[SPOILER] The "bittersweet" ending might be totally misunderstood! (Witcher 4 speculation)

+
Most people seem to like her due to her and Geralt's interactions being the best in the series. Quite a few were uncomfortable with how you could see her bra in her default outfit, and would prefer she had amour like Geralt. Not saying everyone, but she seems more popular due to her status as surrogate daughter than as eye candy. IMO anyway.

On my end, I think she's an attractive character but I like the fact it's because she's the SECOND Idealist in the entire game series.

There's Saskia and there's Ciri.

It's a breathe of fresh air.

I also love how tortured she is and her relationship with everyone else.

I would prefer Ciri to have more scars and battered up "realistic" with armor than looking fresh and pretty like the Sorceresses.

If they have a game with Ciri as the protagonist, most likely they'll make the good-witcher path ending canon. Making Empress story canon in TW4 would be awkward... seeing as she'd be stuck in the palace for the entire game.

It would be a situation very similar to the past two games (no Shani, both Scoia'tel paths being utterly worthless).

Last edited:
I chose to enjoy and explore the choices within the game rather than hold unrealistic expectations about CDPR carrying them forward. I would like Witcher Ciri to be canon, but I'm not going to drop the series if CDPR uses Empress instead.

If the game picked up where it left off then yea it would be a lot of work to respect all choices. But thats also one of the many reasons why Ciri is unlikely to ever be a protagonist, because it would focus on different character in a different time. Ciri could make some cameos or be mentioned in dialogue - which can account for all endings - this is realistic and something you can reasonably expect. Chosing a "canon" choice is just wrong and silly, to you its like "I dont care as long as I get to play Ciri, yay"

Last edited:
On my end, I think she's an attractive character but I like the fact it's because she's the SECOND Idealist in the entire game series.

It's a breathe of fresh air.

I found her very well defined, her VO is very good and it's obvious they put a lot of effort in her. However she is too sexualised as obvious teen catering, which annoyed me a bit.

However a all round great character, in a supporting role that is.

---------- Updated at 08:19 PM ----------

Also going overboard w/ petty insult

Don't want to sound insulting, but it seems to me this is yet another obvious case of linguistic barrier.
It's obvious you're not grasping what I'm trying to say, possibly my fault.
Anyway have a good one, cheers.

Not saying everyone, but she seems more popular due to her status as surrogate daughter than as eye candy. IMO anyway.

Umm didn't you see hundreds of posts being disappointed that she wasn't a romance option, despite the fact that she was surrogate daughter?... To me her design was also a bit disappointing - she didn't have a physique or movements I'd expect of a female witcher or someone who went through witcher training. She felt more like a pretty anime heroine, like Saber perhaps ^_^.

It's a break of fresh air.

I also love how tortured she is and her relationship with everyone else.

But to me that also sounds very cliched, in many stories there are female leads who are idealists, and also "tortured" and ones that experienced hardships, like many of the female leads in various media like anime/tv shows/movies.

Last edited:
If the game picked up where it left off then yea it would be a lot of work to respect all choices. But thats also one of the many reasons why Ciri is unlikely to be ever a protagonist, because it would focus on different character in a different time. Ciri could make some cameos or be mentioned in dialogue - which can account for all endings - this is realistic and something you can reasonably expect. Chosing a "canon" choice is just wrong and silly, to you its like "I dont care as long as I get to play Ciri, yay"
Hey if they want to make a game set in Zerrikania, I'm up for that as well. Or Hakland. Or anywhere that's not the North really. I'm mostly interested in playing as Ciri for her dimensional hopping though. I loved Through Time and Space because of how different it was to the rest of the game. If we're not going to be a Witcher anymore, making a Planescape-esque RPG where it's just you as Ciri adventuring could be enjoyable.

I found her very well defined, her VO is very good and it's obvious they put a lot of effort in her. However she is too sexualised as obvious teen catering, which annoyed me a bit.

---------- Updated at 08:19 PM ----------

Don't want to sound insulting, but it seems to me this is yet another obvious case of linguistic barrier.
It's obvious you're not grasping what I'm trying to say, possibly my fault.
Anyway have a good one, cheers.

Yeah right linguistic barrier:rly?:

Adding and ending Genitals trying to win an argument. Found it quite laughable :yes:

Agree. And do the above part, they kind of seemed to go out of their way to even make the scar not appear half bad. In the books it's supposed to be very disfiguring.

Yeah right linguistic barrier

Adding and ending Genitals trying to win an argument. Found it quite laughable

Well the fact you think the Mahakaman genitals part insulting is evidence enough of a linguistic barrier.
But if you want to keep this conversation going, with me trying to explain you what I mean and you misinterpreting it wasting each other's time for another good dozen hours, I'll oblige.

If you want to do that, you could start by writing down a definition of "Witcher".

Well the fact you think the Mahakaman genitals part insulting is evidence enough of a linguistic barrier.
But if you want to keep this conversation going, with me trying to explain you what I mean and you misinterpreting it wasting each other's time for another good dozen hours, I'll oblige.

If you want to do that, you could start by writing down a definition of "Witcher".

Personally i will just go neutral. " What Witcher really meant" but arguing that video is not a good source about Witcher lore. Is beyond laughable!!:rly?:

Arguing Wiki is quite accurate:huh:

Then adding Genitals to your post is quite beyond petty and then linguistic barrier down to dry.:sad:

I will just make a conclusion that we got different perception about lore:cheers:

Personally i will just go neutral. " What Witcher really meant" but arguing that video is not a good source about Witcher lore. Is beyond laughable!! CUT

Ok it maybe not only caused by the language barrier. Nice emoticons btw.

Do you even know what that video is supposed to be? Who's narrating? When?

On my end, I think I respond to Ciri so well because my favorite writing is done by Rhianna Pratchett in video games: Overlord, Heavenly Sword, Mirror's Edge, and the rebooted Tomb Raider. It's no coincidence that the most prominent tortured female protagonists who are idealistic tend to be written by her. They're also just about the only ones in gaming since while you may have tortured women and you may have idealistic women, the above and Ciri are about the only ones you'll find combined. So, naturally, I'm going to gravitate to more of my favorite type of protagonist.

Hell, if they weren't a polish language company, I'd recommend her to be hired to write a hypothetical Ciri game as they could do far-far worse for capturing the kind of woman who has a terrible past who is still trying to make the world better despite horrible events. Even if they don't take center stage, there's plenty of women trying to make the world better in video games but I think it's the combination of her traumatic backstory as well as desire to overcome it which makes her an intriguing character.

I admit, there's some people who dislike this kind of female protagonist amongst feminists as they think of "tortured characters" as to be something which we need less of amongst women and just more stronger characters in general. To which I say, HOGWASH, as Frank Castle, Batman, and Max Payne are wonderful male tortured characters who are all about the brooding and angst. I think the fact Ciri is trying to be a heroine in a world as anti-heroic and, let's be honest, SHITTY as the Witcherverse really makes a nice contrast to things.

I do think, however, if they did a Ciri game you'd have to be a little leery of the kind of gamers who'd be attracted to Ciri BECAUSE of her traumatic backstory as those who would sexualize it as well as her "victimized" and "vulnerable status" are kind of creepy. I used to be a big Tali fan for Mass Effect until I realized there were a massive number of gamers who liked her and wanted her as a romance because of her immaturity and worshipful status to Shephard. That kind of made me a little off put (Ashley man, through and through).

I also think they could make Ciri SLIGHTLY less attractive with the scar and maybe a broken nose more prominent. I think many of us gamers would still be fine with "incredibly attractive woman who does, in fact, shockingly have some flaws and non-perfect elements."

Ok it maybe not only caused by the language barrier. Nice emoticons btw.

Do you even know what that video is supposed to be? Who's narrating? When?

Dude its created by CD Project Red. Its a trailer for Witcher 2. Its about witcher. Really you really need to pay attention more w/ details.

Dude its created by CD Project Red. Its a trailer for Witcher 2. Its about witcher. Really you really need to pay attention more w/ details.

Please answer my queries.
Also it would be nice for you to answer my previous questions:

1)Is that your only source for what a witcher is?
2)why do you think I am even saying the video is wrong? Where did you get that?
3) What is your definition of a witcher. If using solely the video, which parts do you consider apply to Ciri, and Ciri alone, and why they cannot apply to anyone else even if explicitly fulfilling the requirements?

I also think they could make Ciri SLIGHTLY less attractive with the scar and maybe a broken nose more prominent. I think many of us gamers would still be fine with "incredibly attractive woman who does, in fact, shockingly have some flaws and non-perfect elements."

While i'm not "feminist" I would not like a CIri game where she is like Lara Croft just with swords and magic in medieval fantasy, where she is doing lots of crying and screaming while she is hurt 10 times over, that's just cringy to me and not what I'd like a Witcher game to be about. But I'm not worried because I have good reasons (as we have discussed in this and other threads) to think it won't ever be and is extremely unlikely.

While i'm not "feminist" I would not like a CIri game where she is like Lara Croft just with swords and magic in medieval fantasy, where she is doing lots of crying and screaming while she is hurt 10 times over, that's just cringy to me and not what I'd like a Witcher game to be about. But I'm not worried because I have good reasons (as we have discussed in this and other threads) to think it won't ever be and is extremely unlikely.

Yeah, Rhianna Pratchett's Tombraider was how Lara Croft went from being a noob to an expert in 2000 dead bodies.

Ciri has already been down that road, bought the t-shirt at the end, and took a selfie.

I don't think it's important if Ciri would be seen as witcher or not - that doesn't in any way influence whether she could or should be protagonist.
I doubt anyone who's in a position to decide the future of the franchise would care one second how well she fits the classic witcher definition.
They need a good story and good gameplay. Everything else is secondary or so I would guess.

Not to mention that they continued a story that was as done as stories can be. Geralt was dead as a doornail in the books.
Looking at this year's E3 this is the time to be bold anyway. Times are a-changing.

I've read those pages just a few days ago, and I'm quite sure he's healed/revived before being brought to the mystic island with Yen.

He's badly injured, Yen passes out desperately trying to to heal him, Triss doesn't even try because she thinks it's too late. Ciri curses the weakness of Yen's magic, she curses herself for dismissing her own powers which she's sure would have helped now. Then her unicorn friend appears. Ciri touches the unicorn horn with one hand and Geralt with the other, a magic glow emanates from her hand and her eyes start glowing milkily. Geralt is then carried on a boat that appears out of the magic portal the unicorn came through. He wakes up on the other side of the portal.
It's both very unclear if the island is in fact the afterlife (as several dead friends seem to appear for a moment), but I doubt Ciri can open portals to the afterlife and back.
It's also unclear if the unicorn in fact heals Geralt or if Ciri regains her magic through the unicorn.

I didn't actually like the ending, it seemed rushed and deus-ex-machina. And too mystic, fairytale-like.

@Tomice158

I still don't understand why you are continually missing the point.

I am asking you why Ciri should be the protagonist.

You are responding that Ciri CAN be the protagonist, and that it's very possibility is it's own justification.

Do you realize that this strawman logic could be applied to anyone? By your logic, because the game leaves the fate of that one whore in Novigrad open, the nameless whore in Novigrad should be the protagonist and is a "clever backdoor" that CDPR has put into the Witcher 3 game to set up a future sequel. The reason why I label this fanfiction is because all these ideas are indulgence without reason. A million things COULD happen in a POSSIBLE sequel, but you have yet to elucidate why they SHOULD happen. What possible reason has Ciri given you to think that she still has a story to tell, or that she has more story to give? What about the ending is such that it leaves you raring for a sequel from her? Did she leave you with foreshadowing of some dramatic future event? Did she leave you on a cliffhanger? Is there unresolved tension that has yet to come to fruition? Is there ANYTHING that gives you the sense that retreading her story is little more than the comfort of falling back to an established character without risking the creation of a new one?

These are questions that must be asked in professional writing. If there's no reason to continue her story, beyond it's very possibility, how is the choice to vet her as a protagonist in any way "natural" and artistically valid? You have consistently been avoiding answering this question, which makes me believe that your intentions for having a Ciri protagonist have nothing to do with how well it fits in with the existing saga and more along the lines that male gamers enjoy female eye-candy. Were Ciri an eye-sore, I very much doubt we would be having this discussion.

Ciri is not "just any" NPC that survived. She's the most unique, special and powerful being in Sapkowski's lore. That's not an idea I've come up with, it's what the whole franchise is about. If there was a whore in Novigrad that was hunted across multiple dimensions for her special powers, I'd probably think she could play an important role in the future ;-)
She also already was co-protagonist of the books and of the third game. She's one of the characters getting most screentime. She is featured broadly in promotional material for Witcher 3.
So comparing her to some minor NPC is simply weird.

But let's come back to your main question, one last attempt to answer it:

No, I don't think there is a pressing reason to continue the franchise from an artistic point of view. The third game has quite throughly picked up most plot open plot lines both from the books and the previous games. This also means that Ciri's story is somewhat concluded.

On the other hand, the universe and the characters that remain in it don't feel exhausted to me. Even if the plot lines would have to be mostly new and couldn't be picked up from Sapkovski, I would personally like to hear those stories. That's personal, but a valid point. Also remember that Yen Ciri are very new for people who don't know the books. So the "silent mass" of W3 players definitively isn't annoyed yet by Yen and Ciri, so the would probably enjoy further stories with them too.
But I guess "popular demand" doesn't qualify as answer to your question.

Do I expect a plot twist for Ciri? Does her character contain enough "seeds" for future stories? Do I believe her character is interesting enough to be protagonist?
Yes, yes, and yes. It's so obvious for me that I find it hard to explain, actually! ;-)

She neither lost her rights to the Nilfgaardian throne (in the witcher ending) nor her special powers. There might be noone currently bothering her, but this could change soon. Her very special status makes her the most likely person to get involved in dramatic future events. All other major characters are semi-retired, while her life just begins. In both the witcher and the empress ending she is one of the few persons whose life is in motion, who's travelling and who's meeting new people. The only other major character who has this aura of energy/motion around her is Philippa (who BTW would be the only real candidate for a future villain from the known cast).

The "Geralt family" (including Yen, Triss and Ciri) is currently the core and the heart of the Witcher franchise. Why do i even have to explain that the only member of this "family" not planning to retire is a likely candidate for a future protagonist? Especially when she has already been co-protagonist?
But my various explanations that she's the only likely candidate (apart from a blank sheet custom witcher appearing out of nowhere) haven't sufficed as answer to your question before, so I'll continue trying.

I firmly believe that her massive background can help the story to be much denser and more unique.

Example:

If a custom, player-created young bear school witcher wants to learn new signs, there is nothing special about it, not much to create an unique story. He might have to do a few favors for his trainer, might have to find a book or a magical or a place of power. There's nothing to be told we haven't already heard somewhere.

If however Ciri would want to learn a new magic ability, she would first have to find a way to lift the self-imposed mental block that she created after the traumatic events in the desert. Maybe she would have to travel there, relive the events in a series of flashbacks, and face the essence of her brutal ancestor Falka that materialized back then. She might also have to find absolution for the deeds she did as member of the "rats" (also allowing for some awesome flashbacks), or she might have to search help from very special people/sources, like finding dryad queen Eithne and using the mysterious water of Brokilon to "reset" her mind. Former mentors like Yen or Ermion/ Mousesack could get an cameo while helping her.

Overall, I feel a preexisting character with a long backstory can more easily be the anchor for deep storytelling. A custom character cannot easily be turned into a deep, multi-faceted personality (Shepard wasn't in ME1 either, only later the universe truly got depth - because the hero starting meeting old aquaintances again, and there started to be previous events that could be talked about).

If you still don't find that an convincing answer, here's another one: All the conficts we talked about on the last few pages (can a women be witcher? can you be a withcer without mutation? Can a young, pretty women be taken seriously as hero?) can be picked up and used for ingame dialogue.
A custom witcher on the other hand wouldn't have any defining features that could be used (as the game engine probably couldn't react properly on the appearence of our witcher).

---------- Updated at 11:56 PM ----------

Oh, two more things:

Please don't let our little difference in opinions anger you. I might sound impolite sometimes because this is not my first language, but let me assure you that I respect your opinion.

And could you tell me who you would prefer to be the hero of the next story? Did i understand right that you would prefer a custom witcher? Could you imagine anyone from the existing cast to take over?

Top Bottom