Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer Triss, yet I don't dislike Yen's character per se. As a mostly game player (read only some of the books) If anything I was very intrigued by her character. I decided to pick Triss first and then Yen'S charm captured me, even if some parts didn't resonate with me that much, but still, in that last wish quest, with them in the boat and the music, I gotta confess, I almost got caught in the tango stuff. I decided to leave her for a second walkthrough. That never happened because of the whole Triss content stuff which left me angry and I somehow took it on her character entirely for metagaming reasons. Anyway, point is, not all Triss fans are equal lol. And there are also some suggestions/ideas/missed opportunities about Yen content too. Here is one of mine:

The highly anticipated reunion should have been much much longer. Sitting in the park, playing Gwent (instead of the nobleman, it should have been Yennefer the one with the OP deck), throw some teasing in the likely scenario that she wins. Hell they could have made a strip Gwent between the two.

There should have been some talks about what both had been up to, making Yen the IMPORT-your-game character, instead of the general. Perfect opportunity to get Yen thoughts and opinions on the choices we’d made in the other two games. And perfectly logical too I mean, if we’ve been searching for her six months in a row and never seen each other in years logic would dictate that one of the things we’d be doing is CATCHING UP. This is imo the first GREAT MISSED OPPORTUNITY, having her as the import character would have killed two birds with one stone. She gets a proper introduction, we get to know how she thinks on different issues and talk about her past.

Then discuss the matter of Ciri, what it means to them, throw some flashback to their iconic scenes. Make the player care. And also, make us understand the history between the two. All the good and all the bad. Throw some semi steamy scene if your choices were to her liking and then off we go to Velen.

Regarding the topics we get to discuss with Yen, the different options could lead to her take on worldly issues, or conversation about her/our past.

roche vs iorveth could touch the subject of discrimination, our role in the first game maybe.
Arian La vallete on political intrigue / our time bodyguarding for Foltest
saving Letho could lead to a discussion on her first days upon being freed.
Sile could lead to her opinions on the lodge
Triss rescue would open pandora's box. (and once things are calmed down discuss the issue of friends vs great causes)

A lot of things could have been better regarding continuity from Witcher 2. A conversation with Yen (even if you imported a save) would have made the choices you made atleast feel acknowledged.

I have played witcher 2 and read about 4 books from the series (plan to read all of them later). In witcher 3, I felt the devs did a good job with yennefer. There were a couple of scenes and dialogue that always had me saying that "that is how yen is like in the books". The last wish quest was really beautiful, everything from the dialogue, scenary and the music, I was quite blown away by the end of the quest and might end up choosing yen for my subsequent playthrough.

One things I would like to see more in the expansion and enhanced edition is to have gearlt getting into a banter with yen because there was quite a few in the game that was memorable but just not enough

Yen and Ciri at the Melitele temple :)

I love this part :D

“Lady Yennefer?”

“Yes.”
“May I… As part of the sincerity you promised… May I ask you something?”
“You may. But, by all the gods, not about virginity, please.”
Ciri bit her lip and did not say anything for a long time.
“Too bad,” sighed Yennefer. “Let it be. Ask away.”
“Because, you see…” Ciri blushed and licked her lips, “the girls in the dormitory are always gossiping and telling all sorts of stories… About Belleteyn’s feast and others like that… And they say I’m a snotty kid, a child because it’s time… Lady Yennefer, how does it really work? How can one know that the time has come…”
“…to go to bed with a man?”
Ciri blushed a deep shade of crimson. She said nothing for a while then raised her eyes and nodded.
“It’s easy to tell,” said Yennefer, naturally. “If you are beginning to think about it then it’s a sign the time has come.”
“But I don’t want to!”
“It’s not compulsory. You don’t want to, then you don’t.”
“Ah.” Ciri bit her lip again. “And that… Well… Man… How can you tell it’s the right one to…”
“…go to bed with?”
“Mmmh.”
“If you have any choice at all,” the enchantress twisted her lips in a smile, “but don’t have much experience, you first appraise the bed.”
Ciri’s emerald eyes turned the shape and size of saucers.
“How’s that… The bed?”
“Precisely that. Those who don’t have a bed at all, you eliminate on the spot. From those who remain, you eliminate the owners of any dirty or slovenly beds. And when only those who have clean and tidy beds remain, you choose the one you find most attractive. Unfortunately, the method is not a hundred per cent foolproof. You can make a terrible mistake.”
“You’re joking?”
“No. I’m not joking, Ciri.

One things I would like to see more in the expansion and enhanced edition is to have gearlt getting into a banter with yen because there was quite a few in the game that was memorable but just not enough

Wouldn't say there wasn't enough Yen-Geralt-Banter but still... what's there is so awesome that TW3 would definitely deserve a lot more banter between those two, yes :)

More Yen-Geralt-Ciri relationship. I'm not sure where Triss should stand but.. i'm sure we can think of something for her :D

I'm spending far too much time in here now, so I thought I could at least leave a comment. On things that were relevant like a week ago ;)
Ah, and did I mention this thread seems to be more civil than the Triss one? Probably because I don't like people complaining on 750 pages, but sometimes the discussion there goes a bit ... questionable.

This is easily one of the best moment in the game for me...

Actually, I'm staring at this for about 20 minutes by now.

By javvie

*the text is in Polish

What is the third word? I can read something like "Geralt, weź [...] ogarniaj" if I'm not completely mistaken.

Last edited:
Ah, and did I mention this thread seems to be more civil than the Triss one? Probably because I don't like people complaining on 750 pages, but sometimes the discussion there goes a bit ... questionable.

Agreed... though the Triss romance really does feel a lot more flawed to me, the whole discussion has gotten kinda boring. On the other hand here it seems to be a lot less about the players/readers who expect something from cdpr than about celebrating the character and I think that's a wonderful thing.

I'm spending far too much time in here now, so I thought I could at least leave a comment. On things that were relevant like a week ago ;)Ah, and did I mention this thread seems to be more civil than the Triss one? Probably because I don't like people complaining on 750 pages, but sometimes the discussion there goes a bit ... questionable.

Welcome Tjerra - good to have you here. Probably the posts here are more civil because I think many fans of the Witcher universe are really pleased what CDPR did with Yen's character in Witcher 3 game...Yennefer wasn't in Witcher 1 and 2 but it is great to see that she is getting the recognition she deserves (finally). Seeing so many new fan arts and topics over the internet, people discussing about her character everyday...And it is not only about book-readers which like Yennerfer - many non-book readers chosing Yen as main romance in the game... :)

Just a moment ago a tumblr user Lena posted something like this - it describes also my feeling about Yen in the game:
I’ve never played The Witcher series nor read the books, yet from watching others play, my heart loves Yennefer.
I get a lot of people hate her but I see something in her that is so interesting. She is driven, she hides her feelings, yet you can see in her eyes she loves so passionately and it scares the shit out of her so she tries to be cold. Geralt and Triss share a mutual, open love for one another but Geralt and Yen have this deep rooted passionate connection. They aren’t all over one another in public, yet in both of their eyes you can see they are deeply, and passionately in love with one another and I find that to be breathtaking really.

Actually, I'm staring at this for about 20 minutes by now.

:D oh yeah - the whole "CIRIIIIIIIIIII" scene....it's the best!

What is the third word? I can read something like "Geralt, weź [...] ogarniaj" if I'm not completely mistaken.

I also cannot read that third word. :)

Last edited:
Yen vs Triss Triss vs Yen. Even if you want to appreciate both, the situation forces you to take sides, and eventually arguing for one of them ends in arguing against the other ;) But it looks like people here try tehir best to avoid open warfare.

Seems like no once considers the 3rd solution to be the best: that Geralt stays alone.

Yen vs Triss Triss vs Yen. Even if you want to appreciate both, the situation forces you to take sides, and eventually arguing for one of them ends in arguing against the other ;) But it looks like people here try tehir best to avoid open warfare.

Seems like no once considers the 3rd solution to be the best: that Geralt stays alone.

Yeah well a lof ot people here like Triss too and actually support the big Triss topic about the the inconsistency - I know that I voted for more Triss there :)

Btw. Lone wolf Geralt isn't bad ending at all...;)

Yeah well a lof ot people here like Triss too and actually support the big Triss topic about the the inconsistency - I know that I voted for more Triss there :)

Btw. Lone wolf Geralt isn't bad ending at all...;)

I guess most of us are in the same boat. More Triss is definately needed, overall the love triangle relationship should be improved. I think it would both beenfit both camps.
It's kind of sad, but I don't think Geralt is capable of a working relationship. And Yennefer is totally not the person who could have a working relationship (atleast not in the way the epilogue suggests). Triss I don't know.

And Yennefer is totally not the person who could have a working relationship (atleast not in the way the epilogue suggests).

I guess Yennefer from Lady of the Lake book is very capable to have good working relationship with Geralt...and the Yen's ending in the game is actually what Geralt wished for him and Yen in the book ("reading mind" part in Thanned)...really hard to say :) I believe it can work for them :)

I guess most of us are in the same boat. More Triss is definately needed, overall the love triangle relationship should be improved. I think it would both beenfit both camps.
It's kind of sad, but I don't think Geralt is capable of a working relationship. And Yennefer is totally not the person who could have a working relationship (atleast not in the way the epilogue suggests). Triss I don't know.
After what Geralt and Yen went through (books and games) I doubt they want to be separated again. Lay low for a while then exploring the world, that is more like it.

Welcome Tjerra - good to have you here. Probably the posts here are more civil because I think many fans of the Witcher universe are really pleased what CDPR did with Yen's character in Witcher 3 game...Yennefer wasn't in Witcher 1 and 2 but it is great to see that she is getting the recognition she deserves (finally). Seeing so many new fan arts and topics over the internet, people discussing about her character everyday...And it is not only about book-readers which like Yennerfer - many non-book readers chosing Yen as main romance in the game...

Yep. I remember the time shortly after the SoD trailer came out, with Ciri and Yennefer in it, and I as a book reader was really afraid of their portrayal. You know, the moment when you start asking if the company that already made two great games out of the lore, more or less sticking to it, is capable of portraying those two. But when the game finally came out I thought they did a good job. Sometimes I've got a feeling Yen is a bit more likeable so that non-book readers have a chance to get to like her, but well - Yen changed a lot during the books, and after Lady of the Lake lots of stuff happened, so maybe that's just a logical consequence?
(I hated her at first, I have to admit. Started the books with Blood of the Elves (after having played TW2!), and I thought how can she be so rude and cold towards little Ciri? But then I managed to get the whole series and I started to understand I just misunderstood her character.)
I admire Triss, too, but having read the books I just can't get myself to choose her over Yen. Well, those things are complicated and probably not handled that well at all in the game, but that's been said for a hundred of times now :)

Wait, we all still love Yennefer right? :)

I mean Triss is nice too but yeah.. it's kinda hard to pick between the two when you put all bias/knowledge from the books or lores aside. That's why going for lone wolf might be a better choice for some haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom