Seven Cats Tavern (Potential spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
White frost is coming!

So I'm not the only one suffering from the lighting bug. :p

Protip. Save your game. Quit to main menu and load it again. Should fix it.

By the way that's such a silly, game-y decision. What ARE talent points and levels and why are they a requirement for better armor and swords? And why is the damage and defense scale so ridiculous? Even enhanced gear makes initial *Witcher* gear look like toys. How can a slightly more padded armor be several orders of magnitude more protective? I think the Reds saw this too much as a video game and not so much as a role playing game. A good compromise would have been to define a sensible damage and armor scale and place different materials in different places. Crafting could be a linear combination of process and materials, yielding different damage and protection numbers with magical bonuses on top, like sign intensity or stamina recovery speed.

Ay, the numbers and balances are a touch too artificial at times, and some make very little sense.

The crafting system is not quite what I expected either, and is really rather quite a disappointment. I'd hoped we'd be able to upgrade any armour we liked, rather like an advanced system of the 'armour enhancements' from
Assassins of Kings. I think I would still prefer a return to that style of system, with expanded possibilities. (The Glyphs are virtually worthless, as far as I'm concerned.) In such a system, one could upgrade a very low-level armour (say the Warrior Jacket, or a brigandine, if one liked) to rival much better harnesses, by adding a variety of enhancements. Examples of these enhancements could be: pauldrons (shoulders), gorget (neck and throat), besagews (upper breast and armpits), cowters (elbows), tassets (groin and upper thighs), poleyns (knees), greaves (shins), etc. These armour additions could come at a high price, which would give us something to do with all our tens of thousands of Crowns, and could be limited by the 'slots' or upgrade-potential of each armour. To make even more of a challenge, we might need to find these attachments for the armours, or have them specially crafted. There could even be different levels of enhancements, like before: magical, rare, epic, each with different bonuses. I believe the upgraded Witcher Gear is intended as a similar idea, but it seems to lack versatility, and is thus rather static.

So far, I've only crafted one or two armours, and a couple swords, which I out-leveled quickly. Otherwise, I have found all the equipment I'm currently using, and it's all much better than aught I can craft at my level (26). I have lots of diagrams, but I hardly use any of them. And, since almost all my promising diagrams require level 30 - 40, what good are they?! The system could have been handled differently, and I'd really have liked more control over the customisation of gear. A bit too late, now, sadly.

Last edited:
@RivenII

That's precisely what I had in mind. Armor and swords shouldn't simply be "inherently better" than more recently found armor and swords, simply because the numbers say so. Their value should be derived from their materials, enchantments, crafting process, etc. I like the idea of there being a select group of master blacksmiths and armorers, but the items themselves are pretty similar to a BG1 interpretation of D&D armor: plate > chain > leather just because. Again the difference between the most damaging sword and the initial witcher sword (still unique items) shouldn't so huge. All swords and armor sets would be better if they compared to each other in terms of bonuses and other preferences, such as absolute protection vs. mobility.

And yes I also wanted to be able to improve other items. For instance the warriors jacket, so heavily featured in the trailers and yet we outgrow it in a matter of hours. And let's not even get into the character progression system...

But maybe there's still time for upgrades, enhanced editions and expansions. And of course CP2077.

@RivenII

That's precisely what I had in mind. Armor and swords shouldn't simply be "inherently better" than more recently found armor and swords, simply because the numbers say so. Their value should be derived from their materials, enchantments, crafting process, etc. I like the idea of there being a select group of master blacksmiths and armorers, but the items themselves are pretty similar to a BG1 interpretation of D&D armor: plate > chain > leather just because. Again the difference between the most damaging sword and the initial witcher sword (still unique items) shouldn't so huge. All swords and armor sets would be better if they compared to each other in terms of bonuses and other preferences, such as absolute protection vs. mobility.

And yes I also wanted to be able to improve other items. For instance the warriors jacket, so heavily featured in the trailers and yet we outgrow it in a matter of hours. And let's not even get into the character progression system...

But maybe there's still time for upgrades, enhanced editions and expansions. And of course CP2077.

Do you think they'll allow players to import their Witcher equipment into Cyberpunk 2077? Hmm. . . .That would be rather odd. . . . However, jokes aside, we seem both to agree the armoury, crafting, and upgrade system could be much more dynamic.

From the perspective of a game, when we pause to consider the practical side of armour and weaponry, we come to the rather disappointing realisation that they can only be improved so far. Realistically, it could be quite possible to play the entire game with only one sword or armour, but this would defy the expectations of the genre. So, artificial statistics have to be invented to conform to the tradition in games of forward movement, to make the players feel as though they're advancing by acquiring new stuff. In a perfect game world, damage dealt by blades should be determined more by skill rather than the sword itself. High quality steel, balance, and weight can only account for so much. A truly legendary blade, crafted by a master, with every secret employed in its forging, would still have little advantage, if a mere untaught village idiot wields it. In the case of armour, there is more room for pure equipment improvements, but even this is limited by the materials. Here we begin to tread a bit too far into the realm of realism, which we know
is rarely visited in games, for good or ill.

However, The Witcher III system has a lot of potentials, especailly with all the different components we can collect and craft, but it just doesn't seem to make full use of them. Perhaps modders will make adjustments in the days to come?

Last edited:
One of the thing I disappoint is how the level of weapons or armors you get are lower than your real level, specially because it's to easy to become overhelmed. The only way to have a decent leveled item is crafting it before I'm allowed use it, carry on it suffering its extra weight till the red cross desappears. Too many tyype of swords which you cannot enjoy.

For intances, Wolf School Gear in highest level (34) is 4 level upper the final main quest recommended 30! Not only you're overhelmed facing Eredin, but having the whole gear + Regenerative Quen + Swallow potion it's like crushing an elusive cockroach...

So I'm not the only one suffering from the lighting bug. :p

Protip. Save your game. Quit to main menu and load it again. Should fix it.

Thanks, but was only present in one specific location and specific time of day. Few steps in each forwards and it was fixed :)

So...
my Ciri never became an Emperess because I advise her don't meet Emhyr?
a simple yes or not will be enough as an answer, thank you.

Thanks. I've realized that I cannot act as I do, I should be more distant with her if I want another ending... but I can't... I ... can't..

How could I?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom