Is 1.07's "alternative movement style" detailed anywhere? What is it exactly?

+
Is 1.07's "alternative movement style" detailed anywhere? What is it exactly?

So I haven't played the game in over a month because of the controls and movement, no toggle walk for controllers, ect. So I was just wondering what this new patch option really is. I'm cautiously optimistic about it. Thanks CD for the constant attempt to better the game for everyone.

I think it's just the same move-set, minus the inertia. So when Geralt suddenly halts after running, there's not going to be the forward momentum that forces him to take a few steps before completely stopping. That's my guess.

It's just something the keyboard has (CTRL) that I'd like to see on controllers is all, kingjosh. The movement can be really annoying in close quarters and in cities and such for a bunch of people. I love the spring, though; that feels great. Is walk toggle or an alternate default walk movement option needed? Of course not, but it's just a simple request that would make gameplay a lot more fun and intuitive for an RPG.

I think it's just the same move-set, minus the inertia. So when Geralt suddenly halts after running, there's not going to be the forward momentum that forces him to take a few steps before completely stopping. That's my guess.

That would be cool. I don't have much of a problem with the current controls and have gotten used to them, but there are still some instances especially trying to accurately go up stairs when approaching from the side that takes a bunch of tries because of the inertia that Geralt generates, and in some other instances too where it can create a little bit of an annoyance

Do controllers need a toggle walk, is it not easy to just move the stick slightly forward?

It is easy. Some times just a bit annoying. Some players just like to walk more :D i think its what you prefer. Games like gta and arkham series you push the stick forward and the guy just walks. hold x and he jogs,tap x and guy runs. i would love if the witcher used the same system.

I also hope it is a toggle walk on/off option for the analog stick, I've never had a problem with the inertia thing, mostly because I already walk everywhere. but pressing the joystick lightly for 200 hours is weirdly more tiring, and you're always a nudge away from running off a cliff, getting stuck or stumbling around. changing the movement response to behave like gta or rdr is the way to go imo

I pray to the gods (or CDProjekt) to implement a toggle walk on/off option. In most foruns that i participate, the absence of such option is the main complaint. It is frustrating, annoying, irritating when instead of walking you get to run.

Last edited:
With regards to the run, not only would it be nice for you guys on consoles to have a toggle for walk/run....even on PC I wish we had the option to change the default. By default he runs, and every time you load the game he starts running even though when I saved I had already toggled to walk. I'd like to change the default to walk as personally I feel walk makes more sense, people don't spend all day running, you run when needed, the rest of the time you walk, and for longer distances you ride.

Don't get me wrong I understand why they would have chosen run as the default because often in RPG games people complain about how long it takes to get around, so they default it to run. Not everyone is in such a hurry though, I like taking my time in RPG games because whats the point to rushing, I don't believe there are any points for winning in the quickest time. I want to take in the world around me and not just go rushing through it.

I just hope for PC they set walk as the default speed when you load a game, and hitting CTRL then makes you jog, instead of vice versa, as it is now.

Very annoying.

edit: Hey, me and that guy ^^ agree :)

Movement in general Geralts but especially the horse's could use quite a bit of tweaking....

there are many other games of this genre where character movement relative to their surroundings is just a lot easier and a lot smoother.... Witcher 3 is jerky, unresponsive at times, and often you end up not where you were trying to go ESPECIALLY WITH THE HORSE

I was actually hoping it would be a new style of sword play or something like that. They never really clarified. I feel like Geralts attack/move set is pretty bland. Would be cool to see him whip out a drunken sword master technique or something along those lines. If it is just the momentum thing then I guess that's OK. I don't have a problem with how he moves though.

It would also be great, if, when he can't get out of water (lake, sea or other) he didn't turn around and swim off in the other direction!
And please do something about the "skateboarding" when he comes across a slope he doesn't like I was stuck in a halfpipe at one point the other night
just outside a one of the broken castle/tower thingies. You can be quite close to getting up a slope with just a bit more fiddling and then, whoosh, off he goes
skateboarding for miles (well, yards - just feels like miles).
And yes, his swordplay can see him swording himself off a cliff if you're not careful :)

What i hate about the horse is that when you accidentally (it happens to me a lot) pull the movement stick a little bit backwards the horse just stops. :/

I think is a new game control scheme or the option to move Geralt around like RDR or GTA5 games e.g LS walk, hold A/X jog, repeatedly tapping A/X to sprint.
I would like both and can't wait to see what kind of progress this new patch might bring. Fingers crossed :)

lol, I've gone all out Tony Hawk skateboarding down massive mountains before where I should have died within a second of going off the edge...

They might as well have an achievement for mountain surfing distance, haha

The only issue I have with the movement is not being able to haul myself out of waist deep water in a few areas and the obscene fall damage.

I think Geralt looks dumb when I spam roll up a hill, or when I'm on my horse and it's ass goes way up into the air when riding down hill. Please fix lol...

I hope that the new alternative style is a legitimate change in responsiveness and movement both Geralt and Roach, more finetuned and easier to use.

I hope it's not just a few minor tweaks for Mouse and Keyboard users to make their keyboard usage a little easier, I mean know they've been complaining about it and rightfully so, I'm just saying movement in general is messed up and needs to be fixed as a whole.
And if a lot of us using gamepads on consoles or PC's are complaining about the movement, I can imagine the Keyboard players have been having an even rougher time

But yea the 2 aspects of the game that need a definite overhaul and different approach is movement, and sword fighting.. And this is something only CD Projekt Red can do on their end with further patches, we will be unable to do so even when the modding toolkit comes out. It was impossible to do with previous Witcher 2 game and it's toolkit, I'm assuming it will be the same this time around

Last edited:
Agreed

I hope that the new alternative style is a legitimate change in responsiveness and movement both Geralt and Roach, more finetuned and easier to use.

I hope it's not just a few minor tweaks for Mouse and Keyboard users to make their keyboard usage a little easier, I mean know they've been complaining about it and rightfully so, I'm just saying movement in general is messed up and needs to be fixed as a whole.
And if a lot of us using gamepads on consoles or PC's are complaining about the movement, I can imagine the Keyboard players have been having an even rougher time

But yea the 2 aspects of the game that need a definite overhaul and different approach is movement, and sword fighting.. And this is something only CD Projekt Red can do on their end with further patches, we will be unable to do so even when the modding toolkit comes out. It was impossible to do with previous Witcher 2 game and it's toolkit, I'm assuming it will be the same this time around

I definitely agree on the movement part. The swordplay can be a little quirky but if good in my opinion with the exception of the locking mechanism which I think they are addressing.

Top Bottom