Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all...just need a little bit of a break from the main forums. Wanted to jump in here and say hello. I posted a little something about myself in the 'Express yourself' section. Been gaming a while, played all three Witcher games (beat the first one on an old shoddy laptop I had in West Africa). Also recently started reading the books. I'm currently reading Sword of Destiny and loving it.

Seems like there's a great community here. I feel a little silly not having come on here before, but I guess it's never too late right? Anyway, nice to be here none the less.

Welcome :) Enjoy the books (and then even more the second time around).

---------- Updated at 12:19 PM ----------

Embarrassing question incoming about computers: is it alright to place the more open side of my case facing the wall? I imagine with a few inches to spare so it isn't entirely suffocated.

Otherwise I'll have to place it on the opposite end of the desk where my computer isn't hugging the wall, and I just don't like how it looks. Plus I keep worrying that it'll fall. For some reason.

That sounds rather interesting. Enlightening in what way? Was there flash-photography involved?

i c wat u did thar

no i was left alone in a very poorly designed building for five hours in the middle of the night

amusingly it was the architecture building of a university and it was the most counter intuitive design i have ever experienced

i c wat u did thar

no i was left alone in a very poorly designed building for five hours in the middle of the night

amusingly it was the architecture building of a university and it was the most counter intuitive design i have ever experienced

There is a building at my university that is so confusing, I get so frustrated trying to find the classroom each week. The building has 8 floors, from 10-18 (no idea why they start at 10 but that's another story...) Some stairs lead to floors 10, 12, 16 and sometimes 18, others only lead to odd numbered floors (excluding 13, which like 14 can only be accessed via lift or a blood sacrifice if you're in a hurry and don't want to wait 20 years for the lift to arrive). The stairs are all in weird locations AND what's worse is that sometimes you'll be looking for room 29 (for example) and you'll see room 27 and think 'YAY i'm nearly here I've beaten this god awful maze of a building' and then as you get closer, you see room 28, everything is going well.... until suddenly you see the next room is actually 11.

Then you sit on the floor and cry and fail university.

I need to stop playing TW3. 300 hours in almost a month cannot never be good for my sanity. Well, must admit TW3 has done somethong good in my life. I used to be those people who has the TV on the all long day, not for watching... just for hearing somebody in home beside my cats... This is the first game which makes me forget to switch on TV...

But.... but I actually cannot stop playing!!

Welcome :) Enjoy the books (and then even more the second time around).

---------- Updated at 12:19 PM ----------

Embarrassing question incoming about computers: is it alright to place the more open side of my case facing the wall? I imagine with a few inches to spare so it isn't entirely suffocated.

Otherwise I'll have to place it on the opposite end of the desk where my computer isn't hugging the wall, and I just don't like how it looks. Plus I keep worrying that it'll fall. For some reason.

How's your cooling system? Do you have a fan on the top of the machine or just the side? Mine is sort of sandwiched between the side of the desk and a book shelf and does fine, but I have quite a bit of cooling in there. I guess if you have adequate ventilation, it should be fine. If you want to be really sure, you can download 'hwmonitor' and just monitor the temperature under load (like while playing Witcher 3) and just check it to make sure it seems fine.

I need to stop playing TW3. 300 hours in almost a month cannot never be good for my sanity. Well, must admit TW3 has done somethong good in my life. I used to be those people who has the TV on the all long day, not for watching... just for hearing somebody in home beside my cats... This is the first game which makes me forget to switch on TV...

What's your style of play? Are you more methodical and wander around and explore all the '?' marks or are you replaying the game with moderate quests and stuff while trying different choices? Or I guess you could feasibly do a bit of both...

Last edited:
What's your style of play? Are you more methodical and wander around and explore all the '?' marks or are you replaying the game with moderate quests and stuff while trying different choices? Or I guess you could feasibly do a bit of both...

Yes, both when I can. I enjoy like a child with CDPR Team writers' humor, so I look to everywhere to talk to almost everybody. I waste my time exploring, looting anything (I never could get over my syndrome of Diogenes :p). I use to turn off the ? marks for the pleasure of riding/walking and be surprised (often by mortal opponents an fly as fast I can).

Briefing: TW is like chocolate to me, addictive.

And, by now, I have time for playing.

OOOOOOHHHHHH!!!!!

8.000 posts!!!

Last edited:
There is a building at my university that is so confusing, I get so frustrated trying to find the classroom each week. The building has 8 floors, from 10-18 (no idea why they start at 10 but that's another story...) Some stairs lead to floors 10, 12, 16 and sometimes 18, others only lead to odd numbered floors (excluding 13, which like 14 can only be accessed via lift or a blood sacrifice if you're in a hurry and don't want to wait 20 years for the lift to arrive). The stairs are all in weird locations AND what's worse is that sometimes you'll be looking for room 29 (for example) and you'll see room 27 and think 'YAY i'm nearly here I've beaten this god awful maze of a building' and then as you get closer, you see room 28, everything is going well.... until suddenly you see the next room is actually 11.

Then you sit on the floor and cry and fail university

Same! there's one flight of stairs that lead to a small platform with a lightswitch. just a lightswitch. and (one of) the female bathroom doors? open that and you'll find another door. behind that door is a store room. SO not only does the architecture make zero sense and space warp in on itself, they can't even label doors properly.

AND IT'S THE ARCHITECTURE BUILDING.

WHY

anyway, i dont even attend this specific university, so i am so sorry that you actually have to suffer through such insanity at your own :c

Name him Geralt. . . .

Believe it or not the name was brought up previously and immediately shot down. I also thought Regis had nice rings to it ... but that idea was also vetoed. We have an arrangement where either of us can veto names we don't like. We've got a list of like 10 or so that we've knocked it down to.

Also, thanks for the kind words.

I would totally name my son Zoltan or Geralt... You know, when that time comes

On names (don't be too afraid to click the 'spoilers', as naught is ruined from the games therein):
Both Geralt and Zoltan are very good names, not only because the characters who bear them are bloody fantastic, but also from their etymological roots. Geralt is a variant of Germanic ger 'spear' + wald 'rule, power'. Thus, the name is that of a strong warrior, and may be translated as 'spear-wielder', or 'he who rules by the spear'. As the spear was one of the chief weapons of the old Germanic tribes -- even more so than the sword or axe -- the name carries considerable significance. (The great god Oðin wielded such a spear: Gungnir.) Zoltan, on the other hand is quite different: perhaps defused via Hungarian, the name may be linked to the Turkic honorific title sultan, which in Arabic means 'power, dominion, ruler, king', from Aramaic salita, 'to rule, to overcome.' Thus the name may conjure thoughts of grandeur, and exotic majesty: romances of the Crusades, far eastern campaigns, forbidden herams, and swift scimitars, wielded from astride peerless steeds.

---------- Updated at 06:42 PM ----------

Isengrim is badass name... :D

It is indeed: 'Iron-grim', its possible meaning, though its early associations were not always so straight-faced. It is the name of the vicious wolf of the satirical mediaeval Reynard the Fox romances.

---------- Updated at 06:52 PM ----------

Personally I think Iorveth has a nice sound to it.......... just putting that out there as a suggestion
Also on a name:
Another interesting etymological meaning, if somewhat uncertain: I would hazard the guess that it is a mutated variation of the Welsh name Iorwerth: ior 'lord' + berth 'handsome'. The name appears in the mediaeval Welsh Mabinogion, where it is borne by another rather bitter raider.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom