Character Builds, Ability Points, & How to Kick Ass Thread

+

Character Builds, Ability Points, & How to Kick Ass Thread

• Primarily Combat Build. Blood and Fear!

Votes: 193 34.9%
  • Mostly Signs. Your Mind Is Mine.

Votes: 74 13.4%
  • Alchemy. Mutant and Proud of It.

Votes: 82 14.8%
  • Hybrid, some of each. Polymath!

Votes: 215 38.9%
  • I also love the General set! Lots of use.

Votes: 27 4.9%
  • Can't decide. Many Respecs lie ahead!

Votes: 37 6.7%

• Total voters
any recipe can be found in merchants if you cant find them in the world. the Halfling herbalist outside oxenfurt, the halfling herbalist in novigrad some others here and there and finally gremist for every superior diagram you dont already have and you ll find them all I think.

any recipe can be found in merchants if you cant find them in the world. the Halfling herbalist outside oxenfurt, the halfling herbalist in novigrad some others here and there and finally gremist for every superior diagram you dont already have and you ll find them all I think.

Unfortunately not.

Some are using YALM as i was just testing it... Looks cool because of less fog but in the end it felt... idk, strange.

That was my first impression as well and it is the reason why I putted off using it until I got to my second playtrough. But the more I use it the more I like it, but it's definitely quite different from the vanilla lighting. I'm looking forward to when the Redkit releases so we can combine the best parts from the vanilla lighting and all these lighting mods in to one single (epic) lighting mod.

Oh and that picture with the Foglet was definitely badass, and the clipping is not really a huge problem to me in that screenshots since the foglet has a hole right trough his stomach.

Impressive screens! They looks much more "cleaner" than mine...especially the one with Ciri (hangin three) - Kidoki - And the same place with Geralt - mezziaz -..is due to Yalm???

All my latest screens are using YALM, I suspect the Hanged Man's Tree picture by Kidoki is also using YALM due to the intensive god rays.

Last edited:
The level of awesomness from these two are just too impossibru to handle! Btw what runes were u adding to your sword to get those awesome symbols on your sword? Mine aren't that beautiful ;/

I have to check as soon as I'll be back home coz i can't remember the name of the rune! ;)

Here it is...don't know which rune add the flaming words on the sword...

---------- Updated at 02:19 PM ----------

I've uploaded a couple of video (very very short indeed beacuse I've tried to record them in 4K), for those who could be interested, you can download them from here:

Final part of the Grave Hag contract (just the road from the grave to the village and talk to the peasant to get my reward...but ther's a very little spoiler tho...)

http://www.filedropper.com/witcher320150724074506649 (about 700MB)

Fight with a bear (about 330 MB)

http://mab.to/bodkTdsbM

Last edited:
I only just now discovered this thread!! Oh so much glorious glory in here!

Anyway, I consider myself a polymancer, so here is my current build (level 37):
http://www.gosunoob.com/witcher-3/s..._2|10xcombat_1_5|11xcombat_3_5|12xalchemy_2_3

And this is where I'm going with this:
http://www.gosunoob.com/witcher-3/s..._2|10xcombat_1_5|11xcombat_3_5|12xalchemy_4_3

I use wolven armor set with yrden runes. Ursine silver sword (for critical damage + chance), Griffin steel sword (same reason) with sign intensity and adrenaline runes respectively. I also use feline crossbow (most adrenaline gain). I also love the fact that I use one item of each school :) It also colors Geralt a bit more as a character I think.

Anyway, I use skills which I find fun. Can I make a more overpowered build? Sure, sure. But this build only uses the skills I find myself using most.
- I have like, 130 or so sign intensity, which is more than enough to make all signs useful.
- The signs that I find most awesome (axii and yrden) get boosted. Almost nothing is immune to yrden, and things that are need to be fought using only quen and swordskills anyway.
- The other signs (quen, igni) are fine on their own with this sign intensity and aard auto-equips it's alternative mode, so that's a plus :) (bug i'm hoping doesn't get fixed too soon >_> )
- the griffin school techniques gives plenty of stamina regen, plus, one of my two equipped potions is tawny oil.
- aqcuired tolerance is probably the best skill in all of alchemy, only costs three points and is right vailable! no build should omit this. It allws you to have 2 decoctions up (usually grave hag max damage increase for full health and ekidna heal on hit, which works great in unison!) and still guzzle potions like mad.
- my other equipped potion is maribor forest. Together with my combat slots, I can immediately get to 2 adrenaline points, and quickly t three in a couple of sword swings. This is a nice 30% boost to your damage.
- You can use the quick-rend method to get some awesome quick high crit chance and high crit damage sword strikes, or load up your rend with one two or three adrenaline points to finish the fight even faster.
- A usual fight would consist of:
0) If I know my enemy will be tough, I prepare with the appropriate potions and oils. I almost always have my decoctions up.
1) a surround aard, clearing close enemies.
2) an alternate yrden, keeping me same from projectiles
3) alt axii to create a buddy or a normal yrden, depending on the situation.
4) go to town with swords or bombs (actually, this last part is still in development, can't wait for clusterbombs!!)
5) If any enemy has to much aggro towards you, just igni or axii or yrden some more :) Then once disabled, repeat step 4

Anyway, this is my way of fighting and I really like it a lot. It allows me to feel like a witcher, since I am allowed the full spectrum of geralt's skill tree.

@PillarBiter.

I may try this build. I have tried a few builds from here,but I find many to be OP. Well,to be fair it's not the builds being OP,it's that the games not really hard enough in my opinion. All that is needed is quen and sword ( combat skills ). I don't even use oils or decoctions. I personally like decent fights...meaning I don't like killing in 1 or 2 hits. I like a more defensive style to make some fights last a liitle longer/make them feel worthwhile. To be defensive in this game you either need to invest in quen or abuse alchemy ( just my opinion ). I think we have too many skills that just deal damage. Take the ( red ) combat skills for example: They mostly just add attack power or adrenaline ,which can increase attack power. Because of this and certain gear types I feel i do way too much damage to enemies...which is not my style in a way,but I love sword play. I don't even use cat gear anymore,or decoctions.

I personally believe the combat tree ( red ) needs better defensive perks,because this forces us ( in a way ) to use quen or alchemy instead. Apart from arrow deflection and fleetfooted ( still unsure if fleetfooted works or even how it works ) there aren't anymore defensive perks. Deadly precision is not a defensive perk in my eyes,nor is counterattack either. We can counter regardless of that perk. But that perk basically just adds even more damage which I believe is not needed. Unless i'm mistaken,even adrenaline is more focused to attacking. Adrenaline should also buff defence some how. Some won't agree,but deadly precision and counter attack need to go and be replaced with better defensive techniques in the ( red ) combat tree. Thus not relying on quen,or alchemy to buff defence. All this is regarding death march difficulty.

Like I have said I have tried some good builds,and will probably try yours too. It's a shame that there are so many good builds,that in my opinion feel OP because the game can't cater to them. But this is just my opinion.

Sorry...had to get that off my chest.

Thanks for the build and explanations. :)

Would have loved more defensive perks in the combat tree, but sadly we got nothing. I would have liked that adrenaline provided damage resistance or something that added to survivability.

Thanks for the build and explanations. :)

You're welcome! :)

The only thing missing in my build is that I'd like more sign intensity (more towards 200 instead of 130).

I have some ideas for that... But I'll need to wait for NG+ before I can work that out.
- The synergy bonus should add like 30 or so intensity.
- I could switch wolven armor with griffin armor and griffin sword with wolven sword... but no idea if I'll like this look-and-RPG-wise. Probably not. Plus I'd only win like 20 or 30%. And lose critical damage.
- More likely is to wait for the legendary armor, and see what I can switch out there.
- I could equip another blue skill... but I wouldn't know what to get and which other skill to scrap without losing too much power.

would have loved more defensive perks in the combat tree, but sadly we got nothing. I would have liked that adrenaline provided damage resistance or something that added to survivability

I also think adrenaline could have had more uses.
First of all, flood of anger should have been optional (like double tap to activate instead of one tap).
Second, Sign intensity and defense should have also upgraded by 10% standardly with adrenaline, without the extra skill needed.
And third, it would have been nice to gain extra possible adrenaline points by level (eg, one extra point per 10 levels or something).
But that's just my opinion. No need to go spreading it around or anything.

Last edited:
@PillarBiter you should try Focus skill (yellow tree) if you're going for adrenaline build, especially if you don't have Synergy skill for bonus 50% from mutagens. This will give you +30% to sign intensity with 3 adrenaline points (+40% with 4 points if you use Superior Maribor Forest). Superior Petri's Philter will add another +25%.

@PillarBiter you should try Focus skill (yellow tree) if you're going for adrenaline build, especially if you don't have Synergy skill for bonus 50% from mutagens. This will give you +30% to sign intensity with 3 adrenaline points (+40% with 4 points if you use Superior Maribor Forest). Superior Petri's Philter will add another +25%.

I've heard this before about 4 adrenaline points... how do you get 4? and does it ever show on the screen?

Also, yeah I know about focus, but there's just no skill i'd be willing to sacrifice just for that.

also, yeah I chug petri's philter on more intense battles :)

I've heard this before about 4 adrenaline points... how do you get 4? and does it ever show on the screen?
It only shows in player stats screen. After drinking Superior Maribor Forest the max of adrenaline points is 4. Unfortunately the HUD shows only 3 bars for adrenaline so you can't tell from that if you have 3 or 4 points without checking it in stats. There's also a little trick to easily get max 4 points. Drink Superior Maribor Forest to increase max adrenaline points to 4 and also gain 1 point, then drink White Honey to clear potion effects and again drink Maribor Forest which will get 2 points now and repeat until you have 4/4.

It only shows in player stats screen. After drinking Superior Maribor Forest the max of adrenaline points is 4. Unfortunately the HUD shows only 3 bars for adrenaline so you can't tell from that if you have 3 or 4 points without checking it in stats. There's also a little trick to easily get max 4 points. Drink Superior Maribor Forest to increase max adrenaline points to 4 and also gain 1 point, then drink White Honey to clear potion effects and again drink Maribor Forest which will get 2 points now and repeat until you have 4/4.

Ah cool, that's why some skills seem to be bugged with this probably (flood of anger, hunter's instinct...)

In any case, I've updated my build. Instead of cluster bombs, I'm going with side effects. I hadn't realised this existed :p It basically doubles your potion toxicity!!! Madness! Also, it allows for god mode if necessary (cheap, I know, but good trick to have in the bag). Also, I'm taking whirl, rend, hard crits and 1 adrenaline point gain at the start as my 4 red slots now. This is like... effectively all i use the most. I love it!

I think i'm finally done deciding :) I should hit this build at lv60, which is a great celebration :D

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    268.2 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:
In any case, I've updated my build. Instead of cluster bombs, I'm going with side effects. I hadn't realised this existed :p It basically doubles your potion toxicity!!! Madness!
The Side Effects skill is a double edged sword. It can activate Cat potion and often it doesn't give any help but the opposite. If you worry about toxicity you should get Fast Metabolism, toxicity drops so fast you can have three decoctions active and still be able to drink potions every 5 seconds. This is one of the three my favorite and base skills (with Resolve and Acquired Tollerance), I will always waste 17 skill points for alchemy tree to unlock Fast Metabolism.

While waiting for NG+ I'm trying to find a build which will work the best for it. I'm level 41 so I'll be very overpowered in NG+ so I decided to not go for highest DPS and get rid of Synergy skill and go for variety instead. Wolven gear and swords, Whirl, Rend, alt Aard, alt Igni (hope it'll get fixed), Yrden, Quen and Axii tier 1. High DPS and sign intensity won't be needed for enemies close to my level, only red skull enemies need that. I think combat will be fun and challenging again then. Anyone else is going to get rid of Synergy and go for lower stats in NG+?

Any good builds besides combat?

I know there are builds that work good, but I find it hard to go to far away from combat. Specially with Superior Thunderbolts 100% crit chance. I know you can go pure alchemy and do just fine , but I am doing new game + and tried few sign builds and the time to kill stuff is horrendous compared to Combat/Alchemy.

I mean you can pretty much have every potion up 100%, and I refuse to even use Raffords, that is too much like cheating. But still being able to have 100% crit chance is kinda insane right? And keep it up 100% of the time to boot.

Anyone got any other builds that just rape stuff? I'd just like to try something different, but find myself coming back to combat over and over again.

With enough sign intensity the alt version of yrden becomes rather strong, and people move incredibly slow through the trap, Aard gets to the point of knocking down foes like 50% of the time and for a few seconds allowing insta kills. And if you rune for Igni you can easily burn down anyone. The sign tree has some not so desirable skills but with enough intensity you can really dominate.

With enough sign intensity the alt version of yrden becomes rather strong, and people move incredibly slow through the trap, Aard gets to the point of knocking down foes like 50% of the time and for a few seconds allowing insta kills. And if you rune for Igni you can easily burn down anyone. The sign tree has some not so desirable skills but with enough intensity you can really dominate.
i TRIED A full sign build with all sign mutagen and the 50% mutagen bonus, full master crafted griffin and all igni runes, but still seemed to burn the enemy fast, but nothing compared to just hitting them 1-2 times with a Whirl.

Maybe I did something wrong?

EDIT: just wanted to point out that in my current build I run with 6800 Tooltip dps in character sheet for the top listed DPS, silver I think. Just insane damage, kill anything in just like 1-2 hits. Hard to stop using it.

Last edited:
Max DPS Build (7500+ DPS)

I wanted to see how much the max DPS is in the game after this Hearts of Stone Update. Here is the configuration of the build:

Top Bottom