Patch 1.07: nothing was fixed

+
Patch 1.07: nothing was fixed

1. My game still freezes after a few minutes when the graphics settings are too high. It's been 2 months now. It's a critical bug, well identified (or you wouldn't have pages & pages of workarounds) but nothing is done...
  2. Enabling the NVidia Hairworks still produce breve but noticeable graphic glitches
  3. I can't progress in my last remaining quest "Faithful Friend" because it's still not fixed

1.) If your settings are too high and your system runs out of RAM, VRAM, and/or processing power, this will happen. The 2600K is a bit wimpy. That combined with a 780 ti could be your issue. Keep your textures up, but dial back a bit on Foliage Distance and Density. (You might want to kill AO, as well, but your other post-processing settings should not have much impact.) Background programs may also be gobbling up the available RAM. Above all, be sure you have Nvidia Streaming Service disabled in your task manager.

2.) Nvidia Hairworks is new tech. What exactly do you mean by "glitches"? If you mean pixellated hair during movies, that's just a problem with it at resolutions under 1080p.

3.) Can't respond here. 1.07 will definitely not correct every last possible issue with the quests and other bugs. Save your game and send it in to CDPR tech support. Be sure to include specific instructions on how to break the quest.

1.) If your settings are too high and your system runs out of RAM, VRAM, and/or processing power, this will happen. The 2600K is a bit wimpy. That combined with a 780 ti could be your issue. Keep your textures up, but dial back a bit on Foliage Distance and Density. (You might want to kill AO, as well, but your other post-processing settings should not have much impact.) Background programs may also be gobbling up the available RAM. Above all, be sure you have Nvidia Streaming Service disabled in your task manager.

2.) Nvidia Hairworks is new tech. What exactly do you mean by "glitches"? If you mean pixellated hair during movies, that's just a problem with it at resolutions under 1080p.

3.) Can't respond here. 1.07 will definitely not correct every last possible issue with the quests and other bugs. Save your game and send it in to CDPR tech support. Be sure to include specific instructions on how to break the quest.

1) My hardware is not the problem, as I play games like GTA5 on high settings with no problem. Anyhow, setting graphics options a bit higher than my hardware can handle should hit my FPS counter, not make my game crash!
I already know how to play without it to crash (no AA, 30 fps lock, no Hairworks, Internet browser closed, etc) but this is a temporary solution that is not acceptable. My hardware does not cause memory leaks: their game engine does.

2) I took a short video-capture (https://youtu.be/DgSNpyaapW4)
It happens in game when Hairworks is enabled and it's even visible while the game is paused.

3) (Sorry, it's in French) imgur.com/zSf0r4m
I was given this quest after I ended the game, but reaching the objective (why here by the way?) doesn't seem to do anything.

Last edited:
1) My hardware is not the problem, as I play games like GTA5 on high settings with no problem.

Thats is irrelevant since Witcher 3 is not the best optimized game in the world but more importantly it has HORRIBLE scaling. Just awful. I don't have the best PC, I have an Intel Q9400 (2,66ghz quad core), 6 gigs of DDR3 ram (most of it free since I keep my Win 8.1 free of any background stuff, totally clean) a WD HDD (with 32mb buffer) and a - lowest point a GeForce GT 620 1gb.

Now most of you will say I'm below minimum, my GPU sucks, yadda-yadda, and you're kinda right, BUT on my low resolution (720p) I can play EVERY new game on at least LOW settings (some on medium) with a constant 30 or 30+fps without any dips below 20 and no stuttering or little to no in most games. Those games include GTA5, Dragon Age Inquisition, Wolfenstein:TNO, Dying Light, Shadow of Mordor, Watch Dogs, EVEN AS:Unity (!!!) and more!

But Witcher 3? Unplayable framrate in the first scene, in the first room, on low settings and 800x600 resolution. I am talking about 15 fps with dips to 5. In that ONE ROOM. But get this, I used a tool to tweak many (all) settings imaginable and I made TW3 look like a 15 year old game. Seriously, shadow and texture resolution low as ****, visible distance non-existent, no effects, hell games from 2002 look better! And guess what? NO PERFORMANCE INCREASE whatsoever. MAYBE a few fps.

THAT is what I call HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE scaling. And why I will no longer be a loyal customer to CDPR. Rockstar showed it how it's done. If you crank GTA5 all the way up it demands a powerful rig but looks gorgeous - new gen and in a lot of ways on par with W3. But if you crank it all to low, it looks like a 2008 game (still looks VERY decent though!) BUT PLAYS LIKE A 2008 game and you can play it even on dual cores with lesser GPU's and RAM than mine.

CDPR can't or wasn't willing to do that. Either that or RED engine sucks and needs to be scrapped ASAP.

Rant over. :facepalm2:

Last edited:
I installed the patch manually from gog.com at first. When I started up the game I did not notice any pop-ins in Novigrad or elsewhere. The later Galaxy upgraded and downloaded an additional gigabyte of stuff. Since then the pop-in is back. :(

1) My hardware is not the problem, as I play games like GTA5 on high settings with no problem. Anyhow, setting graphics options a bit higher than my hardware can handle should hit my FPS counter, not make my game crash!
I already know how to play without it to crash (no AA, 30 fps lock, no Hairworks, Internet browser closed, etc) but this is a temporary solution that is not acceptable. My hardware does not cause memory leaks: their game engine does.

2) I took a short video-capture (https://youtu.be/DgSNpyaapW4)
It happens in game when Hairworks is enabled and it's even visible while the game is paused.

3) (Sorry, it's in French) imgur.com/zSf0r4m
I was given this quest after I ended the game, but reaching the objective (why here by the way?) doesn't seem to do anything.

1.) I hear you, and you're right. The game should be working for you with pretty solid performance and stability. However, I can ensure you that the problem is either hardware, driver, or bios related. I ran the game with relatively awful framerates in places on a GTX 670m on my old ASUS RoG laptop without a single crash for nearly an entire playthrough. It's not the game that causing the crashing -- it's something buried in your setup. Tracking that down could be an issue. Let's see if we can systematically narrow down the points at which it crashes. Can you tell me exactly what you are doing when you encounter a crash? Are you in combat? Are there certain effects on the screen? Does it happen when you reach certain areas? Does a specific type of enemy or NPC cause a crash? Is it occurring during cutscenes? Etc.

2.) Your Youtube video refuses to play for some reason. It just endlessly loads, even though its only 32 seconds long. Not sure what's up with that. I would love to see it in action, though. Can you upload it again using a different codec perhaps?

3.) Can't really help you out with the quest bug, I'm afraid. It's possible that it's a bug that cannot be retroactively fixed by 1.07. Try reloading from a point before you received the quest and play through it again from the beginning. I know that can be really annoying, but unfortunately it's often the only way to rectify this type of issue in some circumstances. The Witcher 3 handles things very differently than GTA. GTA will allow you to freely engage in any mission in the open world in any order, but once you select a mission, the game goes into a "mini-game" state -- meaning most features are disabled until you either complete or end the mission. This is a pretty brilliant way of ensuring stability in a huge open world. TW3 allows you to have multiple quests running simultaneously, and it's possible to trigger an event that suspends a certain quest script permanently -- like the fast-travel issues players experience in Skellige using the DLC. Unfortunately, CDPR is simply going to have to iron these issues out over time as more and more conflicts are discovered. That's the price we pay for being able to truly "go everywhere and do everything" right from the start of the game.

Last edited:
3.) Can't really help you out with the quest bug , I'm afraid. It's possible that it's a bug that cannot be retroactively fixed by 1.07. Try reloading from a point before you received the quest and play through it again from the beginning. I know that can be really annoying, but unfortunately it's often the only way to rectify this type of issue in some circumstances.
I think this quest (Faithful Friend) is broken for everyone.
Even starting the quest again won't work. (I tried with an old save)
CDPR should do the same as with "Dirty Funds" that is finally completed in 1.07 . (in an "artificial way" I believe, since you get "new quest" followed immediately by "quest completed")
1.07 also fixed the retroactively failed "Cave of Dreams" quest.

m_88, it seems you finished the game and left the "snowy and limited White Orchard" area from the epilogue (ending number #2). Faithful Friend ends when you speak to the owner of the horse that runs away. (you don't really need to catch it because it goes by itself to its old master. When you have ended the dialog with this soldier, the quest is supposed to end (from the official guide). I get "quest updated" but nothing more.
After this, if you continue the game (the thing with Ciri) until the end, and return afterwards to White Orchard, it's not the same "zone" anymore... But yes, the quest remains "active".

---------- Updated at 04:02 PM ----------

@ m_88 : you should try the Nvidia driver 344.75, even if it's a bit old : I use it with my 980 GTX : I never have crashes. (more recent drivers are known to cause problems to many people)
(à propos, je suis Français aussi)

Last edited:
Can you tell me exactly what you are doing when you encounter a crash? Are you in combat? Are there certain effects on the screen? Does it happen when you reach certain areas? Does a specific type of enemy or NPC cause a crash? Is it occurring during cutscenes? Etc.
It happened in almost every possible situation. fights, exploration, dialogs/cutscenes (the 1st one with young Ciri always froze before she could remove her blindfold), even while reading a notice board once (never in the game menus, though). I soon understood lowering the graphics settings reduced their frequency, but it still happened in cities like Oxenfurt or Novigrad, until I reduced them even more (30fps).

2.) Your Youtube video refuses to play for some reason. It just endlessly loads, even though its only 32 seconds long. Not sure what's up with that. I would love to see it in action, though. Can you upload it again using a different codec perhaps?
Try opening it with VLC (simply copy/paste the link, VLC can handle the YT links).
Also make sure to play it at 1080p.

3.) Can't really help you out with the quest bug, I'm afraid. It's possible that it's a bug that cannot be retroactively fixed by 1.07. Try reloading from a point before you received the quest and play through it again from the beginning.
I'll be honest, a bugged quest isn't what bothers me the most, given my other problems :D

@ m_88 : you should try the Nvidia driver 344.75, even if it's a bit old : I use it with my 980 GTX : I never have crashes. (more recent drivers are known to cause problems to many people)
I tried a lot of driver tricks : clean updates, manual installs, rollbacks to older versions, disabling NVExperience, disabling some NVidia Shield service, etc. Nothing worked.
Before you ask, this is not an overheating problem (according to CPUID HWMonitor at least). Besides, it should happen with other games (GTA5) if this was the problem.

(à propos, je suis Français aussi)
:wine:

Last edited:
It may be related to GPU OC (even stock OC) or bad PSU stability. Did you check on these?
(à la vôtre, chers compatriotes !)

PS: I am talking about GPU OC and PSU weakness because you said the problems appear after a few minutes of gameplay, which tends to indicate an issue related to hardware "endurance". I had the exact same artifacts + crashes with my former GPU (GTX770) under Watch Dogs. Changing my PSU solved the problems.

Last edited:
Saw video have you tried windowed mode ? For me I have win 7 (64) what ever reason it works better windoed . I have never had the graphics flutter you have going on . I am running on an Athlon II 2.6 quad with gt 640 . I have to turn dof and blur options off and run 1366 X 768 borderless window . I can run my native 1600 x 900 but have to change it in dense areas .

Lod issue still there. I have characters spawning around me. Can this lod problem even be fixed for PC? or is this multiplatform engine screwing us?
Blacksmith in Kaer trolde doesn't respond to dialog unless I reload save game or use rest.
Blacksmith and merchants in novagrad vanishes if you head south from market square. way to get around this is going around from another entrance or reloading save.
Forgot to say this but those guys who walk funny carrying boxes still isn't fixed.

Last edited:
(trois Français dans ce fil , ça doit être un record !)

just to add once more that for me, Nvidia driver 344.75 is the last 100% stable one. (347.25 gave me TDRs in Far Cry 4) Many people swear by the 347.88 , but maybe 344.75 is even more stable, especially for Maxwell cards. (of course if you own a Titan X or a 980Ti you can't use it)

I saw all these complaints in the Nvidia forums about TDRs with the 350 or 353 series, so I didn't bother to try further. Every game works fine, I have zero Nvidia driver crashes. I also put "prefer maximum performance" in the Nvidia global setting. the card doesn't run hotter or louder, and still downclocks at idle, so no problem using this setting.

It may be related to GPU OC (even stock OC) or bad PSU stability. Did you check on these?
(à la vôtre, chers compatriotes !)

PS: I am talking about GPU OC and PSU weakness because you said the problems appear after a few minutes of gameplay, which tends to indicate an issue related to hardware "endurance". I had the exact same artifacts + crashes with my former GPU (GTX770) under Watch Dogs. Changing my PSU solved the problems.
I think I remember someone on this forum, with the same freezing/crash problem, tried to underclock his GPU but it didn't work. I'll give it a try when the expansion comes out, if no patch corrects my problem by then. Do you know any GPU stress-test that could pass to make sure this isn't a hardware-related issue?

these kind of posts and topics boils anyones blood . nothing was fixed . kid the developers spending countless hours on fixing your $40 game and giving u free dlc every week . if you still think thats not enough u shud rather shift to EA games

I think I remember someone on this forum, with the same freezing/crash problem, tried to underclock his GPU but it didn't work. I'll give it a try when the expansion comes out, if no patch corrects my problem by then. Do you know any GPU stress-test that could pass to make sure this isn't a hardware-related issue?
Yes, you can give OCCT, 3D Mark and these Unigine benchmarks a try ;) Oh and just in case, the ONLY way for me to avoid TW3 crashes was to close Afterburner/Rivatuner while playing. Since then, not a single CTD, even after 7h of gaming.

these kind of posts and topics boils anyones blood . nothing was fixed . kid the developers spending countless hours on fixing your $40 game and giving u free dlc every week . if you still think thats not enough u shud rather shift to EA games
I must say I agree on the over reacting title. But you may chill out and let cooler heads prevail.

Easy thing to say when your game does not crash every 10 minutes, and you have to lower the quality to a console's (maybe worse) for it to work.
I'm not the first one (neither the last) to complain about this issue, but I've never seen any response about it from CDPR. So yes, I'm starting to wonder if this is going to be addressed some day.

Easy thing to say when your game does not crash every 10 minutes, and you have to lower the quality to a console's (maybe worse) for it to work.
Dude, you're not making your point when you title your thread, "Nothing was fixed'. You know damn well ALOT was fixed. More than in any other patch thus far.

Your specific issue wasn't fixed, and it's a big enough problem that you're unable to play. SAY THAT, and maybe the Devs will read your thread instead of totally skipping it because of the ridiculous title.

Top Bottom