Triss Merigold (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I could tell you in a PM, but you'll hate me after.

Immediately check PM, see nothing, now i definitely hate you for the rest of my life :evil:

Off to play Witcher 3, need to finish this 3rd torment playthrough, save games before every cutscene include Triss ;)

Yeah, I know how you feel. I have like 5 saves, each one of them is before one of the romantic conversations with her. My game-play ends after Blindingly Obvious (Before the fountain scene) haven't been able to progress any further since I came here to the forums to discuss the plot holes and inconsistencies, I just repeat through them when I'm bored. She definitely became one of the most attractive and loveable game characters (She even passed any character BioWare has).

See that is the thing i always believed in that Triss was CDPR's 'own character' in that they took characters from the books, but it was Triss who was given a sort a new life in that CDPR allowed her to become a focus and a major character and yet for all she went through in the trilogy, i never felt she had that conclusion that CDPR were trying to build up for her in the previous games....she didn't evolve as much in this game and that can be due to her not having as much interactions or not being as important to the main storyline. Yet we all cared for her and her relationship with Geralt because of all they went through previously and we were cheering for their 'happy ever after'.

That's something that I always felt that CDPR was a bit short on (Conversations with other characters) obviously they make the best conversations and the most romantic, I couldn't help but remember Mass Effect games and being able talking to our crew and love-interest after each mission for new conversations and updates. That would've made TW3 perfect, I'm very disappointed that we get to talk to Keira, Roche, Ves and Letho in Kaer Morhen and not to Triss.

It certainly was something they were great at in making some of the most meaningful conversations romantic or not, but the interactions and a lack of conversations is somewhat disappointing, i mean it isn't in my opinion just her conversations with Geralt that needed more, but her conversations with others namely Ciri and Yen in that she doesn't necessarily develop alongside those characters nor does the game paint them as being very close (although implied through dialogue with Geralt), so here's hoping the expansions allow more interactions between major characters.

That's what made it so difficult, knowing that this is the last game we're going to have in TW-World, at least for a while and we didn't get enough of her. Having to wait for 7-8 months from now to get the expansions where she's supposed to have a lot of new content as the developers said seems so far away. Hopefully we will be able to get the fixes before that, around the time the first expansion is released to spike our interest back in the game. After that (Hoping that the fixes will improve the romance enough for us to enjoy repeating the game over and over) we all will feel less lonely, more happy and more excited about the second expansion.

I'll still say this, we better get more of her in the second expansion as they promised, the fixes better be good and please CDPR, consider adding Kovir. >.<

I think down the road from now, we will all be pretty satisfied with how Triss is in both romance content and her content in general and the same may be said for other characters....the mark of a great character in any medium is being able to get a reaction out of the viewer/player, so CDPR have done extremely well for us to have opinions about the characters in the games. I don't know when the fixes are coming, like many here i prefer if they take their time and yeah i personally am looking forward to the expansions, it is going to be like a having a new game on top of this one (supposed to be as long as the Witcher 2).

Need more Triss on everypage.

See that is the thing i always believed in that Triss was CDPR's 'own character' in that they took characters from the books, but it was Triss who was given a sort a new life in that CDPR allowed her to become a focus and a major character and yet for all she went through in the trilogy, i never felt she had that conclusion that CDPR were trying to build up for her in the previous games....she didn't evolve as much in this game and that can be due to her not having as much interactions or not being as important to the main storyline. Yet we all cared for her and her relationship with Geralt because of all they went through previously and we were cheering for their 'happy ever after'.

Whenever she showed in the books, she was very interesting and very attractive. If Geralt had an emotional attachment with her, I expected that a lot of the people who were going to play the game would feel the same way, It seemed that they cared about her a lot in TW1 and in TW2 (The character development issues started in TW2) which brings me to the sad conclusion I've reached before, Triss was used to give Geralt something to keep him going until the return of her predecessor. I'm not sure how it happened exactly, and why why she wasn't supposed to be a romance option in the first place in TW3. But whatever it is, it obviously didn't work out (It's more than sex) I can't help but feel upset that her scenes are censored while other character scenes aren't (That just validates my theory about her being used as a sex toy) but they proved us wrong by admitting the inconsistencies and promising to fix them.

It certainly was something they were great at in making some of the most meaningful conversations romantic or not, but the interactions and a lack of conversations is somewhat disappointing, i mean it isn't in my opinion just her conversations with Geralt that needed more, but her conversations with others namely Ciri and Yen in that she doesn't necessarily develop alongside those characters nor does the game paint them as being very close (although implied through dialogue with Geralt), so here's hoping the expansions allow more interactions between major characters.

This is definitely something that we need to point out, for their future games sake. The lack of conversation and the inability to take companions with us (I think they should be available to join us when we want them to). I think that the character's poor interaction happened due to her being inserted in a very late stage of development where the game was finalizing and they tried to fit her in as best as possible. Having her interact with that family, the family that she's a part of would've definitely made our gaming experience 10 times more fun.

I think down the road from now, we will all be pretty satisfied with how Triss is in both romance content and her content in general and the same may be said for other characters....the mark of a great character in any medium is being able to get a reaction out of the viewer/player, so CDPR have done extremely well for us to have opinions about the characters in the games. I don't know when the fixes are coming, like many here i prefer if they take their time and yeah i personally am looking forward to the expansions, it is going to be like a having a new game on top of this one (supposed to be as long as the Witcher 2).

I think what will satisfy everyone the most is them aiming for equality, giving her more validation as a romance option. If they managed to reach that, all of us will be satisfied and we won't have anything to complain nor whine about. They did think some things through as we've discussed before (Such as retrieving Uma first before talking to the Baron and before heading to Novigrad) so, they did go through that sequence, they saw it doable that way, sadly, Triss wasn't included on the list of things to do if things are being done the opposite way.

Our best hope right now is the first expansions, I have a feeling we will get the fixes around it's release. *Fingers crossed*.

EDIT reason: Typos.

Last edited:
Patch 1.07 seems quite large and fixes a lot of issues(which I didn't came across with most, I guess my game was pretty stable) hopefully now they'll have time to deal with Triss issue and I don't believe that they can't do some things. I think CDPR earned enough money to develop their game for better as long as they are willing to(and think it's necessary). Also before statements about this Triss issue indicated that they can work with voice actors since they said there will be dialog changes and additions so in my point of view they can basically do everything as long as they decide it's needed. They don't really need new animations for Geralt since he stands there like a tree in most conversations(witcher nature I assume), they might need new animations for Triss(or other characters but they can copy paste already established animations from other characters). If I remember correctly we didn't ask for any story change as well, just little improvements and new dialog options and fixes in the already existing narrative and I don't see anything could prevent programmers, writers or devs to do it.

Wow, just woke up and started catching up and I don't like what I'm seeing. CDPR hasn't even said what things will they change and we are already dividing ourselves on what fixes should be there. Whatever they decide to fix, we should be grateful, there is no way in hell that they will satisfy everyone's expectations, and even if they don't fix the things you expected, have in mind that they could have easily ignored us without any special consequences to their business. Their decision to even address our issues is a precedence not often seen in gaming industry.

Speaking for myself, I don't see me being unhappy no matter what is added, Triss romance while definitely having its flaws is what has brought us all here and to say that it is completely horrible in its current state is just wrong IMO. All the scenes Triss has in the game are amazing, they made us like Triss this much in the first place. I doubt CDPR will return to Triss issue once they release the fixes they themselves decide are worth fixing, so for anyone who will still be unsatisfied after that I must say: Tough luck, hope for the expansions to bring you more content. But for now let's wait and see what will be changed, we have given them more than enough feedback, be patient and happy that we will get more Triss content in the future.

Patch 1.07 seems quite large and fixes a lot of issues(which I didn't came across with most, I guess my game was pretty stable) hopefully now they'll have time to deal with Triss issue and I don't believe that they can't do some things. I think CDPR earned enough money to develop their game for better as long as they are willing to(and think it's necessary). Also before statements about this Triss issue indicated that they can work with voice actors since they said there will be dialog changes and additions so in my point of view they can basically do everything as long as they decide it's needed. They don't really need new animations for Geralt since he stands there like a tree in most conversations(witcher nature I assume), they might need new animations for Triss(or other characters but they can copy paste already established animations from other characters). If I remember correctly we didn't ask for any story change as well, just little improvements and new dialog options and fixes in the already existing narrative and I don't see anything could prevent programmers, writers or devs to do it.

I didn't have any of those issues either (I'm guessing my game was pretty stable too) they're adding a few interesting new things though. The new character movement-style (Not sure what that one does exactly) and the alchemy/crafting items not counting toward the weight also sounded good, the new book tab (That was also needed). But when it comes to Triss, I fear that they're still in the process of figuring out what to do. I doubt her fixes will be arrive on the next patch either, they probably finished working on this patch a week ago or so and they're in the process of testing it.

The improvements and fixes will be delivered, I expect it will be around the release of the first expansion on October (Hopefully it won't be delayed more than that) because fixing the plot hole and inconsistencies could push their release date back a bit.

---------- Updated at 09:52 AM ----------

Wow, just woke up and started catching up and I don't like what I'm seeing. CDPR hasn't even said what things will they change and we are already dividing ourselves on what fixes should be there. Whatever they decide to fix, we should be grateful, there is no way in hell that they will satisfy everyone's expectations, and even if they don't fix the things you expected, have in mind that they could have easily ignored us without any special consequences to their business. Their decision to even address our issues is a precedence not often seen in gaming industry.

Yeah, I think they will update us soon enough though. I'm not really expecting them to fix everything (All I want them to aim for is equality between both romance options) maybe they didn't consider somethings as inconsistencies and we did, but some of them are obvious and hopefully those will get fixed. I'm also not sure what made the people start diving now about what they expect and want from the fixes, both of the lists we have are from the first 400 pages in the previous topic. We just went through a more detailed discussion about why they're considered inconsistencies.

Speaking for myself, I don't see me being unhappy no matter what is added, Triss romance while definitely having its flaws is what has brought us all here and to say that it is completely horrible in its current state is just wrong IMO. All the scenes Triss has in the game are amazing, they made us like Triss this much in the first place. I doubt CDPR will return to Triss issue once they release the fixes they themselves decide are worth fixing, so for anyone who will still be unsatisfied after that I must say: Tough luck, hope for the expansions to bring you more content. But for now let's wait and see what will be changed, we have given them more than enough feedback, be patient and happy that we will get more Triss content in the future.

I feel the same way you do, but not much we can do about it expect asking for what we asked for in our previous topic (It seems only fair to hold onto what we worked for now) otherwise, all of it will go in vein. It's very horrible where the romance stands with her at the moment, lets hope they will be able to fix most of it, considering that her only love scene was censored while some other character scenes weren't, I'd say we already know what to expect from those fixes *tears*.

They did say she will have a lot of new content in the second expansion though, that made me feel a lot better about the whole situation.

I think what will satisfy everyone the most is them aiming for equality, giving her more validation as a romance option. If they managed to reach that, all of us will be satisfied and we won't have anything to complain nor whine about. They did think some things through as we've discussed before (Such as retrieving Uma first before talking to the Baron and before heading to Novigrad) so, they did go through that sequence, they saw it doable that way, sadly, Triss wasn't included on the list of things to do if things are being done the opposite way.

Our best hope right now is the first expansions, I have a feeling we will get the fixes around it's release. *Fingers crossed*.

I definitely think they are aiming for equality, this is a company that cares about its fans and they care about the characters as well (being huge fans of the Witcher world), so yeah i think the majority of us are actually looking forward to the changes rather than being worried, even the dev in the interview mentioned the Triss content even though the question wasn't about it, so it does suggest they are very much invested in delivery something we can all be happy about. I am really looking forward to the expansions....ahh the wait!, but yeah what we do have is great (barring the inconsistencies), so we know that any changes they make will improve the experience of the game.

It's very horrible where the romance stands with her at the moment, lets hope they will be able to fix most of it, considering that her only love scene was censored while some other character scenes weren't, I'd say we already know what to expect from those fixes *tears*.
While I agree with most things you said, I just can't consider the current state of Triss romance horrible, its flawed yes, but horrible, never. There are so many moments in the game that made me love Triss, just the way she looks at Geralt at certain situations is amazing to me, her voice, personality and how obviously she is in love in with him, make her head and shoulders above any romance option in any game EVER, in my opinion of course. With the few scenes she has CDPR has set the bar so high that I am simply disappointed that there aren't more and that the game sidelines her after all those amazing scenes.

Just the fact that it has made me care this much about a fictional character speaks volumes to me, if it was completely horrible I wouldn't even bother coming here daily, discussing about her and hopping for more content. Never in my life have I cared about imaginary character enough to want to invest a fraction of the time I am "wasting" here every day, slacking off at work and in my private life just so I can read all the things posted here. So I think that Triss romance is not at all horrible but amazing, it just has certain inconsistencies I would like to see fixed so it can be even better.

As far as sex scene is concerned, I agree it is not the best, especially after the elven bath has raised the bar so much, but it doesn't bother me that much, I would rather have more dialog with her, and if they decide to change it or add another sex scene, that's fine.

Last edited:
While I agree with most things you said, I just can't consider the current state of Triss romance horrible, its flawed yes, but horrible, never. There are so many moments in the game that made me love Triss, just the way she looks at Geralt at certain situations is amazing to me, her voice, personality and how obviously she is in love in with him, make her head and shoulders above any romance option in any game EVER, in my opinion of course. With the few scenes she has CDPR has set the bar so high that I am simply disappointed that there aren't more and that the game sidelines her after all those amazing scenes.

Just the fact that it has made me care this much about a fictional character speaks volumes to me, if it was completely horrible I wouldn't even bother coming here daily, discussing about her and hopping for more content. Never in my life have I cared about imaginary character enough to want to invest a fraction of the time I am "wasting" here every day, slacking off at work and in my private life just so I can read all the things posted here. So I think that Triss romance is not at all horrible but amazing, it just has certain inconsistencies I would like to see fixed so it can be even better.

As far as sex scene is concerned, I agree it is not the best, especially after the elven bath has raised the bar so much, but it doesn't bother me that much, I would rather have more dialog with her, and if they decide to change it or add another sex scene, that's fine.

Absolutely. I've never been affected so much by a video game character, and I didn't think that would happen when I started the game. Dialogue is fantastic, the way she talks to him and looks at him, and that Triss getting slightly tipsy removes the barrier between them and finally allows them to share a beautiful moment (the kiss in the garden). Like you said, they absolutely nailed the facial expressions in this game, especially that of Triss and Geralt.

That said, what's horrible is that you're only given a taste of this. They made the somewhat small amount of time you spend with her amazing, and leaves much to be desired in the later game stages. The idea that you make a crucial decision to love Triss at the boat scene and you're confident in your decision, and then boom in the rest of the game it looks more likely that you're in love with Yenn rather than anyone else. Hell, seems more likely that you're in love with Keira than Merigold in dialogue after the Triss sex scene.

In that sense, it is horrible. Don't interpret "horrible" meaning "the way they developed the Triss-Geralt romance was horrible", but rather "the decision of a Triss-Geralt romance by the player was reflected horribly throughout the rest of the game".

Could anyone add a kovir dlc poll thread? Something to show and suggest, if we have enough numbers, to CD project to consider another major DLC.

In that sense, it is horrible. Don't interpret "horrible" meaning "the way they developed the Triss-Geralt romance was horrible", but rather "the decision of a Triss-Geralt romance by the player was reflected horribly throughout the rest of the game".
When you put it like that it makes sense, however I still think horrible is a strong word to describe it, I have even seen Yen fans complaining about some things in Act 3, so it's in a way a "problem" or a creative decision to focus more on Ciri-Geralt relationship in the last part of the game. But even if that is the case, due to the nature of the events taking place(final battle could be their last) it is still logical for Geralt romance choice to give him more support than the simple: "Good luck", not to mention the already infamous:"Well", so I definitely agree with you that the game needs to reflect their relationship better latter on.

Rose of Rememberance. Why some players don't give it such magic importance, but only a melancoly though. Just for those who didn't pay attention of just followed the Roche's path 8:20

Could anyone add a kovir dlc poll thread? Something to show and suggest, if we have enough numbers, to CD project to consider another major DLC.

If they added a kovir dlc, I would flip my desk. I'd 100% pay way more for that than the original game. Probably not gonna happen though.

When you put it like that it makes sense, however I still think horrible is a strong word to describe it, I have even seen Yen fans complaining about some things in Act 3, so it's in a way a "problem" or a creative decision to focus more on Ciri-Geralt relationship in the last part of the game.

Yeah, it's definitely a strong word to describe it from a development perspective - it's just an issue with the game if you see it like that. Problem is, as you highlighted in your earlier post, Triss and the relationship with her is so strong and powerful in the initial quests we get with her, that many players including myself and most likely yourself have been left so emotionally attached and involved with this character that any problem or issue is magnified to a level where we describe it as "horrible".

It's like if suddenly you become a millionaire for 5 minutes and then back to normal, rather than being given €10 for 5 minutes and then back to €0. First one comes with a much more horrible feeling than the second.

Though honestly, it doesn't matter. Call it horrible, call it a problem, call it an issue, call it a bug, even call it a duck for all I care as long as CDPR resolves it.

but game is inconsistent with books previous games and i i had to deal with it, and everyone else should do the same it`s easier that way

True. After playing TW1, I read most of the books so I learned most of the background of the witcher world.
Going into TW2 with those knowledge was kinda weird since you know who the characters are now.

You really just can't ignore where the characters of the game came from even if you don't like what it is, only how they were developed and matured.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom