The United Federation of Charles on "The Politics of The Witcher 3"

+
The United Federation of Charles on "The Politics of The Witcher 3"

Hey guys,

I wanted you to know I'm doing a series of essays on The Politics of the Witcher 3 and we'll be discussing quite a few of the many issues which have been brought up in the game and comparing them to previous games as well as the books.

Part One Just Went Up.
Part Two is now available
Part Three is now available
Part Four is now available

I hope people will visit my website and comment on this thread so I can better improve it and its discussion of the various elements involved.

I think the Witcher 3 wasn't all that dumbed down, politics wise.

My present plans are for a three-part essay.

Last edited:
Nice read mate :) ! +2 :)

I have to add a few things though:
"We also see the basic humanity of a Nilfgaard deserter who helps a White Orchard resident survive the aftermath of a pointless battle."

That Nilfgard deserter is the same man that ordered the murder of anyone who took down the hanged people. True, he DOES show humanity now, but he was not a good man otherwise.

Also :p
" The game isn't quite as good as Skyrim for replay value because, say what you will about Bethesda's storytelling skills, they know how to make level-scaling monsters you can spend forever fighting. "

I disagree, only GSC Game World does that well with STALKER :p
Bethesda will ... unfortunately never be as good... neither AI nor depth of combat is something they can do (especially AI).
Also... I love Diiksta... I loved the jabbing and assaults he and Geralt make :p

Most gamers will incline themselves to slaying the tyrant but the fallout from King Radovid's death won't just be minorities saved. It will means a collapse of all resistance in the North and the conquest of the land by Nilfgaard. Which would be alright if it happened immediately but the "best" Nilfgaard ending has Redania continue fighting even without Dijkstra and the war dragging on for what will likely be years if not another decade or more.

Decade? I doubt it. There is no one left who could lead the resistance. They will surrender soon.

The rest of your essay is a nice insight.

Decade? I doubt it. There is no one left who could lead the resistance. They will surrender soon.

The rest of your essay is a nice insight.

I'm not so sure because historically there's plenty of Dukes, Earls, and even Barons who choose to continue to fight on in Medieval Warfare after the deaths of monarchs in hopes of becoming the next one.

The problem with the death of Radovid and Dijkstra is also the "Foltest effect."

Specifically, that there's now no one to surrender so guerilla warfare will continue potentially indefinitely. Temeria IS conquered but it's far from stable until Roche and Thaler agree to broker a peace with the rebels.

It doesn't help that Emhyr clearly has plans on Skellige (which, thankfully, Ciri would stop as Empress--this is only if Emhyr wins the war without her).

I could be wrong, though. All the endings say is that Temeria's surrender frees up Emhyr's soldiers for other fronts.

The contrast between Emhyr and his rival in King Radovid the Stern is also a nebulous one as neither individual has any 'right' to the lands involved.
Radovid could have claims to Temeria if W3 acknowledge either Adda or Anais
It doesn't help that Emhyr clearly has plans on Skellige
It would be very hard to conquer Skellige cuz they hate Nilfgard and they would rather go to total extinct then surrender or negotiate peace.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure because historically there's plenty of Dukes, Earls, and even Barons who choose to continue to fight on in Medieval Warfare after the deaths of monarchs in hopes of becoming the next one.

The problem with the death of Radovid and Dijkstra is also the "Foltest effect."

Specifically, that there's now no one to surrender so guerilla warfare will continue potentially indefinitely. Temeria IS conquered but it's far from stable until Roche and Thaler agree to broker a peace with the rebels.

It doesn't help that Emhyr clearly has plans on Skellige (which, thankfully, Ciri would stop as Empress--this is only if Emhyr wins the war without her).

I could be wrong, though. All the endings say is that Temeria's surrender frees up Emhyr's soldiers for other fronts.

Some of them might keep fighting and some of them will collaborate. But it is clear now that they cannot defeat Nilfgaard and that if they resist, Nilfgaard will punish them sooner or later. That's a good motivation for them to rather side with Nilfgaard.

And it might not be Redania+Kaedwen anymore, instead there are two weak opponents without any exceptional leaders. War is lost and they know it.

If Djikstra can lead Redania if Radovid is dead, than bastard childrens have more claims to the throne of Temeria than Djikstra has on Redania throne

Dijkstra is said to become a chancellor. So he probably rules in the name of Adda or Anais.

Very possibly, @Ortwyn.

This being Dijkstra, he's also fully capable of buying a baby off the streets and passing it off as Radovid's bastard son or daughter.

Audacity is his middle name.

This being Dijkstra, he's also fully capable of buying a baby off the streets and passing it off as Radovid's bastard son or daughter.
And say it`s Radovid and Philippa baby, he chase her cuz he can`t forgive her for leaving him and he is depressed and he hate all mages cuz of her.

It's a good read. How ever I can't agree with your reasoning to justify keeping Radovid's rule. Do you think he would stop after he has wiped out every single mage and nonhuman? Who's next minority group of people down in the list, perhaps Witchers? He's straight up Hitler in Witcher's universe, but even more dangerous due being excellent military tactician. I'd take relatively decent foreign rule over Radovid any time, even if I weren't targeted by the currently on going mass murders. Especially if you consider that, Ciri can raise to power and make continent better place to live on.

It's a good read. How ever I can't agree with your reasoning to justify keeping Radovid's rule. Do you think he would stop after he has wiped out every single mage and nonhuman? Who's next minority group of people down in the list, perhaps Witchers? He's straight up Hitler in Witcher's universe, but even more dangerous due being excellent military tactician. I'd take relatively decent foreign rule over Radovid any time, even if I weren't targeted by the currently on going mass murders. Especially if you consider that, Ciri can raise to power and make continent better place to live on.

I chose Dijkstra to rid the world of Radovid and Emhyr both but I'm trying to avoid monumental bias this time around.

:)

---------- Updated at 06:31 PM ----------

Part II of "The Politics of the Witcher 3" is now avilable to read

I hope you guys enjoy it as much as part I.

I love (and hate) the lady, whose middle name is Scheming bitch!

#Team Philippa

So many Triss x Yenn polls and I haven't found any Emhyr x Philippa x Dijkstra x Radovid one? Maybe I should do it? :D

Yes!

Also make a Fringilla one. Us Book Readers will get it :D !
Though she aint an ass like those you listed.

Hmmm...

Emhyr x Ravodid x Trololol

Damn...

Yes!

Also make a Fringilla one. Us Book Readers will get it !
Though she aint an ass like those you listed.

Hmmm...

Emhyr x Ravodid x Trololol

Damn...

Well, the 5th option might be "Other one". But Fringilla is not such a schemer. The same with Letho - he outsmarts so many people, but it is not his raison d'être. He wants to rebuild the School of Viper, not to rule half the world (directly or indirectly).

And when you mention books and Fringilla in two consecutive sentences, is it some kind of pun? :D

Well, the 5th option might be "Other one". But Fringilla is not such a schemer. The same with Letho - he outsmarts so many people, but it is not his raison d'être. He wants to rebuild the School of Viper, not to rule half the world (directly or indirectly).

And when you mention books and Fringilla in two consecutive sentences, is it some kind of pun? :D

Fringilla does like books. No idea what you mean though. :)

Yeah too little is said about these other charachters :)

@charles
I like your stuff mate :) !

Thanks.

Part 2 deals with Emperor Emhyr and his ambiguous nature in the narrative, Ciri's role as the subject of diplomacy, and who is REALLY the best candidate for ruling Skellige.

Top Bottom