The Nithing - Why are you making me feel guilty about pixelated people! (Spoilers)

+
The Nithing - Why are you making me feel guilty about pixelated people! (Spoilers)

I've just been catching up on contracts and side quests I missed and happened upon the Nithing in Skellige.

Lothar's son is dying thanks a curse that was placed upon him by a rather jealous ex-lover of Lothar's who he was meant to marry instead. Jonna, the herbalist is perfectly willing to lift the curse if Lothar will leave his family, renounce his son and live with her which will disgrace his family and leave them in poverty. On the other hand, Geralt can lift the curse himself by scribing Jonna's name into the nithing totem but that means she ends up dying in the stead of the child she cursed.

I love and at the same time hate that almost all of the side contracts have only solutions that mean either someone will die, be left in poverty, end up prisoned or poor, etc. There haven't been many I've found that have had a "good solution" where everyone wins.

It's an interesting concept that the game teaches you there are always consequences that have a permanent effect (such as losing a valuable NPC if you make a wrong choice) but at the same time, it drives me mad that no matter what choice I make I'm going to feel foolishly guilty about the non-existent (outside of a computer game) lives of pixelated people. Just once I'd like to walk away from a quest and see a happy ending that no one died or was worse off, lol.

in the end I chose to reverse the curse and put it on Jonna because it seemed quite evil of her to curse a child and possibly have him die because of jealousy. i did, however feel incredibly wretched for her as she was wronged as according to her Lothar dumped her with no reason or warning for the girl he married, just upped and left after ten years of living in sin. I considered having Lothar go back to Jonna to live with the consequences of HIS actions but that seemed unfair on both his son and wife who have no means of support (and as far as I can tell it's not possible to donate money to them afterwards if you choose to favour Jonna).

It's one of those stories where both sides were to blame and the child suffered and in the end ultimately someone had to pay. I wished there could have been a happier ending to it. I felt disgusted with myself with my choice and I could tell that Geralt felt disgusted with himself and with Lothar in the end.

I know there's a lot of stories like this but right now it stands out to me a lot for making me feel like crap regardless. (Powerful game, CDPR). What did you all pick and feel about this one in particular?

Last edited:
I ended up making him leave to be with Jonna. As bad as I did feel about leaving the rest of the family in poverty, I didn't feel that she deserved to die over it. Plus she was willing to lift the curse/I felt Lothar deserved to answer for his wrong doings. Plus she was valuable as an herbalist for me.

Interesting topic for discussion.

Anyway,
I personally had NO ISSUE with her being terminated.
In my world, certain things are black and white..... you wish to do harm to an innocent child, and they are all innocent, you are TOAST.
No remorse on that one for me at all. (one of the few quests where I felt that way to be honest)

I mean really, she felt slighted that a partner left her, so she would kill his child as payback... not on this witcher's watch ;)
And who's too say why he left her too begin with, she seemed a rather evil thing to me... even how she looked, her facial expressions etc.
A true monster if ever there was one .... just as much deserving of my silver sword as any other monster.

But the Dev's did an awesome job pulling at the heart strings all over the place in this game for sure eh.
It's exactly why I loved the experience.

Interesting topic to discuss indeed.

There are other ways to pay him back for that. (non-violent) Why would you let a child suffer that has nothing to do with it all out of ''dignity'' ? I wouldn't let him grow up without father and live in poverty for the rest of his life with his mother. But I felt bad for Jonna aswell, took me some time to think about it before doing a move. Lothar was a dick aswell to just abandon her without saying anything.

Spoiler tags or not, please DON'T post threads like this in the main forum. Because someone will always reply without using spoiler tags.

Thread moved.

Top Bottom