Votes: 28 6.9%
  • Ida Emean

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Assire var Anahid

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Fringilla Vigo

Votes: 77 18.9%

• Total voters
You get what you deserve To me, the big mistake from Fringie and Triss is putting their trust in the Lodge under Philippa's leadership.... To much submission for me. The Yen's rebeld acts stole my heart.
That's the whole point though, the lodge comes first, even Phillipa gives in to Sile's advice to let Yen sit at the table towards the end of the book.

Still she did more good for him,than he did for her

Well he did call her Yennefer while fucking her brains out so I guess that's something. ;) I mean you don't get to hear such a nice compliment that often do you?

Last edited:
A quote from Philippa at the end of the game, I can't remember the exact wording but something like "I'm only interested if I get the deciding vote". I think book Philippa is the same. Philippa considers her lodge to come first. Allowing others to take the stage is manipulation, and remember as far as Philippa is concerned; she is a manipulator first and vindictive second. Allowing Yenn to join fits this. Plus it brings Ciri one step closer, what she did not bank on is Ciri's stubbornness and Triss putting Ciri before the lodge.

Last edited:
You get what you deserve To me, the big mistake from Fringie and Triss is putting their trust in the Lodge under Philippa's leadership.... To much submission for me. The Yen's rebeld acts stole my heart.

Fringilla was the one who helped Yen escape the Lodge.She earned some major points from me for doing that.

What people need to understand about Philippa is that despite her being a power hungry manipulating bitch etc;
she undoubtedly has some qualities. I would like to point out her good common sense and her sense of justice.

She wouldn't use Cirilla against her own will, she would of course try to manipulate her as much as possible, but she wouldn't go that far and try to deceive or abuse her, even if she was given a chance to and it would benefit the Lodge.

Here is an extract from Lady of the Lake which explains my thoughts a bit. Fucking huge book spoilers ahead.

Yennefer was right when she did not allow her to wear male clothing. Ciri would have

felt foolish dressed as a boy among these elegant ladies. She was glad that she gave in to the

combination of black and grey, it flattered her and she could fell the approval when they saw

the puffy sleeves and clinched waist and the small brooch in the shape of a rose.

‘Come closer please.’

Ciri shivered slightly. It was not just the sound of the voice. Yennefer, as it turned out,

was right about her neckline. Ciri had insisted thought, and now she had the impression that

she could feel a draft on her breast all the way down to her navel, and was covered in goose bumps.

‘Closer still,’ said the dark-haired and dark-eyed woman whom Ciri remembered from the

island of Thanedd. And though Yennefer had taught her all the names of the women she

would meet in this castle, Ciri immediately though of her as Lady Owl.

‘We welcome you,’ Lady Owl said. ‘To the Lodge in Montecalvo, Ciri.’

Ciri bowed as instructed by Yennefer, politely, but without lowering her eyes modestly

like a maiden.

It was answered with a sincere smile from Triss Merigold and a nod and a friendly look

from Margarita Laux-Antille. The looks from the other women where hard as augers. As the

blade of a piercing spear.

‘Sit down,’ Lady owl nodded towards a seat. ‘No, not you, Yennefer! Only her.

You, Yennefer, are not an invited guest, but are summoned to be tried and punished

as a wrongdoer. You’ll stand for as long as it takes the Lodge to decide your fate.’

In a twinkling of an eye, Ciri ended protocol.

‘In that case, I will stand also,’ she said in a loud voice. ‘I have not come as a guest. I too,

was summoned to decide my fate. That’s the first thing. The second thing is that Yennefer’s

fate is linked with mine. We are inextricably linked and that cannot be changed... With all

due respect.’

Margarita Laux-Antille smile and looked her in the eyes. The simple yet elegant, Assire

var Anahid, a Nilfgaardian with a slightly aquiline nose, nodded and tapped her fingers gently

on the table’s surface.

‘Philippa,’ said a woman with a silver fox boa around her neck. ‘I think that in this

respect we should not go to extremes. At this point it is not necessary. This is the round table

of the Lodge, and all who sit at it are equals – even when one of us is on trial. I think that we

can agree...’

She did not finish, she glanced at all the sorceresses. One by one, they all nodded their

heads in agreement – Margarita, Triss, Assire, Sabrina Glevissig, Keira Metz and both elves.

Only the second Nilfgaardian, the dark-haired Fringilla Vigo did not give an affirmative nod,

she was pale as death as she stared at Yennefer.

‘So be it,’ Philippa Eilhart waved her hand. ‘Sit, both of you. But know that I am against

it. But the unity of the Lodge and its interests are most important. The Lodge is everything,

the rest is nothing. I hope you understand, Ciri?’

‘Perfectly,’ Ciri said, not looking away from her gaze. ‘Especially since I am supposed to

be the nothing.’

The beautiful queen of the elves, Francesca Findabair laughed.

‘Congratulations, Yennefer,’ she said in her hypnotically deep and melodious voice.

‘I noticed you left your mark. This is gold. I recognise the school.’

‘It’s easy to recognise,’ Yennefer looked around with fiery eyes, ‘because it is the school

of Tissaia de Vries.’

‘Tissaia de Vries is dead,’ Lady Owl said calmly. ‘We mourn her, and gladly. Her death,

however, was a turning point. Now is a new time and big changes are coming. You, Ciri, you

were once Princess Cirilla of Cintra, but fate has now given you a different role. Surely you

already know what it is.’

‘I know,’ said Ciri, not listening to the warning hiss from Yennefer. ‘Vilgefortz explained

it to me! He was going to stick a glass tube between my legs. If this is to be the fate that

awaits me, then thank you very much.’

Philippa’s dark eyes blazed with frosty fury.

But it was Sile de Tansarville that spoke next to Ciri.

‘You still have a lot to learn, girl,’ she said, covering her neck with her silver fox boa.

‘Many of the things you have seen and heard you will need to unlearn. Alone or with

assistance. You have acquired a lot of bad habits, no doubt because of the evil you have

experienced in this world. But this is childish stubbornness, and now you can’t see that when

someone only has your best interests at heart. You lash out around you with your claws like a

wild kitten, so you have given us no choice. We will take you by the neck and treat you like a

child, without a second thought. Because we are older, wiser and we know everything about

what was, what is and we know a lot about what will be. We will take you by the neck like a

child, so one day when you are a wise cat, you will sit here at this table, among us. One of us.

No! Not a word! Do not dare open your mouth while Sile de Tansarville speaks.’

The sorceress from Kovir voice was sharp and penetrating as a knife scratching on iron,

and hung over the table. Ciri was not the only one to shrink and draw he head down between

her shoulders but other magicians of the Lodge as well, with maybe the exception of

Philippa, Francesca and Assire. And Yennefer.

‘You are right,’ said Sile, adjusting the boa around her neck again, ‘you were called to

Montecalvo to meet your fate. But you were not right when you complained that you are

nothing. You are everything, you are the world’s future. At this point in time, you cannot

even understand, because you are just a kitten, a child who sees everyone as Vilgefortz or

Emhyr var Emries. At this point, it is not worth explaining that you are wrong. This is all for

your sake and for the sake of the world. There will time for such explanations later. For now,

you do not want to hear the voice of reason, and you riposte every argument with a child’s

stubbornness. So now you’ll be taken by the neck. I’m done. Philippa, declare the girl’s fate.’

‘You are coming with me,’ Lady Owl said, breaking the heavy silence, ‘and Sile to Kovir,

to Pont Vanis, the summer capital of the kingdom. As you are no longer Cirilla of Cintra,

during the course of the audience you will be presented as an adept of magic, being protected

by us. At that audience you will meet a very wise king, Esterad Thyssen. You will meet his

wife, the Queen Zuleyka, a person of singular nobility and goodness. You will also meet their

son and heir, Prince Tancred.’

Ciri was beginning to understand and rolled her eyes. Lady Owl did not miss that detail.

‘Yes,’ she confirmed. ‘First of all you must impress prince Tancred. because you are

going to become his lover and give him a child.’

‘If you were still Cirilla of Cintra,’ Philippa continued after a long pause, ‘still the

daughter of Pavetta and granddaughter of Calanthe, you would become Prince Tancred’s

legal wife. You’d be the princess and later the queen of Poviss and Kovir. Unfortunately,

and I tell you with genuine regret, fate has deprived you of everything. Including your future.

You will only be his mistress. His favourite.’

‘In name,’ interjected Sile, ‘and formally. In practice, we will in fact, endeavour to ensure

that you are beside Tancred with the status of princess and later eventually queen. Naturally,

we will need your help. Tancred has to want to have you by his side. Day and night. We will

show you how to stimulate that desire, but it is up to your to bear the fruit of our teachings.’

‘All this is not important, at the end of the day,’ said Lady Owl. ‘The important thing is

that you get pregnant to Tancred as soon as possible.’

‘Yeah, sure,’ muttered Ciri.

‘Yours and Tancred’s child,’ Philippa watched here with dark eyes, ‘will ensure the future

and status of this Lodge. Take note that it will be a great thing. You will be a part of it,

because right after the birth you will sit with us at this table. We will teach you. You are one

of us, even if you do not want to admit it yet.’

‘On the island of Thanedd,’ ciri overcame the tightness in her throat, ‘you said I was

a mindless tool, even a monster, Lady Owl and now you say that I am one of you.’

‘There is not that much difference,’ the Daisy of the valley said in a ringing voice.

‘We, me luned, are all monsters. Each in our own way. Is that not right, Lady Owl?’

Philippa shrugged.

‘That ugly scar on your face,’ Sile said indifferently, ‘we will magically remove or

disguise. You will be a beautiful and mysterious woman, and I guarantee that Tancred

Thyssen will go crazy for you. We will have to invent some personal details. Cirilla is a nice

name and not so rare, so you can keep it. But you still need a last name. I would not be

against it, if you used mine.’

‘Or mine,’ Lady Owl said covering the smile on the corner of her lips. ‘Cirilla Eilhart also

sounds nice.’

‘That name,’ the hall rang with the silvery voice of the elven queen, ‘is pretty in any

combination. And each of us here would love to have a daughter like you, Zireael, Swallow

with the eyes of a hawk. You are the body and the blood of Lara Dorren. Each of us would

give everything, even this Lodge and the fate of the kingdoms around the world, to have such

a daughter. However, it is impossible. We know that it is impossible. So we envy Yennefer.’

‘Thank you, Lady Philippa,’ Ciri said after a few moments, squeezing the head of the

sphinxes in her hands. ‘I also feel honoured with the proposal to take the surname de

Tansarville. However, it seems to me that my new last name is the only thing that I can

choose for myself, I thank the two mistresses. But I want to be called Cirilla of Vengerberg,

daughter of Yennefer.’

‘Ha!’ a sorceress flashed her teeth, who Ciri guessed to be Sabrina Glevissig of Kaedwen.

‘Tancred Thyssen will be a fool if he does not marry her. If he instead choose another

princess, he would be a fool and blind, not to recognise the diamond among the glass beads

Yenna, I envy you. And you know how sincere I can be with my envy.’

Yennefer thanked her with a gesture. Without a shadow of a smile.

‘So,’ Philippa said, ‘all is taken care of.’

‘No,’ said Ciri.

Francesca Findabair snorted quietly. Sile de Tansarville raised her head and her

expression hardened.

‘I have to think about it,’ Ciri said. ‘Meditate. Put my thoughts in order. Calmly. And

when I’m done I will come back here, to Montecalvo, and come before this Lodge and

discuss what has been decided.’

Sile moved her lips, as if she had noticed a bad taste in her mouth and wanted to sit it out

immediately. But she remained silent.

‘I have to meet,’ continued Ciri, ‘with the witcher Geralt in the city of Rivia. I promised

that I would be there and that Yennefer would accompany me. I will fulfil my promise, with

or without your consent. Lady Rita, here knows that, when I go to Geralt, I can always find

a hole in the wall.’

Margarita Laux-Antille nodded with a smile.

‘I need to talk to Geralt. Say goodbye to him. And tell him the truth. You should know

one thing, ladies. When we left castle Stygga, leaving behind their dead and ours, I asked

Geralt if it was all over, if we had won, if evil was defeated then good had prevailed. He did

not answer, he just smiled a sad smile. I thought it was from fatigue and the sorrow of leaving

all his friends buried under the walls. Only now I know what his smile meant. It was a

sympathetic smile at the naivety of a child who believed that killing Vilgefortz and Bonhart

represented the triumph of good over evil. have to try and convince Geralt that what you

ladies want to do with me, differs substantially from what Vilgefortz wanted to do with his

glass tube. I’ll try and explain to him the differences between castle Montecalvo and castle

Stygga, although Vilgefortz thought he was doing was for the good of the world and you

ladies also do for the good of the world. I know it is not going to be easy to convince as old

wolf like Geralt. Geralt will say that I’m a brat and can easily be fooled into doing noble

things. But I have to try. It is important that he understand it, that he accepts it. It is very

important. Also for you ladies.’

‘You did not understand,’ Sile de Tansarville snapped sharply. ‘You’re still a snotty nosed

girl who replaced whining with arrogance. The only thing that gives me some hope is the

acumen of your mind. You learn quickly. Believe me, you will soon laugh at the stupid things

you have said here. Relative to your trip to Rivia, I express my strong opposition. It is a

matter of principle, to prove to you that I, Sile de Tansarville, never talk to the wind.

That I can grab the necks of the rebellious. It is for your own good, to learn discipline.’

‘Therefore, let us resolve this issue,’ said Philippa Eilhart, placing her hands on the table.

‘Let each of us express our opinion. Should we allow this arrogant maid, Ciri, to travel to

Rivia? To meet with the witcher, for whom there is no place in her life? Are we to allow this

sentimentality, which we will soon have to rid her of? Sile is against.

What about the other ladies?’

‘I am also against,’ Sabrina Glevissig announced. ‘Also as a matter of principle. The girl,

I like. I like her arrogance and stubbornness, it is better than flabby softness. I have nothing

against her pleading. I have no doubt that she would return - I respect her word. But the girl

has dared to threaten. So let her know that threats are no to be tolerated.’

‘I’m against it,’ said Keira Metz. ‘For purely practical reasons. I also like the girl and

Geralt delivered me out of the hands of danger on Thanedd. It is a sentiment that I long ago got

rid of, but I do not deny that it was pleasant to me. I could repay him this way. But will not.

Because you are wrong, Sabrina. This girl is a witcheress and is trying to be smarter than us.

In short, she is just trying to get away.’

‘Does anyone here,’ Yennefer said ominously, dragging her words, ‘dare doubt the word

of my daughter?’

‘Be silent, Yennefer,’ Philippa hissed. ‘Do not talk, or I’ll lose patience. We have two

votes against. Let’s listen to the others.’

‘I am in favour of letting her go,’ said Triss Merigold. ‘I know her and can vouch for her.

I would also, if permitted, accompany her on this trip. To help, if I may, in her meditations

and reflections. And with her conversation with Geralt.’

‘I also vote for her,’ Margarita said with a smile. ‘You may wonder at my motivations,

ladies, but I do it for Tissaia de Vries. If Tissaia was among us she would not agree that in

order to maintain the unity of the Lodge it is necessary to use coercive methods or restriction

of personal freedom.’

‘I vote for her,’ said Francesca Findabair, adjusting the lace at her neckline. ‘I have many

reasons, but I do not wish to explain them.’

‘I vote for her,’ said Ida Emean aep Sivney. ‘So my heart dictates.’

‘I’m against it,’ Assire var Anahid said dryly. ‘I do not decide out of lack of sympathy,

antipathy or principled reasons. I fear for her life. Under the protection of the Lodge, Ciri is

safe and on the route to Rivia she will be an easy target. I fear those that stole her identity and

even her name, still don’t think that it’s enough.’

‘We have,’ Sabrina said sarcastically, ‘yet to know the opinion of Lady Fringilla Vigo.

I guess that it is obvious. We all remember the castle Rhys-Rhune.’

‘I am grateful for the reminder,’ Fringilla cocked her head proudly. ‘I am for Ciri. To prove

the admiration and affection I have for the girl. I also do it for the witcher, Geralt of

Rivia, without which the girl would not be sitting here today. To save Ciri, he went to the

edge of the world and fought everyone trying to prevent him - even himself. It would be

shameful to deny him a meeting with his daughter.’

‘I have not heard here any shameful acts,’ Sabrina said cynically. ‘But a lot of naive

sentimentality. Just such sentimentality that we want to eradicate from the girl. The results

are that the scales have settled in deadlock. We have not decided anything. We need to vote

again. I suggest that this time we do it secretly.’

‘Why?’

All looked at the one who spoke - at Yennefer.

‘I am still a member of the Lodge,’ said Yennefer. ‘I have not been deprived of

membership, you have not put anyone else in my place, so I have the right to vote. Certainly

I know how I will vote. My vote therefore pushes the scales over and settles the matter.’

‘Your insolence,’ Sabrina said, lacing her fingers together, loaded with onyx rings,

‘borders on bad taste, Yennefer.’

‘If I was in your place, madam, I would keep a discreet silence,’ Sile added gravely.

‘And be fearful of another vote, to deal with you.’

‘I voted for Ciri,’ Francesca said, ‘but you, Yennefer, I have to call to order. You ran

away from the Lodge, refusing to cooperate. But you have responsibilities and obligations,

debts that you have to repay, the verdict must be made. Otherwise you would not have been

allowed to cross the threshold of Montecalvo.’

Yennefer grabbed Ciri, who was dying to get up and scream. Finally, without resistance,

Ciri dropped back into her chair in silence. Lady Owl, suddenly rose from her seat,

dominating the whole table.

‘Yennefer,’ she proclaimed loudly, ‘you are not entitled to a vote, that is clear. But I am.

I have heard all the voices present. I guess, I will finally make my vote.’

‘Who do you vote, Philippa?’ Sabrina frowned.

Philippa Eilhart looked across the table. She met Ciri’s green eyes and stared at them.

The bottom of the pond was a multicoloured mosaic, the coloured tiles appeared to move.

Sitting on the pong creating shadows were the broad leaves of water lilies hiding goldfish.

The water’s surface reflected the dark eyes of a little girl, he long hair floated on the water.

The girl had forgotten the whole world, laying on the edge of the pool with her little hands in

the water.

She went to try and touch those gold and red fish. The fish approached her fingers and

palms, curiously circling around them, but she couldn’t catch them. They remained as elusive

as light and shadow, as the water itself. The dark-eyed girl fingers clutched emptiness.

‘Philippa!’

It was the most beloved voice in the world. And yet she was not a little girl now.

Furthermore, she was not looking into the water. The water lilies, fish and reflection were gone.

‘Philippa!’

‘Philippa!’ Sile de Tansarville’s sharp voice pulled her from her reflections. ‘We are waiting.’

Through the open window cam the cold wind of spring. Philippa Eilhart shuddered.

Death, she thought. Death has passed by my side.

‘This Lodge,’ she said at last in a firm voice, ‘is to decide the fate of the world. So, this

Lodge must reflect the world. Here, equilibrium and wisdom does not always mean cold and

selfish, calculation and vileness, and sentimentality is not always naive. On one hand, iron

discipline and on the other responsibility, resistance to violence, gentleness and trust.

Cool reason... And heart.’

‘I,’ she said into the silence that reigned after her introduction, ‘cast the last vote. I will

take into account one more thing.

An element that without balancing anything, balances everything.’

Following her gaze, everyone looked at the wall, to a mosaic of many multicolour tiles

depicted the snake Uroboros, biting it’s own tail.

‘That thing,’ she continued, staring with her dark eyes at Ciri, ‘is destiny in which I,

Philippa Eilhart have only begun to believe in recently, which I have only recently begun to

understand. Destiny is not the way to providence or comfortable fatalism. Destiny is hope.

I am full of hope that it will become what we want to happen, so I give my vote to Ciri,

Child of Destiny, Child of Hope’.

In the pillared hall of Montecalvo the was silence for a long time. from outside of the

window came the hunting cry from a sea eagle.

‘Lady Yennefer,’ Ciri whispered. ‘It means...’

‘Come, my daughter,’ Yennefer whispered back. ‘Geralt is waiting for is and it is a long road ahead.’

Last edited:
What people need to understand about Philippa is that despite her being a power hungry manipulating bitch etc;
she undoubtedly has some qualities. I would like to point out her strong common sense and her sense of justice.

She wouldn't use Cirilla against her own will, she would of course try to manipulate her as much as possible, but she wouldn't go that far and try to deceive or abuse her, even if she was given a chance to and it would benefit the Lodge.

Here is a passage from Lady of the Lake which explains this. Fucking huge book spoilers obviously.

Yennefer was right when she did not allow her to wear male clothing. Ciri would have felt foolish dressed

as a boy among these elegant ladies. She was glad that she gave in to the combination of black and grey,

it flattered her and she could fell the approval when they saw the puffy sleeves and clinched waist and

the small brooch in the shape of a rose.

‘Come closer please.’

Ciri shivered slightly. It was not just the sound of the voice. Yennefer, as it turned out, was right about her neckline.

Ciri had insisted thought, and now she had the impression that she could feel a draft on her breast all the way down

to her navel, and was covered in goose bumps. ‘Closer still,’ said the dark-haired and dark-eyed woman whom Ciri

remembered from the island of Thanedd. And though Yennefer had taught her all the names of the women she

would meet in this castle, Ciri immediately though of her as Lady Owl. ‘We welcome you,’ Lady Owl said.

‘To the Lodge in Montecalvo, Ciri.’ Ciri bowed as instructed by Yennefer, politely, but without lowering her eyes

modestly like a maiden. It was answered with a sincere smile from Triss Merigold and a nod and a friendly look

from Margarita Laux-Antille. The looks from the other women where hard as augers. As the blade of a piercing spear.

‘Sit down,’ Lady owl nodded towards a seat. ‘No, not you, Yennefer! Only her. You, Yennefer, are not an invited guest,

but are summoned to be tried and punished as a wrongdoer. You’ll stand for as long as it takes the Lodge to decide your fate.’

In a twinkling of an eye, Ciri ended protocol. ‘In that case, I will stand also,’ she said in a loud voice.

‘I have not come as a guest. I too, was summoned to decide my fate. That’s the first thing. The second thing is that Yennefer’s

fate is linked with mine. We are inextricably linked and that cannot be changed... With all due respect.’

Margarita Laux-Antille smile and looked her in the eyes. The simple yet elegant, Assire var Anahid, a Nilfgaardian with a slightly

aquiline nose, nodded and tapped her fingers gently on the table’s surface. ‘Philippa,’ said a woman with a silver fox boa around

her neck. ‘I think that in this respect we should not go to extremes. At this point it is not necessary. This is the round table of the Lodge,

and all who sit at it are equals – even when one of us is on trial. I think that we can agree...’

She did not finish, she glanced at all the sorceresses. One by one, they all nodded their heads in agreement – Margarita, Triss, Assire,

Sabrina Glevissig, Keira Metz and both elves. Only the second Nilfgaardian, the dark-haired Fringilla Vigo did not give an affirmative nod,

she was pale as death as she stared at Yennefer. ‘So be it,’ Philippa Eilhart waved her hand. ‘Sit, both of you. But know that I am

against it. But the unity of the Lodge and its interests are most important. The Lodge is everything, the rest is nothing.

I hope you understand, Ciri?’

‘Perfectly,’ Ciri said, not looking away from her gaze. ‘Especially since I am supposed to be the nothing.’

The beautiful queen of the elves, Francesca Findabair laughed.

‘Congratulations, Yennefer,’ she said in her hypnotically deep and melodious voice. ‘I noticed you left your mark. This is gold.

I recognise the school.’

‘It’s easy to recognise,’ Yennefer looked around with fiery eyes, ‘because it is the school of Tissaia de Vries.’

‘Tissaia de Vries is dead,’ Lady Owl said calmly. ‘We mourn her, and gladly. Her death, however, was a turning point.

Now is a new time and big changes are coming. You, Ciri, you were once Princess Cirilla of Cintra, but fate has now given

you a different role. Surely you already know what it is.’

‘I know,’ said Ciri, not listening to the warning hiss from Yennefer. ‘Vilgefortz explained it to me! He was going to stick

a glass tube between my legs. If this is to be the fate that awaits me, then thank you very much.’

Philippa’s dark eyes blazed with frosty fury. But it was Sile de Tansarville that spoke next to Ciri.

‘You still have a lot to learn, girl,’ she said, covering her neck with her silver fox boa.

‘Many of the things you have seen and heard you will need to unlearn. Alone or with assistance.

You have acquired a lot of bad habits, no doubt because of the evil you have experienced in this world.

But this is childish stubbornness, and now you can’t see that when someone only has your best interests at heart.

You lash out around you with your claws like a wild kitten, so you have given us no choice. We will take you by the neck

and treat you like a child, without a second thought. Because we are older, wiser and we know everything about what was,

what is and we know a lot about what will be. We will take you by the neck like a child, so one day when you are a wise cat,

you will sit here at this table, among us. One of us. No! Not a word! Do not dare open your mouth while Sile de Tansarville speaks.’

The sorceress from Kovir voice was sharp and penetrating as a knife scratching on iron, and hung over the table. Ciri was not

the only one to shrink and draw her head down between her shoulders but other magicians of the Lodge as well, with maybe

the exception of Philippa, Francesca and Assire. And Yennefer. ‘You are right,’ said Sile, adjusting the boa around her neck again,

‘you were called to Montecalvo to meet your fate. But you were not right when you complained that you are nothing.

You are everything, you are the world’s future. At this point in time, you cannot even understand, because you are just a kitten,

a child who sees everyone as Vilgefortz or Emhyr var Emries. At this point, it is not worth explaining that you are wrong.

This is all for your sake and for the sake of the world. There will time for such explanations later. For now, you do not want to

hear the voice of reason, and you riposte every argument with a child’s stubbornness. So now you’ll be taken by the neck.

I’m done. Philippa, declare the girl’s fate.’

‘You are coming with me,’ Lady Owl said, breaking the heavy silence, ‘and Sile to Kovir, to Pont Vanis, the summer capital

of the kingdom. As you are no longer Cirilla of Cintra, during the course of the audience you will be presented as an adept of magic,

being protected by us. At that audience you will meet a very wise king, Esterad Thyssen. You will meet his wife, the Queen Zuleyka,

a person of singular nobility and goodness. You will also meet their son and heir, Prince Tancred.’

Ciri was beginning to understand and rolled her eyes. Lady Owl did not miss that detail.

‘Yes,’ she confirmed. ‘First of all you must impress prince Tancred. because you are going to become his lover and give him a child.’

‘If you were still Cirilla of Cintra,’ Philippa continued after a long pause, ‘still the daughter of Pavetta and granddaughter of Calanthe,

you would become Prince Tancred’s legal wife. You’d be the princess and later the queen of Poviss and Kovir.

Unfortunately, and I tell you with genuine regret, fate has deprived you of everything. Including your future.

You will only be his mistress. His favourite.’

‘In name,’ interjected Sile, ‘and formally. In practice, we will in fact, endeavour to ensure that you are beside Tancred with the status

of princess and later eventually queen. Naturally, we will need your help. Tancred has to want to have you by his side. Day and night.

We will show you how to stimulate that desire, but it is up to your to bear the fruit of our teachings.’

‘All this is not important, at the end of the day,’ said Lady Owl. ‘The important thing is that you get pregnant to Tancred as soon as possible.’

‘Yeah, sure,’ muttered Ciri.

‘Yours and Tancred’s child,’ Philippa watched here with dark eyes, ‘will ensure the future and status of this Lodge.

Take note that it will be a great thing. You will be a part of it, because right after the birth you will sit with us at this table.

We will teach you. You are one of us, even if you do not want to admit it yet.’

‘On the island of Thanedd,’ Ciri overcame the tightness in her throat, ‘you said I was a mindless tool, even a monster, Lady Owl and now

you say that I am one of you.’

‘There is not that much difference,’ the Daisy of the valley said in a ringing voice. ‘We, me luned, are all monsters. Each in our own way.

Is that not right, Lady Owl?’ Philippa shrugged.

‘That ugly scar on your face,’ Sile said indifferently, ‘we will magically remove or disguise. You will be a beautiful and mysterious woman,

and I guarantee that Tancred Thyssen will go crazy for you. We will have to invent some personal details. Cirilla is a nice name and not so rare,

so you can keep it. But you still need a last name. I would not be against it, if you used mine.’

‘Or mine,’ Lady Owl said covering the smile on the corner of her lips. ‘Cirilla Eilhart also sounds nice.’

‘That name,’ the hall rang with the silvery voice of the elven queen, ‘is pretty in any combination. And each of us here would love to have

a daughter like you, Zireael, Swallow with the eyes of a hawk. You are the body and the blood of Lara Dorren.

Each of us would give everything, even this Lodge and the fate of the kingdoms around the world, to have such a daughter.

However, it is impossible. We know that it is impossible. So we envy Yennefer.’

‘Thank you, Lady Philippa,’ Ciri said after a few moments, squeezing the head of the sphinxes in her hands.

‘I also feel honoured with the proposal to take the surname de Tansarville. However, it seems to me that my new last name is the only thing

that I can choose for myself, I thank the two mistresses. But I want to be called Cirilla of Vengerberg, daughter of Yennefer.’

‘Ha!’ a sorceress flashed her teeth, who Ciri guessed to be Sabrina Glevissig of Kaedwen.

‘Tancred Thyssen will be a fool if he does not marry her. If he instead choose another princess, he would be a fool and blind,

not to recognise the diamond among the glass beads Yenna, I envy you. And you know how sincere I can be with my envy.’

Yennefer thanked her with a gesture. Without a shadow of a smile. ‘So,’ Philippa said, ‘all is taken care of.’

‘No,’ said Ciri.

Francesca Findabair snorted quietly. Sile de Tansarville raised her head and her expression hardened.

‘I have to think about it,’ Ciri said. ‘Meditate. Put my thoughts in order. Calmly. And when I’m done I will come back here, to Montecalvo,

and come before this Lodge and discuss what has been decided.’

Sile moved her lips, as if she had noticed a bad taste in her mouth and wanted to sit it out immediately. But she remained silent.

‘I have to meet,’ continued Ciri, ‘with the witcher Geralt in the city of Rivia. I promised that I would be there and that Yennefer would accompany me.

I will fulfil my promise, with or without your consent. Lady Rita, here knows that, when I go to Geralt, I can always find a hole in the wall.’

Margarita Laux-Antille nodded with a smile.

‘I need to talk to Geralt. Say goodbye to him. And tell him the truth. You should know one thing, ladies. When we left castle Stygga,

leaving behind their dead and ours, I asked Geralt if it was all over, if we had won, if evil was defeated then good had prevailed.

He did not answer, he just smiled a sad smile. I thought it was from fatigue and the sorrow of leaving all his friends buried under the walls.

Only now I know what his smile meant. It was a sympathetic smile at the naivety of a child who believed that killing Vilgefortz and Bonhart

represented the triumph of good over evil. I have to try and convince Geralt that what you ladies want to do with me, differs substantially

from what Vilgefortz wanted to do with his glass tube. I’ll try and explain to him the differences between castle Montecalvo and castle Stygga,

although Vilgefortz thought he was doing was for the good of the world and you ladies also do for the good of the world. I know it is not going to be

easy to convince as old wolf like Geralt. Geralt will say that I’m a brat and can easily be fooled into doing noble things. But I have to try.

It is important that he understand it, that he accepts it. It is very important. Also for you ladies.’

‘You did not understand,’ Sile de Tansarville snapped sharply. ‘You’re still a snotty nosed girl who replaced whining with arrogance.

The only thing that gives me some hope is the acumen of your mind. You learn quickly. Believe me, you will soon laugh at the stupid things

you have said here. Relative to your trip to Rivia, I express my strong opposition. It is a matter of principle, to prove to you that I, Sile de Tansarville,

never talk to the wind. That I can grab the necks of the rebellious. It is for your own good, to learn discipline.’

‘Therefore, let us resolve this issue,’ said Philippa Eilhart, placing her hands on the table. ‘Let each of us express our opinion. Should we allow this

arrogant maid, Ciri, to travel to Rivia? To meet with the witcher, for whom there is no place in her life? Are we to allow this sentimentality,

which we will soon have to rid her of? Sile is against. What about the other ladies?’

‘I am also against,’ Sabrina Glevissig announced. ‘Also as a matter of principle. The girl, I like. I like her arrogance and stubbornness,

it is better than flabby softness. I have nothing against her pleading. I have no doubt that she would return - I respect her word. But the girl

has dared to threaten. So let her know that threats are no to be tolerated.’

‘I’m against it,’ said Keira Metz. ‘For purely practical reasons. I also like the girl and Geralt delivered me out of the hands of danger on Thanedd.

It is a sentiment that I long ago got rid of, but I do not deny that it was pleasant to me. I could repay him this way. But will not.

Because you are wrong, Sabrina. This girl is a witcheress and is trying to be smarter than us. In short, she is just trying to get away.’

‘Does anyone here,’ Yennefer said ominously, dragging her words, ‘dare doubt the word of my daughter?’

‘Be silent, Yennefer,’ Philippa hissed. ‘Do not talk, or I’ll lose patience. We have two votes against. Let’s listen to the others.’

‘I am in favour of letting her go,’ said Triss Merigold. ‘I know her and can vouch for her. I would also, if permitted, accompany her on this trip.

To help, if I may, in her meditations and reflections. And with her conversation with Geralt.’

‘I also vote for her,’ Margarita said with a smile. ‘You may wonder at my motivations, ladies, but I do it for Tissaia de Vries.

If Tissaia was among us she would not agree that in order to maintain the unity of the Lodge it is necessary to use coercive methods or restriction

of personal freedom.’

‘I vote for her,’ said Francesca Findabair, adjusting the lace at her neckline. ‘I have many reasons, but I do not wish to explain them.’

‘I vote for her,’ said Ida Emean aep Sivney. ‘So my heart dictates.’

‘I’m against it,’ Assire var Anahid said dryly. ‘I do not decide out of lack of sympathy, antipathy or principled reasons. I fear for her life

Under the protection of the Lodge, Ciri is safe and on the route to Rivia she will be an easy target. I fear those that stole her identity and even

her name, still don’t think that it’s enough.’

‘We have,’ Sabrina said sarcastically, ‘yet to know the opinion of Lady Fringilla Vigo. I guess that it is obvious.

We all remember the castle Rhys-Rhune.’

‘I am grateful for the reminder,’ Fringilla cocked her head proudly. ‘I am for Ciri. To prove the admiration and affection I have for the girl.

I also do it for the witcher, Geralt of Rivia, without which the girl would not be sitting here today. To save Ciri, he went to the edge of the world

and fought everyone trying to prevent him - even himself. It would be shameful to deny him a meeting with his daughter.’

‘I have not heard here any shameful acts,’ Sabrina said cynically. ‘But a lot of naive sentimentality. Just such sentimentality that we want to eradicate

from the girl. The results are that the scales have settled in deadlock. We have not decided anything. We need to vote again.

I suggest that this time we do it secretly.’

‘Why?’

All looked at the one who spoke - at Yennefer.

‘I am still a member of the Lodge,’ said Yennefer. ‘I have not been deprived of membership, you have not put anyone else in my place,

so I have the right to vote. Certainly I know how I will vote. My vote therefore pushes the scales over and settles the matter.’

‘Your insolence,’ Sabrina said, lacing her fingers together, loaded with onyx rings, ‘borders on bad taste, Yennefer.’

‘If I was in your place, madam, I would keep a discreet silence,’ Sile added gravely. ‘And be fearful of another vote, to deal with you.’

‘I voted for Ciri,’ Francesca said, ‘but you, Yennefer, I have to call to order. You ran away from the Lodge, refusing to cooperate.

But you have responsibilities and obligations, debts that you have to repay, the verdict must be made. Otherwise you would not have been

allowed to cross the threshold of Montecalvo.’ Yennefer grabbed Ciri, who was dying to get up and scream. Finally, without resistance,

Ciri dropped back into her chair in silence. Lady Owl, suddenly rose from her seat, dominating the whole table.

‘Yennefer,’ she proclaimed loudly, ‘you are not entitled to a vote, that is clear. But I am. I have heard all the voices present.

I guess, I will finally make my vote.’

‘Who do you vote, Philippa?’ Sabrina frowned.

Philippa Eilhart looked across the table. She met Ciri’s green eyes and stared at them.

The bottom of the pond was a multicoloured mosaic, the coloured tiles appeared to move.

Sitting on the pong creating shadows were the broad leaves of water lilies hiding goldfish.

The water’s surface reflected the dark eyes of a little girl, he long hair floated on the water.

The girl had forgotten the whole world, laying on the edge of the pool with her little hands in the water.

She went to try and touch those gold and red fish. The fish approached her fingers and palms, curiously circling around them,

but she couldn’t catch them. They remained as elusive as light and shadow, as the water itself. The dark-eyed girl fingers clutched emptiness.

‘Philippa!’

It was the most beloved voice in the world. And yet she was not a little girl now.

Furthermore, she was not looking into the water. The water lilies, fish and reflection were gone.

‘Philippa!’

‘Philippa!’ Sile de Tansarville’s sharp voice pulled her from her reflections. ‘We are waiting.’

Through the open window cam the cold wind of spring. Philippa Eilhart shuddered. Death, she thought. Death has passed by my side.

‘This Lodge,’ she said at last in a firm voice, ‘is to decide the fate of the world. So, this Lodge must reflect the world.

Here, equilibrium and wisdom does not always mean cold and selfish, calculation and vileness, and sentimentality is not always naive.

On one hand, iron discipline and on the other responsibility, resistance to violence, gentleness and trust. Cool reason... And heart.’

‘I,’ she said into the silence that reigned after her introduction, ‘cast the last vote. I will take into account one more thing.

An element that without balancing anything, balances everything.’

Following her gaze, everyone looked at the wall, to a mosaic of many multicolour tiles depicted the snake Uroboros, biting it’s own tail.

‘That thing,’ she continued, staring with her dark eyes at Ciri, ‘is destiny in which i, Philippa Eilhart have only begun to believe in recently,

which I have only recently begun to understand. Destiny is not the way to providence or comfortable fatalism. Destiny is hope.

I am full of hope that it will become what we want to happen, so I give my vote to Ciri - Child of Destiny, Child of Hope’.

In the pillared hall of Montecalvo the was silence for a long time. from outside of the window came the hunting cry from a sea eagle.

‘Lady Yennefer,’ Ciri whispered. ‘It means...’

‘Come, my daughter,’ Yennefer whispered back. ‘Geralt is waiting for is and it is a long road ahead.’
Doesn't she abuse Radovid to the point where he goes insane and commits revenge genocide on mages?

‘On the island of Thanedd,’ Ciri overcame the tightness in her throat, ‘you said I was a mindless tool, even a monster, Lady Owl and now you say that I am one of you.’
‘There is not that much difference,’ the Daisy of the valley said in a ringing voice. ‘We, me luned, are all monsters. Each in our own way. Is that not right, Lady Owl?’
Philippa shrugged.

That's why Geralt is so good with sorceresses!

Doesn't she abuse Radovid to the point where he goes insane and commits revenge genocide on mages?
I do not see how she can abuse him at all (book Philippa). She was tender to him when he was teenager, and showed him magic tricks while he was small. I do not get, why RED's made Radovid crazy. He should be strong individual, powerful and cunning, he may have a disagreements about power, as Phil is power-hungry and popular amongst people (Djikstra was the one who did dirty job, like executions and other, Phil was clear as the tear of an infant in people's eyes). They could create a deeper conflict between Philippa and Radovid, based ob shared power, not his sudden craziness.

Radovid? The same Radovid who stand up watching with psyco appretiation while soldiers pull a woman's eyes out? the same who became the sacred fire in his personal inquisition? His madness weren't come from Philippa's fault but by his family crazy's blood.

@Innamoramento which is why Radovid's TW3 story makes me sadder than anything. That chess scene was so painful to watch, even Vesemir's funeral was easier.
LUB DUB LUB DUB LUB DUB LUB DUB LUB DUB LUB DUB LUB DUB LUB DUB LUB DUB

Top notch writing no idea what you are talking about.
Radovid? The same Radovid who stand up watching with psyco appretiation while soldiers pull a woman's eyes out? the same who became the sacred fire in his personal inquisition? His madness weren't come from Philippa's fault but by his family crazy's blood.
Yes, all this is a result of Phillipa abusing him.

LUB DUB LUB DUB LUB DUB LUB DUB LUB DUB LUB DUB LUB DUB LUB DUB LUB DUB

Top notch writing no idea what you are talking about.

Yes, all this is a result of Phillipa abusing him.

YEs, nothing to do about his grandfather or his father who exiles Radovid's brother and few years later attacks him .... Radovid had a happy childhood if discount Philippa, in the middle of a happy family with the best examples how to love your family and mentors... The fault is always from the teachers!!! :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom