Votes: 40 2.9%
  • There was enough of Triss in the game

Votes: 128 9.1%
  • I don't like Triss

Votes: 38 2.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you not think this would count as a significant re-write? It's more than a few lines. Anyway, the important thing for me is that the Triss romance achieves parity with the Yen romance. Both should be as valid as each other, specially in light of the previous two games. If we can achieve that, I'll be a happy man.
These are not rewrites, these are just extentions.
-During drinking night Geralt's already been asked about his relationship and given some options. What I offer is amongst those options adding one more option to mention Triss
-After Yen's kiss Triss and Yen are already walking to the castle and the player has to go to the castle as well so before reaching the castle another dialog options that changes nothing in the already established story flow.
-In Novigrad Triss is already there with us in the tavern, so another conversation and one more in Skellige.

These don't include integrating her into quests or main story so it doesn't need a rewrite. I wouldn't say no to more content and have her during some quests though.

Has she???

At the start of the game when he is dreaming - Geralt says Yen has never been to Kaer Morhen

I have never read the books so you may be right but thats what Geralt said.

I thought he meant,that she's never been in the guest room.
In the books she visited Kaer Morhen:
The lady magician knew a surprising amount about a witcher’s sword and “dance.” She knew a great deal about the secrets of Kaer Morhen; there was no doubt she had visited the Keep. She knew Vesemir and Eskel. Although not Lambert and Coën.Yennefer used to visit Kaer Morhen. Ciri guessed why – when they spoke of the Keep – the eyes of the enchantress grew warm, lost their angry gleam and their cold, indifferent, wise depth. If the words had befitted Yennefer’s person, Ciri would have called her dreamy, lost in memories.
Ciri could guess the reason

Last edited:
To some extent I can understand not getting a reaction out of Yen after the funeral. She'd never been to Kaer Morhen so as I understand it, didn't really have any connection to the other Witchers and her sole concern is finding Ciri. She's focused and determined on that singular goal. That's fine, it's understandable and it's in-keeping with her character in the rest of the game. Triss, however, did have a connection with Vesemir so she should be at least as upset as Lambert and Eskel, if not as upset as Geralt. The thing that's always drawn me to Triss is she's portrayed as having a good heart. so calmly walking off then being all business-like when discussing the recreation of the Lodge is not in-keeping with her personality through the last two games.

Exactly. Triss loved the other witchers and saw them as Geralt's family. She loves old man V, because he's llike father figure to Geralt.

If your significant other is in so much pain from a horrible loss like that I can't see how you could simply go business as usual. It not like Triss character. It's like the dev tried hard not to show how significant she is in Geralt's life.

Exactly. Triss loved the other witchers and saw them as Geralt's family. She loves old man V, because he's llike father figure to Geralt.

If your significant other is in so much pain from a horrible loss like that I can't see how you could simply go business as usual. It not like Triss character. It's like the dev tried hard not to show how significant she is in Geralt's life.

It's not just that though, she'd be upset to. You'd be comforting each other over a shared loss. It would be an opportunity for a touching scene to play out.

It's not just that though, she'd be upset to. You'd be comforting each other over a shared loss.

True, but the dev really put in the effort to make sure that and many other things didn't happen.

I really think Geralt would have love that very much. For it not to be an option was a mistake. It's like if Geralt never comforted Ciri or talk to her at all about Vesemir death.

@saladin1701

Look at it from this perspective, in the game Yen have never been to Kaer Morhen in the book she did. So it's not necessarily true that they got it wrong at the start of the game.

@DaWitcher
Vezemir could simply mean Yen was never there during Ciri's childhood, or at the same time as Ciri, referring to Geralt's dream.

Not that she was never ever there.

True, but the dev really put in the effort to make sure that and many other things didn't happen.

I really think Geralt would have love that very much. For it not to be an option was a mistake. It's like if Geralt never comforted Ciri or talk to her at all about Vesemir death. .

I can just see it making for a very poignant scene, perhaps on par with the moment he thinks Ciri is dead (which is probably the best bit of 'acting' in a video game ever).

@saladin1701

Look at it from this perspective, in the game Yen have never been to Kaer Morhen in the book she did. So it's not necessarily true that they got it wrong at the start of the game.

True and that's something I said a few pages back. People who quote the book need to realise that the moment Geralt lost his memory in the first game, there was a divergence from the book. The games are 'based upon' rather than adaptations.

@DaWitcher
Vezemir could simply mean Yen was never there during Ciri's childhood, or at the same time as Ciri, referring to Geralt's dream.

Not that she was never ever there.

It's Geralt who says it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCIwLdcqjKY

Time index 26:21. The meaning is quite clear. They've diverged from the books in this matter.

At the funeral Triss does seem very sad and the way she looks at Geralt shows that she is worried about him, but Geralt is a tough guy and he first doesn't dwell on Vesemir death and continues business as usual. However the dialog with Triss after the funeral is seriously lacking, you can even talk to people like Roche and Hjalmar who cared much less about Vesemir than Triss. A scene with her after the funeral would fit and really complement the general Triss narrative.

Last edited:
@saladin1701 Thanks. It seems Gerald is referring to the guest room specifically.

As far as changes from the books, the whole Ciri's offsprings, prophecy and the White Frost itself are the main culprits. There's a bit of retconning for sure.

Thank you for reminding me of that show

Well, the difference is also Geralt's amnesia.

Very true, although I wonder how does that factor in the equation.

But we got none of that. Geralt is sort of indifferent, both in good and bad, with Triss. He doesn't seem to care much about her "betrayal" nor miss her, or long to be with her.
While the moment he sees YEN he naturally slips back in his pre-amnesiac stance, almost as if he woke up from a 2 years long coma.

I love how you put "betrayal" in ". Imo the slighted party here is Yen, not Geralt. Why should he care at all? He went on a ploughing rampage on W1.

Yen, on the other hand, yeah, royally pissed.

As I see it, at risk of repeating myself yet again, the choice, from a writing standpoint, could have been twofold, with both options equally valid.
Amnesiac Gerald was not himself, and chapter 3 should have explored his coming to terms with the new memories and choice in unequivocally going after Yen (and that's probably what they intended initally).

Or, now that G has all the details he can finally make an informed decision evaluating all the facts. The memories he got back weren't all good and pleasant, either.
On the other hand, Triss' behaviour could have been considered duplicitous by G, and that in itself could have warranted a breakup, even only in favour of lonelyness.
There should be no "right" choice in an rpg based around choice. If you pick Yen you should get a complete fullfilling romance and if you pick Triss you should get the same.

I'd really like to know if the lack of Triss interaction was there on purpose or because they ran out of time or another reason similar to that.

That's exactly my point, they decided for us that there was a "right" choice.

Imagine for a moment if they had treated the choice in W2 in the same light. You choose Iorveth, rescue the people on the boat and go to Vergen together. Yet in the negotiation scene, Iorveth goes away with saskia and then Roche comes along and we save Henselt together and the route defaults to Roche path (except he is now pissed you didn't choose him initially). After a while that the game acts as if your choice had been Roche all along, you get the same scenes, missions, setting, reactions from other characters, banter, etc. even in act 3 (except for a brief conversation with Iorveth)

I wonder how people how have reacted to that.

At the funeral Triss does seem very sad and the way she looks at Geralt shows that she is worried about him, but Geralt is a tough guy and he first doesn't dwell on Vesemir death and continues business as usual. However the dialog with Triss after the funeral is seriously lacking, you can even talk to people like Roach and Hjalmar who cared much less about Vesemir than Triss. A scene with her after the funeral would fit and really complement the general Triss narrative.

I agree with your statement. Triss cared a lot about Vesemir. The Triss we knew from the previous games would've been in agony... A scene where both Geralt and Triss had a moment to share their feelings and compensate one another after what happened would've been very logical and appropriate.

Something that still bothers me since the events of The Witcher 1, is the fact that Geralt and Triss never talked about Alvin (Jacques de Aldersberg) knowing that he was like a son to both of them. However, their romance in the previous games was sufficient enough to make us feel that they bonded and managed to pull through what happened together.
However, with Ciri coming back in The Witcher 3, that could've been one of the things they added to establish a much deeper conversation between both of them. (Since the rose of remembrance was pretty much thrown out of the window) >.<

I love how you put "betrayal" in ". Imo the slighted party here is Yen, not Geralt. Why should he care at all? He went on a ploughing rampage on W1.

Yen, on the other hand, yeah, royally pissed.

Depends on how you play Geralt in W1, he doesn't have to go on a "ploughing rampage".
Anyway, this is why for me W3 is a let down in this department. I haven't read the books. Geralt starts the game serious with amnesia. They start to fill in the gaps, slowly. Without reading the books and not checking any information on the internet, Triss's history with Geralt is deliberately left very foggy. I think in Witcher 2 Geralt asks Triss to tell him about Yen, but you never hear the conversation. At the beginning of Witcher 1, you tell Triss that you have amnesia but "felt a very strong connection to her." I didn't know if I'd had a romantic relationship with her before or not. After playing the 1st two games, I *still* didn't know if I'd had a romantic relationship with her before (the amnesia) or not. All the "returning memory" cut scenes were about his death, Yennefers death, the Wild Hunt.

After those games I play W3, and Triss barely mentions something about betraying me, no wait, taking advantage of me then I find out later talking to Yen that Triss was a "good friend".

That's how many gaps there are.

Don't get me wrong, the romances are beautifully animated, well written, and well voice acted. There's just huge holes in the narrative.

If Geralt wanted to be pissed at Triss for "taking advantage" of him, then it should have been on the boat ride in Witcher 2. That's supposedly when Triss tells him the "painful parts" about his past, things that would even be painful to Triss. I allowed for that after getting done with Witcher 2, because I thought they'd fill in the gaps with Witcher 3.

So, yeah, Geralt has a reason to be pissed at Triss, because she took advantage of his amnesia. But I had to figure that out mostly by jumping on the internet and finding out stuff about what happened in the books. But even with that, Geralt also has plenty of reasons to forgive her and have a relationship. She helps him out a lot. She even says she'll help Geralt find Yen (something forgot about in Witcher 3, apparently).

So no, Yen isn't the only one with reason to be pissed.

Last edited:
I just can't bring myself to do a Yen playthrough. I already know just how much more it fits with story from what other people have said and from my first playthrough seeing how many interactions you get with her.

I honestly found Yen horrible, the way she treated people, acted wrecklessly without care and how manipulative she was. I'll never pick her no matter how much the game pushes me to.

Plus all I would be thinking is why couldn't the Triss romance be like this and it would make it even worse.

I can understand that! If folks don't want to play through it, I suggest they at least find a YouTube video of the Last Wish...it won't relate the IMPACT they'd get experiencing it the first time first hand but, it would still hold up well I think. That and the dialog after the two intimate scenes with Yen...

Yen drops her guard/shield in those moments...and there is a warmth that the writers related to the player. It shows a glimmer of the reason why Geralt puts up with her the rest of the time and then...there is dat'ass too... :D

If you went with Triss she should have already been at Kaer Morhen and greeted you when you bring UMA. They could have let you talk with her and improved the interactions with the witchers and Yen regarding Triss like many people have already suggested. Also, the Trial of the Grasses or drinking scene don't have to change really.

Triss could say she can't watch The Trial and leave during it. Geralt could have the choice to go after her or something. The drinking scene could include Triss and give Triss and Yen a way to exchange some words.

These things plus dialogue on the boat and maybe a mention of why they split up would really improve everything. Even if we find Geralt told her he needed to do this alone because he was overwhelmed and then Triss got hurt would have been fine with me just for the sake of one canon prologue for everyone (and then they don't need to change the story).

Considering that the majority of the people who played TW1 & 2 and about 60%+ of the people who played TW3 are not satisfied with the romance dialogues with Triss. I find it a bit difficult to believe that CDPR didn't foresee this coming.

I'm sure after all the work they put in building the characters in TW games and making Triss the main female protagonist in the previous games. That some of the developers felt exactly the same we did during the testing. So, the bigger question still stands... Why is this happening from the start?

For some of us who are not good at playing this type of games and suffers a lot to progress through them and mainly care about the story and romance. What we hoped for in TW3 was thrown out of the window.

I'm sorry about all the negativity, I'm a bit frustrated.

I'm sure that CDPR is putting a lot of effort into fixing this. At least the stuff that could be fixed without having to go through remaking the whole game.

Did the developers provide any further information or responses about what they're doing to fix it? Has there been any more contributions from them to the cause and to this thread? How do they feel about it?

Considering that the majority of the people who played TW1 & 2 and about 60%+ of the people who played TW3 are not satisfied with the romance dialogues with Triss. I find it a bit difficult to believe that CDPR didn't foresee this coming.

I'm sure after all the work they put in building the characters in TW games and making Triss the main female protagonist in the previous games. That some of the developers felt exactly the same we did during the testing. So, the bigger question still stands... Why is this happening from the start?

For some of us who are not good at playing this type of games and suffers a lot to progress through them and mainly care about the story and romance. What we hoped for in TW3 was thrown out of the window.

I'm sorry about all the negativity, I'm a bit frustrated.

I'm sure that CDPR is putting a lot of effort into fixing this. At least the stuff that could be fixed without having to go through remaking the whole game.

Did the developers provide any further information or responses about what they're doing to fix it? Has there been any more contributions from them to the cause and to this thread? How do they feel about it?

There hasn't been any confirmation on what they plan to do yet, all the replies are in the opening post. We've been told that the problems discussed here have been brought to the developers and that future dlc and expansions could fix these issues.

If Geralt wanted to be pissed at Triss for "taking advantage" of him, then it should have been on the boat ride in Witcher 2. That's supposedly when Triss tells him the "painful parts" about his past, things that would even be painful to Triss. I allowed for that after getting done with Witcher 2, because I thought they'd fill in the gaps with Witcher 3.

So no, Yen isn't the only one with reason to be pissed.

They were in the realm of good and consistent writing back in W2. Once you hear the whole story, you can: deny her the rose, deny her at every opportunity, blame her for the lodge stuff, deny her advances in the bath (and get MR), don't rescue her at all and go do political stuff...

Or you can, give her the rose (knowing its meaning), have a nice time in the baths, be understanding, rescue her and tell her why you did it, set out on a trip between the two to find Yennefer.

See? Options for everyone.

And since we're discussing W2, let's go for the transition between games. W1 ends up with you and King Foltest being attacked by an unknown assassin. W2 starts with you as bodyguard to Foltest (because you saved him and he recruited you) and him being the target of yet another assassin. Only part that wasn't made all right was the Shani stuff and there was even a name to that incident, (one would think they would learn from their mistake, but even then they gave a reason and they explained in the journal (not good enough, they could have solved it by not having them wake up together). At least it accounted for one of the possibilities that the player could take.

Anyway, back to transition from W2 to W3. You spend half the game with Triss and the other looking for her. You two reunited and leave the ruins together. W3 starts with them broken up one week after the end of W2 (no reason shown whatsoever) and you and Vesemir looking for Yen. Gotta wonder why Vesemir is the one to look for her since he doesn't care much about her, instead of Triss, who told you she would help you do it, was a friend of hers(hence personal interest in doing it) and the two were shown setting out together , ergo, they start the game together. (not necessarily romantically together, but together as in one besides the other)

This is not, as many say, go beyond the realm of possibility in order to include Triss in a plot that doesn't concern her (very debatable), it's the other way around, its the devs going OUT of the their way to deliberately keep her out of the main story, breaking the continuity from the last game.

(Sorry for the angry rant, I'm playing as Trevor in GTA5 and gotta stay in character)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom