Keyboard is terrible

+
I have a Cougar 700M mouse and a G510 keyboard. It is an exquisite set up that requires no chording whatsoever..

I'll preface this by saying it's one of the greatest games of all time.

Now that that's out of the way, the PC keyboard controls are almost unplayable, especially if you're playing on Death March.

Why do we have to hold a stance button to use heavy attacks when the controller assigns it to one button press? What's even more stupid is the fact that the default modify attack button is also the button that activates sprint, so if you want to use a heavy attack you will also be draining much needed stamina and won't be able to cast signs until it regenerates.

Considering harder difficulties REQUIRE dance-like dodging/rolling/parrying, this set up is awfully shitty.

Now I have to shell out another $50 to get a controller so I can actually play the game.

...Or you could simply download this mod specifically made to use custom keyboard layouts. or better yet, grab joy 2 keyboard, especially useful for progging a cheap-o joystick..

Believe me I can relate as I cannot type, just peck on the keyboards....But I can kick ass on guitar so it evens out! x^D

What external utility? What mouse/keyboard do you use? The game works out of the box for all of my buttons of my Logitech G700s...

Oh, I've no doubt that the keyboard setup works magnificently, it's just that if you cannot type, it is indeed a pain in the ass to use!

Last edited:
only things i changed was swapping roll with dodge, inventory to tab and the quick access that i almost never bother using to f1

playin on death march with no problems with controls

I'll preface this by saying it's one of the greatest games of all time.

Now that that's out of the way, the PC keyboard controls are almost unplayable, especially if you're playing on Death March.

Why do we have to hold a stance button to use heavy attacks when the controller assigns it to one button press? What's even more stupid is the fact that the default modify attack button is also the button that activates sprint, so if you want to use a heavy attack you will also be draining much needed stamina and won't be able to cast signs until it regenerates.

Considering harder difficulties REQUIRE dance-like dodging/rolling/parrying, this set up is awfully shitty.

Now I have to shell out another $50 to get a controller so I can actually play the game.

This entire post is made irrelevant by the fact that you can rebind the controls to whatever suits you. Mouse and keyboard works fantastic. I'd never consider using a controller.

Why would you ever map dodge to any mouse button?

You can dodge without lifting your fingers off the directional keys by double tapping them.

---------- Updated at 08:07 PM ----------

. I ended up never using dodge once in the game just because I couldn't find a key that would be practical for me.

You didn't use the directional keys?

Took a day or two to fully adjust to the controls/mechanics of the game, but I found the K&M set up is fine. Especially given the fact you can rebind your keys, what's the problem?

Took a day or two to fully adjust to the controls/mechanics of the game, but I found the K&M set up is fine. Especially given the fact you can rebind your keys, what's the problem?

If it takes you a day or two to adjust to the K&M controls, it's not 'fine'. You know what? The very broken Arkham Knight has double binding and better K&M controls than this game does. I'm not kidding. If they want to do a quality PC port, looks like it's time to outsource. They can focus on the console version, and let a company like Nixxes do a quality PC port.

http://www.nixxes.com/nixxes/

Last edited:

Tuco

Forum veteran
Well, I do happen to think this is a game that plays remarkably better with a controller.
Incidentally, I have absolutely no problems with it. I can afford one, it's 30 bucks, and it's useful for a lot of games.

I don't hate controllers, I hate controller friendly UIs shoved forcefully in genres where they don't fit at all.
If this was a FPS, RTS or a tactical game with a controller friendly control scheme and a subpar support for m&kb I would be mad as hell (I hated what they did with the "tactical mode" in DA:I), but it's a third person action game/RPG. You mostly run, jump, climb and fight, so a controller doesn't feel out of place at all and I play with whatever feels more comfortable to me.

I'm almost exclusively a PC gamer, I've been one since the mid '80s, I DO prefer mouse & keyboard by a wide margin in some kind of games... And yet I'll never entirely understand this morbid, entirely misplaced "loyalty bond" with their keyboard that some PC gamers seem to think should define the platform.

If it takes you a day or two to adjust to the K&M controls, it's not 'fine'. You know what? The very broken Arkham Knight has double binding and better K&M controls than this game does. I'm not kidding. If they want to do a quality PC port, looks like it's time to outsource. They can focus on the console version, and let a company like Nixxes do a quality PC port.

http://www.nixxes.com/nixxes/

I probably should've elaborated further and said it took me a day or two to fully adjust to The Witcher's default control set up as I've been used to playing games such as Skyrim which differ slightly. Adjusting in the sense that 'Q' is used for signs, 'E' for looting etc. This is true for me in all new games, so yeah it seems fine to me.

If your preference is a controller like many here, that's fine too.

If your problem is more that the controls were designed around consoles first then poorly ported over to the PC version, then I can accept that too.

But in all honestly, I'm getting by just fine currently on my second play through with difficulty mods installed. No combat control issues to report.

The only thing I hate is having one key bind for looting containers and also for lighting/extinguishing candles!

Hence I never use dodge as someone else mentioned above for the same reason; I simply can't get used to a key for it that I haven't already used for something else.

Still, it hasn't stoped my getting half way through my third playthrough on DM. It does mean I occasionally get killed because of control difficulties which I find rather annoying.

That is quite a feat in my opinion, going through half the game without dodging...o_O

Dodging is absolutely vital to my fighting style. If you are getting by then good for you, but I would recommend that you try to find a way to use it because it really affects the combat when you know how to use it. I almost never use roll for example because dodge works so well and doesn't drain stamina. But again, if it works for you more power to you mate. Most important thing is having fun with the game :)

I had to spend 15 bucks or so ordering a wireless receiver to use a 360 controller since my wired version (which is plug and play) was lost long ago... but it was well worth it.

It feels way better than the default keyboard bindings, but I didn't spend too much time experimenting with them. Just seems like the kind of game that feels better with a controller to me.

If it takes you a day or two to adjust to the K&M controls, it's not 'fine'.

Doesn't it always take people a little while to get accustomed to controls on new games? Every game sets up their bindings differently - even on consoles. I can't imagine they'd ever come up with a binding scheme that would make everyone happy. The best they can do is allow you to rebind and they do that. Though W3 doesn't have as much modifier support as I'd prefer (since all of my mouse keys are bound to obscure keyboard commands like alt+o).

My back is not what it used to be. It's tedious to sit up straight for hours on end. So, I use and XBox One controller with my PC. Sit back and play relaxedly. Witcher 2 and 3 are the only proper PC RPG I've played that just works very well with a contoller. I don't even know the keyboard controls. Controls are so responsive and smooth, its almost tasty. ...except for horse racing where I sometimes use mouse.

I found Keyboard control was way better than most of the games under hack 'n slash genre. Actually it is more like a preference on yours part, because I on the other hand can not play on controller at all :D I even play FIFA with keyboard control.

I am a arrow key user & I don't found any problem playing with KB + Mouse .....

Same here and the only issue I have is having to reach to press E to consume potions. They screwed up the mapping in that regard, as I have E ("Use") mapped to Numpad0. It should be linked.

I have is having to reach to press E to consume potions. They screwed up the mapping in that regard

No just use Num 2 & 3 for potion slots & you are good to go. Why using E ?

Now I have make some changes & those are really good..Like

I changed Cast sign key from Mouse thumb to Mouse scroll so My mouse thumb key 4 & 5 is now for Modify attack & Roll/Dodge respectively.

I am using Num 0 to Jump / Surface, Num Del to Dive
Num 1 as Interact, Num 2/3 potion slot, Num 4 to 8 for signs & Num 9 to Menu
Right CTRL to use quick item & End to cast sign. Delete & Pg Down for Steel / Silver sword respectively.
Right shift for Sprint / Gallop / Canter & Enter for Quick items menu

That's it all looks good to me & I hope they going to make Num Enter functional in next patch. :)

Last edited:
Everything you need is a good mouse with 7+ buttons and the issue is gone. ;)

And... finally find the perfect assignation of every button with the combat style you prefer. Fact you only can afford after fighting different kind of enemies :p A good challenge for my reflexes and memory.. Ah.. getting older!

I'm unsure why 'dodge' should be an issue at all. I use WASD for move and dodge (double tap), with roll on space & direction key.

Shift for parry, and LMB/RMB for fast/strong attacks. Q & E for Sign and Use/Loot/Examine.

Tab for combat menu, 1-2 sword choice, 3-7 signs. Middle mouse use bomb/item.

R, f ~ use potions food. ` (next to 1) for witcher senses.

Capslock for sprint/gallop/canter.

All the important stuff falls under my hand ready for use, and those for infrequent use are still available within the group.

Top Bottom