Alchemy and Crafting Thread

+
Many people have stated that the alchemy system, while convenient, is less immersive and detracts form the "Witcher" experience presented in in the other games. Considering that all other aspects of a Witcher's work are handled so well (investigate, Witcher senses, etc.), it's a real shame that alchemy is approached so casually. My suggestions to remedy that:
- Remove auto refill (or make it optional) and make potions, oils, bombs, etc. consumables, akin to the alchemy system of TW1+2
- Make potions and decoctions last longer and give them lengthy drinking animation, so that drinking them in combat becomes a more tactical choice
- Creating alchemical items for the first time should stay as is, but refilling/remaking them should take less ingredients
- Make it possible to extract alchemical ingredients from other items (like crafting components or food/drink items)

Imho the autorefill feature is the best thing... I have played previous Witcher games, both on the hardest difficulty (excluding permadeath in W2) and I had been using alchemy very very occaisionally because of constant need of farming herbs. This way it is viable choice to even specialize your character development into alchemy tree.
Make potions and decoctions last longer and give them lengthy drinking animation, so that drinking them in combat becomes a more tactical choice
This sounds great.
I would also suggest making it unable to use potions/bombs/oils which aren´t equipped unusable during combat, on the balance the number of slots for potions/bombs should be increased (maybe depending on gear level- mastercraft witcher gear with 5 slots would be nice) and oils should last longer, or add some oil slots as well (it´s annoying when you have to open your inventory everytime you want to reapply or even check remaining value of oil).

Creating weapons and armor -disappointing

one thing that has really disappointed me in the game is the lack of options while creating swords and armors. i kept waiting to level up and a new option to open where i could add runes or mutagens into my items to increase their attributes. kind of cheesy that you will find weapons and armor with defense and offense capabilities but you can't control this at all.
should add an update or "DLC" that gives Geralt or some special smith(s) the knowledge to do special crafting that includes slots for runes and\or mutagens. or maybe learn how to do certain upgrades by dismantling items or something similar.

While I agree that the devs were right to emphasize the initial crafting of potions, oils, bombs and decotions, for my tastes the autorefill from alcohol is too thin given how abundant alcohol is anyway. It makes me wonder why the devs even bothered with that meager requirement. I better system might be that any alcohol will refill basic potions, dwarven spirits advanced potions and alcohest for superior. Of course there needs to be a lot less free alcohol in the world.

The idea of being a witcher is that you are a professional who minds the tools of his trade. As it stands it is virtually impossible to be caught out not minding these tools. And I don't think that is interesting for the player.

A similar system could be worked out for bombs oils and decotions.

Problem with the loots system is, alcohol can be found where ever there is alcohol, so most barrels and casks, kitchens, etc. One way to remedy the abundance of alcohol would be to make it necessary for Geralt to actually hold flasks and bottles in order to even take liquids with him, he doesn't find in such containers.

However, I sill think auto refill should be, at least, optional for people that don't want to handle alchemy as simple buff/skill system, and more as a craft. I mean, let's be sincere, but most people only ever use swallow and thunderbolt on a regular basis... most other potions are very situational. Giving them longer durations and only let them use those potions during combat have actually equipped, maybe would let them think more about them...

I also agree that different armors should hold more or less usable item... say, 1-3 potions (bandoleer) and 1-3 bombs (belt) - maybe they could even be visible on Geralt's person. Oils and decoctions should only be taken in preparation of a battle, after meditating, not on the fly, during combat.

Last edited:
For crafting, i would suggest one simple thing - make smiths and armourers manufacture variable level weapons, instead of fixed. This way, player would be rewarded getting access to Master smith or armourer by being able to get Master level items with high level stats, while Journeyman and amateur would only create lower level stuff.

Also, there should be some way to reforge existing equipment/weapon to higher level version. Just make it consume additional resources and money, so player would be able to increase the level of his equipment instead of throwing it away or dismantling it. There is a lot of people who like the initial Wolf school armor, but that armor gets totally obsolete within prologue so there is no way somebody could wear it later. With ability to improve armor level, player would need to search for high level armourers to increase the level up (let say amateurs would improve it up to level 8, journeyman could do it up to level 12 and Master could do it up to maximum level (based on actual character level, so master armourer would be able to fit the armor to current level for a hefty sum of money)..

Same could apply to weapons as well, so if player finds a Moonblade level 1, he would be able to reforge it for higher level instead of throwing it away or selling it immediately when he finds it. Instead, actual custom effect of those weapons would be much more important, while base damage would scale based on weapon level..

for alchemy, i have few suggestions - most important is to greatly reduce amount of Dwarwen Spirit loot in the world. There is just way too common, so player practically doesn't need to buy it at all... Alcohol should be also a bit costlier, so player is forced to spend his money on it.

Another thing that could go with alchemy would be cooking - just make some cooking recipies so player can roast all that raw meat into roasted meat or something.. plus, it would be a good idea make fresh meat become rotten over time, so hoarding a ton of fresh meat would be relatively pointless.

and third - one idea with decocion potions - what about making them nonrefilable, but instead having let say 10 doses. This way, some very powerful potions would be restricted to 10 uses thorough the game, so player would have to decide when he wants to use them, instead of repeating certain pattern over and over before every battle.

Last edited:
As far as crafting goes: Absolutely agree to crafting on lower levels/reforging... right now, you mostly wait for your level to reach the level you have a good crafting diagram for... that's not fun. Like found items, you should be able to craft higher level items for your current level, and upgrade them later. Linking that to the blacksmith/armorers level (1-10 apprentice, 11-20 journeyman and 21-30 master) would be fine.

There should be some difference between items. Let say Master items should be exactly that - crafted by a master, therefore would have fixed lower level (let say 13 or 15) that would be quite high. Relic items could be reforgable from level 1 to level 99, while normal items could have restricted upper level (not reforgable beyond level 13 or 15), so they would never overcome Master crafted weapons and armors.

I was waiting for the 1.05 patch to post my list of suggestions in hopes that some of these might be fixed. I think these small fixes should be high priority for the next patch to smooth out the few pain points in this otherwise outstanding game. Here they are, most of which I'm sure we can agree would polish things up:

1. Inventory: We need a bank or storage system to offload items into instead of carrying everything in the entire game 24/7.
  2. Inventory: Add a method to sort by weight and another to sort by value.
  3. Inventory: Add a separate page for notes/books and another page for crafted alchemy items (potions etc).
  4. Map: A single filter option to remove all completed map objectives!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  5. Map: Should show the nearest 5-10 quest objectives.
  6. UI: The buffs take up way too much space. With the armor buff, weapon buff, a decoction, and places of power, it fills up the entire screen. Make it smaller and more compact when you have more than 2-3 buffs.
  7. UI: A single button or option to disable all UI elements (for taking screenshots). Or a new keyboard button that takes a screenshot without the UI.
  8. Crafting: Please for the love of god a sort or filter for unusable items (too high in level) or bad items (lower in damage or armor). Trying to find an upgrade in the crafting menu is annoying since it always lists 100+ items and there is zero sorting by damage, armor, or level!!!!
  9. Crafting: Show number of sockets when viewing diagram. Huge oversight on this one because you never know the # sockets before crafting.
  10. Looting: Allow looting by where camera is facing, not only where Geralt is facing.
  11. Quests: Quests page should always open to the category of the current quest.
  12. Quests: Completed quests needs sorting (why is it not sorted alphabetically or by level?), and some way to easily call up the last completed quest (a Recently Completed Quests section or a button to press when you complete a quest that opens the Quest page to that specific quest so you can read what Dandelion wrote)
  13. AI: Often humans or monsters will stand there not moving toward you or will not attack.
  14. AI: The leashing boundary is too strict. It should be based on distance from Geralt to the monster; not some invisible wall.

Last edited:
Many people have stated that the alchemy system, while convenient, is less immersive and detracts form the "Witcher" experience presented in in the other games. Considering that all other aspects of a Witcher's work are handled so well (investigate, Witcher senses, etc.), it's a real shame that alchemy is approached so casually. My suggestions to remedy that:

- Remove auto refill (or make it optional) and make potions, oils, bombs, etc. consumables, akin to the alchemy system of TW1+2
- Make potions and decoctions last longer and give them lengthy drinking animation, so that drinking them in combat becomes a more tactical choice
- Creating alchemical items for the first time should stay as is, but refilling/remaking them should take less ingredients
- Make it possible to extract alchemical ingredients from other items (like crafting components or food/drink items)
Amen.
To all of that.

What's the point of having herbs literally sprouting up all over the place, being buried and lumbered with the remains of slain creatures and stumbling over all kinds of alcohol in what feels like every 25 meters or so if you only use a fraction of all that for the initial crafting and the two upgrading opportunities further down the line?
Why not have recrafting/refilling procedures use a lessened amount of the initially required ingredients + alcohol instead of just alcohol, like it's currently in place? Not to mention that it makes no sense whatsoever to refill or recharge a bomb with... only alcohol? Talk about oversimplifying things maybe a bit too much.

Just... let all those herbs, creature remains and alcohol I think a lot of people pick up just like they pick up all the things in other games as well be put to the use they've been put into the game for in the first place. Which shouldn't just be selling it as excess to the next merchant or herbalist as means of making some extra crowns.

Of course there's also the possibility of just throwing away empty or discharged alchemical items and recraft them all over again (which I do and still favor over the auto-refilling mechanic, by the way) but considering some of the downsides this comes with the option to turn off auto-refill AND the proposed changes to the refilling/recharging material requirements should do the trick as well.

What I'd like to see 'return to the fold' is how recipes or schematics would allow for the required ingredients to be switched out for other ingredients as long as they share at least one of the additional or secondary substances (like Hydragenum or Vermillion) ingredients are made of in the first place.

I think it's self-explanatory that this would add a decent amount of flexibility to the alchemy system while at the same time not overcomplicate things too much (could be hidden behind a simple 'advanced tooltips' option showing additional information when ticked for instance) and also mitigate some, as far as I'm concerned, a little too strict ingredient requirements like Arachas Venom for Tawny Owl, which may be a bit too hard to come by if you don't know the spots Arachae can be found at.
Just put another ingredient that consists of one (or more) secondary substance(s) it happens to share with Arachas Venom (which you may be short of in that moment) in place of Arachas Venom and you're good to (re)craft or recharge that Tawny Owl potion just as well.

Witcher 3 is my first time playing in the series and I absolutely love it. I got a new sword with 3 THREE! rune slots and I was gassed up to finally put my collection of materials scavenged meticulously from every nook and cranny of the world to use.

I remembered that the pellar had a huge stock of rune recepies, so I went down the list and started picking out the stats I wanted (not the most expensive, but the reasonably priced middle-of-the-road ones) and BAM! i spent a whole ~ 600 gold on them.

But THEN I noticed I needed not one, but TWO versions of the lesser rune to craft them, and more then that - I needed two generic runestones to craft those!

By the time I purchased all the plans, it came out to around 1200. I had 100g left, and still didnt have the materials needed to upgrade my shiny new sword.

Instantly visions of my half full health bar flashed before my eyes - Im already scraping by, eating raw wolf liver and onions during and after every bandit camp.

So I did the only reasonable thing - I reloaded a previous save, and purchased a few lesser runes outright from different merchants, and still had enough to buy a few whole roasted chickens for my adventures in the bogs of Velen.

Now I look a little differently at every bread knife, conch shell and monster brain I loot. Why bother when I can just pop into town and get what I want, without all the hassle of crafting it myself?

(In summation - Maybe this is a case of having champagne tastes and a beer budget, but I think rune crafting costs need to be adjusted)

Pretty much the only major gripes I still have with the game after 3 weeks of playing is with alchemy and how it's been unnecessarily dumbed down and tailored to a more casual and shallow playstyle. It's like the devs cut away all the delicious meat leaving only the bare bones for you to sink your teeth in. Very disappointing to say the least.

I was going to list a couple of things that could really improve things in the long run (Enhanced Edition?) but luckily some of you fine people already summed it up perfectly:

"- Remove auto refill (or make it optional) and make potions, oils, bombs, etc. consumables, akin to the alchemy system of TW1+2
"

"What's the point of having herbs literally sprouting up all over the place, being buried and lumbered with the remains of slain creatures and stumbling over all kinds of alcohol in what feels like every 25 meters or so if you only use a fraction of all that for the initial crafting and the two upgrading opportunities further down the line?
Why not have recrafting/refilling procedures use a lessened amount of the initially required ingredients + alcohol instead of just alcohol, like it's currently in place? Not to mention that it makes no sense whatsoever to refill or recharge a bomb with... only alcohol? Talk about oversimplifying things maybe a bit too much.
"

"Just... let all those herbs, creature remains and alcohol I think a lot of people pick up just like they pick up all the things in other games as well be put to the use they've been put into the game for in the first place. Which shouldn't just be selling it as excess to the next merchant or herbalist as means of making some extra crowns."

"What I'd like to see 'return to the fold' is how recipes or schematics would allow for the required ingredients to be switched out for other ingredients as long as they share at least one of the additional or secondary substances (like Hydragenum or Vermillion) ingredients are made of in the first place.

I think it's self-explanatory that this would add a decent amount of flexibility to the alchemy system while at the same time not overcomplicate things too much (could be hidden behind a simple 'advanced tooltips' option showing additional information when ticked for instance) and also mitigate some, as far as I'm concerned, a little too strict ingredient requirements like Arachas Venom for Tawny Owl, which may be a bit too hard to come by if you don't know the spots Arachae can be found at.
Just put another ingredient that consists of one (or more) secondary substance(s) it happens to share with Arachas Venom (which you may be short of in that moment) in place of Arachas Venom and you're good to (re)craft or recharge that Tawny Owl potion just as well.
"

Although I'd be okay with a very short drinking animation instead of a lengthy one too.

Last edited:
A good compromise would be a mod that makes it so that all potions, aside from blizzard, Swallow, and White Raffard's Decoction, have 10x (Or a variable time duration for multiple versions of the mod) the duration when used outside of combat. It also uses up all the uses of the potion.

Amen.
To all of that.

What's the point of having herbs literally sprouting up all over the place, being buried and lumbered with the remains of slain creatures and stumbling over all kinds of alcohol in what feels like every 25 meters or so if you only use a fraction of all that for the initial crafting and the two upgrading opportunities further down the line?

Just... let all those herbs, creature remains and alcohol I think a lot of people pick up just like they pick up all the things in other games as well be put to the use they've been put into the game for in the first place. Which shouldn't just be selling it as excess to the next merchant or herbalist as means of making some extra crowns.

Of course there's also the possibility of just throwing away empty or discharged alchemical items and recraft them all over again (which I do and still favor over the auto-refilling mechanic, by the way) but considering some of the downsides this comes with the option to turn off auto-refill AND the proposed changes to the refilling/recharging material requirements should do the trick as well.

What I'd like to see 'return to the fold' is how recipes or schematics would allow for the required ingredients to be switched out for other ingredients as long as they share at least one of the additional or secondary substances (like Hydragenum or Vermillion) ingredients are made of in the first place.

You guys already summed up everything I wanted to say about Alchemy :) I agree completely. It's a shame that all those beautiful herbs and alchemy materials are basically "wasted". I mean, in Witcher 2 I enjoyed going all over the same places, farming herbs to make the potions. And now, in this beautiful vast open world that is the single most beautiful and desirable place where to farm herbs, where you absolutely don't have to be stuck farming on the same spot, the same forest or mountain side - you don't need to do it at all. Get a few herbs, make the pots and then just meditate and drink a bottle of strong spirit - djinn will take care of all your flasks and even bombs (seriously, how can drinking alcohol fix me up with brand new sets of bombs?!).

I understand the reason behind dumbing this down, but honestly, wouldn't it be better to have an option of "Simple Alchemy, on/off"? And everyone who loves immersion would go all over the globe and pick all those herbs and enjoy mixing them together over and over again because that what alchemy is! I understand that some rare ingredients are in play but perhaps as folks above me already said - the return of flexible, delightful and immersive alchemy from Witcher 2 would be in place and perhaps you guys could take it even further? Indeed, rare material needed to craft a potion? Sure thing, but I just happen to be out of gargoyle hearts! Okay, lemme see... why exactly am I adding a gargoyle heart to this decoction? Because it is rich on quicksilver and diamond? Nice, so let me add this nigredo, aether and diamond dust instead of it... splendid! It worked! :) You get the idea.

Please, pretty please! Make alchemy super interesting and complex as it should be!

As for the part about being able to drink anything I want during combat? Immersion breaking for sure! You'd never really see a witcher chugging heavily toxic potions while some lesser vampire is out for your blood! A lengthy combat losing animation, or option to drink potions while sitting/meditating would be in order I think!

No total damage for steel swords in crafting

Not sure if I'm posting this in the right place? sorry, should it be in tech support?

witcher 3 ps4

- When I'm crafting a sword at a blacksmith, the silver swords show overall damage points, but steel swords do not. I have to compare individual stats for steel swords but cannot see total damage. Please fix.

Also agree with the requests for sorting items in the inventory. e.g. Sort equipment just to show weapons/armor/ rune stones; sort usable items to just show books/oils/ food. At the moment I'm scrolling down through about 50 books & oils every time I want to get to some food - it's starting to grind.

Loving the game, but some small tweaks could make the whole interface a lot easier to use and keep us immersed a lot more.

I agree with all the changes setup, but even if the simplified system isn't removed for a better one; potion durations need to increase; starting each potion with at least 5 minutes.

30-40s Thunderbolt; how utterly pointless. Especially if you're like me and you go up against enemies at higher level; you need to hit them so often, Thunderbolt is gone after you've only just managed to beat one of them. You would need to retake the poition for every single enemy you come across; you'll be out of Thunderbold after taking down just one bandit camp; hell, half-way the bandit camp. It's pointless; I don't waste my time anymore with alchemy potions. Just look at Swallow; why waste your time/ Just eat food, works just as well.

And I don't get this; from what I can tell the potion durations are even less than they were in the Witcher 2; and they were too short back then.

So there's a really simple and short animation that plays out when whistling for Roach yet, for whatever reason there's no animation that shows Geralt quaffing a potion during combat. Really?

And yeah, can't say that I'm enjoying this "streamlined" iteration of the alchemy crafting system either. It's saddening to see it so stripped down from TW2's or TW1's which had just the right amount of depth and intricacy to them, without being too tedious or hard to learn and getting used to.
Here's hoping for a mod that, in one form or another provides a remedy to the alchemy crafting system in its current state, once Redkit is released. Unless CDPRED does something about it some time further down the road of course.

Reintegrating secondary substances (like Vitriol or Aether) as components the main ingredients are made of would also be something that's only possible once REDkit is released, right?
Being able to actually switch out certain ingredients as long as they contained the same secondary substance like in TW1 or TW2 is maybe a bit too much to ask for (yet), but would it be possible to somehow bundle certain ingredients according to the secondary substance they all share and then during the crafting process have the game fall back on any ingredient in that group?
For instance, a Vitriol group would be made up of some of the following ingredients (as in The Witcher 1,http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/Vitriol ):
Crow's eye
Hop umbels
Sewant mushrooms
White myrtle petals
Calcium equum
Beast fangs
Bruxa blood
Ghoul blood
Shimmering dust
Now add a few of the rarer ingredients like the Arachas venom from TW3 to that group and theoretically you'd still be able to consistently brew Tawny Owl (which in TW1 needed 1x ingredient containing Vitriol and 2x ingredients containing Aether or in TW2 1x Vitriol, 1x Vermilion, 1x Quebrith and 1x Fulgur) without having to rely on one specific fairly rare main ingredient.
I thought no one would raise this topic! I give best regards to all the people out here. I'm for all you've said. And I really love the w1 alchemy system giving you multiple choice of ingredients and herbs to create one potion that is being able to use different herbs containing the needed element I.e. Aether with albedo, nigredo or rubedo effect. This is what Id like to see in this mod. And I give my big props for making it happen!! Because it's (alchemy system) like a game in the game that makes it fantastic being able to create masterpiece "colorful" potions (I.e. All albedo ingredients in a potion make it less toxic and gives you a chance to drink more portions at a time. Or all rubedo ingredients in a potion make it slightly healing aside from the main effect of the potion. And all nigredo components adds to the damage you deal aside from the main effects of a potion) I do really crave for this cause its knowledge of alchemy that makes a witcher a witcher. If you read the book by Andjey Sapkovsky, then you know what I'm about.
PLEASE MAKE THE ABOVEMENTIONED ALCHEMY SYSTEM. NEEDLESS to SAY ANYTHING ABOUT THE AUTO REFILL THAT IS FOR THOSE ARCADE VANILLA LAZY ASS GAMERS WHO KNOW NOTHING OF THE SAGA.

P.S.: KEEP UP YOUR GOOD WORK AND KEEP IT HARDCORE, MAKE A WITCHER A WITCHER!!! CAUSE A WITCHER IS NOT A WITCHER WITHOUT HIS ALCHEMY KNOWLEDGE!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom