The Witcher movie adaptation

+
The Witcher movie adaptation

Hi guys!

Sorry if it has already beed discussed...

Would like to see a movie adaptation of The Witcher? Yes, I'm aware of polish version, but we all know how that turned out... I'm talking high profile production, with acclaimed, talented crew and a solid budget.

Personally, I'd love to watch The Witcher movie, and who knows, if Witcher goes mainstream (come on, it's possible!) we might get one. And if we do, what story would you like it to tell? One that follows events in the books, in the games, or a completely original witcher tale?

Also, what would be your perfect cast? Please share your thoughts :) My vote goes to Peter Jackson as a director. As for Geralt... idk, maybe Chris 'Thor' Hemsworth?

Movie, no - I think it'd work much better as a high production TV show, like Rome or Game of Thrones. The first 2 books of short stories would pretty much make a season or two right there :)

Movies from a lot of material almost always fail. LotR would have been one without the extended editions in my opinion. Plus they always feel the need to tell the story for a story-virgin (for a lack of better word). Someone who when said Axii replies bless you.

As said before a series could really kick buttocks. They can introduce viewer much better to the world and its people.

This is already been longly discussed in the forum
Hello NickScryer!

Unfortunalty, I lack of your same enthusiasm when talking about movie from a unique franchise. Sapkowsky also said in a interview that he's open to any Hollywood offer, so I guess that he would like to see The Witcher on the screen (or at least he likes the sound of money $_$)

Would I like to see The Witcher hollywood adaptation?
No thanks. They tend to trash anything they touch, dumb down all reduce all in watching hotty chicks. Look what they did to my beloved Lotr ! I hate Peter Jackson for that

NickScryer said:
Hi guys!

Would like to see a movie adaptation of The Witcher? Yes, I'm aware of polish version, but we all know how that turned out... I'm talking high profile production, with acclaimed, talented crew and a solid budget.

You should try watching the TV series. The fact that the visual effects are um... conservative, doesn't detract from the actual qualities of the show, which I think are decent and probably better than your average fantasy series, if you know what to look for.

NickScryer said:
Personally, I'd love to watch The Witcher movie, and who knows, if Witcher goes mainstream (come on, it's possible!) we might get one. And if we do, what story would you like it to tell? One that follows events in the books, in the games, or a completely original witcher tale?

Why on earth would you want the witcher to go mainstream? It's not like it is underground or cult or anything like that, but mainstream? That would involve toning down a lot of content to make it "appropriate" for mainstream audiences.

There is no need for a movie based on the books. There never is, aren't books good enough already? The game is also good on its own, and probably better at storytelling than a mainstream movie, so again, no.

Oh no, not Peter Jackson - it would drown in fancy special fx, while at the same time make people fall asleep because the movie would be 10 hours long... He made good movies back in the days (Braindead, Bad Taste etc) but now he just does the same as everybody else: going overkill on fx, and forgets all about how to make interesting movies.
12:50, press Return.

Honestly, I´m not very enthusiastic about this idea... it´s not because of the unsatisfying experience with the polish version, I´m just not sure the Witcher is a movie material. Making a series, well, with the huge success of The Game of Thrones, everybody saw that a decent fantasy series can be made, even in Hollywood, so I also understand people who would welcome that...

But some things are just not meant to be transfer into a movie/series. Books are definitely enough, and I personally enjoy creating settings from the books in my head and wondering about the characters´ appearance on my own. I know that filmmakers are literally capable of anything these days, but this thought paradoxically doesn´t comfort me... Especially an hollywood adaptation isn´t exactly to my liking.

The witcher going mainstream? I hope that never happens. It´s well known in Europe, and I´m sorry that in America it is mainly known as computer games, but I don´t see it as an excuse for trying to make a big money out of it...

The critical and commercial disaster that is "John Carter of Mars" [Disney is now preparing to take a $165 million loss on it] will give studios any excuse they want to avoid taking on a project like a Witcher movie.

Even if it were a good idea, it would be a bad risk.

NickScryer said:
Hi guys!

Hi Nick,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsuZqbI63bE

;)

Btw, the Game Of Thrones tv show is not this super-great thing everybody is making it to be, imho. It's good at giving you the illusion that there's lot of action going on without actually showing you much action. A well done fantasy setting soap opera but ultimately a soap opera. I never read the books though, and after seing the tv show I don't think I will :)

I don't know why people dislike the Witcher TV show so badly. It's not super high budget and some visual effects are cheesy... so what? Who cares about that? It has decent story telling and I like the fact that it has Polish faces and voices. It's a Polish thing and I would hate it being defiled by Hollywood.

They take their liberties adapting story and characters but that's part of the process. Even CD Projekt took some liberties (Adda in TW1 for example) but nobody seemed to complain.

I recommend the OP to watch the series on youtube. No Hollywood movie is necessary.

Top Bottom