+

Triss vs Yennefer [NOW WITH SPOILERS. Oh, well.]

• I like triss better

Votes: 269 49.5%
  • i like yen better

Votes: 200 36.8%
  • I like tris better, and from a RP point, I would have to go for yen

Votes: 49 9.0%
  • from a RP point, I'd go with triss aswell.

Votes: 25 4.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think the dialogue option after the meeting with Emhyr changes depending on what you did at the end of the last wish quest.
Regarding the Kaer Morhen lake incident.My problem wasn't the conversation before she teleported us into the lake, but the non-existent conversation after. We can't confront her about the teleport, but just have to accept it. As if Geralt deserved to be teleported into a lake, just because Yennefer was in a bad mood and Geralt provoked her a bit.

I agree with that but that's my problem. Games Geralt and books Geralt are not the same persons. . Geralt is our character to some extent, since CDp used the Amnesia to allow us that . And I think it worked pretty well, except for the interactions with Yen. He is 100% books Geralt in this moments and not my Geralt anymore. I would have liked to get the option to stay games Geralt during this moments. And Witcher 1, 2 or 3 Geralt is not submissive towards anybody. (well except Yen). We even get the possibility to contradict emhyr- the most powerful man in the witcher world.
Take the first meeting with Yen in Vizima. Geralt asks her a simple and legit question "what does the hunt want from Ciri" Yennefer responds annoyed with " I have no clue Geralt . Might've written them to ask, but I don't have their address". Geralt's response? Nothing, he looks like he wants to say something but just shuts up.
This is just an example but represents the many interactions between Geralt and Yen during the game.
So many times we can her something and she either straight tells us she doesn't need to answer that or does it in a sarcastic way and we just have to accept hat. Again, what happened to Geralt's famous sarcasm when he is with Yen?
Remember that dwarf in White orchard who was sarcastic after Geralt asked him what happened? We get the chance to respond to his sarcasm but are denied to do so whenever Yennefer says something.Sure, Yennefer is not some random Dwarf but especially after the last wish quest CDP should have given us the options to not do and accept everything Yennefer wants and says.

Back to the Vizima meeting. Then we can ask her why she didn't contact us earlier and she responds that she didn't want to "spoil our fun with Triss". She dismisses Geralt's explanation that he lost his memory and we just have to accept that. Why didn't we get the opportunity to ask her about Serrit? You know that guy she tried to seduce, while she lost her memory. But no, Geralt just stands there like an idiot and says nothing and basically accepts that he has done wrong, while Yen is right.

How many times in the game we actually get the chance to oppose her behavior? I think the conversation option after the meeting with Emhyr before Kaer Morhen is the only one and again Geralt behaves submissive.
Geralt: "Ah i see, So you show your claws to me because I'm a lowly Witcher, but.."
Yen interrupts.....; "Do you really to do this now, Geralt? We can fight another time, in another place . Where the walls have no ears."
That's it. Finally Geralt found his balls to ask Yen why she treats him that way and she just wipes off his question by saying that this is not the time and Geralt just accepts it. I don't need to say that that conversation never happens.

I made a thread awhile back about this specific issue, the title was "Geralt becoming a shadow of himself." It was closed due to the shitstorm that followed it. Granted I was only focusing on the negatives at this point and in hindsight I realize not everything is black. There are good moments and they are very nice too. Yet I did read it with a "calm" mind just now before I decided if I was going to link it or not and I realize it is still mostly valid. Feel free to make your own opinions on the subject, maybe you'll agree or maybe not. In any case, here it is:

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...ss-and-how-Geralt-becomes-a-shadow-of-himself

Indeed this is the major problem I have with Yen : My Geralt starts to act submissivly when he is with Yen. It feels like he is not my character anymore. And this circumstance bothers me.
Of course he act like he would act in the books and therefore it is fine and I don't want a removal of replies !
I just would like to see an additional reply wich is not submissiv. It shouldn't be rude either - just an eye to eye reply of a man who finally got a certain degree of self assurance.

Edit: Just a few typos, sorry, I'm not used to write in english ;)

Last edited:
ndeed this is the major problem I have with Yen : My Geralt starts to act submissivly when he is with Yen. It feels like he is not my character anymore. And this circumstance bothers me.
Of course he act like he would act in the books and therefore it is fine and I don't want a removal of replies !
I just would like to see an additional reply wich is not submissiv. It shouldn't be rude either - just an eye to eye reply of a man who finally got a certain degree of self assurance.

The two are complementary, have situations that Yennefer to be wiser heads, more in others the impetus and intuition of Geralt prevails.

The two are complementary, have situations that Yennefer to be wiser heads, more in others the impetus and intuition of Geralt prevails.

While I would agree that Yennefer has many positive qualities, calling her "wise" is just...

And, iirc, there are literally NO instances in which Geralt and Yennefer do something together and the particulars or planning of said endeavor are left for Geralt (in some cases by extension the player) to decide.

When all teh choces of the main character only heve one ending, the defeat of the Wild Hunt. When Vesemir dies yes or yes, when Eredin dies, yes or yes, when Radovid is presented like a mad for the sake of a quest, when Geralt has no impact in the Main plot, but only in sidequests and minors details, I really don't care about how romances works. A mature, grey, with hard moral choices is missed. IMO open world effort has shadowed the storyline.

When sidequests like the baron are more grey, complex and surprising than the main plot... who cares who is the best lover?

To be fair, I saw all of the Red Baron coming.

I did not expect the Wild Hunt to be that ... terrible...

So no. The main plot was more unpredictable to me :)

I also disagree with the Open World part... but for real this time :p

When all teh choces of the main character only heve one ending, the defeat of the Wild Hunt. When Vesemir dies yes or yes, when Eredin dies, yes or yes, when Radovid is presented like a mad for the sake of a quest, when Geralt has no impact in the Main plot, but only in sidequests and minors details, I really don't care about how romances works. A mature, grey, with hard moral choices is missed. IMO open world effort has shadowed the storyline.

When sidequests like the baron are more grey, complex and surprising than the main plot... who cares who is the best lover?

I ageree with you absolutly, the fact you mention is a major flaw of the whole game compared to the previous games!
But this is a Triss or Yen thread - so this romance should/can be discussed here, don't you think so ? :)

I ageree with you absolutly, the fact you mention is a major flaw of the whole game compared to the previous games!
But this is a Tris or Yen thread - so this romance should/can be discussed here, don't you think so ? :)

Oh yes, and I'm saying why maybe this discussion could not be so important. I guess people who don't chose one or othe could also say why they think so, no?

While I would agree that Yennefer has many positive qualities, calling her "wise" is just...

And, iirc, there are literally NO instances in which Geralt and Yennefer do something together and the particulars or planning of said endeavor are left for Geralt (in some cases by extension the player) to decide.

But you have to understand that Geralt is like that, lost, like in the book that if it were not Regis he was going south today. He has to be guided often because of the impetus

But you have to understand that Geralt is like that, lost, like in the book that if it were not Regis he was going south today. He has to be guided often because of the impetus

You know what, I agree with that, book Geralt is a bit lost... fortunately that is one of the traits CDPR chose to remove him on the game version...

@xxgwxx

It's for your own good, trust me. You have no power here.

You know what, I agree with that, book Geralt is a bit lost... fortunately that is one of the traits CDPR chose to remove him on the game version...

Not completely removed, what would he do in Skellige without someone oriented? He was until now investigating. He could more would take much longer.

Not completely removed, what would he do in Skellige without someone oriented? He was until now investigating. He could more would take much longer.

One could argue that Yennefer took her sweet time doing something while Geralt made his way there and an earlier and honest conversation with Ermion would have yielded the location of the latest Wild Hunt attack, early enough that the man who helped Ciri could still be alive and would have revealed the existence of Uma upon being contacted.

One could argue that Yennefer took her sweet time doing something while Geralt made his way there and an earlier and honest conversation with Ermion would have yielded the location of the latest Wild Hunt attack, early enough that the man who helped Ciri could still be alive and would have revealed the existence of Uma upon being contacted.

The timeline in-game can be strange, you can choose to go to Skellige first, so it no problem

The part i find interesting is honest conversation with Ermion, actually the mask is no need because it only reveal two thing :"Ciri have a companion and fled though the portal". All of it can learn later in Hindarsfjall

This is a pitfall of open world game design.

It falls under "Suspension of Disbelief". Just like the money problem where Geralt at the end of the game can buy half the known world.

As for that problem of Geralt... well his game version is simplified. But that goes for almost all characters in the game.

Maybe im here alone with my statement, but i like both Triss and Yennefer in the game. Geralt has really hard decision of picking one of them, because both are strong, beautiful women who are willing to risk their lives for sake of Ciri. Really like how CDPR made the break ups scenes for both ladies. They are hearthbrakening and hard to see, but thats how it should be. As Geralt, player should fell pain and suffer in those kind of moments. Both brakeups are equaly strong in terms of emotions, and i really like that.

Player fells guilty every time when he allows Triss to leave to Kovir without saying those magic words "I love you". Geralt knows that she wants to hear it, it is the only thing that will allow Triss to stay with him. At the same time he knows that he cant say those words, because of other women who was with him for so many years. Triss doesnt smell with lilac and gooseberry, doesnt have long jet-black hair like a storm. Saying "no" to Yennefer is even more hearthbrakening, that scene is so well done, player fells really bad by saying "i dont fell the same anymore". That bond you had created for so many years is now gone, vanished and you cant do anything about that, because Geralt realized that he loves someone else, a really close friend of Yennefer.

Thats why i had never say "i love you" to both of them. I have to much respect for Triss and Yennefer to make such a dirty move. One thing is important and you cant do anything about it : one of them is going to be hearthbrake, dissapointed. Thats how live is, by making those hard decisions by yourself. I really liked that in CD Project Red, they werent afraid of showing those emotions. Good job with that. Thats why i will always say both women are incredible. Which one is better for Geralt ? That depends on player individual choice, on interpretations and moral decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom