Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
They sound like a jerk. You should have given him a scary look and said "I only chop off the heads of strange people that talk to me"

Well, I had a dozen replies like that I instantly thought of. But as I said, he rushed right on and out of the door. No chance to get a word in, not after being stunned for a second until my brain managed to compute what the hell he was saying. Maybe he actually was afraid I might harm him after insulting me, or he knew if he had to defend his idiotic position in any way it'd be a losing battle. Maybe it made his sad square mid-life crisis day to totally have manned up and insulted someone right in their face and gotten away unscathed by running away. Who knows.

Well, I had a dozen replies like that I instantly thought of. But as I said, he rushed right on and out of the door. No chance to get a word in, not after being stunned for a second until my brain managed to compute what the hell he was saying. Maybe he actually was afraid I might harm him after insulting me, or he knew if he had to defend his idiotic position in any way it'd be a losing battle. Maybe it made his sad square mid-life crisis day to totally have manned up and insulted someone right in their face and gotten away unscathed by running away. Who knows.

Honestly I think just ignoring him was the best course of action. Admittedly it feels better to tell idiots that they're being idiots, but at the end of the day, he may have just been looking for a fight, so it's best to just not let people like that affect you. It will annoy them more if you don't react.

---------- Updated at 10:06 PM ----------

I somehow doubt that. :p

Yeah, the only people with long hair and a beard around here are usually priests, thus the common confusion. It was funny to observe how people changed their attitude immediately when they learnt I wasn't a priest.

I can't imagine it took much conversation before they realised you weren't a priest :uma:

Last edited:
Well, they do seem to be quite fashionable, again, lately. At least among the younger folks. Everything from a bit of stubble on the chin to full beards is seen a lot more often than a couple of years ago.
In general, I don't think there's any particularly positive or negative stance towards beards as long as they're well-groomed. Just a matter of personal preference - personally I did get a lot of comments on my beard. It might be that in some lines of business, beards are frowned upon and employees might be strongly advised to keep them short, very well-groomed or preferably non-existent (e.g. banking), but that's rare, I think.

I did get insulted over my beard once, but that was just a latently racist fool making an idiot of himself. On my way home from sword training (with my bagged sword on my back), a middle-aged man approached me and asked "Hehe, already practicing how to chop heads of, are we?" - obviously referencing IS activity in the Middle East which was all over media at the time and basically accusing me of being a terrorist because of my beard - before walking straight on and off the train.

Guess I'll keep it short or shaved for the first few months while I get an impression of my neighborhood, and then who knows.

My "problem" is I don't have a lot of pigment in my hair and a LOT of it is white, even in my beard. That's probably a good thing in these forums though!

Honestly I think just ignoring him was the best course of action. Admittedly it feels better to tell idiots that they're being idiots, but at the end of the day, he may have just been looking for a fight, so it's best to just not let people like that affect you. It will annoy them more if you don't react.
Yeah, well, I'm certainly not shedding any tears because I didn't get to have a talk with him.

Guess I'll keep it short or shaved for the first few months while I get an impression of my neighborhood, and then who knows.

My "problem" is I don't have a lot of pigment in my hair and a LOT of it is white, even in my beard. That's probably a good thing in these forums though!

Oh noes! I just realized I left out a tiny, little important word in my previous statement: I did get a lot of POSITIVE comments on my beard - not just comments. :facepalm2: My meaning was that as long as you're not in one of few specific lines of business, you shouldn't have any problem with a beard - and even then it's just antiquated business guidelines, not customers. It's generally accepted, not unsusual at all at the moment and just a matter of personal preference.

So your avatar IS a portrait of yourself. Have always been wondering. A shame that that epic white beard is gone.... although I do see your point with it making you look older. :huh:

How long are you going to stay in Germany? Where? For work or just visiting?

Got my seminar place today, which I wanted. Got crap places the last few semsters so I cancelled them, but this would have been my last chance. Very happy.

Everytime I hear something slightly connected with university I remember I have to wait until September ... and still know nothing ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom