why did they cap gwent betting at 10 measly crowns

+
why did they cap gwent betting at 10 measly crowns

I love Gwent so much. I'm a touch disappointed that they didn't give us any high stakes games though to farm cash. capping the betting at 10 coins was a mistake, and a bit useless to be honest. At least in witcher 2 you could arm wrestle ppl for like 100 crowns. Kinda hope we get an extensive gwent centered dlc that brings new opponents, higher stakes games, etc.

There are two mods which deals with both these problems - One makes gwent harder (and a shitload more interesting/dynamic), the other allows you to make larger bets. Honestly, I regret installing a mod which allowed me to farm more cash (through giving vendors twice the money they normally have), I just became overloaded with a totally lore-breaking wad of crowns.

Since 1.07 broke my game, I did a fresh install and will start anew when I can be bothered - no cash modding this time round.

Play gwent for the fun of it - the mod that makes it harder really adds a lot, check it out!

The game is not balanced enough for high stakes, really easy tbh.

Could anything on planet earth be easier than arm wrestling was?? And they let us farm crowns with 100 dollar matches. With all the things to buy in this game, who cares if we have access to lots of crowns? It's not like we would be glitching them either, gwent isn't THAT easy. I think it would have been a legitimate way to earn crowns, which are very tight early on in this game

Once you have all Nilfgaardian heroes, the neutral cards of Geralt and Ciri and the Monster deck it gets boring.
Yeah you loose one round or two if you have a bad hand and play against good players, but most of the time you just win.

CDPR should use Gwent to more then only get 10 Crowns. Like betting on informations, passing the guards, choose a prize from the merchant, etc.
Of course would it be natural to have consequences for player, other then loose 10 Crowns.
So if you play a old Druid, and loose, you need to carry a letter to a place (with a deadline?) or you get cursed (loose healt/stamina/skill-points/ etc).
Or some Side-quest get mandatory and you must finish within a deadline.
If you win, you can choose to accept the quest, and hackle a reward for it. :)

CDPR should use Gwent to more then only get 10 Crowns. Like betting on informations, passing the guards, choose a prize from the merchant, etc.
Of course would it be natural to have consequences for player, other then loose 10 Crowns.
So if you play a old Druid, and loose, you need to carry a letter to a place (with a deadline?) or you get cursed (loose healt/stamina/skill-points/ etc).
Or some Side-quest get mandatory and you must finish within a deadline.
If you win, you can choose to accept the quest, and hackle a reward for it. :)

Lose, not loose.

Any dice players still out there? W1 dwarven dice was so fun, especially when you got to play a king at towards the end of the game for mega dough! (kings being rich, only made sense) W2 dice were so beautiful looking but the board was always the same, kinda a let down. Thought W3 would combine the best of them but instead they gave me gwent. Miss dice poker.. Way more fun for me than gwent. Maybe its because I played Magic the Gathering for over a decade, just not my thing in W3. However, why I commented here was to say, I'd definitely find gwent more appealing to play if the stakes were higher. For me its not worth my time to play for a few crowns for 5-10 minutes of gameplay. I like to make money gambling (X..X )

Well, I think, first of all, 10 crowns is enough to feed a peasant or someone for 2-5 days in the game. They also give you an additional card, sometimes, some of their items that they sell. So, speaking from the game itself, it's quite fair to have it like that. You can always kill drowners and sell their brains and tongues for loots. Kill bandits by Novigrad and sell their swords, but drowners would be mean more crowns, since bandits would only have rusted swords and some food, with a bit of luck, you'll fill up your coin purse. Though, why bother with money? When you're in Novigrad, you'll fairly have a bunch of it already. Besides, I'm playing on Death March, I can really say I already have 2.5k crowns, and I'm still doing "Novigrad: Day Dreaming" quest.

I have about 40,000 crowns just by playing the game normally (Selling swords and Armour from bandits and chests) the betting system for me is fine but I would love to see more of a challenged during Gwent games, better AI,

Hell, I think they should come up with a Gwent online multi player option where you play against real people.

Gwent is simply awesome and i would like to see new cards in the expansions ( and perhaps a new tournament in Toussaint? ).But i think poker dice is like a "must" since it existed in both previous games and because it's a nice minigame too.

I'm really hoping they put out an update with new gwent cards and tournaments! The high stakes tournament was a good challenge but I did not really had any other big problems with defeating other Gwent players in the entire game. Also a multiplayer mode for Gwent would be really, really nice, maybe as an App. Hearthstone also went pretty well i heard :D

My feeling is they capped it so you can't predict how good a player is. You think "ah, they're only betting five coins, they must suck..." Then suddenly you're being destroyed by a pack of monster cards and a 126 point per round smack in the mouth to your measly 12 points with your realms deck

My main complaint is that the amount you can bet never changes based on your opponent's background and wealth.
I expect wealthy characters to bet more than those who are not wealthy, but it is 10 crowns every single time no matter who your opponent is.

Any dice players still out there? W1 dwarven dice was so fun, especially when you got to play a king at towards the end of the game for mega dough! (kings being rich, only made sense) W2 dice were so beautiful looking but the board was always the same, kinda a let down. Thought W3 would combine the best of them but instead they gave me gwent. Miss dice poker.. Way more fun for me than gwent. Maybe its because I played Magic the Gathering for over a decade, just not my thing in W3. However, why I commented here was to say, I'd definitely find gwent more appealing to play if the stakes were higher. For me its not worth my time to play for a few crowns for 5-10 minutes of gameplay. I like to make money gambling (X..X )

I personally couldn't stand dice poker. It was just so tedious to me. I would have liked to have had it in the game since it was in the previous two, but other than that, I never liked it much. Playing against Foltest was really cool in TW1. That was a great payoff.

I was still expecting there to be drinking games and we didn't see that either. Something similar to watch dogs where you take a shot, then do some sort of mini game. If you complete all of the challenges, you win.

Last edited:
I think CDPR should set a difficulty level system with crowns like 0 to 10 Medium, 11 to 20 Hard & 20 to 30 Hardest etc.

Or may be fix crown system like..

5 Crown - Easy
10 Crowns - Medium
20 Crowns - Hard
30 Crowns - Hardest

Could anything on planet earth be easier than arm wrestling was?? And they let us farm crowns with 100 dollar matches. With all the things to buy in this game, who cares if we have access to lots of crowns? It's not like we would be glitching them either, gwent isn't THAT easy. I think it would have been a legitimate way to earn crowns, which are very tight early on in this game

Because it is an exploit. Save before Gwent, bet all you have, and farm a lot of money. If you lose, you can just reload your save and try again. So no, it would be unbalanced.

Top Bottom