1.07 FPS Decrease (Video)

+
Just got a totally inept reply from Customer Support which tells me what fps I can expect from a 970 at Ultra settings.

Totally ignored the video that shows what settings I use and the FPS I get, opting to just regurgitate the recommended systems specs instead.

Unbelievable..

Mind posting it?

"Hello there,

Expected FPS for GeForce GTX 970 on Ultra, in FullHD without HairWorks is ~30 FPS. (min. 21, avg. 43)

GeForce GTX 970 is not powerful enough to run The Witcher 3 on stable 60+ FPS on Ultra in FullHD."

Well, that's a bit sad. Maybe a dev will actually acknowledge the issue here on the thread itself.

I've always had problems in Novigrad (similar to yours) + it being a giant stuttering fest here. And not only on Novigrad, also Oxenfurt and villages. Though patch 1.07 actually helped me in that aspect.

I've been playing on FullHD Ultra (even with Hairworks sometimes, and Ultra+ Tweaking + Reshade Preset) using a controller, and my FPS never went lower than 30 o_O
The controller makes 30-40-50 FPS not THAT bad and i'm not really getting any massive drops from nowhere. (With the exception of what i said above)

I'm legit curious to know a spot in which it could drop to 21 FPS on a 970 at FullHD Ultra.

Last edited:
Gallarian, assuming you sent him the video you posted earlier, and not to ignore the issue for which you made it, to be fair in that vid almost none of your settings are at Ultra.

Not excusing that reply at all, but perhaps the reason this person did not send it on to the Support Team was because he thought he could answer a basic question on required settings himself (I assume they are getting alot of similar emails currently).

I'd reply and clarify to him that is not why you are contacting support, and ask if the link can be forwarded to Tech Support.

well, considering i get 35-45 fps, with dips to 25 using HIGH on a 7870 ghz ed.

in real world performance, gtx 970 being maybe 50-75% more powerful, so you should be able to maintain 61.5 fps on high/1080p.

of course, NPC spawning still locks the graphics thread, so there will still be pops/stutter there.

Probably a bit lower than that.

On my 980 I can only maintain VSync 60 (with no major dips) while in Novigrad or in thick woods if I turn Hairworks off totally and bump Foliage and Shadows down to High.

Gallarian, assuming you sent him the video you posted earlier, and not to ignore the issue for which you made it, to be fair in that vid almost none of your settings are at Ultra.

Not excusing that reply at all, but perhaps the reason this person did not send it on to the Support Team was because he thought he could answer a basic question on required settings himself (I assume they are getting alot of similar emails currently).

I'd reply and clarify to him that is not why you are contacting support, and ask if the link can be forwarded to Tech Support.

Yup, I sent the video, a save game file and several image files, and he chose to ignore all of them.

The point is I am fully aware of what my system can do. Pre-1.07 I had played for 200hours and tailored my graphics settings to mean that it never dropped below 60 anywhere.

But instead of actually taking the time to understand my issue, he basically said 'Whats your problem? Your GPU is too weak to run the game at 60fps Ultra so why are you moaning?'.

I sent a reply back expressing my disappointment in his reply, and clarifying that my issue is not about average framerate, but about a bug that causes a massive 30fps drop in a non-graphically intense area that my system is capable of running at 85fps (as proved at the start of the video), for apparently no reason.

Still no follow up reply.

The developers already stated before that this game cannot run 60 fps with cards lower then a gtx 980, unless u turn [tone down] things image quality wise.

I dont miss the point, that could be so, but thats because they probably increased image quality, dont expect to run this game with 60 fps on a gtx 970 thats imposible on ultra.

Yeah.. you have definitely missed the point.

This thread is NOT about running the game at Ultra on any piece of hardware. Everyone here is fully aware that a 970 cannot max this game at 60fps, especially me.

This thread IS about a bug that causes a strange fps drop in a specific area of Novigrad, nothing else.

i think he was just making a statement regarding you communication with the staff, as i was, about which FPS you can excpect on that card, nothing more ;\

just wondering tho, doubt it but are you hitting 3.5gb vram at that point? according to nvidia, performance may drop by 5-15% when exceeding 3.5gb on those gpus. if so, try lowering settings and see if you can repro the effect.

Last edited:
i think he was just making a statement regarding you communication with the staff, as i was, about which FPS you can excpect on that card, nothing more ;\

just wondering tho, doubt it but are you hitting 3.5gb vram at that point? according to nvidia, performance may drop by 5-15% when exceeding 3.5gb on those gpus. if so, try lowering settings and see if you can repro the effect.

Ive experimented with the lowest possible settings and the same bug still occurs.

---------- Updated at 08:57 PM ----------

Heres two screenshots.

The first one is when I load into the game in that area: View attachment 19724

This second one is when I leave that area and come back: View attachment 19725

Exactly the same video settings. Exactly the same scene. 32fps difference. That is a BUG gentlemen, not a 'your gpu isn't good enough' problem.

Just to put it into perspective; here's the most demanding scene I could find in Novigrad. A big open space with around 30-40 NPCs on screen, as well as multiple fire effects (including Geralt holding a torch which reduces FPS by around 5 on its own), using the same video settings as in the two screen shots above:View attachment 19726

As you can see, 69fps. Much higher than the 58fps seen in that much less demanding second screenshot.

Do I need to provide any more proof that this is a technical bug with the game and not a hardware power issue?

Attachments

• ScrnshotFPS3.jpg
    ScrnshotFPS3.jpg
    335.4 KB · Views: 65
  • ScrnshotFPS4.jpg
    ScrnshotFPS4.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 34
  • ScrnshotFPS.jpg
    ScrnshotFPS.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Driver Version: 353.30

Background programs: MSI Afterburner, Geforce Experience, Fraps

I've tried different video settings and turning off all of the above programs.

Also tried verifying game files; there was 1.1gb missing, but still this bug persists.

Good thing you have a N-GPU, as I'm using an A-GPU, which afterburner absolutely decimates my frame rate by 10-25 fps! But yeah, my guess is their "improvement" on the way the game loads the assets is what contributes to this problem..

.....Do I need to provide any more proof that this is a technical bug with the game and not a hardware power issue?

Nope. I went back and tested this again. And I lowered some settings and turned off vsync so I was around avg'ing 85-90 in Novigrad, including this location.

I then saved the game, and went on the little tour you did in the orig video. When I got back to that same location, FPS was indeed down to 50-55.

edit: may not be same issue you're experience, try walking away form roach. i notice your fps drops slowly as you ride away, then when you ride closer again, not sure if thats due to your camera angle or something in the video.

well i tried to repro it again, but can't.

must be an nvidia thing.

ok, i was able to repro it on horseback...

been doing it on foot this whole time

however, it seems to occur as soon as i get on roach.

insant drop from 42 to 35 fps when mounted...

fps doesnt go back up until i walk away from roach.

when i return, the fps is as normal, even when looking directly at him.

mount, and again, fps drop.

so it's a roach issue.

actually, if i get the camera real close to him, i can get 36 fps...

so it's just prob the horse model. no bug here.

then when you walk away, the LOD drops.

i dunno, seems like an expensive horse model, even in my case, that's a 20-25% drop (6-7 fps), no hairworks.

other areas of novi, not as drastic, from 39/40 fps to 35-36, about 10% drop. tested open wilderness too, about the same 3-4 fps drop. so it's just that one area, not sure why.

anyways, if it's not the roach issue, then must be nvidia-specific, cuz i can't repro anything other than that.

only other thing i can see is, that area is a bit more taxing when look at the archway (with 4 braziers), but not by much, maybe 5%. yours seems to slow down on the small arch to the right though.

hmm, may have something to do with lighting conditions too. not seeing the same 20-25% drop during day as before (during morning/eve). at night the archway drops even further due to dynamic lighting from the braziers.

well, i'm out of ideas. that large drop may just have been due to the angles i was looking at before/after mounting horse. can't see it being anything much other than that, with some minimal lighting effect. maybe 10-15% performance drop on horseback.

in your case, losing about 20% fps, 75-80 down to 60-65. try walking away from roach, or post same video on foot.

Last edited:
Its not roach, I've tried the same experiment totally on foot without Roach being spawned anywhere near me, let alone on camera, and the same thing happens.

---------- Updated at 09:35 AM ----------

Nope. I went back and tested this again. And I lowered some settings and turned off vsync so I was around avg'ing 85-90 in Novigrad, including this location.

I then saved the game, and went on the little tour you did in the orig video. When I got back to that same location, FPS was indeed down to 50-55.

Finally, someone can fully understand my problem!

I doubt it's the drivers, but I can try some older ones.

The effect is much more noticeable at 70+ fps. This is why I didn't think there was much to this when I initially tried it. Had Vsync on with settings @ Ultra, so I was between 50-60.

This appears to be the same bug I reported in this thread: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/54528-SLI-GTX-970s-area-and-time-dependent-frame-drops

First passes of problem areas are fine. Returning to them causes frame loss. I'm running the same drivers as OP.

I can confirm this happens around the cave west of Pellar's Hut, especially if standing on the cliff above the cave entrance.

---------- Updated at 03:58 AM ----------

I dont miss the point, that could be so, but thats because they probably increased image quality, dont expect to run this game with 60 fps on a gtx 970 thats imposible on ultra.

Can you read? Can you SEE? His video shows an area running at one framerate. He leaves and returns, and its running at a completely different, shittier framerate. It has nothing to do with how powerful his card is. The game is doing something that's causing massive performance loss when re-entering certain areas, like it's rendering everything twice or something.

Last edited:
Top Bottom