Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Too bad we still don't really know what does this star do exactly...

Kallelinski's post summed up why I was as unhappy about Yennefer's part in the game as I was. At first I was very happy, mostly because she was finally in a game and they did her justice appearance-wise. They got her attitude down perfectly and I ended up waiting the whole game for the rest of her character to show. Only bits and pieces made it in and I was really disappointed with that. I feel like CDPR was way too focused on getting her right at face value and her sensitive side suffered from it.

After platinum-ing the game, I really feel like I won't play through it again (without a reason to) because of how tiring it is to have to take all the NPC Yennefer bashing when people besides Yennefer have just the same amount, if not more, attitude and are willing to throw it around with no consequences. It seems like Yennefer is the only one to get all the hate for it. In addition to that, they never actually get her to stand up for herself. I remember only one instance where she did stand up for herself (in the inn right before The Last Wish quest) and it still ended up with more hate for the "witch" anyway. Why does Geralt only get results (sometimes) when he says to lay off of her with the small amount of opportunities he gets? And honestly, why should he when she is more than capable herself? It's not just Triss who can take care of herself.

I waited the whole game for Yennefer to get the credit she deserves in some way (where was the gratitude with UMA/Avallac'h after all her work?), but all that really came out of it was Lambert praising her shield spell...and then Triss's fireball spell praise was said as well in what felt like a "let's show that Lambert appreciates them both!" kind of thing. There was a real lack of Yennefer/Ciri moments besides a select few quick scenes that were overshadowed by how Geralt and Ciri are closer. I dunno, I feel like the books spoiled me. I expected the game to show off how it isn't wise to take her at face value at some point, but besides little cracks in her exterior with Geralt and Ciri, it failed.

One tiny area that I feel is ignored is how Yennefer didn't get angry at Geralt for going off with Ciri to kill Imlerith. This is somehow surprising to Geralt even though he knows her by now. She doesn't flip out on him for every little thing he does like every other NPC suggests at every opportunity they get. But even though Triss is the perfect mate for him in every way according to nearly everyone, she does get extremely angry at him. It's perfectly okay when Triss does something that people would judge Yennefer harshly for I guess.

Another aspect that got to me was the occasional subtle jab at Yennefer's role in the books. After the battle at Kaer Morhen, there were little comments that were made about how Yennefer's magic training with Ciri when she was young was taken as useless by Avallac'h. I feel this completely writes off a really good portion of Yennefer and Ciri's time together early on in the books as being pointless in the grand scheme of things. Also, during one of the quests with Ciri in the end, Ciri says something about not being able to live a free life and Yennefer got an "even Yennefer" comment while explaining all the reasons why. That was complete bullshit if you even take a quick glance at what she's done for her and how motherly Yennefer ends up in the books. That whole aspect of her is completely gone in the game. I won't even get into how little the history between Yennefer and the Lodge (and Triss) mattered at all. I know there are other examples, but I don't remember at the moment.

Anyway, this post is a bit of an incoherent mess so I'll just stop while I can. :p Complaining seems to get things changed so I might as well try!

Tbh I think that CDPR "nerfed" Yennefer on purpose in order to make her less attractive (not visually) than she would be if they just depicted late-book Yennefer the way she is. I man, the Triss fans already complain about Yennefer and how she important she suddenly is in TW3. And for somebody who doesn't know the book this is a perfectly viable compliant since Triss is indeed a very important NPC in the games. But for book lovers on the other hand, and especially Yen fans, that feels weird as well because it's just kind of inconsistent. Especially the relationship between Ciri and Yennefer feels greatly reduced, probably to make Triss a viable option.

It's really hard for CDPR, I think. Too many different expectations from different groups of people with different knowledge...

Tbh I think that CDPR "nerfed" Yennefer on purpose in order to make her less attractive (not visually) than she would be if they just depicted late-book Yennefer the way she is. I man, the Triss fans already complain about Yennefer and how she important she suddenly is in TW3. And for somebody who doesn't know the book this is a perfectly viable compliant since Triss is indeed a very important NPC in the games. But for book lovers on the other hand, and especially Yen fans, that feels weird as well because it's just kind of inconsistent. Especially the relationship between Ciri and Yennefer feels greatly reduced, probably to make Triss a viable option.

It's really hard for CDPR, I think. Too many different expectations from different groups of people with different knowledge...
This is true. It's quite the task to just add a character like Yennefer after all this time and make everyone happy. :p

And I didn't even get into why I thought The Last Wish quest was amazing and awful at the same time. Oh well, just more book reader complaints. :hai:

Hm...sounds strange..
Nerfed a character , so the other one looks not soooo bad ?
i mean, its not impossible if you think about it...

This is true. It's quite the task to just add a character like Yennefer after all this time and make everyone happy. :p

And I didn't even get into why I thought The Last Wish quest was amazing and awful at the same time. Oh well, just more book reader complaints. :hai:

You mean that godawful break up line?

I think it's suppose to enhance her magical abilities.

Indeed. Mages use metal medaillons like that to store magical energy so they can almost immediately cast spells if its needed. Without that they would have to scoop magical energy all the time they wanted to cast magic and that is also an exhausting an dangerous process. So medaillons can make spells stronger and they enable mages to cast faster. ;)

Eh, I give CDPR credit for trying, and the effort. It's better than if they had decided to not actually include her in the Witcher trilogy at all.

Eh, I give CDPR credit for trying, and the effort. It's better than if they had decided to not actually include her in the Witcher trilogy at all.

Of course! Damn, the last few pages are mostly complaints but I think most people here are generally pleased with Yennefer in this game...I am, at least ;)

You mean that godawful break up line?
Yup. And just the whole idea of the wish being why they're in love in the first place if you wanted it to be. If anything, I think the fact that Yennefer was still in love after the wish was undone and "suddenly" not Geralt still shows that the wish had nothing to do with love, as implied in the books. Geralt made the wish. The feelings he had before it was made don't just suddenly go away as if they were connected to the wish. They would have disappeared during the time the wish was active so it wouldn't just be a sudden thing. In the most sense, the break-up line was just a way out for him without getting "YENNEFER'S ALMIGHTY WRATH".

I understand why it was implemented like this, but I still consider it lazy and pays no respect to the canon of the books. But games and books are different, blah blah blah, etc. At least CDPR put some fan service in.

True but...hmmm how to say...properly or not at all...sounds a bit harsh i know, but dont have other words for it.
You can use this at so many points of this game....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom