Yennefer of Vengerberg (all spoilers)

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lol, not really :D I think Fringilla started to feel something for Geralt, and then he left her just like that ....;p I mean of course he had to save Yen so I'm not against it.
Speaking of Yen here - whispering her name during his sexy times with Fringie was a rather asshole move on his part ;)

Lol, not really I think Fringilla started to feel something for Geralt, and then he left her just like that ....;p I mean of course he had to save Yen so I'm not against it.
Speaking of Yen here - whispering her name during his sexy times with Fringie was a rather asshole move on his part

I'll never get how can some people vouch for her. She is just so bad character...

She played with Geralts feelings, only delaying him from finding Yen and Ciri. I'm actually happy he lied to her about the location of Vilgefortz and that he left her. She was only lying and playing with him, its her fault she fell in love with him...

And let's not forget - she blinded Yen :pride2: (never forget,never forgive)

But in all seriousness - she kind of redeemed herself in the end. If it hadn't been for her medalion, Geralt and Yen would have most likely died killed by Vilgefortz.

You forget to mention that Fringilla tricked him from the very beginning. She's a phony snake, Philippa's tool, who doesn't deserve any better.

Agree completely, she deserved all what Geralt did to her... Except sleeping with her... :p

And let's not forget - she blinded Yen (never forget,never forgive)

But in all seriousness - she kind of redeemed herself in the end. If it hadn't been for her medalion, Geralt and Yen would have most likely died killed by Vilgefortz.

Yea, giving him the medallion was the only good thing she's done...

Yea, giving him the medallion was the only good thing she's done...
Not completely. She already helped Yen to escape from the lodge. Remember the oysters... ;)

Crime: blinded Yen -> Redeemed by helping her escape from the lodge
Crime: seducing Geralt while Yen is rotting in Vilgefortz' prison -> Redeemed by giving Geralt her medaillon that saved his (and Yen's) life...

Even karma. :beer:

BTW could you please quote the part from the books when Geralt slept with Essi? I somehow missed it and always thought he didn't sleep with her...

I don't have a copy of SoD anywhere but I think it's heavily implied in Geralt's monologue about her...maybe anyone else here will help :)

Not completely. She already helped Yen to escape from the lodge...

Crime: blinded Yen -> Redeemed by helping her escape from the lodge
Crime: seducing Geralt while Yen is rotting in Vilgefortz' prison -> Redeemed by giving Geralt her medaillon that saved his (and Yen's life)...

Even karma.

Yea. karma is even, still bit of a b!tch at the end. ;) Didn't like her too much... Hope they are not giving her too much attention in the Toussaint expansion, would rather see more Triss to be honest. :D

---------- Updated at 10:14 PM ----------

I don't have a copy of SoD anywhere but I think it's heavily implied in Geralt's monologue about her...maybe anyone else here will help :)

I've read through it twice to find it, thats the strange thing. :p

Guest 3842753

Did Fringilla decide to help Yen escape out of sympathy, or was it part of a Lodge plot to track Yen down later after she had done all the hard work of finding Ciri?

They did sleep with each other at the very end of the story. It's not only implied, it's written in plain words.

“Geralt... We must resolve this problem, mustn't we?”
She waited for his response: a word, just one, the slightest hint of a reaction. But the
witcher knew that he had nothing that he could dedicate to her and did not want to lie to her.
In fact, he didn't dare tell the truth for fear of hurting her.
Dandelion, ever-reliable Dandelion with his habitual tact, at last salvaged the situation
by appearing suddenly.
“Yes, that's right!” he yelled, plunging a stick into the water to scatter the rushes and
enormous river-nettles. “You really have to make a decision, it's about time! I don't want to
watch the act you're putting on any longer! What are you waiting for from him, Doll?
Something impossible? And you, Geralt, what do you expect? That Little-Eye read your
thoughts like... yes, like the other one? And that she content herself with the situation you're
comfortable with, where, without divulging your emotions, you are required to give neither
explanation nor refusal? How long will it take you to hear? When do you plan to understand?
In how many years? In the form of distant memories? Tomorrow, we part ways, by the devil!
Oh, I've had enough of you two. Listen: I'll cut myself a hazel branch to fish with, and you,
meanwhile, will have time for everything you have to say. Say it all! Try to come to a mutual
understanding. It's not as difficult as you think. Then, by all the gods, do it. Do it with him,
Doll. Do it with her, Geralt, and be good for her. And then, by the plague, either move on
or...”
Dandelion turned violently on his heel, breaking a bulrush and swearing. He planned
to fish until nightfall with a horse hair mounted to a hazel branch.
When he disappeared, Geralt and Essi remained motionless for a long moment,
leaning against the trunk of a willow tree overlooking the stream. They were silent, hand in
hand. Then the witcher began to talk at length and in a low voice; Little-Eye listened with
tears in her eyes.
Then they did it.
And all was in order

Page 153 -> https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1rde0VNEyFKNmpYdjNEcjFQQjQ/edit

---------- Updated at 12:26 AM ----------

Did Fringilla decide to help Yen escape out of sympathy, or was it part of a Lodge plot to track Yen down later after she had done all the hard work of finding Ciri?

She helped her to escape because she felt guilty about what she did to her in the past (blinding her). It was definitely not planned by the lodge.

Last edited:
Then they did it.
LOL I got it like they did explain it to each other. I mean, he didn't want to do it but then suddenly, in a the middle of a discussion?? Like, Sapkowski describes every sex in his books much more detailed than this, even the "And all was in order" felt like they made only a discussion. It feels strange but when many people say it I'll count it like they did it, but it just doesn't look like any other Sapkowski's sex. :p But still thanks for posting this. :)

LOL I got it like they did explain it to each other. I mean, he didn't want to do it but then suddenly, in a the middle of a discussion?? Like, Sapkowski describes every sex in his books much more detailed than this, even the "And all was in order" felt like they made only a discussion. It feels strange but when many people say it I'll count it like they did it, but it just doesn't look like any other Sapkowski's sex. :p But still thanks for posting this. :)

Sapkowski as the external narrator just repeated the wording and style he let Dandelion use before. It's only understandable with what Dandelion tells Geralt just before that:

"Say it all! Try to come to a mutual understanding. It's not as difficult as you think. Then, by all the gods, do it. Do it with him, Doll. Do it with her, Geralt, and be good for her. And then, by the plague, either move on or...”

[...]

Then they did it.

I don't think that it's possible to interpret it in any other way than that they had sex with each other. "Do it with sb" is a synonym for having sex and exclusively for that.

Last edited:
Sapkowski as the external narrator just repeated the wording he let Dandelion use before.

I don't think that it's possible to interpret it in any other way than that they had sex with each other.

I'll propably check the original version, though I really don't consider "Then they did it" as having sex. Maybe just because english isn't my native language. :p

Hello everyone, I'm out of jail! Let's try to get an official statement from CDPR regarding Yen and Ciri.
Please keep in mind that this is just the very first version which needs your kind help. I'm bad at this.
Welcome back!

While I support your enthusiasm, it feels a bit repetitive and it could be counter productive to tug on their sleeve with same ol stuff. But that's just me.

Maybe trying to think of something new? After all, GingerEffect confirmed he's made Marcin aware of this thread, and if so, he should easily find the material Kallelinski prepared.

Simplification.
I hate to say it but they just pretend like nothing ever happened between Yen and Ciri in the books and that Yen is "only" Geralt's love interest.

A second - much wilder - guess that might add to that is that the story is probably written almost exclusively by men - for a predomintently male audience.
Do you really think so low of CDPR or are you just venting?

What about the theory they ran out of time and/or resources/money?

The thing is, if you're correct, we have no hope anything will be changed for good. Whereas, in the time/money theory, we still have hope they'll try to improve the game.

I haven't seen relationships and female characters developed so believable since Baldur's Gate 2.
And while it's true CDPR's taken characters from the books, most of them they've infused with a new characterization (example, Triss, Shani).
I guess, for those women it was easier as Sapkowski only touched briefly, whereas Ciri and Yen were detailed with precision.

I won't go into Ciri's issues, which she's got more than Yen.
But Yen could be fixed to perfection, seeing as they've already done a fantastic job for the most part.

Honesty, if they just fixed her relationship with Ciri, nothing else would have enough strength to make me open my mouth again with criticism.

Last edited:
Yeah, what I thought. It's "Mamilein" in German, the direct translation of "mommy" and "mamusiu". :)

But while we're already at it: how does Yen call Ciri repeatedly in BoE in the Polish original? It's translated differently in the German and English version. In the German version it's "Eulchen" ("owlette") while it's something else in English.

Eulchen works just fine, in english version it's mostly just "ugly one" which doesn't really serve the justice. But then again, it can't be longer either, I suppose "little ugly one" would be a lot better. If you had to shorten it then you would have to try a lot harder, perhaps even come up with "new" words. Owlette is decent, it could be ugly duckling as well (if you'd have to use "ugly", duckling combo is the best), possibly another 3-4 words, I have to do a little research on this, shall you insist.

In the Polish original it's "brzydulka", a diminutive of "brzydula" in a funny/playful, not that mean/mocking way. In Czech version it's "škaredka", which is a diminutive of the word "škaredá". It's a bit worse than the original, but still kind of fine, might be harder to comprehend it without context though and keep in mind that Czech language is as close as it gets to Polish and yet it's getting worse already.

This article explains it at least a tiny bit, english just isn't a very colourful language and can be very difficult to work with.

http://www.beta-iatefl.org/1609/blo...nutiveness-english-overview-based-fairytales/

If you google a bit more about diminutives you will surely find a lot more information.

It's not that easy to translate it. I would go with ugly duckling, considering most of the readers would understand it.

In Russian version it worked just fine. Impossible in Czech though, as it would have to be translated as "ošklivé"
which is unnecessarily mocking, "ošklivka" is worse than "škaredka".

It's not simple even in the closest Slavic languages, we don't have anything similar to "brzydulka" in Czech or Slovak.

---------- Updated at 07:00 AM ----------

The thing is, if you're correct, we have no hope anything will be changed for good. Whereas, in the time/money theory, we still have hope they'll try to improve the game.

I haven't seen relationships and female characters developed so believable since Baldur's Gate 2.
And while it's true CDPR's taken characters from the books, most of them they've infused with a new characterization (example, Triss, Shani).
I guess, for those women it was easier as Sapkowski only touched briefly, whereas Ciri and Yen were detailed with precision.

But Yen could be fixed to perfection, seeing as they've already done a fantastic job for the most part.

Honesty, if they just fixed her relationship with Ciri, nothing else would have enough strength to make me open my mouth again with criticism.

I'm afraid he's very correct. I'm under the same impression thus far.

Last edited:
Welcome back!

While I support your enthusiasm, it feels a bit repetitive and it could be counter productive to tug on their sleeve with same ol stuff. But that's just me.

Maybe trying to think of something new? After all, GingerEffect confirmed he's made Marcin aware of this thread, and if so, he should easily find the material Kallelinski prepared.

Do you really think so low of CDPR or are you just venting?

What about the theory they ran out of time and/or resources/money?

I've been reading some pages on this topic now and I am trying to figure out what the discussion is because it seems all over the place. What is the argument or disagreement about when it comes to money and time and yen and geralt and sex about as well as ciri and yen and problems? Can someone fill me in here exactly what the problem is so that I may join if I can?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom