[MOD Help] Changing the Inventory screen background

+
[MOD Help] Changing the Inventory screen background

I asked about this a few times before but didn't really get anywhere, so I will try again...

I really want to change the Witcher 3 inventory black background to something a little more resembling the old inventory screen, as seen here:
http://abload.de/img/witcher_3_14079476398tra25.jpg

The problem is, I have not even been able to figure out which files to edit. I assume it is not as simple as editing textures...maybe it is a CSS-type implementation?

If anyone can shed some light on this, I'd really appreciate it. Even if it is only to say it can't be done because we don't have the tools for it or whatever. I just think the interface could look so much better (as it did before they went all mainstream with it)...

Last edited:
I really hope there is someone capable of doing this. Would totally swap the old one instead of current one. However, it won't be an easy task in any way, so good luck to whoever want to make this happen.

Guest 2364765

The problem is, I have not even been able to figure out which files to edit. I assume it is not as simple as editing textures...maybe it is a CSS-type implementation?
In this case it actually is.

"menu" UI archetype functions by script calling menu with given name and also specifying which background to load for that UI.
This also means that by modifying default background texture, it would also apply for several other menus using that specific background texture.

Unless you want to do that, it'd be a better solution to add new texture and then modify UI/input scripts to specifically load the new texture in case of inventory menu.

If you don't care then you can just edit this texture: gameplay\gui\inventory\inventory_background.xbm

In this case it actually is.

"menu" UI archetype functions by script calling menu with given name and also specifying which background to load for that UI.
This also means that by modifying default background texture, it would also apply for several other menus using that specific background texture.

Unless you want to do that, it'd be a better solution to add new texture and then modify UI/input scripts to specifically load the new texture in case of inventory menu.

If you don't care then you can just edit this texture: gameplay\gui\inventory\inventory_background.xbm

Thank you! So I was not too far off with my limited knowledge LOL
I did find the inventory_background.xbm file but it seems impossible to uncook that file. I have tried many times with no success.
If you know how to do this and can provide specific instructions, I would be eternally grateful!

Guest 2364765

Thank you! So I was not too far off with my limited knowledge LOL
I did find the inventory_background.xbm file but it seems impossible to uncook that file. I have tried many times with no success.
If you know how to do this and can provide specific instructions, I would be eternally grateful!
Yes, it seems that ModKit being unrefined POS it is, doesn't want to chew that particular XBM and that's that.
So your best bet is just to make texture from scratch and then import it as that XBM.

Yes, it seems that ModKit being unrefined POS it is, doesn't want to chew that particular XBM and that's that.
So your best bet is just to make texture from scratch and then import it as that XBM.

Mmmmm....well, that doesn't sound like a bad idea, except I don't know what files may be included in the XBM? Is it likely to be only a single texture file with the same name, for example "inventory_background.tga"?

[edit] I'm stupid. Of course XBM is a bitmap file format, not a container file.
I'm going to give this a try later. Fingers crossed, it will just work!

Last edited:
I don't think it's that easy. That background is only the panel behind Geralt, the main background remains the same. I suppose you need to edit swf files and that xbm.

I don't think it's that easy. That background is only the panel behind Geralt, the main background remains the same. I suppose you need to edit swf files and that xbm.

Ugh...I've not come across any relevant SWF files so if you know of any please let me know.

---------- Updated at 01:35 PM ----------

ther's also a specific env for the menu lighting on geralt FYI

Not too worried about that. Really only want to replace the background with something nicer looking than black...

Ugh...I've not come across any relevant SWF files so if you know of any please let me know.
You need to use Mod Editor for that.

Attachments

• edit.png
    edit.png
    55.3 KB · Views: 175
  • inv2.png
    inv2.png
    114.1 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions, but I've not been successful with this at all. This is probably why no one else has tried it either...because it can't be done.
Frustrating as hell because it seems like something that shouldn't be that hard to achieve, but there it is.

Top Bottom