Welcome to The Hairy Bear: The Witcher Off-Topic [Archived]

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't been posting much lately, too much going on. We'll be moving in a few days and so we're trying to get our act together.

I realize this place has changed and there's not much motivation for most of us to stick around, but I still think about a few people from here from time to time. So I thought I'd report. I'm alive. Maybe I'll be more active in a few weeks once I've settled in my new country.

Where are you going? What's the reason for such a big move? I can't recall, you were in Sweden or Norway I believe.

Where are you going? What's the reason for such a big move? I can't recall, you were in Sweden or Norway I believe.

Germany, for professional and academic reasons. I'm actually on your side of the atlantic which is why it's such a big move!

And I specially regret the current status of the Witcher boards because there used to be a bunch of people I'd love to contact if I get to travel around Europe, but many of them appear to be gone.

Last edited:
"Forum is not the same as it used to be" impression.

Just replace Geralt with Triss and there you go.

I visited Germany as a teen and it was like dream land. Castles dotting the country side, amazing beer and pastries, people with marvelously stiff upper lips who weren't fond of Americans but courteous nonetheless. Huge boars in the black forest...supposedly. I thought it was pretty amazing.

And don't forget our well-known "Autobahn". You will cry like a baby if you drive the first time by ... incredible 140 km/h! :scared:

I visited Germany as a teen and it was like dream land. Castles dotting the country side, amazing beer and pastries, people with marvelously stiff upper lips who weren't fond of Americans but courteous nonetheless. Huge boars in the black forest...supposedly. I thought it was pretty amazing.

Wait what? Sure it was Germany and not Disneyland? :what2:

:wisegirl:

---------- Updated at 07:20 PM ----------

Germany, for professional and academic reasons. I'm actually on your side of the atlantic which is why it's such a big move!

And I specially regret the current status of the Witcher boards because there used to be a bunch of people I'd love to contact if I get to travel around Europe, but many of them appear to be gone.

Which city will be your new home?
(And I sure hope it will truly be that, a home :) )

Great game between Germany and Poland right now. We're in the lead, but just barely - 2:1.

Götze scores his second and makes it 3:1, yay :wazzzup:

Last edited:
Sehr viel Glück und vielleicht auch ein bisschen Spaß in Deutschland!

Vielen dank! Wo hast du deutsch gelernt? Bist du auch von Deutschland?

Ich habe noch viel zu lernen...

Which city will be your new home?
(And I sure hope it will truly be that, a home :) )

Thanks! Not being too specific (on purpose, I'm paranoid :p) I'm going North West. Everyone has been very welcoming and helpful, I think I will like it there :)

Vielen dank! Wo hast du deutsch gelernt? Bist du auch von Deutschland?

Leider nicht! Ich habe Deutsch bei meiner Universität gelernt aber ich habe die Chance Deutschland zu besuchen noch nie gehabt. Meistens lese oder spiele ich auf Deutsch aber bin ich noch nicht gerade flüssig in der Sprache. It's a fascinating language, especially when compared with Anglo-Saxon, and its mediaeval literature is rather splendid. I hope you enjoy your time there!

Last edited:
I could make that out and i barely know any German save a few words ^^

In hindsight i regret not taking German in school, With Swedish having so much German influence already i could probably have become somewhat "fluent" in it and actually have remembered it.

Instead i went for French and despite being pretty good at it i can't remember a single thing now -.-

Quel dommage! Since I don't know Swedish -- only a wee bit of Old Norse -- I'm curious how it compares with German.

Chuck some sentences at me in German (With English Translation) and ill write them in Swedish and see for yourself ^^
Although Dutch is significantly easier which geographically feels a bit odd.

Speaking of languages although not spoken :D
I saw a German Sign language video a while back and i could understand about 70-80% in that, that obviously does not apply for the entire language but still the differences in Sign language tend to be a lot bigger than in spoken languages so i wonder what's going on there, i need to look into that :p

Chuck some sentences at me in German (With English Translation) and ill write them in Swedish and see for yourself ^^
Although Dutch is significantly easier which geographically feels a bit odd.

Interesting, I've an acquaintance who's Dutch, and she told me that she found German to be very difficult when she was in school in the Netherlands.

Here are a few rather easy sentences:

Der Unbekannter war groß und hässlich mit einem bösen Blick. Auf dem Rücken trug er zwei Schwerter: ein aus Silber und das ander aus Stahl. Er hatte eine unangenehme Stimme.

The stranger was tall and ugly, with an evil gaze. On his back he carried two swords: one of Silver and the other of Steel. He had a disagreeable voice.

(Who could that be, I wonder?)

Interesting, I've an acquaintance who's Dutch, and she told me that she found German to be very difficult when she was in school in the Netherlands.

Here are a few rather easy sentences:

Der Unbekannter war groß und hässlich mit einem bösen Blick. Auf dem Rücken trug er zwei Schwerter: ein aus Silber und das ander aus Stahl. Er hatte eine unangenehme Stimme.

The stranger was tall and ugly, with an evil gaze. On his back he carried two swords: one of Silver and the other of Steel. He had a disagreeable voice.

(Who could that be, I wonder?)

Den obekante var lång och ful med en ond blick. På hans rygg bar han två svärd: ett av silver och den andra av stål: han hade en oangenäm röst.

Something to note Der Unbekannter would in common speech be "Främlingen" however "den obekante" is just as valid, just uncommon.
Hässlich could be translated as Hiskelig or Gräslig.
Stimme has a similiar word in swedish "Stämma" it means voice aswell but is very uncommon, mainly used when talking about Singing.
"Hon har en vacker stämma" "She has a beautiful voice" it's a very fancy word.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom