GOG or Steam?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
GOG or Steam?

I bought TW3 on my PS4 as my PC build isn't as good. I've enjoyed the game once with good graphics but now I want to get it on PC before REDkit is released for the mods. I like having all my games in one place on steam, but from GOG the devs would get all the money, which they fully deserve for this masterpiece. Which would you recommend?

While i will stay gog problem is galaxy still is a work in progress etc. IF you want easy installation etc then it has to be steam. If you dont mind occasional hiccups then gog.

Choose which matters then go with that.

So good that Galaxy isn t needed at all to GET The Witcher 3 , install it and "OWN" it

That what makes GoG BETTER than any other digital distribution ... no client FORCED upon you.
Neither is control forced upon you and your system.

If you want TW3 without Galaxy you just should log in over your browser log in GoG, download it
into the folder of your choice ... hit install, let it install to the folder of your choice ... then play it.

(i think the digital distribution of TW3 comes without Galaxy)

If you WANT achievements ... you still can use Galaxy to have them with TW3 ;) (just btw)

Galaxy is a protocol, not just a client. It's useful for incremental updates. But it also allows you saving backups of the full package, so using Galaxy doesn't reduce ownership. Achievements and all that I can care less, but incremental updates are pretty useful - no doubt about it.

There is no open Galaxy client though, so I'm not going to use it until that will happen. I don't allow any closed code messing with updating my system.

While i will stay gog problem is galaxy still is a work in progress etc. IF you want easy installation etc then it has to be steam. If you dont mind occasional hiccups then gog.

Choose which matters then go with that.

You don't need a client to play GOG games, just download, install and actually own the game.

The Witcher 3 on steam is also DRM free... you don't need steam running to play it either. If you like your games in 1 place as you said... then get it on steam. They might get a little less money but .... (gonna get some hate now) why should i as a costumer care about that really. I get it... but i also get why people would prefer the steam version( like me)

The Witcher 3 on steam is also DRM free... you don't need steam running to play it either. If you like your games in 1 place as you said... then get it on steam. They might get a little less money but ....

Not so little. More like 30% less. Supporting GOG also helps advancing DRM-free gaming. With Steam - it doesn't happen (even if some particular game there happens to be DRM-free which you aren't informed about by Steam in advance).

@Premchand

So making a good old partition / folder structure doesn t count as "having the games in ON PLACE"?

you know... something like D:\Games\YXZ folders? Just wonder....

Also putting a non DRM game into the STEAM library PUTS DRM on a DRM free game ;) since you re using
the CLIENT ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom