Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like game Triss a lot but only in Witcher 3. In first two games I found myself cringing a lot lol. Her questline and interactions were done very nicely, I honestly don't understand what are Triss fanboys complaining and why lol. Just why? Even tho I absolutely despise book Triss I was able to find a strong liking for her in the Wild Hunt, deep inside of my heart. I liked how her character has developed, exactly as I would imagine it after reading the books and playing first two games. :) You might strongly disagree with my opinion, but yeah that's why its just my opinion.

I would never sex or romance Triss, that's just blaspemy. However, that still didn't stop me from preventing her torture, killing every single motherfucker in that Witch Cunt castle and then kissing her at the party. That moment was beautiful and it really caught me off guard. I was like fuck it, kiss her lol. I'm pretty sure book Geralt would have done the same so no regrets! I hope this doesn't count as OT or doesn't get people who romanced Triss heated or offended in any way lol. Like I said I enjoyed her in the last game but that's it. Big props to CDPR for that. I never thought it would be possible lol.

But back to the Yen topic - I would never want nor like to see Triss and Yennefer fighting or arguing at Kaer Morhen, actually I wouldn't like to witness that at all. Books already made that pretty clear so yeah.
Oi m8 your opinions bollocks and I h8 it.
I joke pls no report.

I'm swapping over the Yen romance for one with Triss this time round, see how well I like it (will spam skip when breaking up with Yen) cause I think she's a good partner for Geralt (as portrayed in Wild Hunt anyway, also I don't think she's a better match than Yen, just to be clear)

Also, why wouldn't you like to see them fighting? And what did the books make so clear? (haven't read them all yet so bear with me :lol: )

Also, why wouldn't you like to see them fighting? And what did the books make so clear? (haven't read them all yet so bear with me :lol: )

I wouldn't like to see them fight because I already did on several occasions and even tho I hate book Triss I still didn't like to see her being obliterated by Yennefer, I felt very uncomfortable and sad about it. But that's life yo.

She fully deserves it, but, her being a very damaged and emotionally unstable character, very much just like Geralt himself, it just hurts me to witness it, deep deep inside.

I'm not like "FUCK YEAH YEN GO GO GO GIVE HER WHAT SHE DESERVES" at all in these moments, I'm more like what the hell leave her alone, that woman is a mess anyway.

From the books for example:

“You’re not going to meet a loved one, Triss,” Yennefer continued.
“I am not so noble or stupid enough to give you the opportunity, or him the temptation. But just for today. I could not deny myself the sweet satisfaction. He knows what role you play as a member of the Lodge. He will thank you for that with his famous look. And I’ll be looking at your quivering lips and trembling hands, I will listen to your lame apologies and excuses. And you know what, Triss? I will faint with delight.”
“I knew,” Triss grunted, “that you would not forget, that you would take your revenge. I agreed to this because I was actually at fault. But one thing I must tell you, Yennefer. Do not count too much on fainting. He knows how to forgive.”
“He knows what was done to him, of course,” Yennefer narrowed her eyes. “But he will never forgive you for what was done to Ciri. And me.”
“It is possible,” Triss swallowed, “he may not forgive. Especially, if you insist. But he won’t fly into a rage. He won’t lower himself like that.”
Yennefer flicked her horse with her whip in anger. The animal whinnied and leapt, and the sorceress swayed in her saddle.
“Enough talk,” she snapped. “More humility, you smug viper! He is my man, mine and only mine! Do you understand? You have to stop talking about him, stop thinking about him, you have to stop admiring his noble character… As of right now, right now! Oh, I want to grab you by your matted red hair…”
“Try it!” screamed Triss. “Just try it, you vindictive bitch and I’ll scratch out your eyes!” I…”

Last edited:
As Gilthoniel requested, here are some of my screenshots. Enjoy :)

That scene at the very beginning of the game, Geralt could have so much trouble ahah ! Subtitles are in French... cause I'm French ;)

I'll take other screenshots during my second playthrough with Yen !

In my last playthrough, i'll try the Triss choice as soon as changes will be made, in order to compare (you guys in CDPR rock so much, I already know that this will deserve a playthrough with Triss) :victory:

Yennefer, Triss, and Geralt's relationship from a book reader who considers the game on equal canon grounds

One of the things which is true of video games which is not true of books is the fact that, like movies, there's a lot more open to interpretation. It's interesting to note, for example, my perspective of Triss Merrigold and Yennefer of Vengerberg in the games is very different from the perspective of those who post in other threads. Very much so, my interpretation is my own and what I got from the games rather than an objective statement of fact unlike in the books where it's less ambiguous.

For instance, my vision of Triss Merrigold is that of the Atoner. She is a woman who did some terrible, horrible things she regrets like betraying Geralt and Ciri in the books and proceeded to one-up herself by doing something even worse by betraying Geralt into seducing himself--knowing he wanted nothing further to do with her after the business of the Lodge.

Yet, because of Geralt's influence and the HORRIBLE consequences of both Jacques de Alderberg's madness as well as the Lodge's callous disregard for human life, Triss decided to reverse her prior decision. She chose Geralt over the Lodge and revealed their plans to the world. In short, Triss earned the right to be loved by Geralt, ironically by choosing to be more like Yennefer.

She also abandoned her past with Geralt because it was wrong to keep him from Yennefer and that she vowed to help him find her again. Triss made an effort, furthermore, to atone for her actions by working to save the persecuted and murdered in Novigrad from Radovid's madness.

You will not find this Triss Merrigold in many other threads

A character I have no interest in is the Triss Merrigold who did no wrong. Triss Merigold who was always the saintly Leliana of the games and someone who is defined by being the Good Grrl to Yennefer's Bad Grrl. A Triss Merrigold who is still loyal to the Lodge of Sorceresses and doesn't regret betraying Geralt not once, but twice. A Triss who would betray Ciri for a second time and for whom Geralt would, in his characteristic way, have nothing but "contempt and contemptibility" for.
Yet, there is evidence in the game for both Triss Merrigold's.

I was brought to the books by the games and thus tend to hold them in a high reverance than many book-readers. In my opinion, there are two different and equally valid continuties but they have their own deep importance. There's the Witcher novel-canon where the Witcher books are a complete story. Geralt dies at the hands of the pogrom as does Yennefer but Ciri manages to move them bodily to a dimension in-between life and death to live their Happy Ending (which is a cop-out but I don't mind giving a physical Heaven to our heroes). However, the video games have their own canon where the books are 100% canon but the story continues. I actually maintain a third canon where "Something Ends, Something Begins." Because why not?

In the game canon, Geralt of Rivia and Yennefer have both been affected strongly by the past seven years. My preference for the Yennefer and Geralt relationship is that Geralt still very much loves Yennefer but he's also possessed of many new and complicated feelings from the past seven years. He's become more more politically involved, against his will perhaps, but not smaller.

New Geralt

The New Geralt is affected by his amnesia to the point that he has enacted real-change in the world and is no longer "just" a Witcher. He's a savior to the whole of Temeria as well as a living legend. He's in a different sort of world now, one where Witchers are not anachronisms, but vitally important parts of society again. He's also world-famous because of Dandelion's ballads and determines the fate of nations.

In short, he's found himself in the uncomfortable role of hero.

New Yennefer

Yennefer, by contrast, is suffering a much worse fate. She is a woman who has spent the past seven years imprisoned at the hands of Nilfgaard, suffering indignities, and recovering her memory quickly but remaining in the hands of a monster. She is forced to watch Geralt live a life of privilege and honor with her best friend (who she must hate now--ironic, given Triss finally realizes how badly she's misused her companion). The Yennefer who is finally released is a woman who wants nothing more than to REGAIN her happy ending. The one stolen from her not by Triss but circumstance. This is what motivates her rage and anger. A desperate desire to take back what has been taken, her family, and loved ones--no matter the cost.

WHICH YOU WOULDN'T KNOW the way some people treat her. They either ignore Yennefer's ruthless actions and the fact these are a gross change from the book character, pretending she's still the same woman as before, or they paint her with some broad evil stroke which ignores her humanity. There's evidence for both but, for me, the Yennefer of the Games is a woman hideously wronged and trying to claw her way out.

And then can hear from her true love's lips.

"No, I'm sorry, Yen, I just don't feel the same way anymore."

Gut punch.

Thankfully, there's another option, but for me Yennefer's story is one of meta-textual fun. That her role as the main female protagonist has been usurped--and the story is very much one of realizing it may be impossible to go back--but she can always move forward.

:respect: What a great comment!

I wouldn't like to see them fight because I already did on several occasions and even tho I hate book Triss I still didn't like to see her being obliterated by Yennefer, I felt very uncomfortable and sad about it. But that's life yo.

She fully deserves it, but, her being a very damaged and emotionally unstable character, very much just like Geralt himself, it just hurts me to witness it, deep deep inside.

I'm not like "FUCK YEAH YEN GO GO GO GIVE HER WHAT SHE DESERVES" at all in these moments, I'm more like what the hell leave her alone, that women is a mess anyways.

From the books for example:

“You’re not going to meet a loved one, Triss,” Yennefer continued.
“I am not so noble or stupid enough to give you the opportunity, or him the temptation. But just for today. I could not deny myself the sweet satisfaction. He knows what role you play as a member of the Lodge. He will thank you for that with his famous look. And I’ll be looking at your quivering lips and trembling hands, I will listen to your lame apologies and excuses. And you know what, Triss? I will faint with delight.”
“I knew,” Triss grunted, “that you would not forget, that you would take your revenge. I agreed to this because I was actually at fault. But one thing I must tell you, Yennefer. Do not count too much on fainting. He knows how to forgive.”
“He knows what was done to him, of course,” Yennefer narrowed her eyes. “But he will never forgive you for what was done to Ciri. And me.”
“It is possible,” Triss swallowed, “he may not forgive. Especially, if you insist. But he won’t fly into a rage. He won’t lower himself like that.”
Yennefer flicked her horse with her whip in anger. The animal whinnied and leapt, and the sorceress swayed in her saddle.
“Enough talk,” she snapped. “More humility, you smug viper! He is my man, mine and only mine! Do you understand? You have to stop talking about him, stop thinking about him, you have to stop admiring his noble character… As of right now, right now! Oh, I want to grab you by your matted red hair…”
“Try it!” screamed Triss. “Just try it, you vindictive bitch and I’ll scratch out your eyes!” I…”
Ah yeah, I get where you're coming from, Yennefer can be like Phillipa in which she is pretty ruthless, And that's just what I've picked up from TW3 and The Last Wish. Triss is a bit too, how do you say it without making her sound a wimp? Not ruthless comes to mind (again, only what I've picked up from what's said here and in TW3) even though she's maniuplative and from what I've heard, a bit of a twat in the books and first game.

Bloody hell that started to turn a bit rabid.

Btw Great post @Willowhugger (is this how you do the tag thing?)

I'm not in support of a confrontation between Yennefer and Triss. At least not in the open in front of people. They're grown, mature women and it isn't the time or the place (if it was Kaer Morhen) and it would only lower them to jealous teen girl standards if they caused a scene in front of everyone, especially Ciri, over something so stupid in the grand scheme of things. It's a matter of respect.

By themselves in private though? Sure, go ahead. Just don't be selfish enough to make it awkward for everyone.

I don't know if you read my dialogue but they ARE in private when the "confrontation" happens. In both variations of this scene Ciri is already gone when Yen says something to Triss about their relationship.

And I really don't get that "mature" thing. Do you really think adults behave rational all the time, like robots, without feelings? They don't. They don't do so at all. Especially not Yennefer who behave deeply emotional in almost every sitution in the book. That has nothing to do with "maturity". Being emotional isn't exclusive to "teen girls" or "high schoolers" or whatever. I also don't think that my dialogue reflect teen girls. Not at all. It only reflects real characters, having real problems.

You of course don't have to agree with me at all. I'd like to hear a different suggestion then for their interaction, especially in case Geralt is in a relationship to Triss. Because as I've already said, the whole scene makes absolutely no sense the way it his now under this premise.

For me, my ideal of Triss and Yennefer is different.

Off-camera, Yennefer goes to HURT Triss.

And Triss....breaks down crying and apologizing to Yennefer.

Which REALLY deflates Yen's mood.

:)

But yeah, my headcanon is Yennefer and Triss had a conversation at length where the latter pledged every oath magical or otherwise to help Ciri no matter the cost.

And Yennefer forgave her.

Much-much against her will.

Last edited:
But yeah, I think any Triss and Yennefer meeting would be the former seriously eating Crow.

Which I'm sure a lot of fans who see her as a saint wouldn't like.

"Noooooo! Triss can't admit that she did wrong by Yennefer!"

:halt:

But I think it's the only explanation where Yennefer WOULD forgive her.

I think it's because people in here are unsatisfied by the way Yennefer is presented and they're trying to validate that by making Triss looks more "flawed" as a character than her, she is at the moment "due to the inconsistencies" which developers acknowledged, I read did a lot of reading an I was suprprised by the amount of Triss discussions going on, half of this thread is Triss.

You're missing the point (at least if you mean me). The reason why Triss is talked about so often in this thread is because she and Yennefer can't be really separated in this game. Eeach of them work because of the other and the biggest narrative flaw of both right now is their lacking interaction and the unused potential or just bland inconsistencies of their relationship. So for improving one of these characters you simply have to improve both. The goal is to make both Yen and Triss more complex, "real" characters and not make one better at the costs of the other. Improving one character without the proper consequences for the other would only make the situation worse.

You're missing the point (at least if you mean me). The reason why Triss is talked about so often in this thread is because she and Yennefer can't be really separated in this game. Eeach of them work because of the other and the biggest narrative flaw of both right now is their lacking interaction and the unused potential or just bland inconsistencies of their relationship. So for improving one of these characters you simply have to improve both. The goal is to make both Yen and Triss more complex, "real" characters and not make one better at the costs of the other. Improving one character without the proper consequences for the other would only make the situation worse.

And despite disagreeing about EVERYTHING ELSE IN THE GAMES, we are as one mind in this.

There is no Yen and Geralt vs. Triss and Geralt.

There is the Yen, Geralt, Triss, Ciri family.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom