Full Alchemy Rebalance! Give us the alchemy we know and love!

+
Full Alchemy Rebalance! Give us the alchemy we know and love!

Remember Full Combat Rebalance 2 for TW2? I do too. After it came out, I wouldn't play Witcher 2 without it.

Remember Witcher and Witcher 2's alchemy system? Preparation and planning was the name of the game. You needed to make sure you had the ingredients to make the potions you needed. You needed to meditate and brew said potions. You needed to drink them BEFORE going into combat. Because who can open up their potions, drink them, and re-store those bottles during combat? This new approach (which I assume was made in order to attract new fans to the series) is just not up to snuff.

Who else wants to see a return to Witcher 2's alchemy system? I use a mod to get me half-way there now, but I want to go all the way. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, CDPR, give us the option to make this possible when Redkit2 comes out.

i hated the alchemy on tw2..
drinking only during meditation is really bad.. imho the best mechanic of alchemy is that on tw1.. far better than others, but ye.. auto refill sux :D

i hated the alchemy on tw2..
drinking only during meditation is really bad.. imho the best mechanic of alchemy is that on tw1.. far better than others, but ye.. auto refill sux :D

Witcher 1's was good. What would actually be perfect is if they simply add a potion drinking animation that would prevent you from doing any combat moves while you drink. That would be awesome.

PS, Moontroll, err knight, Combat Rebalance wasn't for everyone but made combat so much more fun for me. So, not suck. Very not suck.

I wouldn't mind to see the system from TW1 return. However decoctions would need to be handled differently, since they require rare substances found only once or twice in the game. And merchants would need to restock alchemical substances and alcohol more frequently, or carry them in larger numbers.

I still want to be able to drink potions during combat though, perhaps with an added animation. White Raffard's, nuff said.

The Witcher 1, best alchemy system and the alchemy graphical interface was totally sexy. But if I recall correctly you could drink potions in battle in TW1, which was totally fine imo. Meditation only to prepare and potions weren't infinite like in TW3. Much better. Anyways, I don't hold too much hope it will ever come back.

The Witcher 1, best alchemy system and the alchemy graphical interface was totally sexy. But if I recall correctly you could drink potions in battle in TW1, which was totally fine imo. Meditation only to prepare and potions weren't infinite like in TW3. Much better. Anyways, I don't hold too much hope it will ever come back.

That's what mods are for - hopefully. I really wish we had some details about Redkit.

Tuco

Forum veteran
I have absolutely no problem with how alchemy works now, quite frankly.
I find it better than ever, to say it all. In TW1 it was complexity without any actual utility (you could just completely ignore any kind of consumable after a while, no matter the difficulty setting) while in TW2 was both oversimplified AND pointless.
I think this third game strikes the best balance so far and it also makes things like bombs finally actually fun to use.

Anyway, among many things in the game I'd love to see improved, seeing so many people ranting about trivialities like "auto-refill" (abstraction in games, how does it work?) and "auto-sheath" is almost depressing.
It really gives the wrong feedback, as if coming from people who care about LARPing than making core mechanics rock solid.

Last edited:
I have absolutely no problem with how alchemy works now, quite frankly.
I find it better than ever, to say it all. In TW1 it was complexity without any actual utility (you could just completely ignore any kind of consumable after a while, no matter the difficulty setting) while in TW2 was both oversimplified AND pointless.
I think this third game strikes the best balance so far and it also makes things like bombs finally actually fun to use.

Anyway, among many things in the game I'd love to see improved, seeing so many people ranting about trivialities like "auto-refill" (abstraction in games, how does it work?) and "auto-sheath" is almost depressing.
It really gives the wrong feedback, as if coming from people who care about LARPing than making core mechanics rock solid.

This is non-sensical. How do people trivialize others' opinions like that? A /lot/ of people dis-like the auto-refill. I, for one, actually like it, but that's not the point. Everyone's opinion is valid. That's what feedback is for.

And besides, this is by far the worst of the alchemy systems. Geralt is supposed to prepare for fights by brewing and drinking potions. Not spend half (or over half) of each fight in the inventory menu switching potions in his two quick-slots, and immediately using them with potion-magic no matter what's happening. A simple potion drinking animation would have solved everyone's problem with this.

Also, bombs have ALWAYS been fun to use. Be honest.

Also also, alchemy IS a core mechanic in Witcher games.

Also also also, you can completely ignore potions in this game as well after a while. Especially on a full sword build. Same as the others. Same as most RPGs, actually. Witcher is not alone in getting easy once you have the majority of the "good" skills.

Top Bottom