A compendium of tweaks and fixes for the PC version

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been playing the game on my 670mx and having good results so far with most of the settings on low and some tweaks keeping a more or less steady 30 fps, but I still get some annoying FPS drops in some areas especially during cutscenes, I think particularly where there are candles or other similar light sources. For some reason, in the swamp area for the "ladies of the wood" quest I also get a clear drop in performance.

I'm thinking this might be due to some shadow setting (I have shadow quality on low), does anyone know more?

Also, I'm using Riva Tuner since in my computer the Vertical Sync option on the nvdia control panel does not feature a "adaptive" option. Does anyone know if this is because my particular GPU does not support it or something?

So, uh...anyone?

So, uh...anyone?
hmm i'm not sure what you should do. you see, the latest patch gave varying results to many people, and the gpu driver itself, especially nvidias, can be a pain to deal with with sometimes. so the source of the problem isn't necessary of the GPUs specs and technology features, so i urge to check or re-check the settings for your game and GPU driver.
also i checked just now the specs of your GPU:http://www.eurocom.com/ec/release(150)ec
and it seems that it does have an adaptive V-synch feature.

Last edited:
Is this a bug introduced in 1.07(first picture keira's hair)? because i don't remember her hair doing that on 1.06. Already removed my user.settings but that didn't fix it.

EDIT: NVM not a bug but LOD related it magically improves if she moves her head a bit closer to geralt and goes back to the picture quality when she moves back :(

Last edited:
I have this bug that the game can't save. I can load save games but can't overwrite any of them. Tried to delete the game save folder and start a new game. Running Windows 10. But got the bug after patching to 1.07 in Win 10

I'm currently running The Witcher 3 on a GTX980 with almost all settings maxed and the only thing that detracts from the experience a bit is the lackluster antialiasing that the game offers.
So I decided to inject SMAA with sweetfx as suggested in the tweak guide (although without reshade since it seemed overkill just for SMAA so I tried using boulotaur's injector).
At first everything looked great but then I ran into problems with missing textures on models:
[Possible minor spoilers]
For example during the cutscene when entering novigrad the man who is burned at the stake has no face. I can see his body, his hair but the rest of the head is simply missing. reloading and viewing the cutscene without SMAA solves the problem. There's also a certain kind of monster "Hound of the Wild Hunt" spawned during a boss fight that will simply appear invisible although sometimes a few faulty textures will spasm around in the general area (it seems the bug might only affect creatures made out of multiple model parts as the hounds have a kind of frost layer on them). I did some more tests during the fight. With SMAA all hounds that spawn will be invisible. Turning smaa off won't fix the already spawned monsters but if another hound spawns after the effect is turned off it will look normal even if SMAA is turned on again. However this will cause the next hound that spawns to have missing textures again.
[/end of possible spoilers]
After this I turned to ReShade 1.9 with SweetFX and the bug stopped occurring. However the SMAA effect with Reshade simply looked horrible. It was way too rough it was like it was applied multiple times, Text would appear much fatter with all kinds of artifacting around the edges, (ironically with the normal sweetfx the effect was quite the oppossite, text would appear a little bit thinner although it was not really that distracting) and generally edges would appear grainy rather than smooth.
I pretty much experimented with every setting I could find but none of the options (not even the new ones added in reshade) helped with the annoying effects, the appearance would change a bit sometimes but it would always have that roughness and none of the smoothness of the old SMAA. I really wish there was a way just to force the old faishioned HIGH or ULTRA SMAA presets with reshade, that's pretty much all I need. I don't run any other other modifications. (also posted about this problem of the SweetFX forums but maybe some of the mod-happy players here could have some suggestions too)

Thank you very much for your invaluable feedback and yes, I did recognise you from Kaldaien's Batman: Arkham Knight thread! His tweaks actually helped me reach 100% completion in that game with only very minor stuttering and not a single crash in over 65 hours of gameplay, that's how good they really are. If only we had an expert software engineer such as him to help us tweak all of Witcher 3's hidden parameters. :p

I could be convinced to look into this, potentially :)

The thing is, I never had any major performance issues with The Witcher 3. 3-way SLI didn't work right (at all) out of the box, but I fixed that with a few driver tweaks and from then on I was enjoying 58-60 FPS at 4K in all but a few city scenes. Overall, that game just works.

I have a high-end system and there was something seriously wrong with Arkham Knight, to the point where I had to poke around just to get it running consistently at 30 FPS. Then I uncapped it and had a whole other can of worms that needed to be sorted out.

The Witcher 3's performance issues all scale as you'd expect in relation to GPU and CPU horsepower, so I've never actually looked under the hood. That game has the opposite problem, it's quirky on consoles but relatively consistent on the PC and I think that situation is worse -- tech savvy console gamers (they do exist) cannot tune things themselves :-\

Right now I'm keeping busy with King's Quest in my spare time, but I will be returning to The Witcher 3 soon (still haven't finished it). If there's anything in particular I should look at, I'll be happy to poke around for the heck of it :)

Okay, so I tried to turn on Threaded Optimization in Nvidia Control Panel one more time to test it. And once again, it causes massive stuttering.

Hmmm, this doesn't happen on my end. What CPU are you running the game on and is it overclocked? ???

I could be convinced to look into this, potentially :)

Right now I'm keeping busy with King's Quest in my spare time, but I will be returning to The Witcher 3 soon (still haven't finished it). If there's anything in particular I should look at, I'll be happy to poke around for the heck of it :)

A very warm welcome to our thread! :D

First of all, let me thank you once again from the bottom of my heart for your Batman: Arkham Knight tweaks. Like I said before, your invaluable work turned an utterly broken game into a perfectly playable one. You enabled me to sink 65+ hours into B:A.K. and even reach 100% completion without a single crash, so I am deeply, deeply appreciative of your work, which puts everyone at Rocksteady, Iron Galaxy and Warner Bros. to shame. :cheers2:

Now, most of the problems people are complaining about with The Witcher 3 are tied to the hard-locked LOD settings, governing texture, object and character pop-in. It seems CD Projekt RED have locked them away on the engine side and we can't figure out a way of accessing them so that we might fix the (very) annoying pop-in issues. The fact that CDPR are not open about a patch for these bugs is even more disappointing. If you have the time and think you could help us track down a solution, we would all be extremely grateful!

Either way, kudos once again for all your hard work, master tweaker - you wholeheartedly deserve it!

:cheers:

Last edited:
hmm i'm not sure what you should do. you see, the latest patch gave varying results to many people, and the gpu driver itself, especially nvidias, can be a pain to deal with with sometimes. so the source of the problem isn't necessary of the GPUs specs and technology features, so i urge to check or re-check the settings for your game and GPU driver.
also i checked just now the specs of your GPU:http://www.eurocom.com/ec/release(150)ec
and it seems that it does have an adaptive V-synch feature.

Weird, I swear there's no such option as "adaptive" on my nvidia control panel. Is there a specific way to enable it or something?

Last edited:
Hmmm, this doesn't happen on my end. What CPU are you running the game on and is it overclocked? ???
Intel i5 2500 (non-K version). It's overclocked by constant CPU Ratio to 3.8 GHz, not TurboBoost (due to recording and processing audio "on the fly", which can be problematic if TurboBoost is on).

I've been playing the game on my 670mx and having good results so far with most of the settings on low and some tweaks keeping a more or less steady 30 fps, but I still get some annoying FPS drops in some areas especially during cutscenes, I think particularly where there are candles or other similar light sources. For some reason, in the swamp area for the "ladies of the wood" quest I also get a clear drop in performance.

I'm thinking this might be due to some shadow setting (I have shadow quality on low), does anyone know more?

Also, I'm using Riva Tuner since in my computer the Vertical Sync option on the nvdia control panel does not feature a "adaptive" option. Does anyone know if this is because my particular GPU does not support it or something?

My brother is playing just fine on low settings.
his system specs are:
GTX 560 and 8 Gb ram (sorry I don't recall his CPU, but it's from the same generation as his VGA)
I think you should disable cinematic depths of field.

Red CDR wise CDR i don't know if it is a bug but when uses aard with a horseman they fall down like matrix, well like a shit, and the wind effect in some trees is not so good they looks like plasterboard and stretched are gone be this effects enhanced or can be tweakeds. Great work CDR you are the best etc etc etc

when uses aard with a horseman they fall down like matrix

LOL yea like they do a leg split as they fall. Looks funny and weird. That's just one of it. There's those box crate carrying guys doing the funny leg animations too which STILL hasn't been fixed yet.

Attachments

• witcher3 2015-08-08 18-00-44.jpg
    witcher3 2015-08-08 18-00-44.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 57
Anyone know what the "dificultie" base value in the user.settings means?

Base value for mine is 1, and i was playing Death March, is that correct? Would lower or raising that number affect anything?

Anyone know what the "dificultie" base value in the user.settings means?

Base value for mine is 1, and i was playing Death March, is that correct? Would lower or raising that number affect anything?

mine is 3 and i'm playing on "Blood and broken bones" Death march should be 4 i think.

Continue your game > goto options> gameplay and it should say you difficulty there if you are not sure

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom