Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is not the case and clearly evidenced by the fact that Ciri has little interaction with Triss as well.

The reason the focus is on Geralt and Ciri is fairly simple. Ciri is a, if not THE focal point of the game, yet she is a character that newcomers do not know at all. Our narrative is thus focused on a character that many players had no emotional investment in prior to the game. Through the many interactions between Ciri and Geralt, we showed that Geralt cares deeply about Ciri which translates to the player understanding why Geralt is doing what he is doing and more easily relating to those feelings.

The same, incidentally, goes for Yennefer. The reason she is present in Kaer Morhen in the dream sequence at the beginning, is primarily because we need to establish that she is important to Geralt and thus why the player should care about finding her.

It is debatable if we managed it at all points throughout the game, but I did want to correct the presumption that we reduced Ciri-Yennefer interactions because of Triss or Triss fans.

Cheers.

Thank you for the explanation! :)

But I keep saying we should have seen a more interaction between Yennefer and Ciri... For non book readers it's hard to see the mother-daughter relationship between them, and as you said, Ciri and Yen are new characters which needed to be introduced more deeply...

@GingerEffect, thank you.

To me, It seems that introducing the Yen's importance in Geralt's life for newcomers has failed at all (with a very few exceptions) and the next time the player see Yen she appears cold, distance and surrounding by Nilgaardian.... While new players of Wticher saga has mostly learnt about Triss in the media (Playboy included) and they have a good impression of her, Yen has an introduction that IMO shee doesn't deserve at all.

I konow the task of bring YEn and Ciri was a very hard puzzle for all of you CDPR, but the result is what it is . That, of course, doesn't mean the game is bad or wrongly made. Learning for the future will be always good for CP77. I'm playing my third playthrought, and I enjoy at every time. That's the truth.

To me, It seems that introducing the Yen's importance in Geralt's life for newcomers has failed at all (with a very few exceptions) and the next time the player see Yen she appears cold, distance and surrounding by Nilgaardian.... While new players of Wticher saga has mostly learnt about Triss in the media (Playboy included) and they have a good impression of her, Yen has an introduction that IMO shee doesn't deserve at all.
My opinion...........THIS.......

@GingerEffect, thank you.

I konow the task of bring YEn and Ciri was a very hard puzzle for all of you CDPR, but the result is what it is . That, of course, doesn't mean the game is bad or wrongly made. Learning for the future will be always good for CP77. I'm playing my third playthrought, and I enjoy at every time. That's the truth.

+10000 I think the same. During my playthrough, I felt there's something missing in the game concerning Yennefer.

This is not the case and clearly evidenced by the fact that Ciri has little interaction with Triss as well.

The reason the focus is on Geralt and Ciri is fairly simple. Ciri is a, if not THE focal point of the game, yet she is a character that newcomers do not know at all. Our narrative is thus focused on a character that many players had no emotional investment in prior to the game. Through the many interactions between Ciri and Geralt, we showed that Geralt cares deeply about Ciri which translates to the player understanding why Geralt is doing what he is doing and more easily relating to those feelings.

The same, incidentally, goes for Yennefer. The reason she is present in Kaer Morhen in the dream sequence at the beginning, is primarily because we need to establish that she is important to Geralt and thus why the player should care about finding her.

It is debatable if we managed it at all points throughout the game, but I did want to correct the presumption that we reduced Ciri-Yennefer interactions because of Triss or Triss fans.

Cheers.

Thanks for response. But we clearly understand about Geralt-Ciri and Geralt-Yennefer relations in the game.
Problem is that for many newcomers it was a real surprise that Ciri someday called Yen as "mother" and sorceress called her "daugther".
They (newcomers) and we didn't feel it in the game. Ciri and Geralt are talking about that only in the dialouges and mostly in the past tense.
We can see how Yennefer cares about Ciri but without a feedback from Ciri.
So it's hard to understand what it was...Ciri doesn't care about Yennefer (like she did in the past) anymore or it's just a shortcoming.

Anyway, thnx again.

Cheers.
Hm, thanks for clearing that up but that doesn't really answer the question why the mother-daughter relationship between Ciri and Yen is kind of underdeveloped in Witcher 3...

And while we're at it, any word on why you avoided the expected conflict between Triss and Yen, making vast points of your own game(!) lore pretty much irrelevant? What was the reasoning behind that?

Thanks for response. But we clearly understand about Geralt-Ciri and Geralt-Yennefer relations in the game.
Problem is that for many newcomers it was a real surprise that Ciri someday called Yen as "mother" and sorceress called her "daugther".
They (newcomers) and we didn't feel it in the game. Ciri and Geralt are talking about that only in the dialouges and mostly in the past tense.
We can see how Yennefer cares about Ciri but without a feedback from Ciri.
So it's hard to understand what it was...Ciri doesn't care about Yennefer (like she did in the past) anymore or it's just a shortcoming.

Anyway, thnx again.

I only responded to allegations that we introduced less Ciri-Yennefer content because of Triss favoritism. My comment was not intended as an explanation for anything else.

Regarding Yennefer-Ciri content and the criticism voiced here, I do not necessarily share that opinion. For me, she never came off as cold. Determined, yes. Knows what she wants. Yes. Geralts reactions to her and her reactions to him seemed to display a weird, but kind of charming dynamic (to me), especially when we get to Skellige.

But I do not want to dismiss or belittle those criticisms even if I do not share them. The thread and the concerns raised have been forwarded just as other community concerns that have generated a lot of activity.

Edit:
Hm, thanks for clearing that up but that doesn't really answer the question why the mother-daughter relationship between Ciri and Yen is kind of underdeveloped in Witcher 3...

And while we're at it, any word on why you avoided the expected conflict between Triss and Yen, making vast points of your own game(!) lore pretty much irrelevant? What was the reasoning behind that?

As I was not part of the creation of most of the Yennefer content, I cannot answer as to reasons why things were done in a specific way. Marcin Blacha and the Quest Designers for the Yennefer focused Quests would be the ones who can say more about this.

Last edited:

I only responded to allegations that we introduced less Ciri-Yennefer content because of Triss favoritism. My comment was not intended as an explanation for anything else.

Regarding Yennefer-Ciri content and the criticism voiced here, I do not necessarily share that opinion. For me, she never came off as cold. Determined, yes. Knows what she wants. Yes. Geralts reactions to her and her reactions to him seemed to display a weird, but kind of charming dynamic (to me), especially when we get to Skellige.

But I do not want to dismiss or belittle those criticisms even if I do not share them. The thred and the concerns raised have been forwarded just as other community concerns that have generated a lot of activity.

Thanks a lot for explanation. If I may, so you guys have discussion on the matter raised in the forums? Can you share what are the subject of the matters discussed?

But I do not want to dismiss or belittle those criticisms even if I do not share them. The thred and the concerns raised have been forwarded just as other community concerns that have generated a lot of activity.

Yes, to you an to me and to those who knows Yen previusly from books ;)

Outthere, people who never heard about this black and distant and intruder sorceress have Triss as the female Icon of The Witcher Saga.... How to fight agaisnt this perception after almost 8 years?

It's not the game, it's not really the relation between characters. It's the failed perception of the devoted lover and beloved mother Yen is for newcomer. She uses horrible ways to reach her goals (Evil Sorceress!!!). Not asking to change that. It's impossible. The harm has done (or the good, it depend :)) It's not a fair display of the two both women. That's imposssible.

As I was not part of the creation of most of the Yennefer content, I cannot answer as to reasons why things were done in a specific way. Marcin Blacha and the Quest Designers for the Yennefer focused Quests would be the ones who can say more about this.
Thanks for the information. It would be great if Marcin said something about that here. I'm really curious.

@all
Please don't flood Marcin with messages now. If he wants to say sth about that he should do so voluntarily, without us stalking him. Just saying. ;)

Thanks a lot for explanation. If I may, so you guys have discussion on the matter raised in the forums? Can you share what are the subject of the matters discussed?

Points that are raised by the community are discussed between designers and leads, most often. If we agree that something needs to change, we approach production and it is discussed in more detail and with all people who are affected involved. If overall we agree something needs to be changed, we look at how we can make adjustments and what would be required to really fix any given issue.

At that point it is pretty much out of designers hands. We may get the go ahead to do the changes or we may not. This can have various reasons. None of these include us being too lazy to do it ;) .

For obvious reasons I cannot discuss specifics. Hope this gives a bit more of an idea of how we process your feedback here.

But I do not want to dismiss or belittle those criticisms even if I do not share them. The thread and the concerns raised have been forwarded just as other community concerns that have generated a lot of activity.

Edit:

Thnx, we'll try to ask "yencontentcreators" then. It's pretty rare to find the mutual contact nowadays but your team is always ready for it. No words how great it is.

Points that are raised by the community are discussed between designers and leads, most often. If we agree that something needs to change, we approach production and it is discussed in more detail and with all people who are affected involved. If overall we agree something needs to be changed, we look at how we can make adjustments and what would be required to really fix any given issue.

At that point it is pretty much out of designers hands. We may get the go ahead to do the changes or we may not. This can have various reasons. None of these include us being too lazy to do it ;) .

For obvious reasons I cannot discuss specifics. Hope this gives a bit more of an idea of how we process your feedback here.

Thank you @GingerEffect! It's awesome that you guys are so friendly, proactive and humble in listening to player feedback, we really appreciate it :)

Last edited:

Thank you very much extensive to all CDPR team.

WeI'm aware how much concerned you are about our little and big disappoinments, and how you take your time to improve your little babies (games). Thank you for not be angry because our claims, sometimes bitters, sometimes unfairs.

Just, thank you

Good to see CDPR hanging around here. Hope you did noticed about fan's disappointment, and really do hope you'll do something about it

Do drop by this thread more often. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm seriously impressed by CDPR, I've never known a developer to be this open and friendly towards its fans, it's a complete breath of fresh air. Keep up the good work guys! I'm off to write my blog on this wonderful game, adios!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom