Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

---------- Updated at 06:22 PM ----------

---------- Updated at 06:23 PM ----------

Waiting for Geralt.

I told you yesterday I was going to post something more meaningful, and here we go.

First of all, I'd like to warn you - pretty much none of the following wasn't posted here before, so pretty much none of it is new to you. I even thought of just compiling all those great ideas you came up with and add my full agreement ... But that would've meant I'd have to skim through all those 600+ pages, and just the thought of it ensured more nightmares than @Krull32's posts yesterday.
Second, I'd like to apologize for my English. It's written down in my Abitur certificate I should be able to communicate on C1 level, but well - I have no idea who made that up at all.
And third - let's start with the meaningful stuff, just as I promised you.

1) Why do I like Yennefer?

Easy question: Because I simply like her. (Surprise!)
More seriously: I have written this before (not necessarily in this thread, but somewhere on the forums), so if anyone feels bored and wants to skip it, feel free to do so.

When I was a little child, made up characters (and no, they weren't named Johnny) were my daily companions. Looking back, I now realize I was longing for an ideal family instead of mine that was a real mess, at least for a kindergarten child having to deal with the consequense of divorce.
How is that connected to my initial question, you may ask. I wrote I was looking for an ideal family, I made up one in my head. I replaced all those broken people surrounding me with strong, loving characters who were there for me when I needed them. I needed them often.
When I got older, that need and this longing deceased, maybe because I began to accept the changed family circumstances. Or maybe because I began to understand? No matter what, those strong characters accompanied me nevertheless. They were the first protagonists of the stories I began to write when I was eleven.
Later someone told me it's refreshing to see all those stronf female characters acting in those stories. Guess what happened? I grew fond of all strong female (and male) characters, because I grew up among women who had to manage their lives on their own, without a 'strong shoulder' to lean on. I learned how to be like that as well, and I was taught how not to turn into a ... dolly girl? (well, naives Püppchen, again), because it's simply no good.
So, to cut a long story short, one of the reasons - or maybe even THE reason - why I like Yennefer is simply - identification.

Yennefer is a strong women, ready to deal with all odds on her own and - what's important - she doesn't rely on anybody, may it be someone male or female, to get her things done. If someone helps her, it's because she a) lets this someone help her (out of affection, e.g.) or b) she realized she wouldn't be able to do whatever she has to do on her own.
She knows she has power and knows how to use it, but she's also aware of the limitations of her power (although she's trying to overcome those limits - Granica możliwości, just saying). This ability may be one of the key abilities to live a self-confident life.

Some people said she's emotionally cold, but I couldn't disagree more on that.
She's afraid to show emotions, that's for sure, because showing emotions may be perceived as being weak. That is not hers, but society's problem.
People - also and especially in our society - are expected to be friendly and polite no matter what, even though your inner voice tells you to tear something down or cry out loud. Otherwise you're kind of screwed - one misstep because of your emotions, and the other people surrounding you won't forgive you that. Never. Being afraid of showing emotions in public keeps your own position safe.
Some people are not able to show emotions in private, either. They're so afraid how others could react they don't want to risk anything. What if your reaction disappoints the people you deeply love? What if it scares them off?
I myself have problems of showing emotions in public as well as in private. When I approve something, I do my best to smile, to show my approval, but others think I don't. When I'm really happy about something, I'm happy about it deep down, but others would think I'm not. This goes on and on. But other than Yennefer, I don't have that much self-control, that's why sometimes emotions are simply coming out of me, unlike her.

Another thought that came into my mind while thinking about Yennefers character was the following. What if she developed a strong fear of losing someone?
Yennefer is, as it was said before, in no way emotionally cold. Just remember her time with Ciri in Ellander. Or Thannedd. Or castle Stygga. A person who's emotionally cold wouldn't give a damn about another person (like Ciri) or those events. A person who's afraid of being hurt, alas, would probably react like Yennefer does - be as aloof as possible, don't show your affection, tell yourself you're not affected, but at the same time deeply loving the people she's caring for.

For me it's easy to identify with such a character, for none of those feelings I mentioned above are unknown to me.

2) How do I like her protrayal in TW3?
(Note: I haven't played TW3. Yet. But I'm familiar with most of the game due to different walkthroughs and Let's Plays and the great job I was doing to spoil myself.)

Said in a nutshell, it's okay.

Actually, I was really afraid when her appearance was announced in the SoD trailer. I mean, Yen and Ciri in the games? How should that work?
Later, when the game came out I was pleased from what I saw of her.

I had the feeling she is portrayed a bit softer and more likeable than in the (first) books. I won't speculate about how this is possibly a choice to convince gamers who never read the books to romance her, but as it was still Yennefer, I was okay with that.
Playing TW2 first and then starting to read the books, I hated Yennefer at first. I couldn't understand her motivations, I couldn't understand Geralts love to her, but as soon I got to know her character better, my hatred faded into ... well, identification.

If you ask me, the Geralt-Yennefer relationship is handled well. They have their bantering, their passion and their understanding for one another.
As it was said before, that doesn't occur for the Yennefer-Ciri relationship. More mother-daughter bond would be nice, and I'd sign a lot of that what was said before on that matter.
And I'm convinced the game's lacking Yen-Triss confrontation. I mean - even if you argue game-Yennefer is a contuniation of Lady of The Lake-Yennefer, which was already softer than The Last Wish-Yennefer, Yennefer would never forgive Triss that easily. In the end of The Lady of The Lake they were pretty much about to fight each other, but Geralt just managed to catch a pitchfork in time.

That's all from me today.

Thanks for reading that wall, I hope I was able to make myself somehow understandable.
Ahh, and for those who like to look at something:

I was looking forward for your comment and it was great read! :like:

New update on the official facebook page - A modern take on Yennefer by Inka Wybierała. #FanArtFriday

WTF is that? There are tons of better artworks of Yen and they chose again some evilish medusa portrait...

lol the first comment is also nice:
"She's a bloody mess"

:D great!

Well, you know ... some people have a certain image of her ... including blue medusa hair.

http://polygamia.pl/Polygamia/1,964...zyli-wiedzmin-3-chwytajacy-za-serce.html?bo=1

^Here's a nice Polish article about Priscilla's song

Aleksandra Motyka, the author of the lyrics, says (more or less, this is my lame translation :D ) :" Transforming Geralt&Yennefer's love story into a ballad was a very ambitious task, but I approached it with an enthusiasm of a hardcore book-fan, as I've just read the whole saga all over again. I was optimistic that I would be able to describe this extraordinary feeling that tied the witcher and the sorceress -just like Jaskier(Dandelion) would.if both of them decided to confide in him openly"

Aleksandra was also responsible for most of Priscilla's lines ;) When she was writing the song's lyrics, she didn't take into consideration the fact that it's going to be translated into English and other languages - which helped her a lot :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom