Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Browsing ebay just found out this:

YENNEFER OF VENGERBERG'S PERFUME

LILAC AND GOOSEBERRIES

"THE LAST WISH" ARTISAN PERFUME

Wants to feel the favourite perfume of Geralt of Rivia? Now you have the possibility to acquire the perfume used by Yennefer of Vengerberg in The Witcher's series made with Lilac and Gooseberries. A love and magic sensation will invade your senses with this fragance of Lilac and gooseberries.

INCLUDES:

- A replica of Yennefer's medallion as a part of the bottle decoration.

- 100 ML of Lilac and Gooseberries perfume.

- Vintage atomizer and cristall refillable botlle.

:shock:

Seems like I know the next gift id have to buy :)

That is pretty sweet. I think my Yen would appreciate that. Thanks.

---------- Updated at 12:55 AM ----------

She still is...

One of her main qualities - she is never boring. Never.

This is the reason why a friend of mine who NEVER read the books or played the games went with Yen.

He just found them to be "good together" and "damn exciting with her" .

So at least that seems to be true even for new fans of the series.

This is not the case and clearly evidenced by the fact that Ciri has little interaction with Triss as well.

The reason the focus is on Geralt and Ciri is fairly simple. Ciri is a, if not THE focal point of the game, yet she is a character that newcomers do not know at all. Our narrative is thus focused on a character that many players had no emotional investment in prior to the game. Through the many interactions between Ciri and Geralt, we showed that Geralt cares deeply about Ciri which translates to the player understanding why Geralt is doing what he is doing and more easily relating to those feelings.

The same, incidentally, goes for Yennefer. The reason she is present in Kaer Morhen in the dream sequence at the beginning, is primarily because we need to establish that she is important to Geralt and thus why the player should care about finding her.

It is debatable if we managed it at all points throughout the game, but I did want to correct the presumption that we reduced Ciri-Yennefer interactions because of Triss or Triss fans.

Cheers.

I am sorry that I respond so late to this, especially since I was waiting for a reaction like this since weeks. I really appreciate that someone finally reacted to our concerns, but it doesn’t change the fact that people actually feel like that.

Not that it was taken from Yennefer in favour of Triss, but it wasn’t given enough to Yennefer, to make the family whole again.

She is her mother, there is nothing more extraordinary than a bond between a mother and its child. Only Geralt’s relation to her is just as important as hers, because of fate.

She was willing to die for her just like Geralt, but the game doesn’t really show that, in fact you could get the impression that only Geralt would do everything for Ciri, but this isn’t the case.

You already tried to show that Yennefer would do ANYTHING for her, but Geralt and other characters are the ones, who don’t show the same devotion like Yennefer does in some quests, which shows her in a bad light, even though you didn't want to do it. In fact they even question her almost every time and everywhere.

When Yennefer wants to lift the curse of Uma, nobody really trust her, despite she has the only solution to this problem AND it worked!!!

Who apologize to who? Yennefer does! She apologizes to them, even though she is the only one with a working solution in the end. Yes, that shows she is not that evil witch and that is good, but who apologizes to Yennefer for distrusting her, for questioning her? Nobody.

Instead Vesemir says, "Yes. Don't like it one bit. But I suppose I have to trust you."

Wow, thanks for that. Yennefer is trying to get your granddaughter back and this is how you support her? You suppose to trust her? Awesome, thanks Uncle Vesemir for being so supportive.

When Uma pukes on Yennefer, Eskel and Geralt are cleaning up. During that Eskel wonders what will happen, if Uma is Ciri, then it finally comes, the very first time Geralt can slightly defend Yennefer by saying, "I trust Yen. She knows what she's doing."

Why couldn't I say that from the very beginning?

Eskel reacts, "Don't doubt that. But do we know what she's doing? She tell you how likely this is to work?"
Before Geralt can answer, Yennefer interrupts their dialogue.

No trust, even though she only wants to do the best for Ciri.

You tried to show that, but the world, the other characters don't act accordingly to that. Even Geralt can't react accordingly to that.

We see who Yennefer is, we know who Yennefer is, we don't doubt you guys (and girls) don't know who she is, we don't doubt you guys just wanted to give her justice, her character justice, but the world around her doesn't and what hurts the most Geralt and Ciri doesn't.

I want to quote something really important from the books here:
Yes, he said in his thoughts, yes, you are correct. There's only her, her at my side, here and now, and this is all that matters. Here and now. And where she was before, with whom she was, doesn't matter in the slightest. Now, she is with me, here, among you. With me and no one else. That's what I'm thinking about; thinking about her, all the time, feeling the scent of her perfume and the warmth of her body. And you can choke on the envy.
- Times of Contempt

Where is this Geralt? Because I was ready for this, I was pumped to play this Geralt, who doesn't give a shit about what others think about him and her, because there is only her, but I had not the feeling Geralt in the game was ready for it, he never really was.

Let me tell the world that I don't fucking care what they think about me and Yennefer.

Let me say "Fuck You" in their face just like I did with Lambert (great scene by the way) or with Lupus, to defend “her honour”. Why can I be here supportive, but not in other 100 scenes?

Let me say this to Dijsktra, who dares to question my decision, who dares to tell me what is right or wrong.

I don't care what others say about Yennefer, but let me SAY IT, not doubt it.

Let me say in her face that I trust her, let me support her just the way she supports me in finding Ciri.

Let us see it, not imagine it.

On the contrary I think Yennefer had actually this kind of mind, she is the one, who is actually saying and thinking it, we need to change that quote to fit her:
Yes, she said in her thoughts, yes, you are correct. There's only him, him at my side, here and now, and this is all that matters. Here and now. And where he was before, with whom he was, doesn't matter in the slightest. Now, he is with me, here, among you. With me and no one else. That's what I'm thinking about; thinking about him, all the time, feeling the scent of sweat and the warmth of his body. And you can choke on the envy.
The Witcher 3
THAT's Yennefer in your game and this is perfect, I really feel this is her in the game. She doesn't care what others think of her, all that matters is Geralt and Ciri, but she wouldn't hurt innocents for that and you clearly showed that she never hurt one single innocent in the whole game. But just because she doesn’t care what others think that doesn’t mean she doesn’t care about others, on the contrary.

She is a mother and would feel sorrow for everyone, who has lost a child.
She is one fourth elven and she bluntly hates racism, even stopped a pogrom.
She is not religious, but she respects other people beliefs.
She is a sorceress and would despise all those hate and violence in Novigrad.
She is a woman and is proud of it.

While Geralt killed dozens of people in the whole game for the same goal, finding Ciri, without blinking with an eye.

Geralt and Yennefer are actually thinking and acting the same, both will do ANYTHING for Ciri, but even though they think the same, they are barely complementing each other in the game.
Not many times I can support her, be a help for her, be actually supportive in finding CIri:

Not just Yennefer, YOU TOO GERALT. Don't put the blame on her, you are with her, you are trusting her, you are helping her, you need her help to find Ciri.

Yes, Geralt, you are willing to do anything for some people and so is Yennefer, yet it doesn't feel like they are doing this together. It feels like Yennefer is doing it, while Geralt is just dragged along, even though he should want the same as Yennefer.

Let me be supportive to her and not question her, not doubting every move she does.

This is Yennefer and this is Geralt. They don't care about what others think of them, they only care about each other (and Ciri of course).

Give me the option to show that through the game and not just in one single one-liner.

As I was not part of the creation of most of the Yennefer content, I cannot answer as to reasons why things were done in a specific way. Marcin Blacha and the Quest Designers for the Yennefer focused Quests would be the ones who can say more about this.

I don't expect answers, i don't demand them, you don't owe me anything.

You tried to make the best game possible at the circumstances back then (and still making it better) and in fact i think i owe you something for that, my honest opinion.

Look at my first post, the one that started this thread.

Does this look like someone, who was disappointed by the game?

Someone who hated everything about the game and Yennefer and Ciri? No, not at all.

I even love the quest The Last Wish, but only in the lore-friendly version :)

I love how Yennefer looks,
I love how Yennefer behaves,
I love how she talks and speaks,
I love the quests with her,
I love the ballad about them,
I love how she looks at Ciri and Geralt,
I love how she embraced Ciri and gave a thank you kiss to Geralt,
I love her character.
The art-designer who's created Yen's character really loves her!
Geralt tells the story about ice-skating with Ciri:

Really great how they did that without motion capturing.

But not everything is perfect, what i don't love is that the world around her doesn't honour her character, doesn't honour your own work on her and as i said it hurts the most that Geralt and Ciri doesn't honour her the same way they do in the books.

I feel that i have the responsibility to say that to you, you tried to show the best Yennefer you can, but forgot the world around her.

This is the Yennefer I miss, the one you barely show, the one Geralt and Ciri don’t acknowledge. It hurts to see that Ciri doesn’t show her feelings to Yennefer the way she does to Geralt.

This is missing, seeing Yennefer and Ciri together as mother and daughter.

Aww Yen is watching Geralt with Ciri:

You could almost think Yennefer is the third wheel, not part of this.

This is how it should look like:

'Damn it! I warned you! I told you! Head up! Up, I say! Take this and put it to your nose or you'll be covered in blood! Calmly, calmly, little one, just don't faint. I'm beside you. I'm beside you . . . daughter. Hold the handkerchief. I'll just conjure up some ice . . .'
She doesn’t call her once in the whole game her daughter.
Ciri doesn’t call her once in the whole game her mother.
I don’t know how many of you have children, I don’t have any, but even then it hurts to see this or actually not see it.
“Thank you, Lady Philippa,” Ciri said after a few moments, squeezing the head of the sphinxes in her hands. “I also feel honoured with the proposal to take the surname de Tancarville. However, it seems to me that my new last name is the only thing that I can choose for myself, I thank the two mistresses.
But I want to be called Cirilla of Vengerberg, daughter of Yennefer.

Andrzej Sapkowski - The Lady of the lake

I love the Yennefer Sapkowski created. I love every single word he wrote about her.

Hell, it's hard when you realize that the game had no chance from the beginning. It was doomed to diappoint It could be the best game of the world but still would never reach the detailed world Sapkowski created on my mind. I love many aspects of Yennefer in TW3. But she's still not good enough I'm afraid.

What's worse? A relatively mediocre character you're not emotionally attached to? A character you don't know and from whom you don't expect much. Or a relatively great character that can't ever suffice? A character that has such a strong presence in your mind and imagination that every deviation from it feels double painful?

I don't know but I fear it's the latter. It's somehow like the famous uncanny valley, just in a modified form. A 90% character can be worse than a 30% one...

:coffee:

Edit: LOL, just in the moment when I wrote that apparently nothing happened one of these typically meaty @kallelinksi posts happened... :p

Last edited:
Well said.

While I believe it's fair for Triss fans ask for fixing, this is Yennefer time to shine. Triss already got two games, where Red IMO failed in showing Yennefer importance.

So, imho, Yennefer fix should come first.

@Kallelinski I know this probably isn't a great answer to any of what you put forward in your argument (which was really well written, and I slander it by giving it such a simple possibility as an answer)

It could be that CDPR simply didn't want that kind of Yen. Maybe they wanted the kind of mother who stands back a bit, like how you see Yen watching Geralt and Ciri on the boat, how she doesn't openly take part in destroying Cuntallac'hs lab, even though she could do it far better than Geralt and Ciri, instead opting for a simple, yet funny bit of destruction, drawing the beard on the portrait. Yet she's devoted, like how she risks using the mask without much word to Geralt other than 'I'm going to use the mask, meet me there' and how she runs and hugs CIri when she gets to Kaer Morhen.

It could just be a conflict of how CDPR and Sapowski thinks Yen acts, and what kind of person she is.

---------- Updated at 12:18 AM ----------

Mum spelt with an O...:exasperation:

Also out of interest, is saying Yen is no 1 mum top notch banter?

Because she did a pretty awful job, if you ask me....

Which you didn't.
Yes, the O is not right.

Yeah, what about Calanthe? After meeting her in the books, seems she moulded Ciri a fair bit too.

It could just be a conflict of how CDPR and Sapowski thinks Yen acts, and what kind of person she is.

Core problem of everything fan-fictionary...

That's also the reason why the game couldn't ever become completely "fixed". This discussion is the best proof for that. Even we "big fans" can't agree on one definite way how Yen should act in various situations. The problem is that we all have a specific Yen on our mind, in the way we interpreted and fleshed her out while reading the books. It's impossible for CDPR to get to that point if not by pure luck and condicidence for one of us.

I think we should step back from these wishes to improve characters in TW3. We only present a singular point of view in each case. And every possible change CDPR could make to the material could actually even worsen the situation for some of us. It's impossible to satisfy us all. So maybe it's better to not change anything at all here...

There are more "systemic/mechanical" issues with the game that could more easily be fixed, without the danger to actually make things worse (like the lacking choice in the last third of the game).

Core problem of everything fan-fictionary...

That's also the reason why the game couldn't ever become completely "fixed". This discussion is the best proof for that. Even we "big fans" can't agree on one definite way how Yen should act in various situations. The problem is that we all have a specific Yen on our mind, in the way we interpreted and fleshed her out while reading the books. It's impossible for CDPR to get to that point if not by pure luck and condicidence for one of us.

I think we should step back from these wishes to improve characters in TW3. We only present a singular point of view in each case. And every possible change CDPR could make to the material could actually even worsen the situation for some of us. It's impossible to satisfy us all. So maybe it's better to not change anything at all here...

There are more "systemic/mechanical" issues with the game that could more easily be fixed, without the danger to actually make things worse (like the lacking choice in the last third of the game).
Exactly, as such, I don't have much issue with Yen standing back a bit, sometimes it feels odd, a good example is when Vesemir dies, and Yen says nothing. At the same time I like the Yen that Sapowski has created, so I'm on the fence.

CDPR has to cater to all of us, and the Triss fans, and that one Keira fan ;D so I can't fault them for changing how the characters work.

At the same time I like the Yen that Sapowski has created.

Well, my point was that THIS "Sapkowski Yennefer" doesn't exist in the way we speak about here. I'm pretty sure that "my Sapkowski-Yennefer" will differ from "your Sapkowski-Yennefer" once we begin to talk about how she should exactly behave in various situations. Same is true for "CDPR's Sapkowski-Yennefer".

It was impossible from the very beginning to make her "sufficient" for all of us. She'll always stay a 90% or maybe 95% character at best for 99% of the people here - and only the lucky 1% who thinks of her in exactly the same way CDPR did is "fully" happy. There is nothing that could change that situation.

As I've said, core problem of everything fan-fictionary (especially when we talk about a subject that isn't THAT clearly defined and detailed in the first place)...

Great post

I believe that we both agree on the issue that we should have more options when interacting with Yennefer, even if we actually want the opposite (or not really, I would probably go both ways in different playthroughs) .

See I wanted the choice to not support her at all during certain decisions and even call her on it. You want a Geralt who is completely supportive of her actions. While there are some instances where this happens and both options are available(the garden scene comes to mind), There are some instances where this doesn't happen (like the one you posted) and Geralt adopts by default a more neutral, conciliatory tone.

And they advertised this game as one where we can shape Geralt our liking, I remember that video where they showed the segment of the tavern in which you could either tell those baron's men to either fuck off or invite them for a drink. There are many instances like that too so I would definitely like those when interacting with Yennefer as well.

I might be in the minority but I'd rather they expand on the interactions between the main characters either way, than give us ten more random quests. That would give me more reason for replays even if there is no "new" content.

Wow, @Kallelinski, the quality of your posts and the tenacity you display in regards to this topic is truly commendable.

While I'll always try to be neutral when it comes to this topic, I can't help but just say kudos. :)

Agreed with you! Except I'm a bit bias towards Yen than Triss (though I love Triss) hehe.

Anyway, been missing this thread for a week. Pretty sure I missed a lot of interesting stuff along the way :(

Nice post @Kallelinski :like:

Still here are some of my humble opinion

When Yennefer wants to lift the curse of Uma, nobody really trust her, despite she has the only solution to this problem AND it worked!!!
When Uma pukes on Yennefer, Eskel and Geralt are cleaning up. During that Eskel wonders what will happen, if Uma is Ciri, then it finally comes, the very first time Geralt can slightly defend Yennefer by saying, "I trust Yen. She knows what she's doing."

Why couldn't I say that from the very beginning?

Eskel reacts, "Don't doubt that. But do we know what she's doing? She tell you how likely this is to work?"
Before Geralt can answer, Yennefer interrupts their dialogue.
Nobody know this method gonna work at this point of the story, and Yennefer keep secret about it the entire time when she order Eskel, Lambert and Vesemir; nobody like when they are keeping in the dark

And yet ingame Yen show she is "straight to business " type:
-In Vizima, no time for some reunion talk, here is Ciri find her quick, i am off to Skellige <-- Need fix
-Kaer Mohen, teleport, no time to explain my plan (while it only took some hour), here is what you need to do Eskel, Lambert, Vesemir; do as i say and all will be good --> The result is Lambert and Eskel delay "their work", while Vesemir probably said "go plough yourself"

Who apologize to who? Yennefer does! She apologizes to them, even though she is the only one with a working solution in the end. Yes, that shows she is not that evil witch and that is good, but who apologizes to Yennefer for distrusting her, for questioning her? Nobody.

Instead Vesemir says, "Yes. Don't like it one bit. But I suppose I have to trust you."

Wow, thanks for that. Yennefer is trying to get your granddaughter back and this is how you support her? You suppose to trust her? Awesome, thanks Uncle Vesemir for being so supportive.

Yennefer apologize to them in the drinking scene right ? Sorry my memory is a little fuzzy. And for me Geralt's bro have the right to distrusting and questioning her, reason above ^

Vesemir, Lambert, Eskel and maybe Geralt don't like watching Trial of grass; but see it is no other choice to find Ciri, he just show his disgust toward the Trial

Well, my point was that THIS "Sapkowski Yennefer" doesn't exist in the way we speak about here. I'm pretty sure that "my Sapkowski-Yennefer" will differ from "your Sapkowski-Yennefer" once we begin to talk about how she should exactly behave in various situations. Same is true for "CDPR's Sapkowski-Yennefer".

It was impossible from the very beginning to make her "sufficient" for all of us. She'll always stay a 90% or maybe 95% character at best for 99% of the people here - and only the lucky 1% who thinks of her in exactly the same way CDPR did is "fully" happy. There is nothing that could change that situation.

As I've said, core problem of everything fan-fictionary (especially when we talk about a subject that isn't THAT clearly defined and detailed in the first place)...
True, but there's still a pretty clear difference between all the Yen's we have, the CDPR Yen, and The Sapowski Yen, because each has a different defining factor, while also having common ones (in love with Geralt, strong willed, etc) but there's the difference between, say my Yen, who isn't as open in terms of her motherly feelings towards Ciri, and then there's the Sapowski Yen, who very openly calls Ciri her daughter.

I can understand this point of view and sometimes feel the same. The fear of ruining what we got sometimes overwhelms the desire for improvements.

That being said, I think only CDPR is qualified to decide what is too much and what is not.

For any medium or big suggestion, your comment that its impossible to please all of us stands perfectly.

But I also think miniscule changes, like replacing Vesemir with Yen on the balcony in the dream sequence, or Yen and Ciri referring to each other as mother and daughter at least once, very well stand to please everyone.

So, even though we all tend to carry away sometimes, you never know which idea or suggestion may spark the brain engine at CDPR to do something.
And the risk of missing that spark is not something that sits well with me.

To summarise, I think the best way to be constructive and supportive of CDPR and Witcher 3, is to keep posting our opinions and suggestions in a respectful manner, without the expectation for CDPR to do anything about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom