Getting into the Witcher universe.

+
Getting into the Witcher universe.

Hello, everyone! Over the years I've heard quite a lot about the Witcher. It was one of those games I always wanted to play, but my PC just is not up to par. Now, with the Witcher 2 coming to X-box 360, I'll finally get a chance to jump in!

However, I don't want to "jump in" at 2. I know, CDR has said the Witcher 2 is pretty much its own story, but I would still like to experience the first Witcher. Which brings me to my question, and the general point to this thread.

Do any of you fine folks know of a good full playthrough out there on youtube? It doesn't have to have all the side quests, though that would be nice. I've found a few "Let's plays" of it, but they aren't really my thing. I don't want commentary, just the story.

Secondary question: I would also like to read the books, the ones that have been translated into English anyway. In correlation to the game, when do they take place?

And finally, were the comics ever translated and re-published in English?

Edit* I also tried searching for a similar thread, but couldn't find any. Sorry if there is one, and I just used the search feature incorrectly :)

Welcome to the forum :) I don't know about your other questions, but as far as the books go, they take place before the games. There are two short story collections (The Last Wish and Sword of Destiny) followed by five novels (Blood of Elves, Times of Contempt, Baptism of Fire, Tower of the Swallow, and Lady of the Lake).

The Last Wish and Blood of Elves have been officially translated into English. Sword of Destiny, Times of Contempt, and Baptism of Fire have been translated unofficially by fans. They are working on the last two novels as well but haven't finished yet. Here's the link:

http://en.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?/topic/20967-our-community-fan-translations/

Hey, thanks a lot! Not only for the welcome, but the link! I had read not all the books were translated yet, I'm very glad the fans stepped up to the plate. :)

Now I just need to finish up World War Z and begin my journey with the Witcher. Hopefully I can finish it all before the 17th! ;)

Taking into account that you don't like Let's Plays so much, I'd definetely recommend you this guy (Toegoff), he's the best LPer I know... He's very funny, but also his commentary is very meaningful. He's in love with the game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWvoiaWYBwA&feature=plcp&context=C43f6eb5VDvjVQa1PpcFNeXV3IyB-hF7AhLusEkoAbu_pJU8-aK9w%3D

There are others, and I remember watching another guy doing a "silent" let's play, at the time I did my first playthrough (early 2009), very good one...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgRtiEong4&feature=BFa&list=PL74716BEAC2C78A64&lf=context

I recommend Toegoff´s LP too. If you dont mind that he doesnt play it on highest details. But his commentary is not annoying, which is very important for Let´s Player. Witcher 1 is fun game to play but not always fun to just watch, since there is lot of running around. So good commentary is welcomed.

And I strongly recommend watching this before watching actual game. It´s very good summary of the world of Witcher.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5K0L73ERMw[/media]

Hi NightTrauma

Reading the books is not necessary to play the games, but definitely you will understand a lot of more details and hidden references. There are a lot scattered through the games, more in W1 than W2.

As for the rest, my friends in the forum can point you the very best walkthrough videos available on the internet

toegoft is the best I would say watch his, tha =t is what I am doing now. I own the witcher 1 but I dont like too play games on the pc so I am just watching his lets play.

Thanks for the video links and recommendations. I watched toegoft's first video, and he wasn't cracking jokes during dialogue, which is a huge plus. Since it is a blind let's play, I imagine he will stay quiet for the same reason I want him to do so.

I'll go further into his Let's Play, and if he gets annoying I'll just swap to the silent one JackintheGreen also linked.

Babli, the World of the Witcher video was quite interesting. It just made me want to delve further into the lore.

secondchildren, hello right back! I know it is not necessary, but I tend to really get into something if I find it interesting enough, and the Witcher seems to fit all the criteria of something I'd love. So, I see no reason not to read all I can, and really get immersed in the world.

Another question if you please, are there books in the Witcher 2? Collecting all the books in the Elder Scrolls games was always a favorite thing of mine to do. (Still haven't found all the new ones in Skyrim)

NightTrauma said:
Another question if you please, are there books in the Witcher 2? Collecting all the books in the Elder Scrolls games was always a favorite thing of mine to do. (Still haven't found all the new ones in Skyrim)

Yes, there are books in TW2, some are there just so you know more about the lore and some are actually useful in helping you with certain quests.

gregski said:
Yes, there are books in TW2, some are there just so you know more about the lore and some are actually useful in helping you with certain quests.
Awesome! Can you take these books with you? Or do they just update into a codex like Dragon Age?

NightTrauma said:
Awesome! Can you take these books with you? Or do they just update into a codex like Dragon Age?

Not only are they physical (within the game), but they also serve a purpose for someone like Geralt. You need to learn about monsters, how to hunt them and how to prepare for them. Reading these books will update his and your knowledge.

Apart from that there are many other kinds of books you will enjoy reading within the game.

gregski said:
You can carry them around :)

gregski said:
Not only are they physical (within the game), but they also serve a purpose for someone like Geralt. You need to learn about monsters, how to hunt them and how to prepare for them. Reading these books will update his and your knowledge.

Apart from that there are many other kinds of books you will enjoy reading within the game.
The more I learn about this game, the more I'm excited to play it! Are you able to mess with most objects in the world, similar to Elder Scrolls? Or is it limited to key things?

A few more questions: From what I've read, the game is open world and non-linear in the sense that you can explore and do side quests. But it is also broken into chapters, and apparently each chapter has its own area to explore, and you cannot go back to the previous chapters area.

Can someone please explain this further? And secondly to that, how "open" is the world? Is it like Elder Scrolls where if I see it, I can go to it? You can go off the beaten path, and all that. Or is it more akin to Dragon Age? Where you are limited to specific paths?

Also, what is the loot system like? (If there is one) and how is the combat? I've heard it is more "realistic" in that a few hits and you're dead. Kind of like Dark Souls, which I loved.

Aver

Forum veteran
NightTrauma said:
The more I learn about this game, the more I'm excited to play it! Are you able to mess with most objects in the world, similar to Elder Scrolls? Or is it limited to key things?

A few more questions: From what I've read, the game is open world and non-linear in the sense that you can explore and do side quests. But it is also broken into chapters, and apparently each chapter has its own area to explore, and you cannot go back to the previous chapters area.

Can someone please explain this further? And secondly to that, how "open" is the world? Is it like Elder Scrolls where if I see it, I can go to it? You can go off the beaten path, and all that. Or is it more akin to Dragon Age? Where you are limited to specific paths?

Also, what is the loot system like? (If there is one) and how is the combat? I've heard it is more "realistic" in that a few hits and you're dead. Kind of like Dark Souls, which I loved.

It's not open world game. Don't expect that because you will be disappointed. There are 3 acts (there are 2 different second acts, which one you will have depend on your decision in first act) and they take place in different places that are far from each other so you can't go back to previous one. There is nice amount side quests and some exploration but it's not even close to any Elder Scrolls game. This game is heavy storydriven and focus more about story and characters than about exploration.

NightTrauma said:

Didn't play Elder Scrolls, so I can't compare.

NightTrauma said:

Yes, it's correct about the chapters and non-linearity.

NightTrauma said:

It is not open-world a la Skyrim. You can go off the beaten path, but there are still some constraints and boundaries that won't let you go anywhere you wish. But it is a story-driven game, so this is design by choice. And it's pretty well balanced in terms of backtracking between quests. The world is also so beautifully crafted (no copy-pasted) that it rewards exploration with little details and finds, beautiful vistas, it really immerses you.

NightTrauma said:

The combat is clearly inspired by Demon/Dark Souls. It was stated by the devs and it certainly feels like it. The system is pretty complex, as you have many things at your disposal: 2 types of swords (steel and silver) with 2 types of attack each(light & heavy), magical signs, throwing daggers, bombs and traps, blocking and rolling.

If you played Dark Souls I would say you will feel at home. I did when I switched from Witcher 2 to DS.

There is one difference though - you can't drink potions while fighting. It can be only done when you're medidating at a safe location. This game requires preparation rather than quick chugging potions while surrounded by 5 enemies.

The game world not being as open as I thought is a slight disappointment, but knowing the combat is certainly inspired and similar to Demons/Dark souls counter-acts that.

Since you can't go back, is there a new game+ feature?

NightTrauma said:
The game world not being as open as I thought is a slight disappointment, but knowing the combat is certainly inspired and similar to Demons/Dark souls counter-acts that.

Since you can't go back, is there a new game+ feature?

Not really. You have to understand that this is story-heavy (and I mean HEAVY) game and therefore it would be extremely difficult for it to be totally open-world.

There is no new game+ feature. But you are supposed to play this game at least twice, as one decision at the end of Chapter 1 affects the whole Chapter 2 - where you go, what characters you meet, what quests you do. So with 1 playthrough you don't get to experience the entire game and plot. Plus even all the minor choices along the way may actually alter the story according to your choices, many times you'll be surprised how different effects you get after choosing other reply in some dialogues :) So yeah, prepare for at least 2 playthroughs.

New Game+ mode wouldn't really fit Witcher well I think, as starting a new game lets you choose a different character development path and your specialization (magic, alchemy, swordsmanship), which makes another playthroughs more varied and interesting (and sometimes - more difficult).

I love a good story heavy game, so my excitement is not lessened.

I'm glad to hear things can really change up based on the choices you make. It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I'd like to thank all of you for taking the time to answer these questions. You have been a great help in giving me a better understanding of what this game is about. As I get further along the books and this let's play, and of course, get my copy of the Witcher 2, I imagine you folks will be seeing more of me. ;)

Top Bottom