Some numbers regarding PC sales of Witcher 3

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Some numbers regarding PC sales of Witcher 3

GOG posted a vid for Witcher 3 and their new client Galaxy:

In the video it's mentioned that in the first 2 weeks The Witcher 3 has sold over 1 million copies on PC. Quite interesting.

It did make me think, in light of the recent sales numbers and the numbers mentioned in this vid, could CDPR have been able to pull this game off if they kept Witcher 3 as a PC exclusive?

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
It's interesting. Too bad we don't know how many people own multiple systems and chose to purchase it for console instead of PC.

I know, people will think I'm trolling. But, people DO sometimes prefer to just sit down and play an RPG on the couch. One of my friends had a really nice PC I built him and yet he still forked over lotsa cash to play the same games on console because he just liked it better.

I think people like that are in a much bigger portion of the average gaming player base [not just witcher] than PC only enthusiasts. I just don't know how much overlap there is.

Enough to make up another half million? I wouldn't be surprised, honestly.

EDIT: In case anyone else is thinking "hook the pc up to the tv with a gamepad"... that works great... so long as you don't want to also have your pc at a desk since it's also your Adobe workstation. I'm talking mainly about convenience and type of play...

Some people have the opportunity to play two ways and I'm interested in what numbers chose what. 1.3 M is a lot of players to begin with... a PC exclusive might have easily been 2M+ but I don't know of anyone who collects multi-choice preference data.

Last edited:
Weren't they only given the extra budget because the game was coming to consoles as well? They'd probably be able to pull it off as a PC exclusive, but I think it'd be a tremendous blow to them financially. That'd probably cause their future titles such as Cyberpunk to take a significant dip in quality to compensate for the exorbitant amount of money they poured into The Witcher 3 and they'd probably cancel the two upcoming expansions like they did with The Witcher 1.

If total sales are 4millions, PC 1 million, that would be equal to 25% of total sales. The Witcher 3 are made for 3 platforms: PC, PS4, XBOX1. An equal portion would be 33.3333333%, so 25% is not bad at all.

If The Witcher 3 is a PC exclusive, I believe the sale would be higher than that. The recommended requirement is also reasonable and doesn't need a monster PC. They could have partnered with Nvidia/ATI for making up for more sales since the game will boost GPU sales with bundles. (cmiiw)

I remember them saying that for the PS4 they sold 63% of all, with 25% für PC that would suggest 12% on Xbone, not that believable :)

edit: the 63% were in the Uk

Last edited:
Believe me, GOG need to localized their currency. If they do so, they'll see their sales skyrocket on PC.

yes and they would have probably made even more money than releasing it also for consoles ( one single platform to devs for, no need for external console specific tools to use and learn, devs team at least cut in half, no need to downscale/downgrade assets or however you wanna call it, shorter dev time )

remember that they have to pay fees to MS and Sony juste to have the rights to release anything on their hardware and if am not mistaken they even pay them to release patches, unless that changed

on PC they dont pay anyone, on gog sales they are probably near 100% benefits; beside Valve ( they take 30% i think ? ) patch are free to release at their convinience even on steam, hosting/community tools are free on steam too , included in the 30% cut i guess

now factor all of the money saving they could have done without releasing it on consoles, plus you dont have to spend a craptone of money on marketing to attract PC players, most are aware of whats going on, the user base is smaller and more hardcore, and actually has way more money to spend then the average consoles player

but well who knows whats their exact goal was

consoles have way more visibility than PC , and they arnt as " nerdy " as PC, yes still to these day the mass think that anyone who play on PC is a nerdy geek

Last edited:
yes and they would have probably made even more money than releasing it also for consoles ( one single platform to devs for, no need for external console specific tools to use and learn, devs team at least cut in half, no need to downscale/downgrade assets or however you wanna call it, shorter dev time )

remember that they have to pay fees to MS and Sony juste to have the rights to release anything on their hardware and if am not mistaken they even pay them to release patches, unless that changed

on PC they dont pay anyone, on gog sales they are probably near 100% benefits; beside Valve ( they take 30% i think ? ) patch are free to release at their convinience even on steam, hosting/community tools are free on steam too , included in the 30% cut i guess

now factor all of the money saving they could have done without releasing it on consoles, plus you dont have to spend a craptone of money on marketing to attract PC players, most are aware of whats going on, the user base is smaller and more hardcore, and actually has way more money to spend then the average consoles player

but well who knows whats their exact goal was

consoles have way more visibility than PC , and they arnt as " nerdy " as PC, yes still to these day the mass think that anyone who play on PC is a nerdy geek

I think for steam, they still take 30% less cut. Those who really wanted to support CDPR would go for GOG. I didn't go for GOG this time because of their downgrade and keeping silence for parity. Back then i used to support them by buying 2 copies but no more now as they aren't really honest anyway.

I know, people will think I'm trolling. But, people DO sometimes prefer to just sit down and play an RPG on the couch. One of my friends had a really nice PC I built him and yet he still forked over lotsa cash to play the same games on console because he just liked it better..

My TV is connected to my PC, so whenever i want to play more comfy, i just take a controller and sit on my couch. You don't need a console for that, just a HDMI cable and maybe a bluetooth stick, so you don't even need a cable for the controller.

I am doing this for like 6-7 years now.

No need to develop for multiple platforms, no need to downgrade the game (too much), no need to make deals with Microsoft / Sony. The game could probably have released sooner as well, because they wouldn't be hit by roadblocks such as the Xbone. Let's be honest here, they needed the extra time because of the included consoles as well.

The extra additions obviously bloated the budget to higher levels, compared to a focused PC release first and maybe consoles at a later date. Imagine how much money this game would've cost if it was Ubisoft, EA or some other large company making it instead.

If DX12/ Vulkan had been released before Witcher 3 was in development, then that would probably have reduced development time as well.

Last edited:
No need to develop for multiple platforms, no need to downgrade the game (too much), no need to make deals with Microsoft / Sony. The game could probably have released sooner as well, because they wouldn't be hit by roadblocks such as the Xbone. Let's be honest here, they needed the extra time because of the included consoles as well.

The extra additions obviously bloated the budget to higher levels, compared to a focused PC release first and maybe consoles at a later date. Imagine how much money this game would've cost if it was Ubisoft, EA or some other large company making it instead.

If DX12/ Vulkan had been released before Witcher 3 was in development, then that would probably have reduced development time as well.

CDPRO already came out and said were it not for the console cash cow this game would be a 10th of the game with just better graphics if it went PC only. Take for instance Skyrim with all the mod capabality perks, one would think PC sales would dominate one of the highest selling games in video game history. Nope, not even close

http://www.statisticbrain.com/skyrim-the-elder-scrolls-v-statistics/
Source: Bethesda Game Studios, Steam, Zenimax
Xbox3, 59pct unit sales
PS2, 27pct
PC, 14pct

You can hook your PC up to a television, and this game has fantastic controller support on the PC.

That's your best possible experience right there. You get the graphical quality, performance, and vastly superior load times of the PC, and you can still sit down on the couch to play on a monster TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom