Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yen stole the other wand from Gandalf! IT IS KNOWN!

Speaking of wands.In TW2 all sorceresses used them,but in TW3 they didn't.Why's that?Evil Yen probably stole all of them

I joined this thread because the unfair treatment of Yen in other threads and for feedback my opinion how I see the Yen's introduction as a big, big failure. Don't wanna addition nor changes. Just letting know whom want to hear me what I think.

While I would be sad if we don't get anymore Yen in TW3, I would be content to wait for Geralt/Yen to show up as a canon pairing in TW4:huh:

Just some random thoughts about Yen and Geralt...

They were already old and world wise when they first met, but instead of treating her like one of the passer by encounters, he immediately jumped to conclusion she is to be his soul mate, by making the wish.
They did not have sex or even a kiss beforehand, it's all caused by Yen's first impression and personality. OK, and maybe the naked bubble bath.

This is where I don't see the reason for obsession about Triss or any other woman Geralt gave a minute of his time in bed. They are simply not old, wise, experienced and strong in character as Yen, and whilst I'm sure Geralt enjoyed their intimate company, it doesn't feel to me he's ever bonded on an emotional level as deep as he did with Yen.

Triss and Fringilla came as close as any woman will, but it's still miles from Yen.

Triss in game is even less interesting, In W1 Shani is like a younger Yen, strong in character, brutally honest and demanding of respect from Geralt. Triss is manipulative, selfish and scheming behind Geralt's back with the Lodge.

In W2, Triss is suddenly whiny, insecure but still selfish, more than ever. She knows Geralt is about to recover his memory and go look for Yen, but that didn't stop her from imprinting her feelings and emotions on to him one last time.

In W3, after many years and two games later, we've finally had our first taste of game Yen, and it's really awesome.
Except it feels like CDPR didn't think she deserved to be more accentuated as the third most important person in their family theme. It's all about Ciri yes, but hey she's got two equally important to her parents.

Let's start with Vesemir and other witchers. They are all old and world wise and they all suffer from the witcher complex of wanting a normal life deep down. Lambert shows this clearly. So Yen bashing and comments, especially from Vesemir don't make much sense. They should well know why Geralt is so madly obsessed with her. It's a rare, God given gift to meet a soul mate, someone you could feel perfectly happy spending the rest of your days. Even less so for a witcher.
I understand and support their manly comments about her being bossy, but not Geralt's choice in being with her.

Then Ciri, their daughter who saved them both in the books as well as always wanting for them all three to be together as a family. We've had fantastic father daughter moments, but almost no mother daughter, apart from a few dialogue lines. Ciri would've wanted to spend time, talk and go visit her friends with Yen, just as much as with Geralt. Yen's role in their family begun and stayed oh so subtle.
At times it feels like they've portrayed Vesemir's relationship with Ciri deeper than with Yen.

And Geralt has his full memory restored, who's seen it all and been around, I honestly don't see how could he look at Triss with anything more than pity for how she's used him, let alone chose to abandon the love of his life to spend his days in a royal palace.

CDPR had the right idea to make Yen all business in Vizima, but we deserve a resolution with the Triss pest. There should be a cut scene with Geralt giving Triss a piece of his mind for being taken used in the past, and Yen acknowledging it (something like, that's my man or it never occurred to me the fully recovered Geralt would not come looking for me) and maybe even putting Triss in her place later on (maybe on a boat, I see you're the same little old Triss...)

But the deepest hole in this is that Ciri does not react to them. Ciri in the books who always did everything she could to keep them together and is essentially number one Geralt + Yen fan.
It is perfectly reasonable to expect her scolding and being disappointed with Geralt should he go with Triss, and even choosing to leave him and go with Yen for the rest of the game. It's like leaving her mother for a baby sitter.
But also, there should be more of a happy family reunited moments if players chose to be with Yen.

TL DR version: It would be nice if CDPR nailed the Yen importance instead flirting with it, by tweaking character reactions to Yen's relationship with Geralt and Ciri, and giving us more content with Yen in combination with Geralt and Ciri.

Thanks swordsandroses - I agree with you with the Yen and Ciri situation!

Coming back to the topic.. I would had liked to know what happened to Yennefer during the whole time she was a prisoner first of the Wild Hunt and later of Nilfgaard-Emhyr. What did TWH do to her? Was she hurt? Did she try to escape? And later, why was she a Nilfgaard prisoner so much time? So many questions!

Edit:

Last edited:
The more I think about it the more I'm convinced that the scene in Kaer Morhen when Ciri is back there for the first time is downright terrible. So many flaws to it (Vesemir more important for Ciri than Yen, Yen kisses Geralt no matter what, no conflict between Yen and Triss no matter what, no true emotional empathy for Ciri later in the council scene by Yen)...

This scene is so underdeveloped and flawed... :(

Maybe, but for me the first step putting Triss instead Yen in TW1 will be a weight that CDPR will always have to bear them CDPR, wahtever they want do right now for"compensing" or "balancing" romances consecuences.... In fact TW1 was not worse than the begining of TW2 speaking about "free choice" romance.....

So all those we understand ( those who choose) Yen's beharviour ought accept what CDPR did and do with that subject.

The rest of the game, well 1.07 is here so they seems keeping a good job don't letting followers back down. :D

Coming back to the topic.. I would had liked to know what happened to Yennefer during the whole time she was a prisoner first of the Wild Hunt and later of Nilfgaard-Emhyr. What did TWH to her? Did she try to escape? And later, why was she a Nilfgaard prisoner so much time? So many questions!

Exactly - I really hoped that we would find out more in the game.

I know this artwork has been posted here already but it shows how cool and emotional a scene from this moment would be...

Coming back to the topic.. I would had liked to know what happened to Yennefer during the whole time she was a prisoner first of the Wild Hunt and later of Nilfgaard-Emhyr. What did TWH do to her? Was she hurt? Did she try to escape? And later, why was she a Nilfgaard prisoner so much time? So many questions!

-> something I wrote elsewhere already ;)
I think one of the best solutions for that would have been three flashback scenes that shows the time when Geralt and his band of witchers (with Letho and his guys) encountered the Hunt for the first time in person, so basically the "prequel" to the Witcher games.

1) The first scene would be a Geralt POV (playabl)e scene that shows the events which led him to trading himself in for Yennefer and agreeing to ride with the hunt (which is much a personal defeat). There is obviously a lot of potential here for talking and giving context to the whole background of the story and the Hunt. The moment for this flashback to take place could be the end of the prologue in Vizima during the dialogue Geralt has with Yen and after the Rid Hunters hunted them on the way from White Orchard to Vizima.

2) The second scene would show scenes from Geralt riding with the Hunt, searching for Ciri. It would be just a collection of short and wild cutscenes (not playable) Geralt dreams about while he lies at the beach after the ship wrecking on his first way to Skellige.

3) The third flashback scene would show how Ciri helped Geralt to escape the hunt. So it would be a Ciri POV playable flashback scene. Imo the best time to set this scene is while Avallac'h and Geralt are travelling through different worlds. Imo the spot on the ice planet at the end in the tower just before they reach Tir La Nia would be perfectly suited for that because it has the proper context for Geralt to ask Avallac'h if he know how Ciri managed to free him from the Hunt.

Last edited:
I don't think CDPR wants to force a decision. That could be unwise.
They already did it multiple times. As Konrad said, story > everything else, including C&C. Stuff happens outside of that player's reach.

There is reason why they tied Triss up in a court life (something Geralt hates probably more than anything) and about 5 different occupations in Kovir, place where nothing happens (so TW4 probably won't happen there), while Yen is free to do whatever they need her to do:rly?:

Obviously, I am speaking from a position of someone who is fairly convinced TW4 will happen with Ciri as a protag.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom