Triss Merigold (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate portals. (c) Geralt.

Wow everyones pics form w2 look so much better than when I play witcher 2 ---- well new laptop arrives today so I can max out everything and see.

Did any of you guys use mods to improve witcher 2 graphics??
Nah, the witcher 2 still killing my graphic card up to this day :lol:

Yeah why does Geralt hate portals? Is it something from the books?

He see one man cut by half while teleport. Geralt see the upper-half, while the lower nowhere to be seen ...

It's disappointing because she'd become almost as an iconic a figure as Geralt. She's definitely the Trilogy's second most important character and then to reduce her involvement so heavily just made no sense. Triss has a marketability about her than no other female character in the series can achieve, simply by grace of her figure.

I have probably done enough rants on this, but screw it....

As has been said, you don't go from being the second main character (yes the second main) of the previous games to a character that is barely involved and when involved, has little to no interactions.....i don't know why CDPR decided to make the final game of the trilogy less story driven then the others, i mean everytime they said this could be considered a standalone game, i just brushed it off thinking they were only saying that to not worry any newcomers, little did i know that the Witcher 2 and the choices in that would have little influence on this game.

You are right, she is iconic and when people look back on the trilogy, they will remember and see how important Triss was to the games, similar to how important Yen was to the books.....there is no sense in making the final game of the trilogy where they had to bring in new characters and established characters and throw a lot of them away and their involvement, when as shown in these Triss threads, they were ways to implement more for a character like Triss (and other threads on how to implement more content for other characters),

The games made Triss more popular and in return for a fictional character she gained a lot of fans, so it is disappointing to know that while there were great moments with her in the game, and the focus on her in previous games - it just doesn't come together in what i would consider a consistent, natural, realistic story arc. The ball is in CDPR's court to see what they do for characters like Triss/Yen/Ciri in future dlc.

Nah, the witcher 2 still killing my graphic card up to this day :lol:

He see one man cut by half while teleport. Geralt see the upper-half, while the lower nowhere to be seen ...

Thanks for the replies :)

Yeah W2 graphics still look super good even today.

Triss still looks amazing in it, - esp compared to W1

It's disappointing because she'd become almost as an iconic a figure as Geralt. She's definitely the Trilogy's second most important character and then to reduce her involvement so heavily just made no sense. Triss has a marketability about her than no other female character in the series can achieve, simply by grace of her figure.

Triss?The second most important character in the trilogy?You wish.

As has been said, you don't go from being the second main character (yes the second main) of the previous games to a character that is barely involved and when involved, has little to no interactions.....i don't know why CDPR decided to make the final game of the trilogy less story driven then the others, i mean everytime they said this could be considered a standalone game, i just brushed it off thinking they were only saying that to not worry any newcomers, little did i know that the Witcher 2 and the choices in that would have little influence on this game.

The bold part is where CDPR fail:
-They fail to make newcomer understand Yen (did i need to say anything about this :()
-They fail to make newcomer understand relationship with Triss (the result is many call her angel in Witcher world ...)
-Etc :p

Conclusion, the game fail as standalone. Want to fully understand the story ?
-Play Witcher 1 and 2
-Read the books
-Or al least have some knowledge about this :)
Triss?The second most important character in the trilogy?You wish.
Because she heavily presence in all 3 games... And in the first two she is the second most important no doubt

All right in Witcher 3:
-Geralt and Ciri are main character
-While Triss and Yen are the second most important
This is my opinion of course, and i know you have a different one in this matter :p

I have probably done enough rants on this, but screw it....

You are right, she is iconic and when people look back on the trilogy, they will remember and see how important Triss was to the games, similar to how important Yen was to the books.....there is no sense in making the final game of the trilogy where they had to bring in new characters and established characters and throw a lot of them away and their involvement, when as shown in these Triss threads, they were ways to implement more for a character like Triss (and other threads on how to implement more content for other characters),

The games made Triss more popular and in return for a fictional character she gained a lot of fans, so it is disappointing to know that while there were great moments with her in the game, and the focus on her in previous games - it just doesn't come together in what i would consider a consistent, natural, realistic story arc. The ball is in CDPR's court to see what they do for characters like Triss/Yen/Ciri in future dlc.

Well since we're on a rant, let me get this one out of my system. For me, the big disappointment in this game is that everything about the story seems designed to pander to new customers and book readers whilst completely marginalising those of us who made CDPR what they are today. Without us buying the previous two games, they'd still be some tiny little outfit scraping out a living somewhere in Poland - if they were still in business at all. To then treat us as if nothing we'd done prior was important was outrageous.

I wanted my choices to count. I wanted how I'd played the game in the previous two games to mean something and I start up the game and find everything I'd done before was of no consequence and that I'm being forced in to decisions I did not make, would not make, and do not want to make, i.e. a friggin Yen romance when I have precisely zero interest in that. I've said before and I'll say it again, those of us who played the previous games and made choices involving Triss were hugely disrespected by CDPR and it pisses me off no end.

The worst part about this is I believe they still don't get this. They think it's some kind of Teenage Triss crush when it's not, it's about completing our own personal stories. That's what Role Playing games are meant to be about. Allowing the player to craft their own story within the world setting presented to us. I'm really not hopeful that we'll see anything other than the most minor changes made because everything about this game says "screw you, you're having Yen whether you like it or not".

Last edited:
-They fail to make newcomer understand Yen (did i need to say anything about this :()
-They fail to make newcomer understand relationship with Triss (the result is many call her angel in Witcher world ...)
-Etc :p

-Play Witcher 1 and 2
-Read the books
-Or al least have some knowledge about this :)

Because she heavily presence in all 3 games... And in the first two she is the second most important no doubt

All right in Witcher 3:
-Geralt and Ciri are main character
-While Triss and Yen are the second most important
This is my opinion of course, and i know you have a different one in this matter :p

Some people think that she's important just because she's a love interest.In TW1 she's definitely more important than in other two games,but her role is still pretty minimal.She's important in the prologue and act 3 and barely present(or not present at all)in other acts.Characters like Alvin,Shani,Yaevinn,Siegfrid,Kalkstein ect have just as big if not bigger role.In TW2 Triss spends more then half of the game captured.And in TW3 she has almost the same amount of screentime and importance as Keira Metz.

-They fail to make newcomer understand Yen (did i need to say anything about this )
-Etc

-Play Witcher 1 and 2
-Read the books
-Or al least have some knowledge about this

The game fails as a sequel to the previous games...it is more heavily influenced by the books than the Witcher 1 and 2. I would even dare to say that as long as you read the books, you will have a better time understanding this game, while those that didn't read the books but played the previous games would struggle and have a harder time of understanding why character x is important or more important to character y.

Newcomers would imo be more inclined to choose Yen as the romance option (should they choose an option), simply because her story/romance arc was more fleshed out - it wasn't perfect by any means but when compared to the Triss romance, then the bias seems a bit more obvious. Some newcomers may choose Triss simply because they like her personality better....to each his own......but if they did they would most likely notice an inconsistency here or there.

Again this could be more of a problem with focusing too much on the open world aspect rather than character development - and character development is one of the (if not the most) important parts of any Witcher medium, be it book, game, movie etc. Imo and i know some will disagree, there should of been more resources put towards the plot and character development...so that way previous fans and newcomers would have a better understanding of the characters in the game and their motives, and to make a satisfying conclusion to the trilogy especially when we won't see another Witcher game for a while if they ever decide to do another one down the road in the future.

Some people think that she's important just because she's a love interest.In TW1 she's definitely more important than in other two games,but her role is still pretty minimal.She's important in the prologue and act 3 and barely present(or not present at all)in other acts.Characters like Alvin,Shani,Yaevinn,Siegfrid,Kalkstein ect have just as big if not bigger role.In TW2 Triss spends more then half of the game captured.And in TW3 she has almost the same amount of screentime and importance as Keira Metz.

Total screen time doesn't equal importance.

In W2 although she was absent for half the game she was absolutely central to the plot.

But I will say in W3 Most important characters are 1) Geralt/Ciri 2)Yennefer 3)Probably Avallach 4)Could fit Triss here maybe.

Last edited:
Well since we're on a rant, let me get this one out of my system. For me, the big disappointment in this game is that everything about the story seems designed to pander to new customers and book readers whilst completely marginalising those of us who made CDPR what they are today. Without us buying the previous two games, they'd still be some tiny little outfit scraping out a living somewhere in Poland - if they were still in business at all. To then treat us as if nothing we'd done prior was important was outrageous.

I wanted my choices to count. I wanted how I'd played the game in the previous two games to mean something and I start up the game and find everything I'd done before was of no consequence and that I'm being forced in to decisions I did not make, would not make, and do not want to make, i.e. a friggin Yen romance when I have precisely zero interest in that. I've said before and I'll say it again, those of us who played the previous games and made choices involving Triss were hugely disrespected by CDPR and it pisses me off no end.

The worst part about this is I believe they still don't get this. They think it's some kind of Teenage Triss crush when it's not, it's about completing our own personal stories. That's what Role Playing games are meant to be about. Allowing the player to craft their own story within the world setting presented to us. I'm really not hopeful that we'll see anything other than the most minor changes made because everything about this game says "screw you, you're having Yen whether you like it or not".

Nobody is forcing you to romance Yen.You can actually break up with her(something that we couldn't do with Triss in the previous games)and live a happy life with Triss in Kovir.

---------- Updated at 10:45 AM ----------

Total screen time doesn't equal importance.

In W2 although she was abesent for half the game she was absolutely central to the plot.

But I will say in W3 Most important characters are 1) Geralt/Ciri 2)Yennefer 3)Probably Avallach 4)Could fit Triss here maybe.

Yes she was important in TW2,but Roche,Iorveth,Saskia,Letho,Henselt,Philippa,Sheala,Dethmold,Zoltan were just as if not more important.Triss was never a main character in any of the games,she was always a supporting character.

Newcomers would imo be more inclined to choose Yen as the romance option (should they choose an option), simply because her story/romance arc was more fleshed out - it wasn't perfect by any means but when compared to the Triss romance, then the bias seems a bit more obvious. Some newcomers may choose Triss simply because they like her personality better....to each his own......but if they did they would most likely notice an inconsistency here or there.
Agree with you. but need 1 fix here, IMO newcomer first come to Norvigad, get crush by Triss's charming personality, process to romance her. Then go to Skellige, they love Yen *don't know the word* character, you know what happen next. Then come Act 3: The Regret.

Well, but like you said, in playthrough 2 they choose Yen :(

Yes she was important in TW2,but Roche,Iorveth,Saskia,Letho,Henselt,Philippa,Sheala,Dethmold,Zoltan were just as if not more important.Triss was never a main character in any of the games,she was always a supporting character.
Hmm, i thought we talk about the second most important in the game ?

And everyone is supporting character for Geralt take a main show there (only in Witcher 3 it different :p)

Nobody is forcing you to romance Yen.You can actually break up with her(something that we couldn't do with Triss in the previous games)and live a happy life with Triss in Kovir.

For me it make sense for Triss and Geralt have some feeling while the two serve Foltest's court together.

But right when you have control of Geralt, you can get some distance with her if you like (because Geralt remember Yen). No time for official break-up in Witcher 2 timeline yet, and finally we have off-screen one ...

Last edited:

A character appearing or not appearing on screen has nothing to do with their importance. Triss' importance in TW2 comes from the player's choice to have Geralt's search to find and rescue her. TW2 is a love story in a way the games either side of it never were. Just because Triss doesn't appear on screen does not make her any less important a figure. The best love stories are those that don't show both lovers on screen but rather show love triumphing through adversity. That's what TW2 does and that's what makes Triss so important to the trilogy.

---------- Updated at 10:49 AM ----------

Yes they are, just in a subtle way. The game pushes you continually towards that romance by marginalising Triss and giving you no options to correct those NPCs who continually reference a non-existent romance with Yen. All the way through the game it's being rammed down your throat that this is your romance whether you like it or not.

---------- Updated at 10:45 AM ----------

Hahahah No are you serious, they were never as important, they were means to an end of finding Triss - Which was the main goal of the entire game!

You can't say they were more important than the main goal, that makes no sense.

Agree with you. but need 1 fix here, IMO newcomer first come to Norvigad, get crush by Triss's charming personality, process to romance her. Then go to Skellige, they love Yen *don't know the word* character, you know what happen next. Then come Act 3: The Regret.

Well, but like you said, in playthrough 2 they choose Yen
]

Well that may happen, and i know a few that did that....but the point is because the Yen romance arc feels a bit more 'default' they may go for that especially if they did Skellige before the now or never quest......the problem is that a lot of characters are relegated and made to feel redundant.....Triss should be a major character (fourth main character) but the content states otherwise, Ciri didn't really have much interactions with people like Yen/Triss, Avallach was more important towards the end than the likes of Yen and Triss (from what i saw), Fringilla says like two lines in the entire game, Iorveth and Saskia are nowehere to be found, Djikstra goes crazy after killing Radovid just to force the player into a 'difficult' choice and Eredin was the main villian? come on, Lambert's jokes were more threatening than Eredin was (just my opinion of course). Either way the character development isn't that great and newcomers are less likely to choose Triss (not all but i suspect the majority) because they want to get the most out of the story and the inconsistencies disrupt that when choosing Triss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom