Did they fix horse walking animation yet?

+

Guest 3819801

Did they fix horse walking animation yet?

Hey, I haven't played witcher 3 yet and I am too lazy to download it via steam right now after OS reinstall, but I am wondering if they fixed this jerky horse walking animation yet? Or the game isn't ready yet and I have to forget about it until 2016~ when it will truly come out?

Guest 3819801

Ok, thanks for quick reply!
Will check this forum from time to time.

I guess it's too hard to understand that horses trot in that way. At this point I can only admit to myself that it's impossible to make understand certain things to certain people. I tried to explain in already 4 threads that this behavior is not a bug but it's clearly how the animation is meant to be to simulate a trot of an horse but, alas, it seems it didn't work.

Well, I just think you will have to wait a loooot of time for the "fix" (or rather I hope so, elsewhere it would mean CDPR willingly turned an horse into a car just to make some people happy).

Horses work fine for me.

Sometimes they stop dead, like when something is directly in front of them, or a cliff, etc. It's jarring as a gamer.

But if you've ever ridden a horse, that ish actually happens. Horses are not robots.

CDPR just gave you a free life lesson b****es.

Roach behaves the way a REAL horse would behave. Not a pretend video game representation of a horse-bot, which is what some seem to want.

Are we talking about the stutter that occurs when trotting (slowest speed) with the horse? I haven't noticed any wonky animation issues.

Guest 3819801

Are we talking about the stutter that occurs when trotting (slowest speed) with the horse? I haven't noticed any wonky animation issues.

Yeah, when walking with slowest speed on horse there is frame skipping every time when horse steps on it's right leg... Or just before that. I don't remember exactly, but it happens at the very same time with every step. You won't miss it if you'll check it out. Camera skips frame at exact intervals. The best way to notice it is to turn camera while walking. It's ok while standing or galloping though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQkc9fnGgm8 Best video i've found showing this. Although if you don't want notice it don't check it out! :D My friend told me he didn't notice horse stuttering before I told him and now he can't use roach anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILWeoD8bJvQ Also a good video showing how camera pauses every right step.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--I2373YpgM And here you can see how animation itself stutters while trotting

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it's too hard to understand that horses trot in that way. At this point I can only admit to myself that it's impossible to make understand certain things to certain people. I tried to explain in already 4 threads that this behavior is not a bug but it's clearly how the animation is meant to be to simulate a trot of an horse but, alas, it seems it didn't work.

Well, I just think you will have to wait a loooot of time for the "fix" (or rather I hope so, elsewhere it would mean CDPR willingly turned an horse into a car just to make some people happy).

Your wrong the animation cycle is broken.

Last edited:
Yeah, when walking with slowest speed on horse there is frame skipping every time when horse steps on it's right leg... Or just before that. I don't remember exactly, but it happens at the very same time with every step. You won't miss it if you'll check it out. Camera skips frame at exact intervals. The best way to notice it is to turn camera while walking. It's ok while standing or galloping though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQkc9fnGgm8 Best video i've found showing this. Although if you don't want notice it don't check it out! :D My friend told me he didn't notice horse stuttering before I told him and now he can't use roach anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILWeoD8bJvQ Also a good video showing how camera pauses every right step.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--I2373YpgM And here you can see how animation itself stutters while trotting

1st 2 are totally fine. Nothing wrong with it, don't see any stuttering. If you do, you're imagining it.

The 3rd one however, I've never seen that in over 350 hours played. And that looks like an overall display issue more than *just* the horse.

Guest 3819801

1st 2 are totally fine. Nothing wrong with it, don't see any stuttering. If you do, you're imagining it.

The 3rd one however, I've never seen that in over 350 hours played. And that looks like an overall display issue more than *just* the horse.

Nope, you just don't notice it (which is good for you actually). The horse animation works the same for absolutely everybody, so you have it too. You just can't tell if it's broken or not.
Also in first and second video there are absolutely obvious stutters, but less noticeable compared to third video since camera is not located on side.

Last edited by a moderator:

No it's not,they already acknowledged it being out of sync.Walk around trees while on foot and then use the horse.
In terms of beta testing you're a pain in the ass,test before you assume based on non technical theories.

I'm definitely getting the stutter. The more smoothly you can run the overall game, the more noticeable it is.

I am not seeing any animation glitch at all. And I've really been looking. The camera stutters in the same place for each animation cycle, but the animation itself is perfectly fine.

Guest 3819801

The camera stutters in the same place for each animation cycle, but the animation itself is perfectly fine.

Yeah that's exactly the problem. You see I don't mind bad animation. I wouldn't even notice that animation was broken if not for the camera stuttering. It's so annoying.
The problem is related to animation since camera stutters do not occur when horse speed is changed.
But if you couldn't notice animation glitches, check third video I gave on 1 page... You'll definitely notice it.

Yeah that's exactly the problem. You see I don't mind bad animation. I wouldn't even notice that animation was broken if not for the camera stuttering. It's so annoying.
The problem is related to animation since camera stutters do not occur when horse speed is changed.
But if you couldn't notice animation glitches, check third video I gave on 1 page... You'll definitely notice it.

I saw it that time. I really don't think there's anything wrong with the animation, it's just missing a few frames off the end of the loop. Might be easiest to just re-do the whole animation file. So the stutter is caused by the animation being reset to its start point before its finished its loop. Curious how that could have made it into the official release.

Yeah, I also noticed the stutter on the slowest speed for Roach. Works fine on he 2nd or max speed. Was trying to take the world in with the slow speed, but the stutters kill that immersion.

happens on the ps4 too. even on patch 1.08. to those not noticing the animation loop problem, look at the environment as roach trots. the entire world stops moving for one frame every time the walk animation loops. it's noticable if you look at the environments which are closest to your horse. i've lent the game to my friend while waiting for this issue to be fixed

I guess everybody here's talking about that little, barely noticeable hitch when the trotting animation loop starts over?
That one's still there.

I actually noticed a similar issue with Ciri's walking animation. Now I don't know if this is only happening with her alternate get up enabled but there's also some, in this case a little bit more noticeable hitching going on. Next time you get the chance to play as Ciri, take a closer look at her head and her hair while walking around and you should notice a similar hitch or stutter in the animation loop.

Top Bottom