuff like drowners, nekkers, humans, hags can be Aard+OHKO. Strong monsters than don't ignite like elementals and wraiths can be taken down quickly with decoctions like Archgriffin decoction and Reliever's decoction. Healing is covered by Ekhidna decoction.

I haven't seen all of the enemies in this game, but I doubt any will give me trouble with this build.

decided to share my build, http://goo.gl/oC0uYy alchemist with heavy attacks, last 2 slots are interchangeable
lategame with 3rd grade potions(blizzard especially, thats why adrenalin skill in red tree) Geralt becomes nearly unkillable and still does a lot of damage with heavy attacks, liked it a lot, finally a good alchemy tree in witcher <3

I was mostly joking.

The concept art for the armor was amazing, yeah. What we have in-game isn't nearly as impressive. I just try not to think about it :(

Guest 3800752

Post your build / armor combination

So, everything is in the title : I've seen many interesting builds on youtube, and with the weekly DLC, I'm curious about how people will build around Griffin, Feline, Bear and Wolf armor. Don't forget to add your level and explain the purpose of your build, and why you like to play it !

Currently level 20, but I can see the end build. It will be as follows:

- 9 Sign abilities

All 4 Greater Blue Mutagens. All griffin gear. Swords can be whatever.

Igni can easily kill off the strong monsters that ignite. Weak stuff like drowners, nekkers, humans, hags can be Aard+OHKO. Strong monsters than don't ignite like elementals and wraiths can be taken down quickly with decoctions like Archgriffin decoction and Reliever's decoction. Healing is covered by Ekhidna decoction.

I haven't seen all of the enemies in this game, but I doubt any will give me trouble with this build.

Few videos of this build in action:
Contract against various Nekkers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP5n16l_tMw
Lv 22 Fiend vs Lv 15 Geralt - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-PPA0gHvLU
Lv 24 Earth Elemental vs Lv 17 Geralt - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCahNuZhqtk
Lv 48 Archgriffin vs Lv 20 Geralt - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp6UPiQFKwc

Last edited:

Guest 3800752

Currently level 20, but I can see the end build. It will be as follows:

- 9 Sign abilities

All 4 Greater Blue Mutagens. All griffin gear. Swords can be whatever.

Few videos of this build in action:
Contract against various Nekkers - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP5n16l_tMw
Lv 22 Fiend vs Lv 15 Geralt - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-PPA0gHvLU
Lv 24 Earth Elemental vs Lv 17 Geralt - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCahNuZhqtk
Lv 48 Archgriffin vs Lv 20 Geralt - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp6UPiQFKwc

That's a nice mage build.

Anyone with a full combat build experience ?

I went "Fast" build.

5 Levels in: Precision, Precise Blows, Whirl, Crippling Blows, Fleet Footed, Razor Focus.
2 Levels in: Murderous Precision, Undying (and Strength Training for level requirement)
1 Level in: Arrow Deflection.
Cat School
Yrden
5 Levels in: Poisoned Blades, Protective Coating

3 Greater Reds, 1 Greater Blue. Mix of Quen and Igni Glyphs. Mostly burning and stun runes (though I seldom see them active).

Freya Armour (178, 1 Slot), Assassin Gauntlets (70, 1 Slot +10% Crit %), Assassin Trousers (74, 2 Slots), Assassin Boots (73, 1 Slot)

This is a very powerful combat build, (though a bit weak against stronger monsters ~ I can swap in my Mastercrafted Ursine or Wolven torso armour for only modest reductions in damage dealt but significant increases in armour and resistance).
I can choose to fight "up close and personal" with whirl (staimina use only, in short bursts) (and the 6% per-hit instant kill on the second and third repeats will often do for even serious monster threats - most don't last that long)... or I can work patiently, landing a single hit and evading away for a guaranteed 750+ damage against almost all monsters per hit. (Drowners the most notable exception, but they have no other resistances, so are vulnerable to just basic attacks).

It has been fun since returning to the 'post-end' game to find a "rusty Novigrad sword" and de-equip my silver... still one shotting most mobs (and in a way, that I'd rather see more of in just 'vanilla play'... small amounts of "up front" damage and death some 4-5 seconds later. I'm doing 66-67 damage against "the wrong type of mob". Need to look out a monster with armour to see how viable such a weak weapon could be.) (The problem is that almost all dropped swords are roughly equal to my own "mastercrafted" weapons, so only the "rusty" weapons are still low value. (This also makes it very tricky to find a merchant who can buy even one or two weapons/armours).

Currently have 430kg of luggage (poor Roach).

Last edited:
I used my respec potion and switched to Alchemy at level 25. Wow, love the spec. Ability to carry 8 bombs in each slot is HUGE

Top Bottom