Lvl 27 Geralt vs Lvl 48 Archgriffin.... (very disappointing)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Same for the loot... chest loot is lvl scaled... thus you just get some random garbage... like from any other chest in the game. Well if they gave you a reward that matches the quest level, you'd get something that you could not possibly use, so it's useless either way.

Yes, and this is a great problem. They should get rid of the level scaling, level requirement and the random algorithm for the loot, and place the item by hand.
This entire itemization concept was a terrible idea from the start.

Less junk loot.
which means you can't sell a lot of stuff as exploit for money.
More crafting requirments: A sword is made even with wood, not only with steel.
Less items, but more different and better hidden, and mostly guarded by a monster with the same level of the item. For example, a level 42 mob for a level 42 item. Which you can use as soon as you get it, because it's a reward.

Last edited:
I pity the OP.

If you want to kill monsters for XP go play Bloodborne. This game -thank God- has other priorities and delivers XP when those priorities are met. Mainly, main story quests.

Pitty post above me. Needs hand held and a doted line on map on where to go to play.

Reward system is garbage at best. No spoiler but do not go to all those question marks on Skellige. Find the Places of Power and Witcher Gear locations via Google. The rest is pure trash gear you'll only sell. Typical game filler.

@SofaJockey:
My reply was not about flinging insults your way. However, if you are going to rate the product you have to rate the entire product. You can't say great story and stunning imagery = 10/10 and turn a blind eye to the remainder of the game. If I wanted great game design but with shit graphics I would reload Diablo 2-LoD. However, this is 2015. I expect the story and the graphics to be great, as well as the quests, EXP curve, characters, combat system, sound effects, music, control system, rewards and achievement system.

If CDPR could not deliver the total package at release I would be inclined to be more understanding if they had a mountain of hustle, churned out a torrent of legit patches/bug fixes, had high quality dev to consumer communication and a commitment to making the game 100%. The entirety of the issues don't hit the player right away they build up. For example, more than once I've entered a fight and roll away to avoid an attack and Geralt sheaths his sword. I didn't press C or 1 or 2. During the Archgriffin fight this happened.

Another example of the glitchy combat system is when I visited the water front village south/west of Mulbrydale. There is a person in distress marker and I encountered a regimen of Nilfgaard deserters. One the deserters is a level 16 Nilfgaard sword wielding type mob. West of that water front village is an abandoned site and hidden treasure. At level 9 or 10 I was not ready to take on the Nilfgaard deserters, but I did clear the abandoned site by level 12. So at level 12 I revisited the Nilfgaard deserters. I was getting struck my arrows from archers I could not see. So I decided to ride through the town on horse back to get a better view of the enemy. I rode through the Nilfgaard deserters and spotted 2-3 archers. I rode to about the midway point between the Nilfgaard deserters and the cleared abandoned site. However, I was still taking arrows. I ran on foot all the way to the cleared abandoned site and stood next to the Nilfgaard guardsmen and I was still taking arrows. I swam across the river toward Lurch and I was still being hit by arrows. I decided to reloaded the game and try again. I encountered the glitched archers another 3-4 times during a few reloads. I gave up after about 10-20 mins of trying to whittle the deserters down. I came back at level 15 or 16 and just stomped the deserters and freed the PID. I would have succeeded at level 12 if the archers didn't glitch.

There are lots more glitches with the combat system such as popping a fresh Quen, taking an Archgriffin charge (depletes Quen but deals no damage to the HP pool), re-popping Quen and 4 seconds later dying to a wing swipe with full Quen active.

To post above, lol. The auto AI aim for arrows is SO bad. You can dive under water and they still hit you dead on. It's just so terrible, lol.

@ZBlacktt :
I learned this the hard way. However, I figured there is a random chance at superior blade oil recipe drops so, I might as well clear it and build up a mountain of $$. Besides the last half of the trek to level 27 was me killing Ekihindas and Sirens while sailing between the question marks at sea.

@Lyvean :
Your reply doesn't help or contribute to the topic. You might as well had suggested a Lemon Tart recipe to sooth a tooth ache.

Yeah, like that piece of shit of Skyrim, in which you don't have to worry about nothing because all mobs are automatically scaled to your level. A system where the level up, crafting, alchemy etc...make no fucking sense.
But of course, in a RPG exploration comes first.
I get it, you dont like that. I just feel like to be challenged in game all the time. To be honest I dont like character development at all, to me it is all about the player's skill and his understanding of combat systems. You can accept ppl have different taste, right?

I just killed a level 20 Bilge Hag who was guarding a treasure, I am currently level 7 and thought by killing it I will surely get something really sweet from the treasure chest but after a good 10 minutes of battling I opened it up and got a level 4 'Glory of the North' (Sounded amazing!) I looked at its stats and it gave 5% burning and had 3 slots. What an absolute disappointment the loot is in this game. I also barely got any EXP.

That pretty much sums it up.

Last edited:
agree with OP and post above me...the reward system, the xp system, crafting system, all terrible and unrewarding...this isnt even a online game so limiting how often people level up and making the high level loot pretty much unattainable (ya good luck getting that level 42 swords/armor) is just bad game design...its pretty much better just to try and run around the high level mobs and sneak the treasure chests (if you can),then never fighting the high level monsters, then actually fight them for measly XP gains...what a poor game design. Whomever said the bugs are "trivial" or barely noticeable or whatever LOL@that. Im a completionist gamer that cant complete this game because of broken achievements, quests you didnt even know could deactivate by activating others (slave quest in skellige by activating following the thread), bandit leaders not dropping keys to merchants locked cages that give out qwent cards for collections...the list is piling up fast. This beautiful "eye candy" is starting to just leave one big bad taste in this 32 year old gamer's mouth...a decent (LINEAR, NON FREEROAM/FREE CHOICE) RPG but starting to not be worth the hassle of this many headaches to sort out on a weekly basis.

Last edited:
A few things that would help.

1. There should be an XP multiplier for killing enemies who are higher leveled than you. The multiplier should grow exponentially as the difference between the enemy and Geralt's level grows. Killing an enemy 20 levels higher than you should give a big XP reward. Let's be honest, people aren't going to be farming on an enemy that it took them 10 minutes to kill.

2. The amount of times that I got loot that out leveled me was extremely small. When I got such loot, it was usually outclassed by the time I got to that level. There needs to be a better balance for this kind of stuff. Also, it wouldn't hurt to allow me to use loot that out levels me, but maybe at some sort of penalty that decreases as I level up. It would allow the player to grow attached to certain swords that they get on quests and such as well.

3. I'm also not a huge fan of making the most powerful armors and swords be crafting based. I think quest based stuff should be the most powerful. The Witcher sets should be the most powerful when put together as a whole, combined with runes, bonuses, and such. However, individual pieces of armor and swords should still be more powerful when taken alone. The video above is a prime example of why that should be.

Last edited:
I just killed a level 20 Bilge Hag who was guarding a treasure, I am currently level 7 and thought by killing it I will surely get something really sweet from the treasure chest but after a good 10 minutes of battling I opened it up and got a level 4 'Glory of the North' (Sounded amazing!) I looked at its stats and it gave 5% burning and had 3 slots. What an absolute disappointment the loot is in this game. I also barely got any EXP.

That pretty much sums it up.

Exactly

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...vel-24-quest?p=1822291&viewfull=1#post1822291

@whiplash27 :
Once you've killed the level 48 archgriffin the only way to respawn him is to install a console mod and use the mod to spawn the monster. Otherwise its a one time event.

.... and I wanted to choke Hattori for that shit sword he gave me. Better still take one his elf ears as payment.

@whiplash27 :
Once you've killed the level 48 archgriffin the only way to respawn him is to install a console mod and use the mod to spawn the monster. Otherwise its a one time event.

.... and I wanted to choke Hattori for that shit sword he gave me. Better still take one his elf ears as payment.

sad thing is that mission is recommended at what a level 20 something...couldnt even give a level 20 something reward...perfect example of crap loot reward system.

BTW... Has anybody reach level 48 and enjoy enough the gear?
Nope.
Couple the EXP system and the ridiculous and forced gear level requirements, and you can't enjoy the gear you like until towards the end of the game.
Plus I don't like Witcher 3 gears especially the armors. Most armors look like simple armors common folk would wear, and unlike WItcher 2 there are not enough elite and legendary armors in the game.
Witcher 2 armors were much better, and Witcher 3 sorely needs some armors like these:

Before the battle started I had 359 / 2000 EXP and after about 8 deaths and epic battles I finally killed the level 48.

This game has wonderful eye candy and an awesome story.

See, when I take out all your crying about less than epic exp and loot then you seem like you love this game. If loot and exp are your top priority maybe you should try a game like Diablo III.

See, when I take out all your crying about less than epic exp and loot then you seem like you love this game. If loot and exp are your top priority maybe you should try a game like Diablo III.

Judging by his level he has played over 100 hours so of course he loves the game. This is what CDPR gets for trying to be cool with gamers. I expect they will start treating us the same way EA and Ubi do soon and I don't blame them one bit.

This game has items, xp and story. The story is a reward well paced, while items and xp are not. Since they are in this game I expect them to be as well paced as the story. If I now notice that they aren't and utter my concerns, then this is unrelated to where I see a focus or should from your perspective.

In fact, this feedback shows that on some parts the players want to play by the game's while it is not clear where this focus is. Such is no crying:

Lets see point what Witcher 3 does great and what it lacks.

Great: Story, atmosphere, grapichs, art design.

Lacks: Difficult balance (death march of course) - Start hard enough, gets really easy past lvl 10 , and its not because your skill improved as a player, no sir, its because your whole stats lvl up so much, plus the skills trees also allow all sorts of imba stacks. That plus gear = easy.

Loot balance: Money floats, loot is unrewarding.

Xp wise: For an RPG, its very main quest focused, i mean even on the hardest setting all you need to focus on to get the lvl is the main history. Most old school rpgs on the hardest setting make you do a lot of side quests to be even able to tackle the main one, wich is not the case here.

CDP needs to hire the balance team from Blizzard, and should lend them their history writers.

Could you keep this on topic please? If it's to turn into an unfocussed "complaints about the game" discussion, then it will face a lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom