Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
But try to think different way. She is thinking only about herself in that moment 0_o I know it hard for you to hear that Yennefer will feel pain, but think about Geralt. She don't let him say what he want and don't say what she dream about and the reason for this pretty selfish. Not because both of them would feel pain but only she. I know it's very beautiful reason but try to look behind it?

Sword of Destiny - Something More

A star shone, twinkling in the dark. Blinding. The amulet around the witcher's neck

began to tingle. Geralt instinctively dilated his pupils to pierce the darkness without difficulty.

The woman was not a peasant. The country girls were not wearing black velvet

cloaks. The country girls were pushed or dragged by the men into the bushes, crying out,

giggling, wriggling and trembling like freshly-caught fish. None of them gave the impression

that they were in control of the situation: this woman was taking a companion into the dark,

a man with blond hair and his shirt half open.

The country girls never wore a velvet ribbon around their necks or an obsidian star

encrusted with diamonds.

“Yennefer.”

Her violet eyes burned in a pale , triangular face.

“Geralt...”

She released the hand of the blond angel whose torso gleamed with sweat like a copper plate.

The boy hesitated, staggered, fell to his knees, turned his head, looked around,

protested. Then he rose slowly, considering them with a look that was at once skeptical and

embarrassed, and walked off toward the fires. The sorceress didn't even look at him.

She stared intently at the witcher. Her hand trembled on the edge of her cloak.

“It's good to see you again,” he said without emotion.

He felt then that the tension between them had fallen.

“Same,” she replied, smiling. It seemed that the smile contained something forced, but

he wasn't sure. “This is a pleasant surprise, I agree. What are you doing here, Geralt? Oh!

Pardon me, excuse my indiscretion. Of course you are here for the same thing I am. This is

the feast of Belleteyn. The difference being that you have caught me, one might say,

in the act.”

“I've disturbed you.”

“I'll live,” she joked. “The night will go on. If I like, I can seduce another.”

“A pity that I don't know how,” he managed to say, feigning indifference. “A girl saw

my eyes in the light and ran away.”

“In the morning,” she replied, smiling in an even more artificial way, “when they

really go mad, they won't pay so much attention. You'll find another, you'll see...”

“Yen...”

The rest of the sentence caught in his throat.

They looked at each other for a long time, a very long time. The red glow of the fire

danced over their faces. Yennefer sighed suddenly, veiling her eyes under their lashes.

“Geralt, no. Don't start...”

“It's Belleteyn,” he interrupted, “did you forget?”

She approached slowly, put a hand on his shoulder and pressed gently against him,

curling herself gently against his chest.

He stroked the raven-black hair that fell in curls like snakes.

“Believe me,” she murmured, lifting her face, “I wouldn't hesitate for a moment if it

was only a question of... but there's no sense in it. Everything would begin again and end

as it did before. There's no sense in us...”

“Must everything make sense? It's Belleteyn.”

“Belleteyn?” She turned her face. “What difference does that make? Something drew

us to these fires and these celebrating people. We intended to dance, to let loose, to get a little

drunk and vigorously enjoy freedom from good manners here, in honor of the renewal of the

cycle of nature. And what? We trip over each other after... how much time has passed?

After... a year?”

“One year, two months and eighteen days.”

“I'm touched. Do you do that on purpose?”

“Yes, Yen...”

“Geralt,” she interrupted, leaning back suddenly and shaking her head,

“let me be clear: it's impossible.”

He confirmed with a nod of his head that this was clear.

Yennefer pushed her cloak back from her shoulders. She wore a thin white blouse and

a black skirt held by a belt of silver links.

“I don't want to start again,” she repeated. “And the idea of doing with you... what I intended

to do with the handsome blond... under the same rules... that idea, Geralt, I find demeaning.

Degrading for you and for me. Understand?”

He nodded again. She looked at him, through her lowered lashes.

“You aren't going?”

“No.”

She remained silent for a moment, then shrugged her shoulders impatiently.

“You're offended?”

“No.”

“Come, let's sit down somewhere, away from the chaos. Talk a little. You see,

I'm glad that we met. It's the truth. Let's sit a moment. Agreed?”

“All right, Yen.”

They left in the dark, away from the bonfire, toward the dark edge of the forest,

careful to avoid the embracing couples. To find a quiet place, they had to walk for a while.

They stopped on a dry hill flanked by a juniper bush as slender as a cypress.

The sorceress unclasped her brooch and spread her cloak over the ground after

shaking it out. He sat next to her. He longed to take her shoulders, but it would only annoy

her. Yennefer rebuttoned her wide-open blouse, with Geralt watching attentively. She sighed,

holding herself against him. Geralt knew that Yennefer had to make a great effort to read

thoughts, but that she instinctively sensed the intentions of others.

They were silent.

“Oh, by the plague!” she cried suddenly, breaking free of his embrace.

The sorceress lifted her arms and recited an incantation. Over their heads rose bubbles

of red and green that burst high in the air and formed feathery red flowers. Laughter and cries

of joy reached them from the fires.

“Belleteyn,” she said bitterly. “The night of May... The cycle repeats itself. They have

fun, if they can...”

There were other sorcerers in the area. Three orange flashes rang out in the distance;

on the other side, at the foot of the forest, a geyser of rainbow-colored meteors twirled into

the sky and exploded. The dancers near the fire cried out in admiration. Feeling tense, Geralt

caressed Yennefer's curls and inhaled the scent of lilac and gooseberry they gave off.

If I want her too much, he thought, she will sense it; it might upset her. I'll ask her quietly

if it's all right.

“It's nothing new to me,” she said. Something trembled nonetheless in her voice.

“Nothing worth mentioning.”

“Don't do that to me, Yen. Don't read my mind. It bothers me.”

“Forgive me. It's instinctive. And you, Geralt, what's new?”

“Nothing, nothing worth mentioning.”

They remained silent.

“Belleteyn!” she cried suddenly. Geralt felt the shoulders pressed against his chest

rise and fall. “They have fun. They celebrate the eternal cycle of nature. And us? What do we

do? We, the relics, those condemned to death, to extermination and oblivion. Nature is

reborn, the cycle repeats itself. But not us, Geralt. We can't perpetuate ourselves. We are

denied that possibility. We have inherited the gift to do extraordinary things with nature,

sometimes against it, but we have been deprived in return of what is most simple and natural.

What does it matter that we live longer than humans? There is no spring after the winter; we

are not reborn, our end carries us with it. But something draws us to the fires, even though

our presence is a cruel joke, a sacrilege against this festival.”

She fell silent. He didn't like to see her fall into such darkness. He knew too well the

reason for it. It's starting to gnaw at her again, he thought. There had been a time when it

seemed that she had forgotten or accepted her fate. He moved his shoulders, rocking her like

a child. She did not resist. Geralt wasn't surprised; he knew that she needed it.

“You know, Geralt,” she said, suddenly calm, “it's your silence that I've missed the most.”

He pressed his lips to her hair, her ears. I want you, Yen, he thought, I want you,

you know that. You know it well, Yen.

“I know,” she murmured.

“Yen...”

“Only for now,” she replied, watching him with wide-open eyes. “Only on this night

that will soon disappear. That will be our Belleteyn. We will part in the morning. I beg you,

don't count on anything more. I can't... I couldn't. Forgive me. If I hurt you, kiss me and

let me go.”

“If I kiss you, I'm not leaving.”

“That's what I thought.”

She bowed her head. Geralt kissed her parted lips. Cautiously: first the upper lip, then

the lower. His hands tangled in her curls, touched her ears, the gems in the lobes, her neck.

Returning his kiss, Yennefer drew herself to him; her nimble fingers had no trouble defeating

the clasps of his jacket.

She slid back on the cloak arranged over the moss. Geralt kissed her breasts. He felt

the nipples harden and rise up under the fine fabric of her blouse. Yennefer was breathing

raggedly.

“Yen...”

“Don't say anything, please.”

The touch of her bare skin, sweet and cold, electrified his palm and his fingers.

Geralt's back shuddered under Yennefer's nails. Shouting, singing, whistling reached them

all the while from the fires, in a distant whirlwind of sparks and purple smoke. Embraces,

caresses. Him, her. Chills. And impatience. He touched the slender thighs closed around his

hips that shook like a leaf.

Belleteyn!

Breaths and sighs began their ballet; lightning flashed before their eyes; the scent of

lilac and gooseberry enveloped them. The King and the Queen of May, was it the expression

of a sacrilegious joke? Of oblivion?

It's Belleteyn, the night of May!

A piercing groan from Yen or from Geralt; black curls covering their eyes and mouths,

trembling fingers entwined in their tightly-grasped hands. A cry; black lashes, damp; a groan.

Then silence. An eternity of silence.

Belleteyn... The fires on the horizon...

“Yen?”

“Oh... Geralt.”

“Yen, are you crying?”

“No!”

“Yen...”

“I had promised myself... I had...”

“Don't say anything. It doesn't matter. Aren't you cold?”

“Yes.”

“And now?”

“Warmer.”

The sky cleared at a dizzying speed. The black wall of the forest regained its contours:

the jagged line of the ridge of trees emerged from the indistinct darkness.

Behind her, the azure announcement of dawn poured over the horizon, extinguishing the stars.

It got colder.

Geralt held Yennefer tighter. He covered her with his coat.

“Geralt?”

“Hmm...”

“The day will break.”

“I know.”

“Have I hurt you?”

“A little.”

“Will it start all over?”

“Nothing ever stopped.”

“Please... I feel good with you...”

“Don't say anything. Everything's fine.”

The smell of smoke was rising from the heather. The smell of lilac and gooseberries.

“Geralt?”

“Yes?”

“Do you remember when we met the Great Mountain Kestrel? And the golden

dragon? What was his name?”

“Three Kestrels. I remember.”

“He told us...”

“I remember, Yen.”

She kissed the back of his neck, pinning his head and tickling him with her hair.

“We were made for each other,” she murmured. “Perhaps even destined for each

other. But none of this can happen. It's a shame. We will have to separate when the day

breaks. It can't be otherwise. We have to separate so as not to hurt each other:

destined for each other, made for each other, but the one who created us should have thought

of something more. Forgive me. I had to tell you.”

“I know.”

“Making love makes no sense.”

“You're mistaken.”

“Go back to Cintra, Geralt.”

“What?”

“Go to Cintra. Go, and this time don't give up. Don't repeat the mistake from last time...”

“How do you know?”

“I know everything about you. Have you forgotten? Go to Cintra, go as fast as

possible. A dark time approaches. Very dark. You must get there in time...”

“Yen...”

“No, don't say anything, please.”

It was more and more fresh and more and more clear.

“Don't go now. Wait for the dawn.”

“We'll wait.”

Time of Contempt - Chapter Three

‘I fear for Ciri, Yen.’

‘You shouldn’t.’

‘But...’

‘Trust me.’ She hugged him. ‘Trust me, please. Don’t worry about Vilgefortz. He is a player.

He wanted to approach you, to provoke. He partially succeeded in this. But it doesn’t

matter. Ciri is under my care, and Aretuza is secure, She will be able to develop her abilities

here, and not be disturbed. By anyone. As for being a sorceress, forget it.

She has other talents. And is destined for other things. Believe me.’

‘I believe you.’

‘That’s significan’t progress. And do not worry about Vilgefortz. Tomorrow will explain

many things and solve many problems.’

Tomorrow, he thought. She’s hiding something from me. And I’m afraid to ask. Codringher

was right. I’m tangled in a nasty cabal. But now I have no way out. I’ll have to wait for what

tomorrow brings that apparently will explain everything. I have to trust her. I know

something will happen. I will wait. And I will adapt to the situation.

He looked at the writing desk.

‘Yen?’

‘I’m here.’

‘When you studied in Aretuza... when sleeping in rooms like this... did you have a doll

without which you could not sleep?’

‘No,’ Yennefer stirred violently. ‘I did not have a doll. Don’t ask me that, Geralt. Please

don’t ask me.’

‘Aretuza.’ He whispered, looking around. ‘Aretuza on the island of Thanedd. Her home.

For so many years... When she comes out from here, she’ll be a mature woman...’

‘Stop. Don’t think about it and don’t talk about it. Instead...’

‘What, Yen?’

‘Make love to me.’

He embraced her. Touched. Found. Yennefer, in an incredible way was hard and soft at the

same time, she sighed loudly. The words they said were broken, sighs and aspirations which

disappeared in a hurry, ceased to have meaning and dispersed. So silent, focused on finding

themselves on the search for truth. They were looking a long time, carefully and lovingly,

fearing the sacrilege of haste, the lightness and neglect. They looked hard, intense and

passionate. They looked carefully, fearing the sacrilege of the absence of finesse.

They found each other, they overcame fear and a moment later, they found the truth, which

exploded under their eyelids, awesome, blindingly obvious, a groan tore at his mouth which

was clenched in determination. He then shuddered and time froze, everything disappeared,

and only became a functioning sense of touch.

An eternity passed, reality returned, and for the second time he shuddered and began to

move slowly, awkwardly, like a big loaded wagon. Geralt looked out the window. The moon

was in the sky but what happened a moment ago should have thrown it to the ground.

‘Wow,’ said Yennefer after a time, wiping tears from her cheeks with a slow movement.

They lay motionless between the disordered sheets, among tremors, between the warmth

and the expiring happiness, among the silence that swirled around the indistinct darkness

pregnant with the smell of the night and the voices of the cicadas. Geralt knew that in such

moments as these sorceress telepathic abilities were heightened and very strong, he thought

so intensely about issues and beautiful things. The brightness of the rising sun. In the dawn

mist hanging over a mountain lake. In crystalline waterfalls filled with jumping salmon,

as bright as if made of molten silver. The warm drops of rain hitting the leaves of a rose bush

in full bloom.

He thought of her. Yennefer smiled, listening to his thoughts. The smile trembled on her

cheeks with the silver by the moon shadow on her eyelashes.

‘A house?’ Yennefer asked suddenly. ‘What house? Do you have a house? Do you wish to

build a house? Ah... sorry. I should not...’

He was silent. He was angry with himself. Thinking about her had inadvertently allowed

her to read the thoughts he harboured about it.

‘A beautiful dream.’ Yennefer lightly stroked his arm. ‘A house. A house built with your

own hands and in the house you and me. You would raise horses and sheep, I would take care

of the garden, food and Cardaria would weigh the wool that we would take to the market.

From the orens that we would be given from the sale of the wool and various fruits of the

earth we would by everything we need, say a little copper kettle and an iron rake. Every so

often we would visit Ciri with her husband and their three children, sometimes Triss

Merigold would come and to be with us for a few days. We could grow old with dignity.

And if I get bored at night you would play the bagpipes made with your own hands.

Playing the bagpipes, as everyone knows is the best remedy for the blues.’

The witcher was silent. The sorceress coughed softly.

‘Sorry,’ he said at last. He raised himself on his elbow, leaned over and kissed her.

She moved to rapidly embrace him. In silence.

‘Say something.’

‘I do not want to lose you, Yen’

‘After all I have.’

‘This night is over.’

‘Everything ends.’

No, he thought. I do not want it to be so. I’m tired. Too tired to accept the prospect

of principals, after which you have to start all over again. I wish...

‘Do not talk.’ With a quick movement Yennefer laid a finger on his lips. ‘Do not tell me

what you want or what you crave. Because I might not be able to fulfil your wishes and that

would cause me pain.’

‘And what do you want, Yen? What do you dream?

‘Only about things that can be achieved.’

‘What about me?’

‘I already have you.’

He was silent for a long time. And waited for the moment she broke the silence.

‘Geralt?’

‘Mmm?’

‘Make love to me, please.’

At first, they filled each other, both were full of fantasy and imagination, ideas, discoveries

and new desires. As usual, it soon proved that it was both too much and too little.

They understood at once and again proved their love.

When Geralt came to, the moon was still in place. Cicadas chirped loudly as if they would

also like to fight fear and unrest on the basis of madness and passion. From a nearby window

on the left wing of Aretuza someone hungry for sleep screamed and fumed bitterly,

demanding silence. From the window across someone, apparently gifted with an artistic soul,

enthusiastically applauded and shouted congratulations.

‘Oh, Yen...’ Whispered the witcher in shame.

‘I had a reason...’ she kissed him and them nestled her cheek into the pillow. ‘I had a reason

to scream, so I screamed. That should not be suppressed, it is unhealthy and unnatural.

Hold me, if you can.’

Now after reading these two I can't say it's selfish, even if I wanted to. Of course she is thinking about herself as well,
but mainly about Geralt and them two as a pair. They're simply too damaged to shape a relationship, but Geralt keeps dreaming about it regardless, which makes it much worse for Yennefer as she dreams about it from the very beggining.

Last edited:
So what you think? Or you don't want to judge her? I like Yennefer character but sometimes it hard to find propper explanation for her actions :\

:areukiddingme:
:geraltsad:

Last edited:
Something More

A star shone, twinkling in the dark. Blinding. The amulet around the witcher's neck

began to tingle. Geralt instinctively dilated his pupils to pierce the darkness without difficulty.

The woman was not a peasant. The country girls were not wearing black velvet

cloaks. The country girls were pushed or dragged by the men into the bushes, crying out,

giggling, wriggling and trembling like freshly-caught fish. None of them gave the impression

that they were in control of the situation: this woman was taking a companion into the dark,

a man with blond hair and his shirt half open.

The country girls never wore a velvet ribbon around their necks or an obsidian star

encrusted with diamonds.

“Yennefer.”

Her violet eyes burned in a pale , triangular face.

“Geralt...”

She released the hand of the blond angel whose torso gleamed with sweat like a copper plate.

The boy hesitated, staggered, fell to his knees, turned his head, looked around,

protested. Then he rose slowly, considering them with a look that was at once skeptical and

embarrassed, and walked off toward the fires. The sorceress didn't even look at him.

She stared intently at the witcher. Her hand trembled on the edge of her cloak.

“It's good to see you again,” he said without emotion.

He felt then that the tension between them had fallen.

“Same,” she replied, smiling. It seemed that the smile contained something forced, but

he wasn't sure. “This is a pleasant surprise, I agree. What are you doing here, Geralt? Oh!

Pardon me, excuse my indiscretion. Of course you are here for the same thing I am. This is

the feast of Belleteyn. The difference being that you have caught me, one might say,

in the act.”

“I've disturbed you.”

“I'll live,” she joked. “The night will go on. If I like, I can seduce another.”

“A pity that I don't know how,” he managed to say, feigning indifference. “A girl saw

my eyes in the light and ran away.”

“In the morning,” she replied, smiling in an even more artificial way, “when they

really go mad, they won't pay so much attention. You'll find another, you'll see...”

“Yen...”

The rest of the sentence caught in his throat.

They looked at each other for a long time, a very long time. The red glow of the fire

danced over their faces. Yennefer sighed suddenly, veiling her eyes under their lashes.

“Geralt, no. Don't start...”

“It's Belleteyn,” he interrupted, “did you forget?”

She approached slowly, put a hand on his shoulder and pressed gently against him,

curling herself gently against his chest.

He stroked the raven-black hair that fell in curls like snakes.

“Believe me,” she murmured, lifting her face, “I wouldn't hesitate for a moment if it

was only a question of... but there's no sense in it. Everything would begin again and end

as it did before. There's no sense in us...”

“Must everything make sense? It's Belleteyn.”

“Belleteyn?” She turned her face. “What difference does that make? Something drew

us to these fires and these celebrating people. We intended to dance, to let loose, to get a little

drunk and vigorously enjoy freedom from good manners here, in honor of the renewal of the

cycle of nature. And what? We trip over each other after... how much time has passed?

After... a year?”

“One year, two months and eighteen days.”

“I'm touched. Do you do that on purpose?”

“Yes, Yen...”

“Geralt,” she interrupted, leaning back suddenly and shaking her head,

“let me be clear: it's impossible.”

He confirmed with a nod of his head that this was clear.

Yennefer pushed her cloak back from her shoulders. She wore a thin white blouse and

a black skirt held by a belt of silver links.

“I don't want to start again,” she repeated. “And the idea of doing with you... what I intended

to do with the handsome blond... under the same rules... that idea, Geralt, I find demeaning.

Degrading for you and for me. Understand?”

He nodded again. She looked at him, through her lowered lashes.

“You aren't going?”

“No.”

She remained silent for a moment, then shrugged her shoulders impatiently.

“You're offended?”

“No.”

“Come, let's sit down somewhere, away from the chaos. Talk a little. You see,

I'm glad that we met. It's the truth. Let's sit a moment. Agreed?”

“All right, Yen.”

They left in the dark, away from the bonfire, toward the dark edge of the forest,

careful to avoid the embracing couples. To find a quiet place, they had to walk for a while.

They stopped on a dry hill flanked by a juniper bush as slender as a cypress.

The sorceress unclasped her brooch and spread her cloak over the ground after

shaking it out. He sat next to her. He longed to take her shoulders, but it would only annoy

her. Yennefer rebuttoned her wide-open blouse, with Geralt watching attentively. She sighed,

holding herself against him. Geralt knew that Yennefer had to make a great effort to read

thoughts, but that she instinctively sensed the intentions of others.

They were silent.

“Oh, by the plague!” she cried suddenly, breaking free of his embrace.

The sorceress lifted her arms and recited an incantation. Over their heads rose bubbles

of red and green that burst high in the air and formed feathery red flowers. Laughter and cries

of joy reached them from the fires.

“Belleteyn,” she said bitterly. “The night of May... The cycle repeats itself. They have

fun, if they can...”

There were other sorcerers in the area. Three orange flashes rang out in the distance;

on the other side, at the foot of the forest, a geyser of rainbow-colored meteors twirled into

the sky and exploded. The dancers near the fire cried out in admiration. Feeling tense, Geralt

caressed Yennefer's curls and inhaled the scent of lilac and gooseberry they gave off.

If I want her too much, he thought, she will sense it; it might upset her. I'll ask her quietly

if it's all right.

“It's nothing new to me,” she said. Something trembled nonetheless in her voice.

“Nothing worth mentioning.”

“Don't do that to me, Yen. Don't read my mind. It bothers me.”

“Forgive me. It's instinctive. And you, Geralt, what's new?”

“Nothing, nothing worth mentioning.”

They remained silent.

“Belleteyn!” she cried suddenly. Geralt felt the shoulders pressed against his chest

rise and fall. “They have fun. They celebrate the eternal cycle of nature. And us? What do we

do? We, the relics, those condemned to death, to extermination and oblivion. Nature is

reborn, the cycle repeats itself. But not us, Geralt. We can't perpetuate ourselves. We are

denied that possibility. We have inherited the gift to do extraordinary things with nature,

sometimes against it, but we have been deprived in return of what is most simple and natural.

What does it matter that we live longer than humans? There is no spring after the winter; we

are not reborn, our end carries us with it. But something draws us to the fires, even though

our presence is a cruel joke, a sacrilege against this festival.”

She fell silent. He didn't like to see her fall into such darkness. He knew too well the

reason for it. It's starting to gnaw at her again, he thought. There had been a time when it

seemed that she had forgotten or accepted her fate. He moved his shoulders, rocking her like

a child. She did not resist. Geralt wasn't surprised; he knew that she needed it.

“You know, Geralt,” she said, suddenly calm, “it's your silence that I've missed the most.”

He pressed his lips to her hair, her ears. I want you, Yen, he thought, I want you,

you know that. You know it well, Yen.

“I know,” she murmured.

“Yen...”

“Only for now,” she replied, watching him with wide-open eyes. “Only on this night

that will soon disappear. That will be our Belleteyn. We will part in the morning. I beg you,

don't count on anything more. I can't... I couldn't. Forgive me. If I hurt you, kiss me and

let me go.”

“If I kiss you, I'm not leaving.”

“That's what I thought.”

She bowed her head. Geralt kissed her parted lips. Cautiously: first the upper lip, then

the lower. His hands tangled in her curls, touched her ears, the gems in the lobes, her neck.

Returning his kiss, Yennefer drew herself to him; her nimble fingers had no trouble defeating

the clasps of his jacket.

She slid back on the cloak arranged over the moss. Geralt kissed her breasts. He felt

the nipples harden and rise up under the fine fabric of her blouse. Yennefer was breathing

raggedly.

“Yen...”

“Don't say anything, please.”

The touch of her bare skin, sweet and cold, electrified his palm and his fingers.

Geralt's back shuddered under Yennefer's nails. Shouting, singing, whistling reached them

all the while from the fires, in a distant whirlwind of sparks and purple smoke. Embraces,

caresses. Him, her. Chills. And impatience. He touched the slender thighs closed around his

hips that shook like a leaf.

Belleteyn!

Breaths and sighs began their ballet; lightning flashed before their eyes; the scent of

lilac and gooseberry enveloped them. The King and the Queen of May, was it the expression

of a sacrilegious joke? Of oblivion?

It's Belleteyn, the night of May!

A piercing groan from Yen or from Geralt; black curls covering their eyes and mouths,

trembling fingers entwined in their tightly-grasped hands. A cry; black lashes, damp; a groan.

Then silence. An eternity of silence.

Belleteyn... The fires on the horizon...

“Yen?”

“Oh... Geralt.”

“Yen, are you crying?”

“No!”

“Yen...”

“I had promised myself... I had...”

“Don't say anything. It doesn't matter. Aren't you cold?”

“Yes.”

“And now?”

“Warmer.”

The sky cleared at a dizzying speed. The black wall of the forest regained its contours:

the jagged line of the ridge of trees emerged from the indistinct darkness.

Behind her, the azure announcement of dawn poured over the horizon, extinguishing the stars.

It got colder.

Geralt held Yennefer tighter. He covered her with his coat.

“Geralt?”

“Hmm...”

“The day will break.”

“I know.”

“Have I hurt you?”

“A little.”

“Will it start all over?”

“Nothing ever stopped.”

“Please... I feel good with you...”

“Don't say anything. Everything's fine.”

The smell of smoke was rising from the heather. The smell of lilac and gooseberries.

“Geralt?”

“Yes?”

“Do you remember when we met the Great Mountain Kestrel? And the golden

dragon? What was his name?”

“Three Kestrels. I remember.”

“He told us...”

“I remember, Yen.”

She kissed the back of his neck, pinning his head and tickling him with her hair.

“We were made for each other,” she murmured. “Perhaps even destined for each

other. But none of this can happen. It's a shame. We will have to separate when the day

breaks. It can't be otherwise. We have to separate so as not to hurt each other:

destined for each other, made for each other, but the one who created us should have thought

of something more. Forgive me. I had to tell you.”

“I know.”

“Making love makes no sense.”

“You're mistaken.”

“Go back to Cintra, Geralt.”

“What?”

“Go to Cintra. Go, and this time don't give up. Don't repeat the mistake from last time...”

“How do you know?”

“I know everything about you. Have you forgotten? Go to Cintra, go as fast as

possible. A dark time approaches. Very dark. You must get there in time...”

“Yen...”

“No, don't say anything, please.”

It was more and more fresh and more and more clear.

“Don't go now. Wait for the dawn.”

“We'll wait.”

Blood of Elves

‘I fear for Ciri, Yen.’

‘You shouldn’t.’

‘But...’

‘Trust me.’ She hugged him. ‘Trust me, please. Don’t worry about Vilgefortz. He is a player.

He wanted to approach you, to provoke. He partially succeeded in this. But it doesn’t

matter. Ciri is under my care, and Aretuza is secure, She will be able to develop her abilities

here, and not be disturbed. By anyone. As for being a sorceress, forget it.

She has other talents. And is destined for other things. Believe me.’

‘I believe you.’

‘That’s significan’t progress. And do not worry about Vilgefortz. Tomorrow will explain

many things and solve many problems.’

Tomorrow, he thought. She’s hiding something from me. And I’m afraid to ask. Codringher

was right. I’m tangled in a nasty cabal. But now I have no way out. I’ll have to wait for what

tomorrow brings that apparently will explain everything. I have to trust her. I know

something will happen. I will wait. And I will adapt to the situation.

He looked at the writing desk.

‘Yen?’

‘I’m here.’

‘When you studied in Aretuza... when sleeping in rooms like this... did you have a doll

without which you could not sleep?’

‘No,’ Yennefer stirred violently. ‘I did not have a doll. Don’t ask me that, Geralt. Please

don’t ask me.’

‘Aretuza.’ He whispered, looking around. ‘Aretuza on the island of Thanedd. Her home.

For so many years... When she comes out from here, she’ll be a mature woman...’

‘Stop. Don’t think about it and don’t talk about it. Instead...’

‘What, Yen?’

‘Make love to me.’

He embraced her. Touched. Found. Yennefer, in an incredible way was hard and soft at the

same time, she sighed loudly. The words they said were broken, sighs and aspirations which

disappeared in a hurry, ceased to have meaning and dispersed. So silent, focused on finding

themselves on the search for truth. They were looking a long time, carefully and lovingly,

fearing the sacrilege of haste, the lightness and neglect. They looked hard, intense and

passionate. They looked carefully, fearing the sacrilege of the absence of finesse.

They found each other, they overcame fear and a moment later, they found the truth, which

exploded under their eyelids, awesome, blindingly obvious, a groan tore at his mouth which

was clenched in determination. He then shuddered and time froze, everything disappeared,

and only became a functioning sense of touch.

An eternity passed, reality returned, and for the second time he shuddered and began to

move slowly, awkwardly, like a big loaded wagon. Geralt looked out the window. The moon

was in the sky but what happened a moment ago should have thrown it to the ground.

‘Wow,’ said Yennefer after a time, wiping tears from her cheeks with a slow movement.

They lay motionless between the disordered sheets, among tremors, between the warmth

and the expiring happiness, among the silence that swirled around the indistinct darkness

pregnant with the smell of the night and the voices of the cicadas. Geralt knew that in such

moments as these sorceress telepathic abilities were heightened and very strong, he thought

so intensely about issues and beautiful things. The brightness of the rising sun. In the dawn

mist hanging over a mountain lake. In crystalline waterfalls filled with jumping salmon,

as bright as if made of molten silver. The warm drops of rain hitting the leaves of a rose bush

in full bloom.

He thought of her. Yennefer smiled, listening to his thoughts. The smile trembled on her

cheeks with the silver by the moon shadow on her eyelashes.

‘A house?’ Yennefer asked suddenly. ‘What house? Do you have a house? Do you wish to

build a house? Ah... sorry. I should not...’

He was silent. He was angry with himself. Thinking about her had inadvertently allowed

her to read the thoughts he harboured about it.

‘A beautiful dream.’ Yennefer lightly stroked his arm. ‘A house. A house built with your

own hands and in the house you and me. You would raise horses and sheep, I would take care

of the garden, food and Cardaria would weigh the wool that we would take to the market.

From the orens that we would be given from the sale of the wool and various fruits of the

earth we would by everything we need, say a little copper kettle and an iron rake. Every so

often we would visit Ciri with her husband and their three children, sometimes Triss

Merigold would come and to be with us for a few days. We could grow old with dignity.

And if I get bored at night you would play the bagpipes made with your own hands.

Playing the bagpipes, as everyone knows is the best remedy for the blues.’

The witcher was silent. The sorceress coughed softly.

‘Sorry,’ he said at last. He raised himself on his elbow, leaned over and kissed her.

She moved to rapidly embrace him. In silence.

‘Say something.’

‘I do not want to lose you, Yen’

‘After all I have.’

‘This night is over.’

‘Everything ends.’

No, he thought. I do not want it to be so. I’m tired. Too tired to accept the prospect

of principals, after which you have to start all over again. I wish...

‘Do not talk.’ With a quick movement Yennefer laid a finger on his lips. ‘Do not tell me

what you want or what you crave. Because I might not be able to fulfil your wishes and that

would cause me pain.’

‘And what do you want, Yen? What do you dream?

‘Only about things that can be achieved.’

‘What about me?’

‘I already have you.’

He was silent for a long time. And waited for the moment she broke the silence.

‘Geralt?’

‘Mmm?’

‘Make love to me, please.’

At first, they filled each other, both were full of fantasy and imagination, ideas, discoveries

and new desires. As usual, it soon proved that it was both too much and too little.

They understood at once and again proved their love.

When Geralt came to, the moon was still in place. Cicadas chirped loudly as if they would

also like to fight fear and unrest on the basis of madness and passion. From a nearby window

on the left wing of Aretuza someone hungry for sleep screamed and fumed bitterly,

demanding silence. From the window across someone, apparently gifted with an artistic soul,

enthusiastically applauded and shouted congratulations.

‘Oh, Yen...’ Whispered the witcher in shame.

‘I had a reason...’ she kissed him and them nestled her cheek into the pillow. ‘I had a reason

to scream, so I screamed. That should not be suppressed, it is unhealthy and unnatural.

Hold me, if you can.’

Now after reading these two I can't say it's selfish, even if I wanted to. Of course she is thinking about herself as well,
but mainly about Geralt and them two as a pair. They're simply too damaged to shape a relationship, but Geralt keeps dreaming about it regardless, which makes it much worse for Yennefer as she dreams about it from the very beggining.

After reading both of the books quote here, IMHO,the ending between Geralt and Yennefer is a perfect fit as that is what they did in the end. Live a quiet life between the both of them. And Ciri can find a home waiting for her with her parents waiting for her after the Path.

If the dream of living peacefully was already explored in the books, I think the best response by Geralt to Yennefer request to go and live together is to be agreeable to it, in the Tent scene on Skelliege

Man in glass: All who cross her path meet with misfortune.
Geralt: I can vouch for that, it's been twenty years already, can't hardly wait for the scene on the boat.

Don't you feel Yennefer loves Geralt's lover side so much because when they make love he is always very delicate? Reading Sapkowski's scenes I have the feeling that though she pretends to be the boss in bed - and remember she used to have a new lover every year until she met Geralt-, when she is touched by Geralt she wants to be loved passionately and delicately. And Gerals discovers that. Yen suffered many abuses when she was a child and has developed a strong shield to protect herself from multiple aspects of life. Love and sex is one of them, IMO.

Sapkowski wrote the love scenes bewteen them so beautiful and delicate that makes me think that. A witcher, a man, a person... who loves her deeply and treats her like the most beautiful, delicate and valuable thing on Earth.

Here's some parts of a few scenes... and I want to remember Spanish translations were way better than these. Deeper and preciser.

Their first meeting...

This one took place in Belleteyn, she actually had tears in her eyes during this love making.

Or this lovely scene after the banquet in Thanned (one of the three scenes :teeth:)

Even here, when they need each other so desperately.

And pay much attention to this... because it has the KEY.

I mean, do you notice Yennefer loves Geralt's tenderness and sensibility too? Can you see Yennefer changes her bossy and sometimes rude behaviour everytime she has sex with Geralt? Can you feel her emotion and see one of her softest side? Because Geralt can and is able to break her shield to find the most beautiful side of her, what she really needs. LOVE.

UPDATED: Thanks to @Gilthoniel for helping me to build this post. :D

Did I say already that this post is great? :D Yeah...

But try to think different way. She is thinking only about herself in that moment 0_o I know it hard for you to hear that Yennefer will feel pain, but think about Geralt. She don't let him say what he want and don't say what she dream about and the reason for this pretty selfish. Not because both of them would feel pain but only she. I know it's very beautiful reason but try to look behind it?

I'm assuming that you confuse "selfish" with "protection". You know... people who really loves us use to protect us from ourself and our sad thoughts which only makes us be more sad than happy.

Guest 3842753

Hey guys, for anyone who's read the books:

In "Something More" after Yen/Geralt make out during Belletyn, she basically tells him to go claim Ciri:
Go to Cintra. Go, and this time don't give up. Don't repeat the mistake from last time...”
“How do you know?”
“I know everything about you. Have you forgotten? Go to Cintra, go as fast as possible. A dark time approaches. Very dark. You must get there in time...”

How did she know of his second encounter with Ciri in Brokilon, not to mention the details of how it went? They weren't together at the time.

Or does she just keep tabs on him like a good guardian angel of sorts.

Last edited by a moderator:
This one took place in Belleteyn, she actually had tears in her eyes during this love making.
Not during but after. And I think it's related to her oath not to have sex with him. Tears are the fact that she don't want to leave him but she know she will. It's a sad story. She don't want to start it all over again. In fact she missed him all time, his silence, his gentle fingers. She pretend to be strong and cold in their random meetings in order not to show how much she miss him. Maybe she didn't want him to know how it hurt her when he isn't near. She know that in his jorney he is almost alone all the time and don't want to upset him with idea that she isn't happy.

@ginsuchop well she reads in his mind. I wouldn't say she's keeping tabs on him like a guardian angel, more likely she's just well informed about his actions and helps him out here and there. She knows a bit and reads his mind for the rest.

@ajiehb during and after. I would say these tears had a bit deeper meaning, but you got the general idea well enough.

Last edited:
Or does she just keep tabs on him like a good guardian angel of sorts.
Yes. She always watch for him and help him. But she tries to keep it in secret. Because she know he will not appreciate such help. Like she ask banker to give farmworkers some gold to pay for Geralt job so that he will have some money left after he will pay for food. Or like she secretly help to regain his lost swords in the latest books. So yeah, you can call her his guardian angel ^_^

I was thinking about one scene that could perfectly describe Yennefer in the game. Last Wish quest is easy to pick up, but there is one simple moment that i really like. When Yen arrives to Kaer Morhen to lift off the curse from Uma, she immediately goes straight to business. Lambert do this, Eskel do that, no greattings, no hugs. Thats one thing that i like. Second is when Geralt arrives to the castle and speaks to her. After some argue about not treating witchers really good, Yen tells what she needs from everyone to lift the curse, including Geralt. Right before White Wolf wants to leave, Yen says those words that i really loved. "One more thing". "Yes ?". "Thank you Geralt". That was really well done. Nothing flashy, just simple thank you. I really liked that small, soutle presentation of Yennefers character.

Last edited:
I played Witcher 1, and then I read the books. So I was really like the Geralt with amnesia, since I had not read the books. I really fell in love with Triss during the course of the games. After reading the books and finishing both of the games, I was like the Geralt who had recovered his memories but lead a double life. I couldn't decide between Yen and Triss.

But when the moment came in the Last Wish quest I just couldn't break Yen's heart, and I felt compelled to choose Yenefer. I don't know what took over me, but I knew Geralt's cold response would destroy her behind the tough face she puts on.

Because Yen does truly love and adore Geralt, although she tries to hide it.

Yes. She always watch for him and help him. But she tries to keep it in secret. Because she know he will not appreciate such help. Like she ask banker to give farmworkers some gold to pay for Geralt job so that he will have some money left after he will pay for food. Or like she secretly help to regain his lost swords in the latest books. So yeah, you can call her his guardian angel ^_^

How do some people think she is evil or is a selfish bi*** towards Geralt? I can't understand... My thought is they can't read between lines or understand Sapkowski's characters, because the truth is clear. It's in the books. She truly loves him very deeply and is always trying to help him every time she has a chance. She worries about him a lot. And is willing to give her life to save him. Twice.

---------- Updated at 08:02 AM ----------

"One more thing". "Yes ?". "Thank you Geralt". That was really well done. Nothing flashy, just simple thank you. I really liked that small, soutle presentation of Yennefers character.

I love that too. Because as Yennefer says in the game, when she says "Thank you" you can be sure it's a "THANK YOU" from the bottom of her heart, not hypocrisy. That says it all.

Guest 3842753

Not during but after. And I think it's related to her oath not to have sex with him. Tears are the fact that she don't want to leave him but she know she will. It's a sad story. She don't want to start it all over again. In fact she missed him all time, his silence, his gentle fingers. She pretend to be strong and cold in their random meetings in order not to show how much she miss him. Maybe she didn't want him to know how it hurt her when he isn't near. She know that in his jorney he is almost alone all the time and don't want to upset him with idea that she isn't happy.

That's a good point about her concern for his loneliness while on the job. I remember a line in Blood of Elves where she tells Dandelion she owes him because he kept Geralt company during his travels

You travelled with him,' she said finally. 'Thanks to you he was not alone. You were a friend to him. You were with him.'

She's glad Geralt's got someone to hang out with, even if it can't be her due to them forcing themselves to stay apart.

The problem is not the activity, but how differently you reacted.

Everyone who is already longer than a year registered here and actively browsing the forums knows that you REDs don't comment often. You, GingerEffect, are really the exception, but i think that's the reason why CDPR hired you in the first place

First off, I work here to make Quests. I'm on the Forum because I remember fondly the times other Dev's would jump on the forum and talk to me when I was a gamer and not a developer and I like to give that feeling back. But at the end of the day I am only a Quest Designer and not a PR person. Hence why I sometimes screw up when it comes to careful phrasing, which then gets torn apart by the community at large. I have no doubt this post will be the same.

So every post by you, REDs, is worth gold or written in stone, you could say.

I also know that you guys/girls read what people post, one of the few developers i actually believe that.

My problem is that you decided not only to react to one specific problem, but also admit that you made something wrong and promised to fix it, while everything else (not just this here) isn't addressed this way.

I have explained the process through which feedback goes in detail. I am really not sure what else I can say about this. To top it off, I can't comment on things I don't know about and am very, very reluctant to commet on things I only know bits about. Since I am not really involved in content specifically regarding Yennefer, there is little I can say about it and I am also not the be all and end all of lore regarding her. This is why I defer to our writers in that regard.

If we look at your first posts here, you try to explain why it isn't this or that way how some people perceived it and that you can't comment on more complex design decisions, because you weren't involved in that.

It felt like you were only consoling us with those comments, but so far nobody has said that you will look into it, admitted that you did something wrong or even try to fix it. I am still not sure, if i can expect anything at all.
Why Ciri appears so cold and harsh towards Yennefer, but friendly to Avallac'h, or why you replaced Yennefer with Vesemir in the balcony scene, the list goes on.

You decided that that problem is worth commenting this way, while others aren't and this can be perceived as favouritism by many.

This gives the impression that you seemingly only care for that problem.

This (the bolded part) is the reason that so few developers post, you know. We can never possibly address every concern the community has. We can't be everywhere. And when we do take the time out to write about something, it is being anayzed to death and ulterior motives are immediately assumed. In other words, if we don't post, it is seen as ignoring the community. If we do post, it is seen as taking favoritism and if we try to quell concerns about favoritism, we get told that it "feels" like we are still doing it. How am I to respond to that?

I said that your concerns were forwarded. This is the first step in the process. From here on out it is out of my hands. Any decisions regarding this would be communicated when they are made but before that, I can't say anything and promising things that I cannot guarantee is not something I do. It is of course your prerogative to not believe me or to believe that nothing will be done because we don't care.

But I am not going to write about things that I am not 100% sure about. That's that.

What do you think will happen, if you really decide to make a, let's just call it by its name, Triss-Update? Do you really think everyone will be delighted about that, if you consider a romance update really needs to be done, while other things don't have this priority?

People already suggested to write some of you directly here or on twitter and i think this is would be the wrong move by us, but I also can't blame them for thinking this way, because it shows how desperate some people are to get some reactions or answers.

I would be very sad if people take the fact that we tried to fix a problem and twist it into something ugly. I understand that people always expect more. I understand that some people may think we have the wrong priorities. I'm sorry that it leads to that sort of thinking.

So what can i do?
Not much i am afraid, but I will keep updating the first post and the rest, if i find the time for it, and try to keep this thread alive, as i think showing passion and devotion should be more worth and rewarding than crying and demanding, but all in all I am still not sure, if i can expect anything at all, even the slightest things.

When we have news of any kind, we will let you know. I know, standard phrase, but that's what I can say. I've already caused enough trouble by even writing about these things in the first place, so my apologies for that.

Thank you again for your passion towards our game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom