Witcher 3 - An Open World Game Seriously ??

+
Witcher 3 - An Open World Game Seriously ??

Hello... 1st of all I am a great fan of Wither series & I love Witcher 3 too but its really not a open world game where we can roam freely as well its spoiling all fun by addressing quest difficulty levels by suggesting preferable character level for particular quest.

Level suggestion, auto-drawing and auto-sheathing of swords, auto-refilling this all features making game very easy & its confusing that I am playing the game or computer is doing everything for me ? I am surprise that why don't you give auto fight option too lol

I really want to enjoy witcher 3 on my own. If I by mistake goes to difficult area then I am going to die & I will understand that its not a right time to do that quest & I will improve my self to do that quest as per I want as well we have manual save to to save us from tough situation then why this spoiling fun level warning on quests ?

Due to this suggestion every time I have to check my level & then quest list that am i appropriate for some quest or not as there is a fear of loosing xp points for low level quest.

For showing difficulty of quests just use green, yellow, red colors so that we understand quest is tough but still there is a mystery that how much its going to be tough which is more enjoyable IMHO.

So please remove this level suggesting feature as well low xp if witcher is over level for that particulate quest & give fix xp points for all the quest or just make this features on or off in setting menu.

So over all with this its really not a free game play open world game for me at least. Game itself spoiling all the fun by suggesting & doing all things. :(

it's plain and simple which I have been saying too often leveling in Witcher 3 is promoting a linear path, instead of an open-world.

Last edited:
While i agree with you with auto-sheathing and so on, i think you came into this game thinking i would be more of a sandbox game. Then a game is open world it dosn`t necessarily mean its like skyrim where you can go where ever and the events scale to your level.

The idea with suggested level can for some be annoying, but if it wasn`t there then you i think alot would be angry because they weren`t warned about the danger ahead. You could argue that they could make everything scale, but i think that would remove some of the fun, in killing monsteres that are over your current level ^_^

@soildcake

I am not exactly talking about open wold game like skyrim. I am happy with the witcher 3 world & I even don't want developers to scale the quest as par my level. Please 1st read my post & Understand.

I am just saying make it more enjoyable & mysterious. I want to roam freely in particular map area say white orchard without fear of completing wrong level quest so I just want to play it free without fear whatever the map area is. I am really not looking for open wold where I can go anywhere but at least I can roam within a given map area.

About level suggestion as I mention they can show it via colors like green is ok, yellow is little difficult & red is too dangerous so that its not possible for us to judge the level difficulty. Right now its directly suggesting level so I am always looking for my level to complete that quest in suggested level.

For Example - In white orchard I am always checking my level to complete Devil by the well as its suggested Lvl 2 then Griffin contract Lvl 3 & so on. Its like developers telling me do this do that & I am just a puppet to follow there instruction in fear of loosing xp & other loot :(

We have manual save so even if we face tough quest by accident we only going to die & indirectly going to understand that this is a tough quest & not appropriate for my level. I just want develpoers not to spoil all fun & mystery that's all :)

---------- Updated at 08:28 AM ----------

@Witcher2323 - I think you don't have rights to tell me what should i play & what not Right ??

@Mr_Walker - Ya may be for some players that's why I am not saying to remove it. I am just saying give option to Turn on / off feature for auto-drawing and auto-sheathing of swords, auto-refilling etc.

TW3 is a narrative, not a Bethesda sandbox piece of trash.

It makes suggestions because it is a narrative. if you want to just d*** around for no reason without story, play skyrim or WoW.

I never had a problem with scaling in tw3. I simply did sidequests my level.

They cannot give fix XP because then you'd easily end up on level 40+ and on that level there'd be no challenge at all. The game works best if you finish it around 33 or so. The idea behind the XP approach is that you can play the game the way you want... focus on the main story or do a lot of side quests and stuff without killing the balance. I think the approach is good but the execution still undercooked. You still get too much XP for certain activities even if you're too powerful already.

If there was a special completionist difficulty mode they could be more generous with XP but that would mean raising the difficulty of most quests. For this game that would have been a useful mode.

Auto-drawing of swords doesn't seem necessary i agree. Also the thing with the potion could really be handled a bit better. Then again not all potions do that and in several cases you need to have enough alcohol in your inventory for that to happen. But I'd say bombs are too easy to make considering how powerful some are.

As for the level suggestion... you can ignore that part and at least a few infos you can disable in the hud menu. But TW3 IMO needs that info because areas seems not at all structured in terms of difficulty. Even in Velen a few meters after a level 9 bandid camp you can suddenly meet a level 29 opponent. It's very mixed. Sure that makes it more natural but in terms of open world design this may be something to argue about. I'd say that's one of few things that works significantly better in 'Dragon Age Inquisition'.

@algroshaw - again read my post 1st then comment & another thing I am not a fan of skyrim & I never purchase that game so please stop judging me.

Witcher is my most fevourite rpg game & I just want to enjoy it. I have no problem with the wither world but I just want to roam free within area of map.. That's It.

---------- Updated at 08:37 AM ----------

@devivre - Seriously what are you talking about ??? I mean if i play game as par there suggested level I am going to get the fix xp so I am just saying give that same xp even if I completed same quest on little high level.

Like say Devil by the well quest have 50xp reward & Lvl 2 suggested so I am just saying even if I complete that quest on Lvl 5 still give me 50xp only no less or no more.

Off courese if I moved to next map area quest going to be failed & I don't have any problem with it.

Last edited:
not a Bethesda sandbox piece of trash.

No need to bag other game companies. They're all different games that fit different niches in the "RPG" category. I agree it's a narrative driven game, but it doesn't bolster an argument to throw in gratuitous insults.

I think my thread name goes little wrong as I am really not whining about wither world as I really like it & I am not looking for skyrim type open world.

My issue is quite simple that don't spoil the game by giving level suggestion for quest rather add color warning with green / yellow / red so that we understand quest is tough but we going to face it when ever we want.

As well I am asking for the same xp / rewards which I am going to get if i complete some quest on suggested level if I completed same quest on little higher or low level. I am not asking for more xp.

About all witcher auto actions.. I am asking for on / off feature in settings rather then totally removing it from game.

That's it simple as it is :)

Last edited:
Not to be rude mate,but whenever i read "Witcher 3 is not a true open world" or something like that i stop reading...1st of all they said its multi region open world....means it consist of a few open hubs...and if you didn't get that well....i guess you were so hyped you lost the ability to read,it happens i know :p
2nd if it was truly open world the structure of the game would fall apart...yes its not as free and is focused to a certain extent but to be honest the amount of story driven content would be impossible otherwise...and if you are a fan you do know that when it comes to Witcher games STORY is the most important think,the world and the characters....if they abandoned that for freedom of gameplay i would personally hate them for it...in conclusion what i can tell you is think less Elders Scrolls and more Gothic and you will be fine

@Pawlle - hahaha lol, you prove your point seriously you lost the ability to read,it happens i know :)

1st read my all comments then post buddy. Its really not about the witcher world. Its about roaming free without fear of completing wrong quest while roaming so its all about fearless gaming ;)

I freaking love Skyrim but I love the Witcher 3 more. There is so much confusion over this phrase "open world". Witcher 3 is definitely an open world game. You can explore everywhere within the region you are in. Are you going to eventually explore to the edge of the "map?" Yes, exactly the same in Skyrim. Skyrim is one province within a continent. In Witcher 3 we get to explore and adventure in many provinces.

Ahh okay, i miss understood your what you are says, so sorry about that xD

The idea with just showing colors and not the sugested levels seems like a pretty neat idea, i think it would be a pretty neat idea, esspeselly for a mod (once redkit comes out) :D

@soildcake - Yehh buddy that's what I want to say. Suggestion levels are really spoiling the game as we can measure the quest difficulty by its suggested level & Its really unnecessary as every gamer has a different gaming skills.

So by saying open world I just want to roam freely in given map area & while roaming if I engage with higher level quest & if I successfully complete it by earning good xp points which level me up fast then I don't want to loose xp points on quest which required lower levels.

So in simple I just want fix xp system for all quests so that I roam freely on my horse anywhere whiting map area :)

English is not my primary language so its little hard for me to explain what exactly I want but Trust me I don't have any problem with witcher world. I just failed to explain what i want in thread name :(

Last edited:
I agree. I am not a fan of being hand-held through a game.

Does anyone remember the first Baldur's Gate? There are a lot of extra, non-story related areas that you could go explore or choose to ignore completely. Some were easier, some were harder (basilisks anyone?). The game didn't tell you which areas were which, you were free to find out on your own. Go to the ankheg area above the Friendly Arm Inn at level 2? You'll most likely get destroyed. I don't know, maybe my age is showing, but I prefer that kind of method than "this quest is level 26" being displayed. Makes it feel less immersive, in my opinion.

Oh, it didn't level scale either. No one is asking for that.

@davidj8580 - Finally.. Thanks you so much bro. That's exactly I want to say. Let us explore whatever the map area is by our own without spoiling our fun by suggesting quest levels as even if quest is hard we going to die only but we have manual save system for that.

As well I think if i remember you have option to run from the battle if its too hard as well enemy is indicating his level too so why we need this quest level suggesting feature ??

For example - In white orchard while roaming I came to place where wraith with lamp spawn near Igni power place & I am at level one only so I tried to fight but she is so tough so after losing almost 80% of my health I just ran from that place & I killed that wraith on level four so I just learn from my mistakes & that's what I want from game. By suggesting level game really ruining all mysteries & fun :(

& even if its needed as I said earlier use colors for indicate which is less spoiling.

So I just want to say to developers stop treating us a child by doing most of the witcher actions auto, by suggesting quest levels etc We all ready completed Witcher one & Two so treat us as a pro gamers ;)

Last edited:
I don't see the relation between open-world-yness and your post... What does lvl suggestion, auto-sheathing and auto-refilling have anything to do with open-world? The Witcher 3 is as open-world as it gets really. o_O

@AvengerGrim - Open world means free roaming which witcher 3 advertise but witcher 3 is not allowing me to even roam free in given map ares like white orchard.

While roaming every time I have to check quest list & then map area fot that quest location & then I have to decide should I go there or not as If you miss the low level quests you are not going to get xp points which is ridiculous.

Open world means all our actions are responsible for final result but In witcher 3 sword-draw / sheathing and potion / bomb refilling is auto & we only have to do battle so its really not a total freedom for open word game.

By saying open world game not only means border less maps but its about game play too. Giving freedom in game play is most important thing for me specailly if the game is open world but Witcher 3 not giving me that much freedom.

I hope you understand my point as I am sure you really not read my previous post where I said I did mistake in My thread title but still i hope its serving its purpose :)

Last edited:
it's plain and simple which I have been saying too often leveling in Witcher 3 is promoting a linear path, instead of an open-world.

Open world doesn't mean that you can go in every place when you want.
Or better, you can go, but if you encounter an more higher levelled enemy, you're fucked.
Linearity is the only way to add focus on the main quest. And in fact, you get xp from that. The idea is...you should be focus on the main quest, doing sidequests in the area where the main quest lead you.

I agree with you about the auto-shit.
I really don't understand what's the point in the auto drawning swords. It's a useless noobification.

Top Bottom