Backing Stuff Up

+
Backing Stuff Up

[size=10pt]I know there are a lot of programs that back things up, but personally, I like to keep the files in "as is" condition, i.e., as they were on the HD. For this purpose, I've always used the DOS command XCOPY in 4 different batch files to do my back-ups with.One backs up a number of different directories in the "MY DOCUMENTS" folder to two thumb drives (128 megs in size). I use two of them in case something happens to one of them (must travel with me or one goes bad, etc).The second one just does a quick back-up of my AOL 'organize' folder to both thumb drives.The third one backs up all game save folders to a 4 gig thumb drive.The forth backs up the entire "MY DOCUMENTS" folder to the D drive, which includes all music and video stuff, as well as the "FAVORITES" folder (for those all-important websites you've bookmarked). This one turns the archive bit 'off' when working, so wheneve I run it, it only backs-up stuff that's been modified since the last back-up.The first one is run every night at 11 as I'm heading off to bed (unless I only need to run the second one, if I haven't saved anything "special" in the other folders), and the games back-up is run every couple of days, depending on whether or not I've made any saves. The full back-up is run just before shutting it down, usually before I leave for work.This discipline works pretty well for me. How about you? What back-up routine do you all use?[/size]

I have an extra hard drive I ghost every once in a while. :whistle:I'd much rather work with cables and components than with software.

HoKyung said:
Hardware raid and the occasional cd-rom/DVD. Perhaps not as safe, but less labour intensive ;)
[size=10pt]Actually, I think a RAID wouldn't be a bad idea, since one you replace a HD and set it up, you can download the stuff directly from the RAID back to where it used to be on the old HD.The one issue with burning files to a CD or DVD is that it takes to make them "read only", so the next time you try to update the file (I.E., a Word document), it'll come to a scretching halt (I believe it'll come back with "file creation error" or something like that).[/size]

Vattier

CD PROJEKT RED
HoKyung said:
Nah, all it takes is for you to take off the read-only tick. No worries there :)
The point is that You can't erase data from CD/DVD or change it later.I don't back-up my stuff. I don't hold anything special that is one, I trust my skills and I am pretty sure I won't destroy my HDD, at least not without willing it :teeth: And the rest I can simply recover from the disc just by using some tool. If I was really afraid to overwrite something I would simply attach my HDD to another PC and there recover files from it.I take it easy :DAnd I would have some request. Could You not enlarge whole text? I believe we can see it good enough when it is small :peace:

Top Bottom