Camera Stutter Master Thread - Share your info

+
PC VERSION 1.06 background stuttering when panning camera around slowly AND fast , throughout the whole game, in every situation. Walking or running or on your horse : stutter when panning around.
Camera Stutter is noticed from v1.05 and still in v1.06 no framedrops but camerastuttering happens even with a stable solid framerate.
Stutter is noticeable on every graphical settings and on every resolution from 1024x768 to 4K; low -> ultra settings. Maximum frames per second from unlimited -> 30 or 60 , displaymode FULLSCREEN it all doesn't matter all got the background stutter . Restarting the game after changing the settings; still background stutter.
Using a Xbox360 game pad and mouse , there is no difference still background stutter. Hardware cursor ON in the graphics settings slightly maybe 10% reduces the stutter nothing more. Nvidia driver settings pre-rendered frames to 1 doesn't help. Triple buffering ON or OFF still background stuttering.
Control settings right stick sensitivity camera and aiming from 0.5 to 1.5 don't remove the stutter.

Standing still inside a village or town city not walking just panning the camera around in 360 degrees stutter starts. Emersion breaking , hundreds people complain on STEAM, GOG and YouTube forums are filled with same problem.

I5 4690K@4.5 8GB GTX970 Sli 144hz monitor defaulted to 72hz

Witcher 2 had the same problem but was eventually patched and the stutter was gone now do the same for TW3. Time is running out,Enthusiasm is failing.

PC VERSION 1.06 background stuttering when panning camera around slowly AND fast , throughout the whole game, in every situation. Walking or running or on your horse : stutter when panning around.
Camera Stutter is noticed from v1.05 and still in v1.06 no framedrops but camerastuttering happens even with a stable solid framerate.
Stutter is noticeable on every graphical settings and on every resolution from 1024x768 to 4K; low -> ultra settings. Maximum frames per second from unlimited -> 30 or 60 , displaymode FULLSCREEN it all doesn't matter all got the background stutter . Restarting the game after changing the settings; still background stutter.
Using a Xbox360 game pad and mouse , there is no difference still background stutter. Hardware cursor ON in the graphics settings slightly maybe 10% reduces the stutter nothing more. Nvidia driver settings pre-rendered frames to 1 doesn't help. Triple buffering ON or OFF still background stuttering.
Control settings right stick sensitivity camera and aiming from 0.5 to 1.5 don't remove the stutter.

Standing still inside a village or town city not walking just panning the camera around in 360 degrees stutter starts. Emersion breaking , hundreds people complain on STEAM, GOG and YouTube forums are filled with same problem.

I5 4690K@4.5 8GB GTX970 Sli 144hz monitor defaulted to 72hz

Witcher 2 had the same problem but was eventually patched and the stutter was gone now do the same for TW3. Time is running out,Enthusiasm is failing.

I don't have this problem since the 1.05 patch. Completely smooth. Maybe your stutter is related to SLI or your rig just doesn't keep up with 72fps,

i7-3770K
GTX980
16GB RAM
Windows 8.1
Witcher 3 on SSD
1080p@60fps all maxed out except tha hairworks off.

Im a proffesional PC builder and certified IT got my own home company for building (game)pc's so its quite a insult when someone says its my hardware .. but because you dont me i forgive ya ;) .. i know how to handle hardware for the last 17 / 18 years.. and it's not my gamepc hardware.. This is the only game with microstutter. I play alot of games and i mean alot ... i became extremely sensitive over the years when it comes to performance of my hardware an very aware of its possibilities capabilities and performance limits. but also i became extremely sensitive to microstutter and fps drops.
Now the good news my rig handles TW3 very very well ..almost perfect to say .. non stop 72 fps in all situations and 0 drops like i posted.

Its a camera stutter when panning around .. has really nothing to do with the hardware some use. its a game bug because i didnt have it before now i do after the patch. strange isnt it ?

I had the same issue. Nothing I did worked. Turned off crossfire and it is smooth now. Try turning off sli Trooper. Way smoother at 45 fps with xfire off than it is at 75 fps with xfire on. The amd hotfix drivers are crap.

I noticed after I updated Windows for some reason the game reverted back to full screen borderless window and it was causing camera stutter, when I switched back to full screen it was silky smooth again.

If I move Geralt using only "W-A-S-D" and just letting the camera adjust itself, it's very smooth and beautiful. But if I move him pressing only the "W" key and use the mouse to point him at the direction I want him to go, stutter-city. It's horrible during horse races, when you just hold "W" and shift key, and use the mouse to steer Roach. Almost impossible to manipulate the camera with precision and get the best angles while running around, without getting these stutters every now and then, completely vexing for people who immensely enjoy exploration, admiring every nook and cranny of the world while wandering around aimlessly.

Agreed, this is not fixed. GTX 980TI, 1080p60, solid 60fps. Stutters when panning camera around.
Have the patch 1.06

[EDIT] I tried xbox controller and the camera doesn't stutter at all. Much better that way. Also, when I just walk and the camera adjusts itself, no stutter.
tried turning HW mouse on/off, didn't help, so I will stick with controller for now.

Last edited:
Agreed, this is not fixed. GTX 980TI, 1080p60, solid 60fps. Stutters when panning camera around.
Have the patch 1.06

[EDIT] I tried xbox controller and the camera doesn't stutter at all. Much better that way. Also, when I just walk and the camera adjusts itself, no stutter.
tried turning HW mouse on/off, didn't help, so I will stick with controller for now.
Hold up, this one I haven't tried. I don't have a controller. I wonder if this works for everyone. If anyone else can kindly confirm that using a controller removes camera micro-stutter for them, would be much appreciated.

In my experience the stutter I notice seems to be related to the mouse I use. When using a cheaper mouse (I've tried two different cheaper models), I have a large amount of stutter. When using a more expensive mouse with dark field, I still experience a very small amount of stutter, almost unnoticeable, but it is so small that it does not bother me and I stop noticing it after a while.

In my experience the stutter I notice seems to be related to the mouse I use. When using a cheaper mouse (I've tried two different cheaper models), I have a large amount of stutter. When using a more expensive mouse with dark field, I still experience a very small amount of stutter, almost unnoticeable, but it is so small that it does not bother me and I stop noticing it after a while.
I have ttesports commander gaming combo. I'm not too familiar with kb&mouse brands but it wasn't exactly cheap. What brand are you using? You reckon the stutter problem is associated with the mouse?

I have an old Logitech S520 mouse and keyboard set. With that mouse, it's like you said. As long as I keep the camera angle fixed, and just move Geralt with WASD, the background panes very smoothly, no stutter at all. If I move the mouse, the whole background shakes earthquake style. The same happens with a Microsoft mouse, don't have the model now.

With a Logitech Anywhere MX the stutter is almost unnoticeable. Naturally I suspected it's the dark field sensor which makes the difference.

Ty for the info. Just made a quick search on the price, quite hefty sure, but I'd be willing to invest on one if it makes the stutter go away completely, problem is I really can't be sure. Also someone mentioned that using a controller is what fixed it for them. But what if these are isolated incidents and does not work for everyone. If the problem is rooted in the game itself and not hardware, then I'm f*****... I''m quickly running out of options to try. (Sigh) Why the f*** did I buy this game, my friend downloaded it for free somewhere and offered me a copy. But noooo.... I was like"I wanna do it right bro" and "genuine is always better in the long run".. Man, f*** my quixotic nonsense s***.

Horse camera stuttering still hasn't been fixed with 1.07! Is CDPR serious about this?

Why haven't they noticed such a severe animation loop bug already??

Horse camera stuttering still hasn't been fixed with 1.07! Is CDPR serious about this?

Why haven't they noticed such a severe animation loop bug already??

I give up....no words....

My support ticket:

First of all are at least 1000000 times I answer you that with gog version changes to ini have no effect!!!!!Are you kidding me?Have you ever seen more videos on youtube or threads on YOUR forum

You also do not answer my second question!!!!!THE TERRIBLE ANIMATION STUTTER DURING THE HORSE WALKING WILL BE SOLVED OR NOT

Their answer:

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback, although I cannot promise you that the issue will be fixed, we're currently investigating it.

Regards,

Kuba Woźniakowski

I give up....no words....

My support ticket:

First of all are at least 1000000 times I answer you that with gog version changes to ini have no effect!!!!!Are you kidding me?Have you ever seen more videos on youtube or threads on YOUR forum

You also do not answer my second question!!!!!THE TERRIBLE ANIMATION STUTTER DURING THE HORSE WALKING WILL BE SOLVED OR NOT

Their answer:

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback, although I cannot promise you that the issue will be fixed, we're currently investigating it.

Regards,

Kuba Woźniakowski

Man that's poor! This game is a masterpiece, regardless of the hundreds of bugs and issues. That's sure. But why do they 'fix' unimportant things or add silly options like the new control system when there are still severe bugs to be adressed like the horse animation loop bug, flat see bug, no wind noises bug, Skellige music trigger bug, Novigrad/Velen no music after traveling to Skellige bug, blood disappearing too fast, no blood puddles on animals, no blood when killing monsters under water, no blood splatter on humans, finishing move sound bug when Gerald stabs enemies into their torso, oils still appear at the bottom of the inventory list....there are tons of issues to be solved and they seriously waste their time with an alternate movement system which additionally fucks up the slow walk.

If it weren't for the superb quest design, believable world and characters as well as the astonishing visuals and atmosphere, The Witcher 3 would have been destroyed by the media and community for being a messed up pile of bug with stupid design choices like the initial inventory system, small font size/ hud design etc.

People let all this pass because the game is still fun to play despite its devastating issues. Nevertheless, things like the horse stuttering severely affect my experience with the game. It destroys immersion and scenery. How the HELL could this pass quality testing in the first place?!

I haven't looked at this thread yet as I never had any kind of problem with stuttering.

However, after reading the OP description of it, and the linked Youtubes of the examples, I have to think this is an issue with controllers only, right? The analog buttons themselves having some kind of an effect on smoothness?

The reason I say this is (as I've said) I've never seen that stutter effect shown when panning the camera in my game and I have over 500 hours played thus far. And I do an *exorbitant* amount of panning with the mouse. The "feeling" of the camera control via mouse is one of the key functions of the game's interface that I am constantly aware of and very often looking for issues with, whenever I have any kind of graphical anomaly (of which there are quite a few in this huge game) on the screen. But I have never noticed any kind of consistent issue while panning.

Again, I have just read the OP and viewed the videos posted for PC examples. Please forgive me if this conclusion has already been reached, and if other mouse users have reported this problem on PC, then let this post serve as additional troubleshooting info from a PC user who does not suffer from this issue.

Last edited:
I haven't looked at this thread yet as I never had any kind of problem with stuttering.

However, after reading the OP description of it, and the linked Youtubes of the examples, I have to think this is an issue with controllers only, right? The analog buttons themselves having some kind of an effect on smoothness?

The reason I say this is (as I've said) I've never seen that stutter effect shown when panning the camera in my game and I have over 500 hours played thus far. And I do an *exorbitant* amount of panning with the mouse. The "feeling" of the camera control via mouse is one of the key functions of the game's interface that I am constantly aware of and very often looking for issues with, whenever I have any kind of graphical anomaly (of which there are quite a few in this huge game) on the screen. But I have never noticed any kind of consistent issue while panning.

Again, I have just read the OP and viewed the videos posted for PC examples. Please forgive me if this conclusion has already been reached, and if other mouse users have reported this problem on PC, then let this post serve as additional troubleshooting info from a PC user who does not suffer from this issue.

How often do I have to repeat this?
The horse stuttering isn't really a performance related issue but rather an animation bug. It has nothing to do with conventional frame loss.

In order to understand what I mean, mount your horse, move your left analog stick forward completely until Roach moves forward but not runs (camera must still be zoomed in) and then tilt the camera slightly to the left or right. Now move in circles with Roach whilst keeping the camera focused on the side. At this state, you will experience a severe stuttering which actually isn't a "real stuttering" as mentioned above.

If you focus on the background movement like the trees, birds or water, you'll notice that everything except Gerald and Roach seems to run absolutely smooth. Only you and your horse are affected by the stutter, which in fact is nothing else than a faulty animation loop.

However, as soon as you press X resp. A and start to gallop, the horse animation starts to play correctly and the "stuttering" disappears all of a sudden. To sum it up: Animation issues only appear when the camera is zoomed in on Roach. As soon as the camera zooms out and you start to move faster, the "hick-ups" disappear.

Try for yourself as I explained above and you will see what I mean. If not, then you must be either blind or plain ignorant. I am speaking of the PS4/X Box One version though. Can't tell anything about the PC version!

As of 1.08, the issue is still present! CD Projekt, we start loosing our patience here after 8 patches! This is a serious game breaker and you haven't even confirmed its existence. I will think twice before buying another CDPR game, that's sure!

Latest non-beta Nvidia driver and with latest game patch 1.08.

I experience horse stutter when horse is walking

And sometimes lag/delay in cutscenes - first time cutscene with the Wild Hunt in the cave with the White Frost there is especially severe.

4690K@ 4,5 Ghz
16Gb ram, 2400Mhz
Gforce GTX 670
Samsung 840 EVO 250 Gb

Last edited:
Top Bottom