[Major Spoilers] Why I believe relationship centered content to be central to improving the Witcher 3

+
6. Help Ciri support her friends by stealing the horses.

This is such a missed opportunity, but also a huge, gaping hole in consistency of making these breaking points. The whole thing is perfect as it is, it just makes ZERO sense not to include this as a relationship/character builder for Ciri. Probably easiest one to adjust, should CDPR ever consider doing it.

I was convinced when I played it that it would contribute to the ending in some capacity, because the whole 'Payback' quest is very much a Ciri/Geralt bonding one. Though I think that any changes to the main storyline in this way could be very difficult to implement, but I'm no expert so I can't say for sure.

Agreed with almost all the Points but

The choices you make lead to one of three endings:

1. Ciri is (possibly) dead, Geralt then kills himself by monster.
2. Ciri follows in her biological father's footsteps and becomes the Empress of Nilfgaard.
3. Ciri follows her adoptive father's (Geralt's) footsteps and becomes a Witcheress.

I see You understand very well the Witcher lore but why you assume that A witcher makes Suicide=?Thats a little to far fetched in my eyes.Have we not learnd that most the time in GAMES/Movies its allways against all odds in the END the Witcher wins :)
Remember the Kaer Mohen incident with Cirrila turns in to a rampage Hurrican starting to drag all in to the black Hole=?Just because our Witcher Grandpa is DEAD.Do you see Geraldo gos after that on RAMPAGE MODE and kill evry single ENEMY=? NO you know why=Mutant ergo no emotion ! A emotionless Person will always be logical .Best example MR.Spook vs Cpt.Kirk debatte is one Life worth to save above all others=?Logic Vs Emotion
And thats the main Reason to how it fits that so called bad endings, from my perspective. Cirilla has emotion, (Ticking nuke bomb) and have her around on Monsterhunt or whatever other Enemys in the Univers Exist, there will be no Avalac who will save us from her.

Still all other points are more then valid but i missed the shock moments,The regret Factor in TW3 is non Exist for me.

I posted this on reddit as well if you want to join the discussion there.

The Core of the Game

Despite this game being an open-world action RPG with all the trappings that that genre implies, this game is at it's core about relationships. Specifically about Geralt and his relationships to the people around him, his "family". This is easily one of the most personal games out there, despite it being full of politics, war, and monster slaying. We, as Geralt, get to be involved in other people's stories for a time and possibly shape how they end. It's so well done that it becomes frustrating later in the game when these relationships fade into the background. If this were a movie or a novel it would make sense as the plot must move ever forward. This isn't like a movie or a novel in that respect though. The plot can be paused so that we can explore and take in the world. It can be experienced in different ways in different orders or multiple paths. So when the relationships that Geralt, and the player, have taken all this time to build get stuck despite the rapidly changing world around them it feels like there's a hole that needs filling. I believe that these issues should be a major focus for CDPR before moving on to their next game.

Ciri

Thankfully, the central most relationship (Geralt and Ciri's) is also the most explored. That said, it isn't without some oddities: The choices that govern Ciri's fate feel a little trivial. They seem like small moments and decisions in between much larger moments and decisions. I get what the devs are going for here and I agree with them to an extent. I just think there needs to be more decisions that matter. Right now Ciri's fate rests on five decisions Geralt must make in the game:

1. You have to have a snowball fight with Ciri.
2. You have to refuse payment from Emhyr
3. You have to let Ciri talk to the Lodge on her own.
4. You have to let Ciri ransack Avallac'h's laboratory
5. You have to help Ciri bury Skjall.

The choices you make lead to one of three endings:

1. Ciri is (possibly) dead, Geralt then kills himself by monster.
2. Ciri follows in her biological father's footsteps and becomes the Empress of Nilfgaard.
3. Ciri follows her adoptive father's (Geralt's) footsteps and becomes a Witcheress.

The only one I find a little strange is the decision to destroy Avallac'h's lab counting as a good decision. On the one hand I understand that the point of these decisions is to let Ciri be Ciri. On the other hand it seems like a small, petty, decision especially considering the effect it can have on the ending. It would be nice if, for example, helping the elves (during the "Payback" quest) steal the horses also counted positively to her fate. In fact, I believe most of Geralt's interactions with Ciri should count in one way or another. For instance, it would be nice if Geralt could lose the rock-paper-scissors game (or choose to let her go) and then Ciri could fight Imlerith herself (counting as another +1).

Another thing I want to bring up is the reason Geralt's decisions matter so much to Ciri. For someone as strong-willed as Ciri is it seems strange that what Geralt says to her would decide whether she dies or not. Having more instances where what he says counts helps but I believe it would be much better for her to feel like she is alone right at the end. The strongest way this could be done is if Avallac'h betrays her for his own ends. This means that the only people left for her to trust right at the end is Geralt. This makes what Geralt says to her more important than ever in those final moments.

Romance

I've seen a lot of people mention that the romantic content is weirdly paced and doesn't have a proper pay-off in the last part of the game. These are some fantastically written characters and it really feels like one of the biggest choices we can make in the game. Unfortunately, the game has little reaction to this choice. If you choose Triss, she becomes little more than a background extra after the main Novigrad segment. A lot of the conflict that would be a natural consequence to such a choice is ignored. While, Yennefer is better represented in the last half of the game she is barely present for the first half. Players start off with an unfair opinion of her because she seems quite cold towards Geralt at the beginning. The scenes in Vizima hint at a lot of the different colors of their relationship but we just don't have enough time to get used to her character.

There are a few ways to improve these issues. In Novigrad, Triss and Geralt could call Yen with a megascope for a status update. She could show a little bit of her softer side, even show a hint that she and Triss are/were friends. Some of the starting quests in Skellige could have their level requirements lowered. Later, a scene could play out where Yen and Triss confront each other. It even feels like the part in Kaer Morhen when Yennefer tosses the bed out the window is a good starting point for a confrontation:

1. Yen throws out the bed.

2. When we arrive Vesimir mentions it.

3. We go to the bed in the courtyard and Triss is standing next to it. Cue conversation.

4. We confront Yen and she teleports you to the lake outside.

5. You return and Triss is there this time and the argument starts.

Pieces of the argument could differ depending on who you romanced but no matter who you romanced I feel like this kind of confrontation could still happen.

It would be nice to see Ciri react to Geralt's choice and bring it up at some point. Triss is like a sister to her and (if you romance Triss) Geralt and Yen become like an ex-husband/wife, that has to affect her in some way. I also would like to see some scenes between characters that don't really share scenes. I would love to see Yen and Ciri have more mother/daughter time, or Yen and Triss try to reconcile their differences, or Ciri and Triss share a moment. These characters are all closely linked and we only get hints towards this in the game.

Finally, an extended epilogue (even if it's just a small scene in Dandelion's inn) would allow fans to say goodbye to many of these characters since this is probably the last time we'll see them in any major capacity. There are also questions left unanswered as to the fate of some these characters. What happens to Triss if you go with Yen or Yen if you choose Triss? What happens to Dandelion, Zoltan, or Priscilla?

Eredin and Other Antagonists

I'll be honest, I don't really know how some of the antagonists can be improved here. This is where a more extensive book knowledge might really help. I do know, though, that the antagonists are barely developed in this game. A good villain has a strong antagonistic relationship with the protagonist and the Hunt seems to have an inherent connection to Ciri, Geralt, and Yennefer that has been hinted from the two previous games and the books. Unfortunately, it's barely explored. Eredin is an imposing figure and has a lot of potential but it feels like there are motivations there that aren't strongly established. Does he want to bring his people to this world and conquer humanity? What's at stake for him if he fails? What did Geralt do while he was with the Hunt? What does Ge'els want? How does Avallac'h have such a large change of heart from the books to this game? Avallac'h briefly talks about Caranthir being his protege but we don't get any dialogue between them or anything further development of that relationship. We have very little context for these characters and if CDPR can fill out these characters and how they relate to each other it will help fix some of the issues with the plot in the third act.

We also have characters like Djikstra, who seems to have a grudging friendship building with Geralt, take a sudden left turn in the "Reasons of State" quest and betray a bunch of people close to Geralt. This is presented to the player as a choice but considering our relationship to him versus our relationship to the others we would have to let die (Roche, Thaler, and Ves) it's not a hard one. In the end it feels like a contrivance to further the plot rather than stay true to the characters or even CDPR's intentions with player choice. Other characters like Francis Bedlam and Cleaver just seem to disappear when it seemed like they would be playing a large role in the endgame.

Conclusion

I know this is a popular topic for discussion and some of you might be sick of seeing posts like this, but we see them because what we have in the game resonates with a lot of people. I love this game. I wouldn't be writing this wall of text if I didn't already believe in this game and it's developers. It is absolutely one of my favorites but it is not my all-time favorite YET.

I want to draw to people's attention to the fact that CDPR have said that they have no plans for an Enhanced Edition at the moment and I think the community needs to continue/renew calls for one. If you guys want this let CDPR know, even if, in the end, all our complaints can't be fixed. I think we would all love to see CDPR properly payoff the story they have so expertly crafted.​

Completely agree. This thread sums nearly all problems of this game, and it's my opinoin too this game it's not best game of all time, but has the potential to became so. I was also thinking in particular about Priscilla's fate. I don't understand what happened to her. I'm of Triss team, and would like even more addings to her story, but, for example, they built up other great characters (Emhyr, Zoltan, the Bloody baron, Fringilla Vigo, Rita and so on) but they gave them little light during the whole story.​

I fear I have to disagree with the OP.

First, this game isn't about relationships at its core. It's actually less about relationships than Witcher 2 was.

Second, the game sufferes from many different limitations - budget limitations, narrative limitations, franchise limitations. Most of these limitations can't be fixed easily or at all.

Third, story, relationships and characters are always subjective, at least once they are consistent. They won't ever satisfy everyone no matter what they do.

Forth, expecations for this game and its story are very different based on what knowledge you have (books, games, nothing at all). It's almost impossible to serve everyone.

Honestly, this is just a bottomless pit. No reasonable Enhanced Edition would ever be able to "fix" that. We should just learn to take the game as it is and accept it how it is. We have to deal with it.

I fear I have to disagree with the OP.

First, this game isn't about relationships at its core. It's actually less about relationships than Witcher 2 was.

Second, the game sufferes from many different limitations - budget limitations, narrative limitations, franchise limitations. Most of these limitations can't be fixed easily or at all.

Third, story, relationships and characters are always subjective, at least once they are consistent. They won't ever satisfy everyone no matter what they do.

Forth, expecations for this game and its story are very different based on what knowledge you have (books, games, nothing at all). It's almost impossible to serve everyone.

Honestly, this is just a bottomless pit. No reasonable Enhanced Edition would ever be able to "fix" that. We should just learn to take the game as it is and accept it how it is. We have to deal with it.

I have gotten more out of this game than what I would have expected.

As you can see 200+ of great entertainment are certainly worth more than what I paid, even if we consider that I paid for expansions what aren't you yet. I would buy them again if I could too.

Yet, I was one of those who "suffered" because of the points that the OP included. Did it ruin my experience of the game completely? No. Did it make it worse? Yes.

Being both a gamer and a book reader (is that a word)?. I tend to value more the story than the gameplay itself. My most memorable memories in gaming are not when I got that ubber +10 sword or when I defeated that boss or whatever. Rather, they are about moments like Triss quests in Novigrad, the last wish quest, Geralt finding Ciri, finding Letho, tower full of mice, bloody baron questline, etc etc. There are MANY great moment in this game.

And, to further explain my point, from Now or Never, I enjoyed more the scene at the docks than the fight against the vampire, in the last wish, I appreciated more the dialogue that they have that the fight against the djin, during the bloody baron's line I appreciated more the dialogues with him and his redemption than the fight against the wraiths as he was carrying the botcling, etc etc.

I certainly enjoy fighting, collecting stuff, etc. And this is a game, so all that stuff has to be there and it has to be good (and it certainly is). However, if they were to add to this game and were to spend resources on it, I'd rather they do it on character interactions and dialogue and not in new enemies to fight, loot, etc.

I have gotten more out of this game than what I would have expected.

As you can see 200+ of great entertainment are certainly worth more than what I paid, even if we consider that I paid for expansions what aren't you yet. I would buy them again if I could too.

Yet, I was one of those who "suffered" because of the points that the OP included. Did it ruin my experience of the game completely? No. Did it make it worse? Yes.

Being both a gamer and a book reader (is that a word)?. I tend to value more the story than the gameplay itself. My most memorable memories in gaming are not when I got that ubber +10 sword or when I defeated that boss or whatever. Rather, they are about moments like Triss quests in Novigrad, the last wish quest, Geralt finding Ciri, finding Letho, tower full of mice, bloody baron questline, etc etc. There are MANY great moment in this game.

And, to further explain my point, from Now or Never, I enjoyed more the scene at the docks than the fight against the vampire, in the last wish, I appreciated more the dialogue that they have that the fight against the djin, during the bloody baron's line I appreciated more the dialogues with him and his redemption than the fight against the wraiths as he was carrying the botcling, etc etc.

I certainly enjoy fighting, collecting stuff, etc. And this is a game, so all that stuff has to be there and it has to be good (and it certainly is). However, if they were to add to this game and were to spend resources on it, I'd rather they do it on character interactions and dialogue and not in new enemies to fight, loot, etc.

I value story myself more than anything else as well. And that's my biggest failure. Because deep within I wanted this game just to be a continuation of the books (which I love to the teeth) - on the same level and quality of the books. And no matter what CDPR does - they can never ever reach that level. No matter if they "fix" some things with characters and story, it won't ever be enough, at least not for me. They will never get to the point that the characters and the world I have in mind is congruent with the one they have in mind. They might change some things and perhaps it's even worse for me after that.
And then again, the game has issues that are less subjective, like the complete lack of moral choice and player agency in the last third of the game. Or the spectacle creep ending that is totally ouf of place and pacing. Is that "easy" to fix? I don't think so. It's probably not worth the effort anyway.

So if I had to choose I'd want them to leave TW3 as it is and spend their creative energy on Cyberpunk where they can tell great stories without the burden of Sapkowski's heritage and the creative limitations that come with it. Why spending extensive resource trying to fix something most people are already done with if you could use the same energy to create something new and fresh, something where you're not in the snake pit from the get-go? ;)

Excellent post and it incorporates a lot of what I've discussed in the Triss Merigold thread these last few weeks. I'd like to add two further points.

First is romance as a game mechanic. It's incredibly poorly designed. Due to the decision on whom to romance coming in Act 1, and further due to the lack of characterisation both Triss and Yen suffer from, it's incredibly easy to end up locked in a romance you didn't want or worse, end up in a romance with both women and suffer the Geralt alone ending. There's an incredibly easy way to fix this. After the threesome scene, Geralt is confronted by both women who demand he makes a choice.

1. Yen
2. Triss
3. Alone

It requires only a small cut scene with limited dialogue to fix. Once the decision is made, the game recognises that as your romance choice.

In addition to this, specifically for the abortion that is the Triss romance, you have to look at the flow of each romance option's characterisation through the game. Yennefer appaers in the Dream, the prologue, Skellige (act 1), most of Act 2 and almost the entirety of Act 3. By comparison, Triss only has limited characterisation. Three times in Novigrad (act 1) and once, briefly, in Novigrad again during act 3. Taking the romance element out of the equation for the moment, that's too long between interactions to successfully develop Triss as a character. She needs additional material spread across the final two acts so that you always feel she's an important part of Geralt's life.

The other issue is that the game does a very poor job at explaining certain world events. Two of the most important are the Aen Elle and the White Frost. Ciri explains that Eredin's world is dying and he needs to conquer ours yet when you visit the Aen Elle world, it's a beautiful place as commented on by Geralt. No further investigation in to this claim is ever made. We never have the chance to look at events from their perspective so the game reduces them to generic 'bad guys'. When everything else in The Witcher trilogy is nuanced, this is reduced to black and white without good reason. The best bad guys are those the reader/viewer uncomfortably finds themselves relating to.

The Bloody Baron is a perfect example of this and is probably the best written story in the entire game. Here is a bully of a man who likes to get drunk and throw his considerable weight around and beat on his wife. For all the world he is a monster when you first meet him. An utter prick. Yet should the player choose to, you can dig beneath the surface and explore this man and his life in a way that provides more depth. One can then find themselves actually sympathising with him (although never condoning) because his relationship with his family is far more nuanced than it initally appears. Yet for all Eredin's importance on the game, his relationship with Geralt, Yennefer and Ciri, we never get the chance to explore his character to the same depth as we do Stringer's. Had the same level of depth been written in to him as the Baron we'd have had one of the best antagonists of all time.

Finally, as for the White Frost, that ending comes completely out of left field. The game never explains why the bloody hell Ciri is going off to fight a snow storm. Up until this point, from the end of the dream, throughout the game, the White Frost is an Ice Age that comes to all worlds eventually. The subtle undertones are presented as this is the end that comes to us all. It can be interoperated as death itself and Eredin's profound fear of death leading him to his actions. Only to then become an entity which can be defeated Ciri's 'blood'. It felt contrived so that the developers would have an excuse for Ciri's death to occur and was quite probably the poorest piece of writing in the entire game. That ending needs attention.

Top Bottom