Would you rather play this game capped at a smooth 30fps, or with variable framerates of 35-45fps?

+
I set quality setting to get min 35 fps, max about 55-60 and avarage ~40-45 fps and this feel smooth in W3.
30 fps isn't enought.

There's no trouble with the post, and you've correctly identified why older games seem so very smooth: blur. This is why console games began purposefully adding rendering effects like "motion blur" or "ghosting" all the way back in the N64 days. Especially on a CRT monitor or vacuum tube TV, it looks great.

Blur on film, however is a double-edged sword. It does mask the "stutter" with sharp camera movements, but it also limits how quickly you can move the camera while still capturing a clear image. In truth, camera operators go to great lengths to ensure that there is no blur in their moving shots. You're watching a steady 24-28 fps. Whenever a shot is needed requiring a lot of motion, like for action shots, camera operators often up their speed to 32 fps (which also mucks with your colors and requires an annoying post process, but I digress). It's the lack of "hard edges" and the natural DoF on film that allow the eye to view playback as perfectly smooth.

24 fps on a monitor, using frame-by-frame rendering, would look choppy, but 30 is quite nice. Add a bit of blur, and it's really quite smooth. Even 24 fps is not fatiguing on the eyes as long as the blur is high enough. Again, you have to let the eye adjust. Our brain has this funny little thing it does concerning any visual input it receives -- it adapts. It's only when things drop below 20 fps that the eye can clearly pick up on each frame in turn, and the motion seems interrupted.

Modern audiences struggle a bit because their eyes have become accustomed to 60 fps +. It will take about 10 minutes for the eye to view 30 fps as smooth (even without motion blur); it will take about an hour for the brain to forget what 60 fps was like. 30 will never look as smooth as 60, but it will no longer seem choppy.

Actually, if you play at 30 fps for long, looking at 60 fps again will be what seems unnatural: as if the images are "sliding around on the screen" instead of moving naturally.

You're right about camera operators being limited in some way and that's why so many "action" scenes in film and tv are just a blur these days -- quick camera cuts with all the blur is a mess. I find it quite sad.

I've become so accustomed to 60 FPS myself that I cannot stand 30 FPS at all. It really bothers me; I cannot for the life of me enjoy gaming at such a low framerate. However, I have never taken the time to let my eyes and brain adjust to the lower framerate. I'm actually going to try this today; I will give it 20 minutes to see how well I adjust.

Regarding your last statement: so true! I remember when I first saw a 60 fps video a person made walking down the street. It wasn't a gaming video, of course, but higher framerate made my brain interpret this video as being sped up. I was a little confused at first because I knew it wasn't sped up but it sure felt that way! Despite that, I was really enjoying the difference and it only took my brain a minute or two to adjust.

Last edited:
You're right about camera operators being limited in some way and that's why so many "action" scenes in film and tv are just a blur these days -- quick camera cuts with all the blur is a mess. I find it quite sad.

I've become so accustomed to 60 FPS myself that I cannot stand 30 FPS at all. It really bothers me; I cannot for the life of me enjoy gaming at such a low framerate. However, I have never taken the time to let my eyes and brain adjust to the lower framerate. I'm actually going to try this today; I will give it 20 minutes to see how well I adjust.

Regarding your last statement: so true! I remember when I first saw a 60 fps video a person made walking down the street. It wasn't a gaming video, of course, but higher framerate made my brain interpret this video as being sped up. I was a little confused at first because I knew it wasn't sped up but it sure felt that way! Despite that, I was really enjoying the difference and it only took my brain a minute or two to adjust.

Great! Go for it. Just be sure you don't look at anything playing higher than 30 fps in between. Do that, and your brain will instantly reset.

And Princess Mononoke rocks.

Great! Go for it. Just be sure you don't look at anything playing higher than 30 fps in between. Do that, and your brain will instantly reset.

Another good point. If I was playing by uncapping my framerate, the sections where I got 45-50 fps felt really smooth, then going back down to 30-35 fps felt heavy. So the back and forth meant I never could get used to it and it kept bothering me.

but now at a constant 30fps, I no longer know what I am missing, so to speak.

Also, a question I'd like to ask you. Would playing at 30fps (with no motion blur) cause any side effects to your eyesight any more relative to 60fps? Or is 30 safe enough no matter what to not have any adverse effects?

Another good point. If I was playing by uncapping my framerate, the sections where I got 45-50 fps felt really smooth, then going back down to 30-35 fps felt heavy. So the back and forth meant I never could get used to it and it kept bothering me.

but now at a constant 30fps, I no longer know what I am missing, so to speak.

Also, a question I'd like to ask you. Would playing at 30fps (with no motion blur) cause any side effects to your eyesight any more relative to 60fps? Or is 30 safe enough no matter what to not have any adverse effects?

There's no threat to your eyesight -- only visual fatigue, like normal. It may happen more quickly at first, but not after your eyes adjust. The real damage comes from focusing on a screen two feet in front of you for extended periods. Makes you more and more nearsighted over time. At any fps.

I don't see this as a tech issue, anyways...I play at 70+ FPS average with occasional dips into the low 50s. Mostly high settings, one or two ultras. I do have the ground detail and water set to low as I did not notice a visual difference.

I don't see this as a tech issue, anyways...I play at 70+ FPS average with occasional dips into the low 50s. Mostly high settings, one or two ultras. I do have the ground detail and water set to low as I did not notice a visual difference.

It's a tech issue since it deals with altering the technical settings of the game.

For your settings:

Definitely jack the water up to at least High: it adds 3D waves as well as the boat bobbing and rocking as it travels. It also has about 0% impact on performance. Maybe 3% impact on Ultra. If you're able to achieve 70 fps, you won't notice any performance decrease on Ultra.

Ground texture has a bit of a performance impact, but the change is noticeable only in the fine details on the ground (rocks, dirt, cobblestones, etc.). I think there was supposed to be tessellation, as well, but it doesn't seem to be working.

Playing at 50-60fps with lower settings is the way to go, it makes much a more enjoyable experience to the game than playing at 30fps on ultra fo instance.

I followed through but I played for a whole hour with a cap at 30 FPS instead of just 20 minutes. The discomfort I felt ceased but in no way did I start to feel that 30 FPS was "smooth" at all. The "choppiness", even with motion blur, was readily apparent to me. I thought about why this was and had some ideas.

Cutscenes definitely felt "smoother" than gameplay even though I could easily tell the difference between a 60 fps cutscene and 30 fps cutscene (if the camera is not moving, I can tell by the smoothness of the animations of the characters or the environment). This is because of very little or very smooth camera movement. However, in gameplay, I'm constantly looking around my environment and adjusting the camera. I use a mouse and thought how this would play as a controller player. People on controllers don't generally make abrupt camera movements, right? I mean, how could they? It's impossible. I've used a controller before and even if you flick the analog stick max right or left, the camera movement is incredibly slow! It's almost as slow as those camera movements in cutscenes. A lot of console/controller players let the auto-centering do the job of adjusting the camera for them. I'm going on a tangent here but this definitely gave me some ideas on why some people perceive 30 FPS as smooth, which is subjective anyway.

So, my brain didn't instantly reset. Could it be that the 10 second interim visits to the inventory screen ruined the process? The inventory screen was still running at 30 FPS but my eyes found comfort in visiting that screen and not having to put up with the choppiness of 30 FPS.
--

Princess Mononoke was my first Studio Ghibli movie and remains my favorite, as much as I enjoy the others. xD

Last edited:
I followed through but I played for a whole hour with a cap at 30 FPS instead of just 20 minutes. The discomfort I felt ceased but in no way did I start to feel that 30 FPS was "smooth" at all. The "choppiness", even with motion blur, was readily apparent to me. I thought about why this was and had some ideas.

Cutscenes definitely felt "smoother" than gameplay even though I could easily tell the difference between a 60 fps cutscene and 30 fps cutscene (if the camera is not moving, I can tell by the smoothness of the animations of the characters or the environment). This is because of very little or very smooth camera movement. However, in gameplay, I'm constantly looking around my environment and adjusting the camera. I use a mouse and thought how this would play as a controller player. People on controllers don't generally make abrupt camera movements, right? I mean, how could they? It's impossible. I've used a controller before and even if you flick the analog stick max right or left, the camera movement is incredibly slow! It's almost as slow as those camera movements in cutscenes. A lot of console/controller players let the auto-centering do the job of adjusting the camera for them. I'm going on a tangent here but this definitely gave me some ideas on why some people perceive 30 FPS as smooth, which is subjective anyway.

So, my brain didn't instantly reset. Could it be that the 10 second interim visits to the inventory screen ruined the process? The inventory screen was still running at 30 FPS but my eyes found comfort in visiting that screen and not having to put up with the choppiness of 30 FPS.
--

Princess Mononoke was my first Studio Ghibli movie and remains my favorite, as much as I enjoy the others. xD

It seems it just doesn't sit well with you, then. I can only recommend that you set your monitor refresh to 60. If it's up at 120+, it's drawing at 4x the actual frame rate, which means several frames are being drawn repeatedly. This probably won't do much to help, though.

Modern LCD screens do draw more quickly and more accurately, which does make lower fps stand out a bit more. I've also played around a bit at 30 fps myself and noticed that since the draw distance distance is so far in Wild Hunt, the game has to move large, distant objects large distances in 3D space to maintain perspective when panning around. This means it's not very smooth at all at 30 fps. Increasing the level of blur would help this out -- or cutting down the draw distance.

The other thing, is that younger people might not ever be able to experience lower fps in gaming as smooth...because they never experienced lower fps in gaming. I grew up playing 8-bit games on the Commodore 64 and Apple II. It wasn't until the very first 286 microprocessors were released that 3D gaming was even a possibility. 10 fps was pretty standard performance for 3D games at that time. The very first 3D accelerator cards were not released until I was in university.

(Mechwarrior 2 and Descent on a Voodoo 1 card...:cheers2:)

All I know is that it can be done with the proper settings. Most consoles titles still run at a capped 30 fps to this day, but appear liquid smooth.

AWE all need to play the game WHEN IT IS GOD DAMN FIXED (or finished to be more precise)

Don't pick on them. They wrote over 1,000,000 lines of code. Then wrote more. Then had to fix it. I'm sure they're tired and ready for a drink.

Ok guys, so over the past couple of days I have been playing with a 30fps lock. It is definitely acceptable, especially since you do not control your camera to aim, like in FPS games. I've now gotten used to it and it doesn't feel unsmooth.

I am playing without vsync and without blur/motion blur.

Of course, nothing beats 60fps, but I'm just saying 30fps is acceptable once you get used to it in this game.

I should say, as a comparison, I played through Skyrim multiple times with an ENB locked at 30 fps -- as the extra graphics load could cause large fluctuations in framerate. (29.94 fps, to be precise.) Always looked and felt 100% solid to me! No stuttering ever.

Ok guys, so over the past couple of days I have been playing with a 30fps lock. It is definitely acceptable, especially since you do not control your camera to aim, like in FPS games. I've now gotten used to it and it doesn't feel unsmooth.

I am playing without vsync and without blur/motion blur.

Of course, nothing beats 60fps, but I'm just saying 30fps is acceptable once you get used to it in this game.

Are you playing with mouse and keyboard or a controller?

I'm for anything that changes the annoying tendency for npcs mouths to keep moving for ten minutes after the speaking stops. ALthough for a long time I amused myself by pretending it was a Godzilla film or something.

Top Bottom