Triss Merigold (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Location is her house where is rose of rememberence and it was only in a trailer.

The question is was material cut or was that material made only for the trailer? Either way the material is there which if worked in to the game properly, would save the need for creating more. Unfortunately to have an embrace in her house in Novigrad would require the plot to be re-worked, i.e. meet her there rather than in the Putrid Grove. That said, the animations are in so change the assets and have it as Geralt meeting Triss in Kovir ;)

Last edited:
You can watch this over several sittings:

[video=youtube;ZHwa-7LBfV4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHwa-7LBfV4[/video]

It's the entire game's cut scenes and essential combat. I'd also recommend getting the first game. You should be able to pick it up cheap these days on GOG. Just bear in mind that Triss has evolved considerably since this game.

Bring back so many memories.

Don't say things like that I'm going to cry :wallbash:

I am almost crying.. :/ Let's hope, that they added part with rose.. So much symbolic with witcher 2, so brilliant story..and nothing from it.. Wish they add it...so much!

---------- Updated at 10:14 PM ----------

I honestly think she would live in the sewers if it meant being with Geralt. She is very low maintenance and really don't seem to care as long as he's there.

Couldn't say it better.. That's exactly one of the reasons, why I am so much in love with her.. She doesn't care where or "what" she is, as long, as she is with Geralt.. That is my definition of "true love"... And I must say - I am very happy man, because in real life, I have GF with exactly same attitude for more than 6 years now (so..it seems, that in game, I prefer same personalities as GF like in Real life..interesting :D ).. :)

Less bitter. I know it's simplistic to put it in that way. But if you want to appeal to people that didn't know the character (if not for brief flashs) you can't go down the Icy route at the first meeting. And then the game encourages you to meet Triss first (Her quest is level 10) and to go to Skellige after (level 16 quest). So it's a loooong way after you can meet Yennefer again, and in this time(if you have no Yen knowledge) you remember only her bitchiness, while for Triss you have 2 games of solid background. I agree that it's hard to introduce such an important character in the last game though.
I fully agree. I'm not so happy about this "woman seperation" (Triss ->Velen/Novigrad, first third, Yen -> Skellige, second third) neither. I don't know why they made it that way, not giving the player enough information about Yennefer at the beginning (and people who don't know her no real motivation to choose her above Triss). It also avoids their expected conflict for a long time of the game while it ultimately stays unresolved (or better: becomes magically resolved but without any consequence) even after they met (just before the battle of Kaer Morhen). It's like CDPR wanted to avoid that conflict on purpose for whatever reason which obviously caused some problems, like Yennefer appearing too bitter first without enough context, less complexity for the different characters and their relationships and finally no chance for Triss to overcome her remorse and reach a new stage in her developement. We had a long discussion on the Yennefer thread recently talking about just that. Of course you cannot change that anymore. It would require the whole game to be rewritten.

But I do agree that Yen could use some more context and perhaps some more dialogue lines in Vizima, especially for people who don't know her from the books.

Agree on the remorse. All the romance is doomed by this sense of guilt, you can feel it in almost every dialogue and facial expression of Triss and this is something that didn't get the proper closure, it's left suspended. That's one of the most important things I hope will be fixed..
Well, I'm not sure if they can fix that without additional scenes and some real work to put into, at least if they want to make it properly. As much as I would see that coming to life I doubt it will ever happen to any bigger extend, at least not so soon. But well, hope dies last. ;)

Last edited:
So I've been away from this forum the last two weeks, reading the books and replaying the game with a new GPU So can someone keep me up to speed on what's going on? Apparently something interesting happened...

FOREVER TRİSS

Attachments

• witcher3 2015-07-06 23-44-45-66.jpg
    witcher3 2015-07-06 23-44-45-66.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 123
I fully agree. I'm not so happy about this "woman seperation" (Triss ->Velen/Novigrad, first third, Yen -> Skellige, second third) neither. I don't know why they made it that way, not giving the player enough information about Yennefer at the beginning (and people who don't know her no real motivation to choose her above Triss). It also avoids their expected conflict for a long time of the game while it ultimately stays unresolved (or better: becomes magically resolved but without any consequence) even after they met (just before the battle of Kaer Morhen). It's like CDPR wanted to avoid that conflict on purpose for whatever reason which obviously caused some problems, like Yennefer appearing too bitter first without enough context, less complexity for the different characters and their relationships and finally no chance for Triss to overcome her remorse and reach a new stage in her developement. We had a long discussion on the Yennefer thread recently talking about just that. Of course you cannot change that anymore. It would require the whole game to be rewritten.

But I do agree that Yen could use some more context and perhaps some more dialogue lines in Vizima, especially for people who don't know her from the books.

Well, I'm not sure if they can fix that without additional scenes and some real work to put into, at least if they want to make it properly. As much as I would see that coming to life I doubt it will ever happen to any bigger extend, at least not so soon. But well, hope dies last. ;)

As I've said before, they seem to have attempted to walk a tight rope between those who've read the books and those who've only played the games and ended up disappointing both camps. The Yen romance bias in the game is a symptom of this. It's my only real complaint about the game and the one thing I'd like them to fix. The story needs to introduce both female characters much better than it does now because there's an over reliance on the codex which isn't complete anyway and certainly doesn't convey personality types.

fully agree. I'm not so happy about this "woman seperation" (Triss ->Velen/Novigrad, first third, Yen -> Skellige, second third) neither. I don't know why they made it that way, not giving the player enough information about Yennefer at the beginning

Well, I'm not sure if they can fix that without additional scenes and some real work to put into, at least if they want to make it properly. As much as I would see that coming to life I doubt it will ever happen to any bigger extend, at least not so soon. But well, hope dies last.
I absolutely AGREE

As I've said before, they seem to have attempted to walk a tight rope between those who've read the books and those who've only played the games and ended up disappointing both camps. The Yen romance bias in the game is a symptom of this. It's my only real complaint about the game and the one thing I'd like them to fix. The story needs to introduce both female characters much better than it does now because there's an over reliance on the codex which isn't complete anyway and certainly doesn't convey personality types.

There are actually three different groups, not only two

1) Book readers + players of TW1/2
2) players of TW1/2 (at least TW2)
3) complete newcomers (who know neither the books nor the previous games)

I just don't see why they avoided the expected conflict between Triss and Yen. Such a character interaction right at the beginning (or at least before you have to decide for one of them) would have given all three groups of players the needed context for such a decision. It would have given both characters (Triss and Yen) more depth and complexity. But there would have been other possibilities as well. For example a flashback scene for the time before TW1 where Geralt and Yen interacted with the Wild Hunt for the first time (which would have given both Yennefer and the Hunt more context) in order to present another side of Yennefer to those who don't know her yet while giving Triss the chance to talk to Geralt about their time and why she didn't tell him about Yennefer during his memory loss, giving their relationship proper context and preparing her for katharsis. Maybe CDPR wasn't courageous enough for that, I don't know. Maybe it was too difficult to implement and they cut the game to more "simplistic" relationship patterns. Whatever the reasoning was, in the end it led to everybody being somehow dissapointed with the women in TW3, just like you said, and that's kind of sad if you ask me...

So I've been away from this forum the last two weeks, reading the books and replaying the game with a new GPU So can someone keep me up to speed on what's going on? Apparently something interesting happened...

The Devs replied to our concerns oer the inconsistency of the Triss romance choice and have said that they will make tweaks and "small" additions to fix this and have taken note of our suggestions to see what was viable. --------- In short TeamTriss and others who agreed with us were able to get the Devs to make improvements --- We just don't know to what extent yet or exactly what will change.

They did say however that having read our thoughts and complaints that they realised it was an issue that went against their policy of "Choices matter" so they will definitely do something about it.

---------- Updated at 10:45 PM ----------

I just don't see why they avoided the expected conflict between Triss and Yen. Such a character interaction right at the beginning (or at least before you have to decide for one of them) would have given all three groups of players the needed context for such a decision. It would have given both characters (Triss and Yen) more depth and complexity. But there would have been other possibilities as well. For example a flashback scene for the time before TW1 where Geralt and Yen interacted with the Wild Hunt for the first time (which would have given both Yennefer and the Hunt more context) in order to present another side of Yennefer to those who don't know her yet while giving Triss the chance to talk to Geralt about their time and why she didn't tell him about Yennefer during his memory loss, giving their relationship proper context and preparing her for katharsis. Maybe CDPR wasn't courageous enough for that, I don't know. Maybe it was too difficult to implement and they cut the game to more "simplistic" relationship patterns. Whatever the reasoning was, in the end it led to everybody being somehow dissapointed with the women in TW3, just like you said, and that's kind of sad if you ask me...

Yeah Im in group 2 -- but since this game came out I have picked up somethings about the books and the characters histories so I am aware of a few basic things.

I lump complete new comers to the series in with book readers because what I mean to say is the two camps consisting of those with an eight year emotional attachment to Triss due to romancing her twice before and those without that emotional attachment because they're either avid readers of the book series or new to the series entirely. Triss made it in to the game because of those of us with that emotional attachment but due to CDPR being fans of the books, the writing leaned towards Yennefer and therefore invalidated the choice of those who romanced Triss. The writing should have been carefully neutral and balanced so as not to favour either character but they failed in this so badly that the game ended up hugely biased towards Yen.

I lump complete new comers to the series in with book readers because what I mean to say is the two camps consisting of those with an eight year emotional attachment to Triss due to romancing her twice before and those without that emotional attachment because they're either avid readers of the book series or new to the series entirely. Triss made it in to the game because of those of us with that emotional attachment but due to CDPR being fans of the books, the writing leaned towards Yennefer and therefore invalidated the choice of those who romanced Triss. The writing should have been carefully neutral and balanced so as not to favour either character but they failed in this so badly that the game ended up hugely biased towards Yen.

Yep they kept treating this game as a 'standalone' game (as they kept saying), so we have a game that almost ignores any attachment to characters of the previous games, and instead takes a turn of being biased towards characters that were more relevant to the books. 8 years of getting attached to Triss only to lead to biased writing and the intention of not making her a valid romance choice (romance option added later), is going to make fans of her react pretty negative (which is why we are here). The focus in the writing should of been about making a choice that was balanced, didn't feel out of place and actually felt meaningful, and in terms of Triss is just didn't happen like that (now we wait for the fixes/changes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom