Fantasy literature

+
Fantasy literature

(I did my search before opening this thread, but i didn't find an older one). In this thread we can discuss about books we read with our favourite subject: fantasy. New, old, epic , scientific fantasy... Whatever you read at the time, or have read before and you like to talk about.So, i 'll start with the saga of Elric of Melnibone.
It 's written by Michael Moorcok. He started writting the saga at the half of the 1950's decade. (And i just discovered it :D )! Elric is a very strange figure. Albino, but with red eyes instead of white, with a weak body, he lives only by drinking some rare potions. Emperor of Melnibone, a kingdom that once ruled the world, now forgotten. People of Melnibone worship the Lords of Chaos. They are cruel and selfish, and this idealist, philosopher and weak king doesn't seem the right ruler for this land.Elric knows that, and some times wished to leave. Fate agrees with him, and so Elric of Melnibone becomes an adventurer. With the cursed sword Stormbringer in his hand, he 'll become a blood thirsted demon...A very dark story (i haven't finished it yet, i 'm on the second book), with philosophical thoughts, sarcastic humor and fairy-tale-nightmares scenes. I 'm just addicted, can't stop reading! It 's a very different saga from all these epic fantasy books that they talk about heroes who save the world, or bad kings and good kings... This is more bitter, like Sapkowski's. Anyone knows about Elric of Melnibone?

very nice artwork and a good description ... i *think* i recall a discussion some time in the past the mentioned Elric and Stormbringer, but possibly not where they came from. It does sound pretty cool ... sorry i can't give you any real information, but thanks for giving me a addition to my "to read" list :wave:

First some new suggestions:Reaver Road and Hunters Haunt by Dave Duncan. Hilarious black comedy about a storyteller that uses his skill to manipulate dire circumstances.The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch. Mirth and daring do by a consummate con man. His words may get him in trouble but they also get him out of it.The First Law series by Joe Abercrombie. Recently written old school Swords and Sorcery romp. Involves legendary fighter that at first seems to be a second rate Conan wannabee. Story unfolds and the reader is enlightened :)Fafrd and Mouser in Fritz Leibers Lanhkmar adventures. Old old school Swords and Sorcery written in excellent prose. Short stories and novels.Red Orm a.k.a. The Long Ships by Frans G. Bengtsson. Viking tales set in the tenth century. Lots of derring do and stone cold one liners.Cutting and pasting my post about favourite books:Some favorites that are tangential to the subject of 'The Witcher': 'The Dark Glory War' and the following 'DragonCrown War' chronicles by Stackpole. The protagonist in TDGW really gets a bum deal The Malazan books by Erikson and Esslemont. Everyone featured in the book gets the aforementioned bum deal. Prince of Nothing by Bakker. Graduate of DIY psychopath university gives everyone else a bum deal. Black Company series by Cook. People who have got a bum deal gets recruited for a new bum deal. At least its a change

Ian Irvine - http://www.ian-irvine.com/One of my all-time favourite authors :) He's written a sci-fantasy series called The Three Worlds Cycle. This cycle consists of (thus far):The View From The Mirror quartet.The Well of Echoes quartetThe Song Of The Tears Trilogy (one book remaining, should be published soon)and eventually we will get a single volume titled, The Fate Of The Children His storylines tend to be quite large and arc over several books, if not spanning hundreds of Santh-years years across multiple collections, so it's a little hard to sum them up in a blurb for you :) Taken directly from his website:"The Three Worlds Cycle comprises a series of at least twelve books set on the three linked worlds of Santhenar, Aachan and Tallallame. The cycle details the struggle for survival between four human species: old humans, Aachim, Faellem and Charon, as well as a variety of other creatures, both intelligent and beastly (and some of the humans can be pretty beastly too!)... Most of the action takes place on Santhenar and occurs over a period of roughly two hundred and fifty years."Ian Irvine is an absolute masterful storyteller. His style of writing is not for everybody, though. If you like grand, Tolkien-esque prose wherein it takes 3 pages to describe a mountain, then you may not enjoy these books. Ian Irvine doesn't belt you about the head with grand themes, poetry or morals, he just tells you the damned story :) He uses his characters and their choices as the vehicle to propel the story forward, not themes with characters who fit various molds tacked on. If you head to the link I posted earlier, there's a free story posted (set in his near-future, eco-terrorism action universe, but the writing style is the same) along with the first chapters to his books, so it's a very good way to see the writing style. What I love is that there is no good or evil in his worlds - in fact, that's one of the taglines for his early books: "there's no good or evil in nature, just survival or extinction." :) Good vs evil battles annoy me, as they play out as one giant chess game :( Ian's characters are flawed, they are prone to very human failings (like fear, insecurity or jealousy) and in tense or very important situations, it's just as likely that one of his characters will make a mistake or falter in some epically bad way which will cause the situation to turn really bad. His world building skills are just about second to none, I'd say :) In fact, he started out just by building worlds as a hobby; moon phases, tidal shifts, plate tectonics, ecological changes, migrationary patterns over centuries, culture histories, the whole lot. Then he put a few characters in there and just started writing. The effect is a tremendously realistic backdrop that become just as much a character as his actual characters.Ok ok, that's enough for now :p I've read the entire series over 13 times, and I'm on my 4th copy of A Shadow On The Glass because I've read them so much they fall apart :D So yeah, little bit of a fan here :)

Thanks for the tip about Ian Irvine :) I do enjoy world building writers and ambiguous or opaque morals and motive. I also like transparent prose as well as journalistic style writing. Dry dark humour is also appreciated.Have you read the Malazan books? Erikson is an anthropologist and archaeologist as well as a RPG player. Back history spans several time frames depending on context and plot line. It goes from spur of the moment emotional incidents to hundreds of thousands of years of patient plotting and some unfathomable Cosmological incident way back that is still playing out./Dan

I'm going to simply quote myself from the Hairy Bear Inn ;)
TheSilver said:
Nice new avatar, Ifayra!Yet another one of Whisperwinds great pictures :DWell, I've been spreading the word again, it seems.I have to volunteer at the library (don't ask, way too long a story and pretty confusing at it ;) ), and it happens that I started a conversation with a young lady there.Now, to cut it short, not only is she also a senior in highschool (looks older though :D ), but also looking for a few good books.I certainly hope that a few of the following books and authors ring a bell in some peoples head *winks at game widow, Nimue and Simon Brook* 1. Harry Harrison and his Stainless Steel Rat series2. David Eddings and the chronicles: The Elenium, The Tamuli, The Belgariad and The Malloreon. Also, last but not least The Redemption of Althalus.3. Robin Hoob all the books playing in The Realm of the Elderlings.4 And of course Andrzej Sapkowski and The Last Wish (No link needed I hope :D )I'd highly recommend any of these books to those who have not read them yet ;Dedit: Ohh, no! How could I? I forgot one of the best series ever (which I also recommend):The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever by Stephen R. Donaldson!I have not read the last two, soon to be three, books yet. So my recommendation only goes for the first six.Ahh, now I have reached the post 666. Not only to I feel happy now, but it seems like such a great number to leave by.Farewell, cruel world. :D

Since i had a little problem the previous days, i reply now to your posts.I must say that Ian Irvin will be for sure the next writer i 'll look for, after i finish the Melnibone series. He looks very much to my liking.
thanks for giving me a addition to my "to read" list
Game Widow, i 'm sure you 'll enjoy these books. :wave:And, Silver, you did well to move your post here from the tavern. Thanks. :)

Has anyone read The Gormenghast Novels by Mervyn Peake?Not your average fantasy with elves, dwarves and sorcery, but a great example of somehow disturbing Gothic setting. It's about a noble family living in a huge, ancient castle with all their servants, and a very intelligent kitchen boy seeking to usurp their power. The strength of this book lies in long descriptions and obscure vocabulary, not action. The books are ripe with melancholy, decay and loneliness. Also recommended for fans of more "serious" literature.

I can recommend the books of "Eragon" written by Christopher Paolini. They are purely awesome and on my personal scale quite close to the lord of the rings.
As far as I know the third part is not released yet. But it will appear this year.

I'm reading this series at the moment called A Song of Ice and Fire, by George R.R. Martin. Kind of a Medieval styled fantasy, it's full of political intrigue and doesn't focus as much on magic and your usual fantastical/mythical elements. Honestly the best fantasy books I have ever read. There is so much going on in them, really layered and intricate and gritty. I just love them and highly recommend them to everyone.

Me, I used to read the dark eye series (Das schwarze Auge, in German) a lot back when I lived in Germany. Collected all of them books and they were all a great read. Lost track of it a few years back when they diversified their range and some great authors stopped writing.

You know I read on a forum, someone complaining that Prince Nuada (Hellboy 2) was a direct rip-off of Elric, just because he had the pale hair and skin, oh and used a sword ::)I wonder what that guy would think of Geralt and even Drizzt Do'Urden to a certain degree :p

Third book of the Inheritance series Brisingr, (Eragon et al) has been out for a couple of weeks). The Game of Thrones series by George R. R. Martin is extra plus good. Don't get to attached to any ,main characters though :) It is really about the throne and lineages. Anyone is liable to die for the greater good. Also do not marry yourself to any particular moral viewpoint because they are liable to be challenged. New suggestions: The Deed of Paksenarrion omnibus and the prequels collected in The Legacy of Gird are top notch epic fantasy. When they were new I actually saw ads in trade rags like Locus with review citations proclaiming them as being more or less the unofficial Fourth Age books. And they do a damn good job at it. The Earthsea books does a good job presenting a not exactly orthodox fantasy world while raising awareness of conflicts based on race, language, gender, power and wealth. And the later books does a good job deconstructing myths and history. The first part of the first book might also ring bells for devotees of Harry Potter :)/Dan

Fantasy books!I am a big fun of H.P. Lovecraft if it counts , Frank Herbert 's "Dune" and mythology , Also Douglas Adam's "Space" books ( hitch-hiking the galaxy - bye and thanks for the fish ).

I really love Steven Erikson's "Malazan Book of the Fallen". It's definately one of the best series I've read so far. Erikson's world is very unique and complex, which makes the plot not always easy to follow. My other favourite series is Jim Butcher's "The Dresden Files", although I'm not sure if it is really fantasy. The main character is Harry Dresden, a professional wizard and investigator in modern day Chicago, who finds himself face to face with all kinds of supernatural nasties like vampires, werewolves and an evil fairy godmother. The books are written from Harry's point of view, and his dry humor is really fun to read. And last but not least: "Krabat" by Otfried Preußler. I think in English it is called "The Satanic Mill". The story is set in the early 18th century. A Sorbian boy, Krabat, begins an apprenticeship in a mill, but soon he discovers that he joined a secret brotherhood which studies black magic.

Seems like Krabat has been made a movie. I like the title Btw. It can mean unruly or feisty child in Swedish (no one connotes the old meaning of Croatian) The book seems to fall in the same category of well written young adult work like Earthsea and Brothers Lionheart./Dan

Yes, Krabat is a book for younger people, but that doesn't make it less enjoyable. I waited for the movie since last November. At that time I heard a lecture from someone who was at the set while they were filming and that was really interesting.

I like the book of Krabat, too! And I am not countable to the young people anymore ;) I'm looking forward to see the movie! I saw the making of in TV and was impressed!

Top Bottom