1080p on ps4 vs the fps of xbox one?

+
1080p on ps4 vs the fps of xbox one?

What do you think is better? I watched a few frame rate comparisons and xbox one wins out big time. PS4 will drop to 19fps in the most graphical area's where xbox one is around 27fps.

This brings up an interesting debate would you rather have the game 900p and more playable fps or 1080p that sony pushes for?

Either one is fine, but to add some value and not any fanboy-ism to the thread. It is true that 1080p matters more for the bigger the screen you have. I am playing on a 50 inch on Xbox one and it is fine. But if you do go to 60 inch i'm just saying you may notice the difference slightly more if you get my drift. The pixels get more separated on bigger screens... Now fps I would say in my opinion matters just as much on a 19 inch screen as it does on a 60inch screen. This game on xbox one ps4, or pc is awesome PERIOD.

Last edited:
For me there is no excuse for ever dropping below 30 fps. I would rather have 900p or even 720p if that is what it takes to get a smooth framerate. I hate that so many games on todays consoles have framerates dipping below 30.

In the past (for me) the biggest appeal for console gaming vs pc gaming has been that with consoles you got a smooth running, (mostly) bug free game without the hassles of installing, patching, driver updating and so on. That unfortunately already started to change for the worse in the previous console generation, and in this generation it is starting to seem like there are no more games coming without mandatory day one patches and framerate issues.. :(

It is what it is i guess...

higher framerate hands down with no questions asked.

i play only on pc, but its the same there, i rather turn some options down and have a smooth fps than the other way around (alltho i personally dont have a problem atm, cause SLI + 4k is just too epic XD)

During the second to last boss fight, my fps must have dropped to single figures on two occasion (i had to reload the game because it was unplayable). I'm on Xbox. As for the rest of it. Unless you are sitting with 2 TVs, with each respective console plugged into each TV, then I find it hard to believe anyone will notice the difference between both consoles, when both are running as intended. The fan wars being what they are, people will see any old shit to justify their purchase, even if that means deluding themselves.

The only great differences are between PC and consoles, not the PS4 and X1.

Framerate (= Playability) >> Resolution

"1080p" is thrown around way too much as a marketing tool, especially given the console's inability to maintain a decent enough framerate. Also, 60 fps >> 30 fps in terms of playability.

Edit: I'm on PC, by the way, and have never owned and don't intend to own either console.

Last edited:
I have Witcher on ps4, there is occasional lags, but hey that's not where the world is going to end.. I have PC and i would run this game smoothly on it, but i rather play on console than on PC.

I actually went out & bought a ps4 just to play this game, I didn't even consider there would be any issues with the game.. especially framerate, as they are generally optimized well enough on consoles to be playable at their minimum requirements. It was slightly heart breaking to find out the game actually only runs anywhere from 15-30fps on the ps4, especially in Velen.. White Orchard isn't as bad. I could've easily went out & bought a super rig and played it at 4k/60fps but I chose not to, I'm a console player ..always have been. Having said that though, I'm starting to think differently about consoles these days.. I'm getting tired of unfinished games being released on them, it shouldn't happen.. period! Standards have definately slipped in recent years and if this is to be common place for most games on consoles hence forth, I may bite the bullet and invest in a rig.. but I shouldn't HAVE to, this is my point. end rant.
Getting back on topic, I would opt for 1080p/30fps (which I did) on ps4 if they actually get around to patching a 30fps lock. If not then I'd go for the xbone 900p/30fps experience on a console. But obviously pc is the winner, that is.. if you want to invest more moolah for a 4k/60fps playthrough

Last edited:
You can play on 20" Monitor with 1440x900 resolution and have MUCH better image quality then on FHD TV 42". Resoluion is very overhyped , most people don't take into consideration how for from the screen they sit. "Glorious" 4k looks awsome on 22" Monitor if you sit near the screen but on 42" living room TV its just waste cus you won't notice almost any difference between UHD and FHD from 4-6m.

I own the game on PS4 and seriously regret buying it on my PS4 over my Xbox one! the game is stunning on both but on PS4 the game locks the frame rate to 20fps whenever it rains or you are in the bogs! This is apparently because the game is double buffered instead of triple buffered like on Xbox one.

The game becomes like a slide show when fighting more then one enemy and is just terrible.
I knew I should of bought it on my Xbox one as open world games like dragon age also ran better on my Xbox one and obviously for me I would rather have 900p stable 30fps over 1080p dipping below 30fps frequently!!

What's worse is I have no idea why cd projeck hasn't patched the ps4 version to be vsync triple buffered like the Xbox one version and removed the dam 20fps lock whenever the frame rate drops below 30? Seriously it's ridiculous.

I have just about had enough, I have been waiting a while now for the fps problems on PS4 to be sorted, I thought cd projeck would be reliable enough to fix the game but I am now contemplating to trade in my ps4 version and add a bit of money to get witcher 3 on xbox one.

Sadly I will need to start again which would be B.S! I seriously thought cd projekt would if sorted the major fps problem in ps4 by now, but obviously they don't care, they have our money so can't be bothered.

Woops sorry guys its my first time postin on this forums, so still learning the ropes lol plus i am on internet explorer via my xbox one at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
And.... this type of thread can often become a ban-magnet. So please, stay on-topic, and no flaming.

One off-topic post has just been deleted.

i've had every generation of playstation but only the original xbox,also i'm not as sensitive as others to frame rate.W3 is playable in its current state on ps4 but that said i do notice the frame rate drops,if the only way for the ps4 version to match the xbox frame rate is to drop the resolution to match then i would be happy for that to happen.

Does XBO's upscaling do a good job? If yes and the game has same details level, and higher FPS, then XBO.

Higher fps anytime, but there is not much difference between ps4 and xbox one version. They are basically same thing.

Xbox One got dynamic scaling, PS4 is native 1080p.

So in my opinion CDPR should do exactly the same thing they did with the xbox one, dynamic scaling from 900p in heavy graphical scenes/areas to 1080p in lesser heavy graphical scenes/areas. Because honestly the difference between 900p and 1080p isn't alot, the human eye can literally not see the difference between them - but the performance FPS wise improves. I could play The Witcher 3 on 480p even, graphics and visuals isn't that important. Bad resolution or graphics isn't game breaking, what is game breaking is studdering and FPS issues which the PS4 got alot of.

I'm getting quite sick about this whole PS4 marketing about how beast of a console it is and how it can take the very best games in cap'd 30 FPS in 1080p. The PS4 physically can't take 1080p with most games because its hardware is just too bad for being able to handle it. So do you give up graphics to fix game breaking and annoying FPS drops? Yes I would any day.

tl:dr:

Give the PS4 dynamic scaling like on the Xbox One

@MrBlu3

It is my understanding XBO's dynamic scaling simply refers to cutscenes (1080p) vs everything else (900p).
It should not switch between resolutions during the gameplay proper.

I think it's the case because people would certainly notice the res switch if, for instance, it'd been programmed to kick in if the fps go below 25 fps or somesuch.

@MrBlu3

It is my understanding XBO's dynamic scaling simply refers to cutscenes (1080p) vs everything else (900p).
It should not switch between resolutions during the gameplay proper.

I think it's the case because people would certainly notice the res switch if, for instance, it'd been programmed to kick in if the fps go below 25 fps or somesuch.

Yeah, could be right on this one. Though I'd like to see dynamic scaling atleast during rainy weather because it'll make you drop about 10-12 FPS during. Also swamp areas has been producing alot of lag and FPS drops, whilst doing the Ladies of the Wood quests you're running around with about 15 FPS. Same with a few cut scenes, you can see in some where the FPS gets dropped way bellow 20. I don't often get FPS drops during other situations when I roam around the world, but during these 3 things I can see the drop big time.

I guess with the rain they could lower the graphical settings of particles or ammount of rain drops per second.

For the swamp areas they could do a quick transition when you enter them. I've noticed at times like in Novigrad where there's alot of pop-ups and slow texture rendering that they send out a loading screen which loads in all of the crucial things which didn't spawn correctly. The loading screen is up for about 1-2 seconds, nothing much really. Maybe make the same thing with the swamp areas, but instead of loading in textures and objects properly it scales down to 900p. Though it'd probably be annoying to enter a swamp area and get a 1-2 second loading screen everytime. Either that or lower the ammount of foliage in the area, I've noticed that there's alot of it and I'm pretty sure that they're one of the major issues.

For cinematics, yeah that speaks for itself. Like you explained that the Xbox One transitions between 1080p and 900p in cutscenes and outside of it, so put 900p during cutscenes.

These are three things which brings the PS4 alot of FPS issues. The cinematic scaling is possible, the particle reducement during rain is possible aswell. Though the swamp areas is a bigger issue, not sure if removing a bit of the foliage would improve the FPS with alot or even a bit, but it's a good try atleast if it would. Having a loading screen whilst entering that area would just kill the immersion of the game, but it'd be a situation where it's able to scale down to 900p which is needed in that area.

Tbh, I'd not bother if they put native 900p with the PS4. The visual difference isn't big at all and no one would care nor bother about it. So the best solution with all this is to not even bring in dynamic scaling, the best option is to put it from native 1080p to native 900p. And then maybe lower some particle effects in the game.

I actually went out & bought a ps4 just to play this game, I didn't even consider there would be any issues with the game.. especially framerate, as they are generally optimized well enough on consoles to be playable at their minimum requirements. It was slightly heart breaking to find out the game actually only runs anywhere from 15-30fps on the ps4, especially in Velen.. White Orchard isn't as bad. I could've easily went out & bought a super rig and played it at 4k/60fps but I chose not to, I'm a console player ..always have been. Having said that though, I'm starting to think differently about consoles these days.. I'm getting tired of unfinished games being released on them, it shouldn't happen.. period! Standards have definately slipped in recent years and if this is to be common place for most games on consoles hence forth, I may bite the bullet and invest in a rig.. but I shouldn't HAVE to, this is my point. end rant.
Getting back on topic, I would opt for 1080p/30fps (which I did) on ps4 if they actually get around to patching a 30fps lock. If not then I'd go for the xbone 900p/30fps experience on a console. But obviously pc is the winner, that is.. if you want to invest more moolah for a 4k/60fps playthrough

Only 0.06% of people game in 4K I still run 1080. you don't need a super rig to handle the witcher 3 you can tame this beast on a i3 4130 gtx 750 ti 2gb card 8gb ram 40 fps on low to medium settings .my self I run a i7 5820k gtx 980 16 gb ram but i use my pc for other things besides gaming.

Last edited:
Buy a decent PC. The game looks like dog shit on a console. For the money you spend on an XBOX or PS4 you could afford a PC that will run TW3 on Ultra.

Buy a decent PC. The game looks like dog shit on a console. For the money you spend on an XBOX or PS4 you could afford a PC that will run TW3 on Ultra.

It does not look bad on consoles. In fact if you don't go mad with a heavy Reshade preset, Cutscene lighting mod, .ini tweaks to increase view distance and LOD, PS4 vs PC is eerily similar. Too similar.

But I guess buying a console over it makes no sense, and ofc it's much better to upgrade or look for a PC, if that's the choice.

Top Bottom