Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Talked yesterday with three teamtriss friends. They've just read the books and were really surprised.

That's what i feared that if they only play the game, there is the possibility that they never fully understand the whole relationship with Ciri/Yennefer until they read the books. I know the books, i know the backstory, so i know what to make out of it in the games, but i think the game fails to show that in total to newcomers.

For those who didn't read any books Yennfer's character would not look so good. She is selfish, envious, interest-driven (like a black cat) and has a potential to be a great villian. Triss helps people all the time while Yen is just traveling and arguing with other people.
At the end of the game I felt like I should chop off Yen's head before she starts doing bad things: necromancy and stuff. And because she is really into this fetish thing, I would stick her head on her unicorn...

But she does those things precisely not for her own benefit, but for Ciri. Everything she does in the game is for the purpose of finding/saving Ciri.

How many people did you kill in the game for getting even little information about the whereabouts of Ciri?

Edit: When Geralt was dying in the books, Triss was ready to burn and demolish a whole village out of revenge and anger.

Edit2: I think it was even Yennefer, who stopped her, but i might be wrong on that.

Last edited:
This from World of The Witcher (my copy is coming next week)?

*EDIT
I am sorry... I am just kinda tired and could not read very well *facepalm*

Last edited:
For those who didn't read any books Yennfer's character would not look so good. She is selfish, envious, interest-driven (like a black cat) and has a potential to be a great villian. Triss helps people all the time while Yen is just traveling and arguing with other people.
At the end of the game I felt like I should chop off Yen's head before she starts doing bad things: necromancy and stuff. And because she is really into this fetish thing, I would stick her head on her unicorn...

Triss helps people in the games because she feels nothing than remorse for what she has done before - without having the courage to really stand up for the ones close to her. She even didn't have the courage to stand against Philippa and the lodge when they decided that they won't do anything to safe Geralt's life. Seducing Geralt in TW1 and TW2 while he lost his memory doesn't really make her a really virtuous character neither...

Yen on the other hand, she was already ready to sacrifice herself for those who she love. She was ready to lose her health (and she got tortured by Vilgefortz' men way beyond anything Triss encounters in TW3), she was ready to lose her societal position and she was ready to finally give her life for Ciri. How's that a selfish character? And envious? I don't think so. She's extremely jealous, that's true. One of her many bad traits...

Both women have their flaws, serious ones. Both are written as "real" characters by Sapkowski. They are no Disney princesses but real persons with dark and light sides. It's good that the players have the choice whom they prefer in the games. They only sad thing is that imho CDPR failed to give enough context why Triss and Yennefer act like they act in the games. You only see what they do but there is little information for people who don't know the books (or even the previous games) WHY they do so. For example, if you only play TW3 you know little about Triss seducing Geralt while he lost his memory. You need proper knowledge of the story of TW2 (and TW1) for that...

Last edited:
Triss helps people in the games because she feels nothing than remorse for what she has done before - without having the courage to really stand up for the ones close to her. She even didn't have the courage to stand against Philippa and the lodge when they decided that they won't do anything to safe Geralt's life. Seducing Geralt in TW1 and TW2 while he lost his memory doesn't really make her a really virtuous character neither...

Yen on the other hand, she was already ready to sacrifice herself for those who she love. She was ready to lose her health (and she got tortured way beyond anything Triss encounters in TW3 by Vilgefortz' men...), she was ready to lose her societal position and she was ready to finally give her life for Ciri. How's that a selfish character? And envious? I don't think so. She's extremely jealous, that's true. One of her many bad traits...

Both women have their flaws, serious ones. Both are written as "real" characters by Sapkowski. They are no Disney princesses but real persons with dark and light sides. It's good that the players have the choice whom they prefer in the games. They only sad thing is that imho CDPR failed to give enough context why Triss and Yennefer act like they act in the games. You only see what they do but there is little information for people who don't know the books WHY they do so.

Brilliant words but some people really see Disney story with only evil ones and good ones.

Yen on the other hand, she was already ready to sacrifice herself for those who she love. She was ready to lose her health (and she got tortured by Vilgefortz' men way beyond anything Triss encounters in TW3), she was ready to lose her societal position and she was ready to finally give her life for Ciri. How's that a selfish character? And envious? I don't think so. She's extremely jealous, that's true. One of her many bad traits...

Both women have their flaws, serious ones. Both are written as "real" characters by Sapkowski. They are no Disney princesses but real persons with dark and light sides. It's good that the players have the choice whom they prefer in the games. They only sad thing is that imho CDPR failed to give enough context why Triss and Yennefer act like they act in the games. You only see what they do but there is little information for people who don't know the books (or even the previous games) WHY they do so. For example, if you only play TW3 you know little about Triss seducing Geralt while he lost his memory. You need proper knowledge of the story of TW2 (and TW1) for that...

:cheers:

I finally did it! And now that I have responded to Lievy immediately and realized that you made fun of his assumptions (as one should since not a single proof was given) for thee following 6-8 pages, I feel like kicking a dead horse.
Well at least I am not the only one :D

I finally did it! And now that I have responded to Lievy immediately and realized that you made fun of his assumptions (as one should since not a single proof was given) for thee following 6-8 pages, I feel like kicking a dead horse.

Discussion is very welcomed here. But with valid arguments instead of "Yen would totally do this because I think so!!1" :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Discussion is very welcomed here. But please, show me the valid argument instead of "Yen would totally do this because I think so" :rolleyes:
Unfortunately, in todays Social Media arguing is more and more replaced by insulting everyone that doesn't share your exact opinion.

Reading the art book right know. It is interesting how the CDPR introduced Yen and how Triss.

Yennefer
The sorceress Yennefer of Vengerberg -- a one-time member of the Lodge of Sorceresses, Geralt's love, and teacher and adoptive mother to Ciri -- is without a doubt one of the two key female characters appearing in the Witcher books and games...

Triss Merigold
Triss Merigold is easily one of the most important supporting characters in our series of games, having appeared and played a key role in all three installments. This young but extraordinarily talented sorceress shares a complicated history with Geralt, one that exists somewhere on the spectrum between an on-and-off love affair and a deep, years-long friendship...

Don't know why they didn't re-do the CGs with the new yennefer model. She looks completely different in the intro....
But I'm glad they upgraded her looks

Yep, BUT....
.....maybe there's a very small chance that it was a mistake from the book writer :sofa:

Yep, BUT....
.....maybe there's a very small chance that it was a mistake from the book writer :sofa:

Maybe Yen forced the book writer with magic to write all that and to tell the world that Triss is nothing but an affaire ;). Of course she then killed the book writer like a pro :)

Maybe Yen forced the book writer with magic to write all that and to tell the world that Triss is nothing but an affaire ;). Of course she then killed the book writer like a pro :)

Yep, makes totally sense but don't scream it out :secret:

Edit :
Nope Geralt used AXII

Knowing Yen's monstruos character, it's possible:comeatmebro:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom