Darker nights

+
Ehm...no. Actually, Loc Muinne, Vergen and Flotsam are on the same latitude of Novigrad and Oxenfurt.

Vergen and Flotsam are further South than Oxenfurt and Loc Muinne is further north than Novigrad. The difference isn't big though

When did the sun rise in The Witcher 2?

even if the sun comes earlier in the north, the game should have longer nights. we don't need that kind of realism. whatever process starts at around 3 or 4 should start at 5 or 6. there's a couple of things in game that have led me to believe that this might be some kind of mistake or bug not fixed yet

You should have less gamma, Better graphics, and the need for torches or cat is viable in some caves. But Its should be darker by default.

Last edited:
In north nights are shorter especially in spring/summer. Thats the time frame this game takes place in.

---------- Updated at 12:44 AM ----------

A lot of you are showing your ignorance and arrogance here, first sunrises happen a lot quicker in many parts of our world as well.
1: The close to the poles the longer the days in summer. Melbourne during summer sun sets at 10-11 PM in the night and by 4 am is full on dawn and this is just one of the examples.

Think a lot of you folk need to travel a bit and do not assume that day nights should be exactly like where you live.

Well you're wrong about your first point. I live in Sydney and regularly go down to Melbourne. I never noticed 'full on dawn' at 4am or the sun setting at 10 or 11pm but I thought I'd double check anyway. Here is pretty good evidence that Melbourne sunrise happens at nearly 6am in the summer.
To your credit, astro twilight does start at about 4am but this is not 'full on dawn'. Also, in the game, you see astro twilight starting I think even before 3am, or thereabouts - that just doesn't happen in Melbourne... Maybe in the far northern hemisphere it does but I wouldn't know. Melbourne isn't the greatest example given that isn't as close to the pole (at just over 5800kms away) as somewhere like Amsterdam (at just over 4200km); Novigrad, of course, being allegorical for Amsterdam.

So, maybe it makes more sense to have a look at Amsterdam sunrise/sunset?
Well, this is indeed interesting: According to date and time, astro twilight in Amsterdam in the summer is all night long (I guess that means it never gets truly dark) with the sun properly rising at around 5:20am. Well how about that? I just learned something new. Seems like CDPR totally got the day/night cycle correct. Cool.

Case closed.

---------- Updated at 12:23 PM ----------

EDIT: regarding caves, etc. not being dark enough - adjust your gamma settings and maybe the settings on your monitor. I did and I definitely need a torch/cat potion in a cave, but on a clear night I typically see just fine. Seems lore-friendly to me.

Last edited:
I think in all the time I played this game I used "cat" once....then felt it was pretty pointless, even sark caves are bright. In witcher, I remember that cave in the outskirts where I had to use torches just to see what was hitting me lol.

Dark adds to more atmosphere but I think perhaps the devs didn't want people to miss the gorgeous scenery and lighting. I like dark and mist myself.

Well it really needs to get a bit darker so that you really have the need to use a torch or a cat potion, not only in a cave but in the outer world as well.

Well you're wrong about your first point. I live in Sydney and regularly go down to Melbourne. I never noticed 'full on dawn' at 4am or the sun setting at 10 or 11pm but I thought I'd double check anyway. Here is pretty good evidence that Melbourne sunrise happens at nearly 6am in the summer.
To your credit, astro twilight does start at about 4am but this is not 'full on dawn'. Also, in the game, you see astro twilight starting I think even before 3am, or thereabouts - that just doesn't happen in Melbourne... Maybe in the far northern hemisphere it does but I wouldn't know. Melbourne isn't the greatest example given that isn't as close to the pole (at just over 5800kms away) as somewhere like Amsterdam (at just over 4200km); Novigrad, of course, being allegorical for Amsterdam.

So, maybe it makes more sense to have a look at Amsterdam sunrise/sunset?
Well, this is indeed interesting: According to date and time, astro twilight in Amsterdam in the summer is all night long (I guess that means it never gets truly dark) with the sun properly rising at around 5:20am. Well how about that? I just learned something new. Seems like CDPR totally got the day/night cycle correct. Cool.

Case closed.

---------- Updated at 12:23 PM ----------

EDIT: regarding caves, etc. not being dark enough - adjust your gamma settings and maybe the settings on your monitor. I did and I definitely need a torch/cat potion in a cave, but on a clear night I typically see just fine. Seems lore-friendly to me.

I said Melbourne as an example and it has been to long since i last visited Australia nearly 16 years so my memory might be foggy. But i do remember during Australian summer (IE December) sun set was at 10+ in the night and rose quite early. It was kind of jarring initially.

Well I think your memory deceives you mate - I'm here, have been for 29 years. Sunset is not at 10pm in Sydney or Melbourne. It never has been.
It was a bad example but your point still stands - as my half-arsed research above shows, the sun rising at around 3am and setting at 9-10pm would be accurate for that kind of longitude (assuming that this fantasy world is roughly representative of Northern Europe)

In north nights are shorter especially in spring/summer. Thats the time frame this game takes place in.

---------- Updated at 12:44 AM ----------

A lot of you are showing your ignorance and arrogance here, first sunrises happen a lot quicker in many parts of our world as well.
1: The close to the poles the longer the days in summer. Melbourne during summer sun sets at 10-11 PM in the night and by 4 am is full on dawn and this is just one of the examples.
2: Secondly you play a mutant who has cat eyes to see in the dark. Do consider the nights are brighter because you play a witcher.
3: Finally in non polluted areas moon shines quite bright indeed.

Think a lot of you folk need to travel a bit and do not assume that day nights should be exactly like where you live.

Well, there is no ignorance or arrogance here. :lol: I just like those dark nights in TW and I'd like have something similar in TW3. And I am not alone in wanting it.

Is there any mod which makes nights darker? Although I would prefer that the devs themselves made nights darker in the Enhanced edition.

What games truly need is a system slider that controls ambient light levels for games that offer day/night cycles. The problem is that black levels can be so different based on the combination of GPU, driver version, monitor hardware values, and Windows color settings (such as how Nvidia desktop color settings affect all games in windowed mode). Mods that change the in-game values to a certain levels have wildly different appearances on different systems.

It would be a neat, immersive feature to have a "Night/Light" slider in the options menu to simply customize the ambient light levels for day vs. night.

(Note: this would be independent of "Brightness" or "Gamma" settings. It would modify day vs. night levels, not overall levels.)

TW1 5:00AM Vizima

TW2 3:30AM Flotsam

TW2 3:30AM Loc Muinne

If I were to guess, I'd say that the world of the witcher is a lot smaller than the Earth. A smaller circumference could justify this big changes of the sunrise over so small distances.

---------- Updated at 01:34 AM ----------

Since we have Dawn, Midday, Dusk & Midnight, in the meditation screen, one would expect these to have a meaning.
You cannot say it is "dawn" at 6:00am when the sun's actually dawned 3 hours earlier!

Yes patching the nights to NIGHTS instead of everything around Geralt looks almost like high noon at 12a.m., is one of the most important tasks in Patch 1.9............
Some nights especially on Skellige where that ridiculous bright, they exactly looked like broad daylight but with a moon in the sky.

Has anyone ever wondered why for example cars have headlights with highbeams or why room ceilings have mounted lamps? Geralt has, because he hasn`t seen a NIGHT since Witcher 1, just minimal dimmed daylight with a moon in the sky. Some building shadows in Novigrad are darker than a night in the woods.

:rly?:

It would be great to enjoy some real needing the Cat potions and the torch instead of "whatever - day&night look almost exactly the same",
I really enjoy some creepyness and darkness around Geralt at night, especially in a survival horror game like Witcher 3, and making Geralts eyes shine in the darkness would be awesome too. Everybody likes some fear in the darkness and thinking twice before going out of the city and hunting some monsters during nighttime and starting creepy monster quests. :)

The bright nights bug me because they take the mood right out of the game and the creepiness of the idea of being attacked by monsters in the dark. There'd always be an option to use "Cat" if it was too dark. I don't find "Cat" has much use at an point in this game because even caves are bright.

The bright nights bug me because they take the mood right out of the game and the creepiness of the idea of being attacked by monsters in the dark.

It does not help either that there is less difference between day and night in general than in The Witcher 1. The first game has monsters and enemies only appearing at night, NPCs with a full daily routine, guards may comment on the player being out on the streets at night, etc. Not to mention one cannot meditate anywhere at any time, it requires either a fireplace, or one of a few friendly NPCs, and with the latter, the time of day matters again.

A game that did a great job with the night setting was Dragon's Dogma. It got really dark and very dangerous as well. It made you think about your journeys lest night caught you wandering the roads.

Last edited:
KNG's darker night mod is not compatible with essenthy's STLM, which I would definitely be using all the time. I wonder if there is a darker night mod that is compatible with STLM?

Top Bottom