Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yennefer of Vengerberg in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt ~~~ Part 2 - Discussion in Vizima

This is supposed to be a follow-up on this post: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...ll-spoilers)?p=1855434&viewfull=1#post1855434

Please keep in mind that both posts are just my feelings that I would like to share with other Yennefer fans.

After we finally find Yennefer in White Orchard and ready our horses for Vizima, we also meet Wild Hunt for the first time, if we don't count the dream sequence. Now this is a lot of new and important stuff to chew on and to make it even more interesting, we get to talk with Emhyr himself and find out that Cirilla is alive but definitely not well.

Now this is a fuckload of new information and we're supposed to go ahead and discuss it with Yennefer, the woman we've just been reunited with after a brief introduction. This dialogue is pretty straight forward, just like the one in White Orchard. You have two options which both lead to the same result, but then you can also ask an additional question which makes the whole thing crazy...

I would like to analyse this dialogue part by part and tend to general reactions and opinions I've seen so far. Some people liked it, some people complained about it, my impression was quite neutral.

I liked Yennefer and her reactions, but I don't think I liked some of the dialogue options in general.

[video=youtube;S9-wbJ0YQ70]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9-wbJ0YQ70&feature=youtu.be[/video]

CDPR opens the dialogue with a typical Geralt and Yennefer banter, which is just awesome, considering how early
in the game it is. We could already witness this in White Orchard, but not to that extent.

Look - that's more or less what she looks like now, or so our agents claim. Our little daughter witcher has grown into a young lady.

Here you have two options which both have the same result. However, one of them is a bit unpleasant, while the other
is yet another compliment. Whatever path Geralt takes, it leads him to the most important thing in witcher universe: Ciri.

1. So they're our agents now?

Geralt: Hm, so they're "our" agents now? My, my... you've clearly settled in quick.
Yennefer: Geralt, don't twist my words. I know who Emhyr is. He started this war and its bloodshed. He had my friends killed. But I haven't any other choice, so please... let's not belabor the pros and cons and instead focus on finding Ciri.

I think this part was handled more than well. You got what you were asking for. Yennefer makes her motives clear and pretty much tells you that she's only using Emhyr in order to find Ciri. I liked the provocative way Geralt asks the question and the answer he gets is even better.

2. Yeah... all grown up.

Geralt:
How about that... she's grown up.
Yennefer:
It's been years since you trained together at Kaer Morhen. A great deal has changed.
Geralt:
You haven't. Not a bit.
Yennefer:
Hm.I missed those awkward compliments of yours... But let's focus on Ciri, all right?

This part is great too. It makes book readers so fucking happy, but it might feel a bit weird for newcomers. You can see their eyes and facial expressions, just like yin and yang. If you decide to go with more "tempting" options during your dialogues in White Orchard and Vizima, you probably discover more than you originally wanted to if you weren't that familiar with them haha. You realize how long and deep their relationship is, if it's too early in the game or not - that's
a very good question. In the end I have to say it's balanced well enough.

Both options lead us to Geralt saying: "Right. Emhyr said the Wild Hunt's after her. I'd find that hard to believe, before what happened yesterday. How did they track us down?"

Yennefer:
Because of me. You see... I've spent months searching for Ciri. Using locating spells, haruspicy, geomancy, anything, really. I knew the Wild Hunt might sense it, perhaps even find me, but... I thought I'd tricked them.
Geralt: Well, guess you were wrong.
Yennefer: Hm. I've sensed them on my trail, hunting me, for some time. If not for you and Emhyr's soldiers, they'd have gotten what they were after. I can't risk another encounter like that. It's time to put away the magic, turn to more traditional methods... to the best tracker I know. You must find her, Geralt. Before the Wild Hunt does.

You have an additional dialogue option which I tend to forget about, or let's say just remove from my head...

What's the Wild Hunt want from Ciri?

Yennefer:
I've no clue Geralt. Might've written them to ask, but I don't have their address. I know as much as you do.
It must be about her blood, her gift. As for what the Hunt wishes to do with that gift, I'd prefer not to think about, really.

I loved the irony, don't get me wrong. I think the explanation might feel a bit lackluster though, which is why I don't see a reason to include it in the dialogue, if you're not given a full explanation. This might be in order not to confuse new players too much, but I would expect a different reaction from both of them really, considering the fact that Geralt and Yennefer both spent a fair amount of time with Wild Hunt and they both knew what Eredin was after, not to mention they knew about Ciri's powers and what everyone wanted to do with them in the books, but yeah, let's jump to the main dialogue option...

So where's Ciri been seen?

Geralt:
So where's Ciri been seen, exactly?
Yennefer:
In two places - Velen and Novigrad. The trail in Velen is most promising. You should make that your first stop. Ask for a merchant Hendrik at the Inn at the Crossroads. One of the emperor's agents, he should get in touch with you.
Geralt:
That's it? No passwords, secret handshakes?
Yennefer:
None. Sorry to spoil your fun, your boyhood fantasies about the crafts of the trade. All we have in Novigrad are unconfirmed reports, rumors. But there you will have the help of our mutual acquaintance.

Here it comes ladies and gentlemen. CDPR is dropping the bomb. Fasten your seatbelts, this will be a crazy ride!

Look at her face. Look at her eyes. Look at her expression.

Yennefer:
Triss Merigold. Apparently she's got a cozy flat on the main square.
Geralt:
Sure she'll be delighted to see me. What about you? What will you do?

Bravo Geralt! Fucking bravo! Changing the topic quickly!

Yennefer:
I shall sail for Skelige. There was a magic explosion there recently, blew half a forest down.
I believe this had something to do with Ciri. I'll be in Kaer Trolde. Join me there once you've learned something.

1. Time to get going.

Geralt:
Guess this means we need to split up again. Not my preference, but I understand. Clock's ticking.
Yennefer:
It is indeed. My biological clock is ticking. So, why don't I teleport you to Velen, get you there at once?
Geralt:
Not gonna happen. I'll go on horseback. Soon as I can get changed.
Yennefer:
Have it your way. Oh, and... you really look quite dashing in black velvet.
Geralt:
Think so? Maybe I can have some of my armor lined with it. Hm. Good luck, Yen.
Yennefer:
Same to you. And if you wish to learn what's happened in the world while you and Vesemir roamed the wilderness, talk to Ambassador var Attre. That's him, over there. And Geralt, I know it's wartime, but try not to be
a hero, all right? Just check those leads and come back to me - in one piece. *kiss* I shall be waiting.

Way to go Geralt, you smooth bastard!

Dodging those bullets so good I'm not so sure if I'm playing Witcher 3 or Matrix!

But wait... That's not it! Wouldn't the dialogue be just perfect this way? Some inconsistencies about Wild Hunt,
but overall a great fucking chat which introduces Yennefer and her relationship with Geralt very well.

But CDPR has balls. CDPR decided to answer to the call of wilderness - book readers.

Bold fucking move. I love it. I have to admit... I didn't expect this. Not at all.

Later in the game during Yennefer's romance? Maybe. But right now? Right here? Nope. Definitely not.

They are actually doing it.

2. Before we part... why didn't you contact me earlier?

Geralt:
One thing before we go... Why didn't you contact me? Didn't need me, didn't even want to see me?
Yennefer:
I didn't want to spoil things. I'd heard you and Triss made a great couple.
Geralt:
Yen... I'd lost my memory.
Yennefer:
Really - that's your excuse? Let's drop it, all right? "It's not what you think" or "it helped me understand
how much I love you" - I don't wish to hear it, any of it.

Oh yeah, typical Geralt. Talk about dodging a shot from a 9mm and then running right into a fucking bazooka missile.

But well, CDPR decided to open this topic, and not just from the surface. They went balls deep.

How do I even react to this? My first reaction before the emotions kicked me right into the gut: I liked it. I mean even though it seems completely a bit out of the context considering Yennefer's character in the books, they still did okay.
Considering the amount of courage this step had to take, they handled it well enough imho and the moment served
its justice indeed. A little bit of Rosamunde Pilcher can never hurt you, like my wife likes to say.

But is this really the case? I've seen all the discussions and rant about this "topic". Does it really make any sense?

Was it really necessary? I don't think so.

How would you imagine this moment though? How would you picture it yourself?

Hm, you know Geralt... I wasn't looking for you and I didn't feel like letting you know that Ciri is alive
and back was important either because that's not what I was supposed to do in this canon.
Uh, you know Yen... They erased my memory and then forced me to choose between Shani and some tryhard cosplayer of yours.
Oh well, I hope you went with Shani, for your own sake. You know... No need to make things so weird.
Yeah, I suppose. But then in the second game Triss jumps at me regardless so yeah... I hope you can sympathize with me a bit.
Geralt please. You talk about amnesia, but you were pretty much removed from my life and I wasn't even
in the games personally so...
I see, I see... I understand, trust me. It was painful for me as well. Sorry but we can't make love just yet.
I need to see Triss first. Bye.

So yeah I don't know. For me personally this dialogue option doesn't feel that necessary, just like the Wild Hunt one.
They don't feel natural. I'm not saying they're both completely out of context, but well... You know.

If CDPR decided to handle it this way, then there should also be an option to say something among these lines:
"The rumours you've heard aren't true... We're nothing but friends, Triss and I - definitely not a couple".

What if the player didn't romance Triss in the first two games or tried to shut her down as much as possible?
How does this make any sense at all in that case? Memory loss? A great couple? Please.

But yeah, these are just my dark thoughts, my inner demon was speaking, ignore it guys.

Last edited:
And I don't want to fall in the same trap of "one and unique" people and be unable to see what other people can feel with different information. I'd rather liked ALL gamers have an equal opportunity to find Yennefer as a strong lover option too and have serious doubts about who could be my best choice (isn't that the fun of the previous TW games?.... at the end of the game. Not on the begining or in the middle.

Richard Cobbett published a great article about TW3 yesterday, and there's a brilliant phrase:

you wouldn’t for instance expect a Star Wars game to stop the action to explain what The Force is

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/07/23/the-witcher-3-ending/

I'm still thinking that Yen's introduction is, at least, satisfying. Maybe not a perfect phrasing sometimes, but still ok. CDPR shouldn't be afraid of discouraging some people, because equal number of people would be interested with such approach - I'm sure of it, and here were citations of such posts :)

People bitching about Yen being jealous is ridiculous.Geralt cheated on her and it was somehow Yen's fault?The amnesia excuse doesn't work,because we all know that the majority of players still had sex with Triss and gave her the rose,even after Geralt remembered Yen.I think the reason why some players disliked Yen from the very beginning was because she didn't fit the stereotype of a love interest,which we so often see.Yen doesn't exist to please the player,it's the player who should please her.It's kinda shocking for some people to see a female character like Yen.

As a player that only plays the W3(on my second playthrough now) and just starting to read the books, I am immediately attracted to Yen character. Although, she is quite brash, she intrigues me. Just like Morrigan in Dragon Age and Miranda in Mass Effect did.

Though there are problems all around, with inconsistencies to the canon, the easy villain, I really think CDPR did a great job with the game. It is just, they did not capture the whole magnificence of the Witcher Saga from the books. The sheer amount of characters that they want to cramp into the games will undoubtedly push some characters out of focus.

And as W3 is a game about the interaction between Ciri - Geralt, the importance that CDPR put the focus also on Yen is understandable. But only to those that know about their prior relationship from the books will truly understand why Yen is the female lead that CDPR put a focus on. Though they still dropped on the mother-daughter interaction, this is still a good reason why Yen gets more screen time.

All of this is only my humblest opinion.

If CDPR decided to handle it this way, then there should also be an option to say something like "The rumours you've heard aren't true. We're nothing but friends, Triss and I - definitely not a couple".

How a simple sentence can open free choices for gamers (gamers, no readers) Thank you. Peacemaker San

---------- Updated at 11:15 AM ----------

Yes,but it's not CDPR fault,that people see what they want to see.

Basic rules of communication:

The misunderstood of a message is in th emissor first. Once is proved the emission of the message is correctly done, then the misunderstood comes from receptor.

@Wasaabii28
Goooood Post !

People bitching about Yen being jealous is ridiculous.Geralt cheated on her and it was somehow Yen's fault?The amnesia excuse doesn't work,because we all know that the majority of players still had sex with Triss and gave her the rose,even after Geralt remembered Yen.I think the reason why some players disliked Yen from the very beginning was because she didn't fit the stereotype of a love interest,which we so often see.Yen doesn't exist to please the player,it's the player who should please her.It's kinda shocking for some people to see a female character like Yen.

I posted this a month ago:

I'm reading interesting topic on Reddit "People who have not read the books or played previous witcher games: How did you feel about the Yennefer/Triss choice?"

some of the replies from fans, which never read the books:

lol

------
Well there are tons of other topics on Reddit and tumblr and other international gaming and book forums talking about similar stuff - I read a lot of them and see that it is really like 50/50....Triss and Yennefer are really remarkable characters! :)

My opologies. I've been mistaken all this time. Sorry.

Last edited:

Wierd... because it's a Sapkowski creation... So, following the logical thread, the reason why some players liked Triss from the very begining was because she does fit the sterotype of a love intrerest we so often see? Now I can understand why some people call me elitist if I chose Yen... Poor Triss, how low she falled.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom