Random crashes

+
I'm crashing all the time too. Most of the time (now with Nvidia drivers 353.49)) the game simply closes with no error message at all. With a previous version of the Nvidia drivers (353.3) it was crashing and I would get a "Witcher 3 has stopped working" error message. On occasion the video stops working but I still have audio. The game is basically unplayable.

Here's my system:

i7-4790K (stock)
Two EVGA 980Ti SC in SLI
ASUS Maximus 7 Hero mobo
16 GB DDR3@1600MHz Corsair Vengeance
Witcher 3/Steam and OS on a Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
2560x1440 144Hz G-Sync Acer XB270HU
Win 7 64 bit Home Premium

Here's what I've tried:

Several benchmark/stress tests on my cards (they're fine and stable)
Several different Nvidia drivers
Windows memory and corruption tests (nothing wrong)
Changing various 3D settings in Nvidia control panel
Checking game file integrity
Disabling Steam cloud while playing
Disabling anything and everything running in the background other than necessary stuff

Nothing has worked. My rig doesn't crash when doing other activities.

Try disabling SLI?

I'm crashing all the time too. Most of the time (now with Nvidia drivers 353.49)) the game simply closes with no error message at all. With a previous version of the Nvidia drivers (353.3) it was crashing and I would get a "Witcher 3 has stopped working" error message. On occasion the video stops working but I still have audio. The game is basically unplayable.

Here's my system:

i7-4790K (stock)
Two EVGA 980Ti SC in SLI
ASUS Maximus 7 Hero mobo
16 GB DDR3@1600MHz Corsair Vengeance
Witcher 3/Steam and OS on a Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
2560x1440 144Hz G-Sync Acer XB270HU
Win 7 64 bit Home Premium

Here's what I've tried:

Several benchmark/stress tests on my cards (they're fine and stable)
Several different Nvidia drivers
Windows memory and corruption tests (nothing wrong)
Changing various 3D settings in Nvidia control panel
Checking game file integrity
Disabling Steam cloud while playing
Disabling anything and everything running in the background other than necessary stuff

Nothing has worked. My rig doesn't crash when doing other activities.

Are you using any kind of on screen display like MSI Afterburner, Fraps or Riva Tuner? I was crashing every now and then but once I stopped using Afterburner I haven't had a single crash. The game has been very stable recently accept for some game bugs.

I'm not using anything that displays info (fps, temps, sli, etc.) on my screen.

Borderless Window is actually more stable than Full Screen.

I've noticed that the game has some strange behavior in terms of how it interacts with my desktop. When using some Nvidia drivers (353.30?), the game auto minimizes when I launch it.

In Borderless Window mode, my taskbar occasionally becomes visible at the bottom of my screen, even though it is still hidden and nothing has popped up (the way it would look if I was looking at my desktop while the taskbar is minimized). It just becomes visible for seemingly no reason at all.

I haven't tried disabling sli yet.

Came here (first post actually, woohoo!) with the exact same issues. Either:

A.) The screen freezes, sound continues, I can control the game but the screen remains frozen until I alt-tab, then crash.
B.) Same as above, but the screen goes black.

The first time it happened, I was on 353.30 drivers (GTX 980, single card) and got a "driver has stopped working..." error. Since then, I've tried rolling back to both 352.86 and 350.12 with no change. If this were an infrequent issue, I could handle it, but I literally can't get more than five minutes of gameplay in before it dies.

For the record, I do not have GForce Experience installed, nor do I have any other programs running like Afterburner, FRAPS, or the like.

I eliminated 99% of the crashes by switching off hairworks and changing the settings to a lower standard (even when I know the hardware can do better but okay, whatever). There is a YouTube video, titled 'Witcher 3 best settings for GTX 770' which helpsa lot, although it does not completely solve the problem. I really hope for NVIDIA to givea proper driver software soon.

Last edited:
Even on top PC configuration? WTF? I disable all settings and try play on low setting, same shit...

---------- Updated at 07:13 AM ----------

Fuck. I delete it.

One week ago I changed my Gigabyte GTX 770 OC with 2 GB to a Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Edition. With the 980 the game never crashed until now. Of course, this is not the solution of this problem. With the 770 I played with high setting, deactivated NV Hairworks and reduced core and memory clock. But I think it's a problem of Nvidia.

Tried disabling SLI.
Tried installing on one of my other SSDs (that has nothing else on it at all).
Tried running as administrator.
Tried running the executable without Steam.
Tried disabling hardware cursor.

Still crashing. Inventory/vendor menus seem to trigger it more than anything else, but the problem is by no means exclusive menu screens.

Last edited:
well i've tried new method

try activate your windows update and update your windows to the latest. including kb patch. it worked for me. crash only ONCE.

I hate you! Burn in hell! I can't finished last missions cause it's crashes always and i must play it from begin. 5 crashes in 15 minutes! Fucking noobs!

---------- Updated at 02:58 PM ----------

Сделайте уже что-нибудь с этими вылетами, я заебался. Почему никто не отвечает?

I hate you! Burn in hell! I can't finished last missions cause it's crashes always and i must play it from begin. 5 crashes in 15 minutes! Fucking noobs!

---------- Updated at 02:58 PM ----------

Сделайте уже что-нибудь с этими вылетами, я заебался. Почему никто не отвечает?

For me looks like 353.62 drivers and/or W10 and/or disabling Nvidia Streaming service solved the issue, no more crashes. You can try is without updating windows

I disable all! I have clear windows, i have low settings! I try 4 different drivers! Nothing help! Nothing! I wanna kill...

Top Bottom